Secured promotion, now what?

Hi guys, just secured promotion from Serie B to Serie A this season, after a fantastic and unexpected (was predicted 17th) season :) However, now that the season ended, I'm a little confused about what to do next.

Especially about finances...I managed very well my wage budget, but in Serie B I had a limit (couldn't pay more than 5.75K per week). Now that I'm in Serie A I can offer any wage I want. Hopefully, all the players I want to keep had been already signed on long/medium term contracts within the Serie B wage limits, but should I give them contract renewals?

Also more generally, what you guys do when the season ends? scouting for next season? some friendlies?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by gam945

Firstly, congrats on the unlikely promotion. It's a really good feeling achieving something like that.

With regards to contracts, if they're on long term deals, I wouldn't offer them a new one just for the sake of it. Maybe if there's some interest in them, then do so (but only if it doesn't break the bank).

Once I finish a season, I usually work out who I want to keep and who I want to move on and then scout for relevant replacements. I only schedule friendlies once my pre-season start date is determined.

If I get a promotion and I don't think I can sustain it in the league above (especially with shock promotions), I might see what job offers are out there and use my 'risen stocks' to get myself a better job offer either in the same country or abroad.

Thanks! Okay, I understand your point. Also, after having read some articles about the subject, I think setting a salary scale would be the most important thing.

Also another question, does the star ratings change a lot when going up because of the new league reputation? For the players that I still need to develop, I base myself on the coaches report, so if they have a 4.5 star potential rating in Serie B but a 3 star potential rating in Serie A it would be a problem for my squad planning...

Don't worry, you'll be fine and overachieve in Serie A too... (was it your first season? Padova's squad looks awful, it's a tall order achieving promotion with them in the first year without either briniging in a lot of new faces or employing one of the "game-breaking" tactics)

Anyway:

Indeed Star Ratings are relative to your squad, so if, most of your players NOW are 4* and you bring in a Serie A player who's heads and shoulders better than them, their Star Rating will drop down to reflect the new "balance of power" within the team.

Scouts and Coaches will tell you "X is a decent Serie A striker" based on the average ability of a Serie A striker BUT his Star Rating won't adapt to that... Basically, your mediocre striker can be rated 2.5* or 3.5* depending on the quality of YOUR alternatives up front, but his baseline ability will always be "good Serie B striker" compared to the expected ability needed to make in in Serie A.

About budget: there are enough free players who'll join your team despite being a sure-fire relegation candidate. Often there are a few hidden gems or aging veterans who'll sign for reasonable wages. Also, try to work out some loan deals with Top Clubs who may want to send you some of their backups or prospects on loan.
Last, but not least, if you can afford it, scout abroad in cheaper areas. Considering Seria A's convoluted non-EU rules, I'd go for Scandinavia (plenty of decent players in the 120-130CA range available for under 2M) or the Balkan/Eastern Europe nations who are already part of the EU.

Then arrange some friendlies to rake in some extra money. And don't worry too much about the tactical side. As a newly promoted team expected to get steamrolled, most AI teams will play attacking football against you, allowing you to counter them to death (if that's your gameplan).
The tougher part of the season will be the second one, when AI will become more cautious because you'll likely have overachieved and they won't see you as pushovers anymore. There your team's weaknesses will become more of an issue.

13 hours ago, gam945 said:

Also another question, does the star ratings change a lot when going up because of the new league reputation? For the players that I still need to develop, I base myself on the coaches report, so if they have a 4.5 star potential rating in Serie B but a 3 star potential rating in Serie A it would be a problem for my squad planning...

12 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

I believe the stars are relevant to your squad, not the level you’re playing. Your scout will reference the caliber relative to level via text in his report. 

someone can confirm this.

Yes, you are correct @s0ni42 the stars are relevant to your squad. 

Check your scout reports to see what level they are playing at

Sorry guys, hadn't the chance to reply earlier. Thanks for all your answers, it was of great use!

My strategy is to give me 2-3 seasons to become a team that is sure to stay up, and I have already many great 17-21 years old player. Will use the loans to almost build a first team from scratch, and make transfers of young players that I will develop during those 2-3 seasons so they be my first team players after this lapse of time.

However, this will be at expense of team cohesion during the first stages of the season...but it will also maintain my finances, guess that's a good trade-off