Sports Interactive Community
WojciechZed

Most hoped for improvement in FM20

So it's highly probably I won't buy this version as I'm not one of those who buys these games every year, but I will certainly check out the demo before I make my mind up entirely.

What improvements are you most hoping to see in FM20? I'll be honest, mine are mostly esthetic. I know many players don't care us much about the esthetics, and I was personally quite happy to just have the 2D engine improved year after year, but once you take that decision to go 3D, then I think you have to put some effort into making it resemble reality, so now that we have 3D, it matters to me. Anyway, I would like to see

- The players looking more like their real life selves. Doesn't have to be exact, that would be too much to ask, and of course the graphics aren't expected to be amazing, but at the very least getting the skin tone and hairstyle right so they look like somebody who resembles the player it is from a distance. I'm aware as far as hairstyle goes, that might not be possible due to licensing, something I still find odd and a great real shame.

- Stadiums looking more like the real thing. Again, I get it, copyright laws, but at least try to make it look similar. As I have said before, the Camp Nou looks nothing like the real thing, while other grounds, like Juventus's, Inter/AC Milan's or Borussia Dortmund's stadiums, look great. Perhaps we could make more stadiums look like their real life counterparts?

- Match engine improvements. For most people this is probably the number one improvement they want to see. I can understand that, but I'm less harsh on the creators here because I understand how difficult it must be to do. Personally I think, for the most part, the match engine is very enjoyable, but of course it could use improvement. The much discussed amount of times the ball hits the woodwork, the horrendously high ratio of unsuccessful crosses and the amount of times players smack a shot straight into oncoming defenders when they should pick a better option, the odd and unnatural movements from the players in various situations, and many other things could be worked on.

All I want at this point is a better Match Engine. Last year I loved the new tactics and training modules, that's the kind of changes that have an impact and make you truly want to buy the new version. But a better ME would top it all.

I already pre-ordered FM20, for the simple reason that I love FM19 and it's worth the upgrade. The features announced (so far), tho, don't get me excited.

I was travelling with the tablet this weekend, so I fired up FM2006 for a bit, as it runs much faster than the latest FM on that low powered device. 

Anyway, the thing that really stood out for me, and the main thing that would prevent me from going back to the older FM was the general usability - yes the current match engine is noticeably improved, but the general usability is lightyears ahead in the latest version. 

So, for me personally, it's those incremental improvements that make the game more polished and usable. So, as much I'd 'want' better graphics and match engine improvements, what I really need is for the continued refinement and improvement of the existing features as a whole, rather any major leap forward in any one particular area. For me, personally, that would make it a much better overall experience. 

Much improved ME so that there is some relation to real football.

Much improved match day graphics such as stadiums, lighting, crowd etc

As a Liverpool fan, it’d be good for City to not be absolutely garbage in EVERY save, so Liverpool walk the league every season and Pep gets sacked at the end of the season.

There is only one answer here for me - Match Engine, closely followed by better AI squad building. Its pretty much all I care about. Simples!!

Definitely the ME and also a firm solution to the juddering and lagging in the ME.  I'm playing on a graphics driver that is from 2016 because it's the only one that works to and extent and even then if it rains in the game the juddering returns.  So frustrating and it does ruin the experience.

No broken tactics. Going from Vanarama South to Treble winners in less than a decade isn't as fun when you know your high line gegenpress is a game breaker.

Performance. I want everything to be as close to "instant" as possible, when leaving one screen to another. I hate when it feels clunky and unresponsive.

9 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

One thing I'd like to see changed one day is the day of the year that the game updates the promotions/relegations being earlier than it is. Either that or improve the AI so that if you've won promotion to a higher leaguer, better players will be  interested straight away as opposed to having to wait till late June (or equivalent) for your team to 'officially' move up a division. It's been a bugbear for years now. 

Aaaah so that might be why my Belgian goalkeeper at Zenit who I was trying to offload because of the foreign player limit, wasn't interested in a move to Sheff United. I was thinking, why wouldn't he want to move to a Premier League club rather than being 2nd choice at Zenit? Well, Sheff United got promoted that summer, and the offer was made in May or June, so as far as he was concerned, he was still negotiating with a championship side.

I have already mentioned getting the correct shade of skin. How about more hair colour shades. Have you see the colour of players like De Bruyne, who have strawberry blonde hair IRL? It couldn't be redder.

Another thing I'd like to see is a way to track your manager attributes. A few seasons into the game, I can never remember what scores I started with, so I've no idea if they've went up or down. If we can track the changes for players, surely it can't be difficult to add that for yourself. 

