Buidling around a Trequartista

Hi all,

It's been a while but I picked up FM19 once more. This time around I want to base my team around a Trequartista, since I never really did that to success before.
As per tradition I'll be playing AC Milan, and I understand that I might need to reshape part of the team to be able to support attacks through a Treq. I tried doing this in the past, but failed miserably and abandonned the mission.

At this point I'm still debating using him in the ST or AM position - and still not decided on tactic. What I do know is that I don't want to use a 4231 Wide.

Anyone tried something similar to great success, which I can creatively steal some idea's from!?

Not being really helpful here, but I always used a Treq as a support player. I read in the 12 step guide a couple of years ago that even though he has an attack duty, you should think of him as a support player. It's been a while since I used him myself, so can't help in terms of shape. But thought that might be worthwhile to share :) 

I've used a Treq in both the AMC position (a 442/4411 hybrid - FM16) and the AMR position (in a 4123DM - FM19).  Both times the players nailed the role and were basically my star players.

Wrote about them too:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/364527-developing-my-4-4-2/

https://community.sigames.com/topic/465977-developing-my-4123dm-wide-tiki-taka/

The best player I have managed on this years game was as a Trequartista - Alejandro Goméz at Atalanta. Played him on the wide left as one and he just dominated games so often for me. Not tried one as a ST on this years game though.

Note: He will track back and work a lot less than say a IF (S), so even though on a attack he may act somewhat like a support player, defensively he will not.

I use one up front but it's in a 4-2-3-1 he gets a fair few assists but scores a load more but no reason it wouldn't work in 4-1-2-3. An IF(A) & a midfielder that Get's Further Forward centrally  can benefit off him & help him out 

He'll need to be an exceptional player & as @yellowforever says, closing down & tracking back isn't his thing but the more Work Rate he has, the better  

I used a Trequartista in a save with FC Union Berlin in the 2nd German Bundesliga in a 5 3 2 system. The reason was that I like 2 forward systems and want a pass-playing forward to support a poacher or similar forward. I had a cheap older player from Spain who was slow but technically and mentally very good. That worked very well and I achieved promotion.

Edited by Zardoz