On 15/10/2019 at 00:35, Dagenham_Dave said:

One thing I'd like to see changed one day is the day of the year that the game updates the promotions/relegations being earlier than it is. Either that or improve the AI so that if you've won promotion to a higher leaguer, better players will be  interested straight away as opposed to having to wait till late June (or equivalent) for your team to 'officially' move up a division. It's been a bugbear for years now. 

This already happens to a large extent - players will see when teams are likely to be achieving promotion/European qualification and their interest changes accordingly. There are other factors to take into account (such as the player viewing what their current club achieves) which mean that there are additional changes when teams are confirmed in their decisions for the following season. 

59 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

This already happens to a large extent - players will see when teams are likely to be achieving promotion/European qualification and their interest changes accordingly. There are other factors to take into account (such as the player viewing what their current club achieves) which mean that there are additional changes when teams are confirmed in their decisions for the following season. 

You say that, but in the season I just played, I had a winger on loan from Celtic (I was in SPFL2). I won the league, therefore was promoted and tried to get him back for the following season, but got the message 'would prefer to play with higher quality players'. As soon as the leagues were updated, I tried again, and both him and the club were willing to do the loan. And I've seen that happen a few times. 

Tbh I am looking forward to most of the features that have been revealed. Was disappointed with Stadia since my country isn’t on the list of nations that will have access, but the list of small features revealed have me quite eager to play.

On 15/10/2019 at 22:36, Prej said:

Equipping footballers with the body part commonly known as a "chest",

I really hope this isn't sliding down the slippery slope into calls for the women's SL to be included? :Bowen:

Edited by Snorks

I could write a 100 page post on what I would like improved, it's like SI only bother to fix something if it breaks the game, if you can still hit Continue, it's like it just doesn't get considered worth giving love.

Like I've gotten my club to be the best in the world, with an incredible squad of super stars (actually ran into the problem that my hot prospects grew up and I had two A teams worth of stars, broke the budget), but for some reason I feel like my club is a feeder club to all those clubs that fail to beat me, I keep getting non-negotiable bid's BELOW there value for my key players... Both Pogba and De Gea left for PSG for silly low bids and I couldn't get the player to stay and even while I kept winning everything, I keep getting those damn non-negotiable low bids and have to  take or accept a lockerroom riot when I reject it. I don't get why the game is even coded to do this stupid crap, I've never seen anyone bid on Messi, unless the player was made available by the club.

On 15/10/2019 at 10:46, WojciechZed said:

I have already mentioned getting the correct shade of skin. How about more hair colour shades. Have you see the colour of players like De Bruyne, who have strawberry blonde hair IRL? It couldn't be redder.

Ooooh I just had a look in the editor and realised you can change the hair colour and skin tone. That's great, and makes this much less of an issue, if you can just 'put something right' yourself in the editor if you disagree with it. 

Couple of questions on that, if anybody knows the answer. There is a 'changeable' option for hair, and then 2 further options for that (one of them is 'drastic', and I can't remember the other. Normal?). Is this to do with the hair changing colour with age, or that a player likes to have different hair colours often and this accounts for that?

Also while there is no afro to choose, it does have the option of short, normal or long hair. Does that mean you can change an IRL player with long hair, to have long hair in game? Or is this more about having thicker head of hair, but it still isn't long, long, if you know what I mean?

The only thing I really wanted for years is to have natural newgen ball-playing defenders, sweeper keepers and attacking wingbacks. Seems like it won't happen this year though

Toning down on the "two-day injury exactly two days before the next game".

I found myself smirking every time I see the "Player X injured" info two days before my next match.

11 minutes ago, WojciechZed said:

That's really the only thing you ever wanted for years?

FM-wise yes :lol:

Everything else is less of a game-breaker for me.

Just to make one more point on the hair issue and then I will try not to mention it again, as I am aware people are beginning to think I have some type of obsession with it (I honestly don't, but so many well known players have afros now that it's weird to see them in FM with short hair). 

If you can go into editor and change a real player's height and skin colour, hence messing about with their real image, then surely, if SI really do have a fear of giving a real player with an afro an afro, due to some weird image rights, they could make it an option for us to do it ourselves in the editor?

9 minutes ago, WojciechZed said:

Just to make one more point on the hair issue and then I will try not to mention it again, as I am aware people are beginning to think I have some type of obsession with it (I honestly don't, but so many well known players have afros now that it's weird to see them in FM with short hair). 

If you can go into editor and change a real player's height and skin colour, hence messing about with their real image, then surely, if SI really do have a fear of giving a real player with an afro an afro, due to some weird image rights, they could make it an option for us to do it ourselves in the editor?

I have no idea if it's possible to do in the editor, so it may be worth asking in the editors section. Otherwise, you can raise it as a feature request. :thup:

It isn't. You can only choose from bald, short, medium or long hair.

I might take a look at the demo first and then raise it as a request if it still isn't in.

15 horas atrás, Rashidi disse:

Was disappointed with Stadia since my country isn’t on the list of nations that will have access, but the list of small features revealed have me quite eager to play.

Same here...

On 15/10/2019 at 10:36, Prej said:

Equipping footballers with the body part commonly known as a "chest", so they don't have to solely rely on their heads and feet in order to control the ball give away possession.

Perhaps this improvement will be in this year, as they have said that the physical bodies of players have been redesigned.

16 minutes ago, WojciechZed said:

Perhaps this improvement will be in this year, as they have said that the physical bodies of players have been redesigned.

Bigger heads and feet?

Id be happy for a bit of variation in the ME. It's tire someseeing the exact same goals over and over.

A bit of variation in the football in general would be good, doesn't seem to make a great difference what level of player you have or what level you are playing at, the football is all exactly the same to watch.

Players with high numbers for game intelligence, dribbling, vision, etc etc, who are able to cross a ball with just kicking it against the guy standing in front of him.

Defenders who header a ball to a colleague instead of anywhere on the pitch. 

AI teams who don't just put 11 players behind the ball in every game, played a league game against Celtic who did the same, YES Celtic  who have won the league around 8 times in a row.

Players that do as the tactics demand, if I ask for work the ball into the area I don't want to see 35 shots per game from around the outside of the box, some just missing or scoring but the vast majority just blasting off the defenders in front of them and when the ball rebounds back, I don't want to see them just take another long range shot for the sake of it.

If I play with a wingback or IF, it doesn't mean I want all play to be played down my wings, my central midfielders are good and expect them to contribute plenty too, fed up seeing 3-4 central tippy tappy passes, then a pass out left/right to then see a cross and then a goal, yeh! 5-0 up with another goal from a cross, how different.

Em 16/10/2019 em 19:18, Dagenham_Dave disse:

You say that, but in the season I just played, I had a winger on loan from Celtic (I was in SPFL2). I won the league, therefore was promoted and tried to get him back for the following season, but got the message 'would prefer to play with higher quality players'. As soon as the leagues were updated, I tried again, and both him and the club were willing to do the loan. And I've seen that happen a few times. 

Same exact thing happenned to me yesterday. And if the transfer window is open, we miss good oportunities. It sucks big time!

Shortcut keys being made available for more screens.

Some specific screens cannot be short-cutted to, and it would be extremely useful to be able to do so because after every game there are certain screens you want to regularly visit.

Or if you are in off-season and dealing with lots of scouting and transfers there are specific screens you want to be able to short-cut to.

Oh and please highlight all the attributes that a relevant to a member of staffs role, eg. head physio only has physiotherapy highlighted as a relevant attribute when it should also include man management.

And head of youth development doesn’t have all the attributes that are relevant to his role highlighted either.

4 horas atrás, 2feet disse:

Oh and please highlight all the attributes that a relevant to a member of staffs role, eg. head physio only has physiotherapy highlighted as a relevant attribute when it should also include man management.

But have you noticed differences between an head physio with good and bad man management?

I'm actually asking.

2 hours ago, 99 said:

But have you noticed differences between an head physio with good and bad man management?

I'm actually asking.

I’m asking too - there must be a difference surely? 

I do know that some non highlighted attributes that a head of youth development possesses are relevant to the role.

Literally anything. FM 20 is FM 19 with some stuff moved around and some stuff renamed as far as I can see from the "headline (lol) features". 

3 horas atrás, 2feet disse:

I’m asking too - there must be a difference surely? 

I do know that some non highlighted attributes that a head of youth development possesses are relevant to the role.

On the HOYD yes, there are.

But physios, sport scientists, data analysts... from what I see there is literally only one important attribute. I've seen no differences regarding man management, determination, motivation and so on...

Having just suffered YET ANOTHER crash dump on FM19, this is the number 1 thing I hope is fixed for the new game. 

The match Management Feedback sledge-hammering it out of people's heads that having x time more shots on a spreadsheet was akin "playing well". This should be common sense to even the more casual fan of Football -- after all, where does that leave counter attacking Teams? (Where does that leave the AI parking the bus, coded to give a **** about the amount of shots it concedes? Where does that leave the many brilliant download tactics flooding the Scene that encourage the Opposition to walk through a defense every however few times they win the ball back?) However, after the collateral damage done by MOTD and similar for decades, it is apparently not. :D :hammer:The Phrase "getting FM'd" is grossly misused in roughly 9 cases out of 10.

Edited by Svenc

Better match engine that actually goes some way into reflecting real football. 

More realistic and balanced managerial movements. After 20 years in Klopp, Guardiola, Zidane have all managed the 10 best teams in Europe. Also too often Guardiola will get sacked from Man City at some point and Klopp who is flying high at Liverpool will take over, would never happen in real life

After about 20 years also other stupid stuff starts happening such as England hiring a newgen manager with no experience

I'd rather they just sort this stuff out than the new features which aren't going to make much of a difference to the game

On 20/10/2019 at 16:56, Svenc said:

The match Management Feedback sledge-hammering it out of people's heads that having x time more shots on a spreadsheet was akin "playing well". This should be common sense to even the more casual fan of Football -- after all, where does that leave counter attacking Teams? (Where does that leave the AI parking the bus, coded to give a **** about the amount of shots it concedes? Where does that leave the many brilliant download tactics flooding the Scene that encourage the Opposition to walk through a defense every however few times they win the ball back?) However, after the collateral damage done by MOTD and similar for decades, it is apparently not. :D :hammer:The Phrase "getting FM'd" is grossly misused in roughly 9 cases out of 10.

There is a distinct difference between a team defending well and restricting good chances and then hitting on the counter to a team defending terribly and somehow unbelievably managing not to concede and then scoring with their one opportunity. I've genuinely not suffered with it much this time around but did a lot in previous versions. A lot of the time it most definitely wasn't the initial type of defending that had me undone. 

What about the chance to be an existing manager? Say take control of Klopp at Liverpool and try and replicate his style using his ingame characteristics. Know a lot of people like to replicate managers styles. Also always seems a little odd if you take over your favourite team that in real life just had a successful season only for them to dispose of the manager in favour of you, the manager with zero experience. 

4 hours ago, dolph11 said:

There is a distinct difference between a team defending well and restricting good chances and then hitting on the counter to a team defending terribly and somehow unbelievably managing not to concede and then scoring with their one opportunity. I've genuinely not suffered with it much this time around but did a lot in previous versions. A lot of the time it most definitely wasn't the initial type of defending that had me undone. 

True that. It's still Pretty apparent that some players have Always suffered more, some less. I can tell you why. Because despite some of the game's feedback, some Players were better able to recognize when they were struggling for quality space; whilst others wouldn't. I'd actually made the Argument before that Players should try to sit Deep with an underdog against which the AI attacks and pack it themselves. Just to get a feel for what's more oftenly converted, and what may be not that oftenly. Few from experience ever even try. I'd personally just like that Feedback to be dropped in general that suggests the volume of shots was an indication of what was actually "Happening".

Except one side possibly having more shots than the other by the end of a match of whichever kind for whichever reason. That reason can actually be one side truly "battering" The other. That reason can however be just a run of Play; a side taking an early lead, whilst the other is forced to chase a lead the remainder throughout. That reason can be Nothing but a tactical choice -- even shutting up shop to frustrate is one of such (which the AI really really likes). I think the key Point to communicate is that no Manager in Football sets out to have a load more shots, in itself. They try to manage spaces. Any real-world match data is a byproduct of their choices made.

Edited by Svenc

2 hours ago, threeps said:

What about the chance to be an existing manager? Say take control of Klopp at Liverpool and try and replicate his style using his ingame characteristics. Know a lot of people like to replicate managers styles. Also always seems a little odd if you take over your favourite team that in real life just had a successful season only for them to dispose of the manager in favour of you, the manager with zero experience. 

I'll never understand why people want this to be a thing. When you start a new game, YOU are the manager, regardless of what name you give yourself or what your history is. There is absolutely nothing to stop you trying to replicate a real life manager, but you'll never sign the same players, never use the same instructions, will vary in how you manage in-game etc etc etc. 

Also, what if Klopp got poached by Bayern in real life a week after you've started a Liverpool save as him? Bang! Realism gone already. 

I've always considered FM to be a real life replication of the existing football world until you hit continue on the first day. Then you're into a whole new parallel universe.