Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
dan_bre_1988

Not scoring enough goals

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

I'm my second season and doing very well in 3rd place in League 2. Punching well above my mid table prediction. However, I'm struggling creating too many big chances and so every game seems to be very close. Can anyone advise me on how I can create more without risking my defensive record too much? I think I need a stronger striker who can hold the ball up and be a presence in the box but can't find anyone suitable currently and have a limited budget. My current striker has good finishing and pace for the league but hold up stats (strength, determination, balance particularly) are poor. 

 

IMG_20191012_182432.jpg

IMG_20191012_182530.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Punching well above my mid table prediction. However, I'm struggling creating too many big chances and so every game seems to be very close. Can anyone advise me on how I can create more without risking my defensive record too much?

Have a think about this.  You are punching well above your weight and every game seems to be close.  Of course they're going to be close - you're punching well above your weight.  The only issue here is your own expectations.

Be satisfied with what you are achieving so far and keep a close eye on how you continue because the AI can be very good at adapting their tactics based on your performance, so expect them to start tightening up.  If they do and results start to go against you, then consider how you can adapt (if you need to).

Otherwise just be happy with how you are doing and bring in better players over time.  You're doing well, don't put so much pressure on yourself :thup:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, herne79 said:

Have a think about this.  You are punching well above your weight and every game seems to be close.  Of course they're going to be close - you're punching well above your weight.  The only issue here is your own expectations.

Be satisfied with what you are achieving so far and keep a close eye on how you continue because the AI can be very good at adapting their tactics based on your performance, so expect them to start tightening up.  If they do and results start to go against you, then consider how you can adapt (if you need to).

Otherwise just be happy with how you are doing and bring in better players over time.  You're doing well, don't put so much pressure on yourself :thup:.

I am very satisfied so far. My concern though is if teams start figuring out how to score against me, only scoring 1 a game most of the time will start costing me points so looking for ways to improve my attacking output. Not looking to change it currently but so I've got some tips incase I do need a change of tack. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree with @herne79 that if results are going well, leave the tactic as it is. However, a couple of tweaks I would suggest if you want to:

1. Get a runner from midfield who can offer a goal threat. A CM(a) or mezzala(a). At the moment, you have nobody from the midfield offering an attacking option. Obviously, if your team is considered weaker than others, you might want to be a little more cautious. But if you are after more goals, I think that will help; and

2. Remove the overlap instructions. Those instructions, as I understand it, reduce the mentality of the wingers and increase the mentality of the full backs. Both of your wingers are on support, so they probably arent getting into the box much, particularly given your striker is a number nine who wont hold the ball up often. When you add the overlap instruction, I imagine this makes it even less likely that your wingers will be offering a goal threat. Plus, with both wingers and full backs on support, they will naturally overlap sometimes anyway. I like having them both on support, as they can decide whether to overlap or whether the winger should get forward.

The way the tactic looks at the moment, there is only one player (striker) who stands a realistic chance of offering a threat to the opposition goal. If your striker is well marked, or having a bad game, there are few, if any, others attacking the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tweaks I'd go with would be:

IF to IF(A) then monitor the PF (A), they should be okay but you don't want them attacking the same space  

Change to AP(A) to a BBM(S) or CM(A), you've two playmakers in the middle of the park. Another option would be to change the DLP(D) to a DM(D) & have the AP on (A)

Change to FB to (A) or use it as an in game option then you could remove the overlaps as you'd have a natural overlap on the right & bring a bit of unpredictability to your team 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't make any major changes if you think your over-achieving.  Bringing in better players or players that better fit your system going forward should improve things.

One thing I would consider is why have both flanks look for overlap? Especially the W-Su + FB-Su flank?  Plus your using Work Ball Into Box so everyone but the W-Su will try and reduce the number of crosses they attempt (assuming there is another option that they can see etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though your tactic is working, I'd like to suggest a few minor tweaks:

- Tutte has the trait "plays short simple passes" and you already have a playmaker. You play on Balanced, short passes and work ball into box, but by the time you arrive at the final third their defense is all set. I'd change his role to defensive midfielder on defend - he will still provide cover in defence, but he will be a good recycling option, being able to find one of your fullbacks or midfielders quickly.

- You're an underdog, but you seem very possession focused. If you wanna play on the counter, change your AP to attack. 

- If you want to counter more effectively, remove work ball into box and change passing/tempo to standard. That will increase the urgency of your attack. However, watch closely and see if your forward players are not too isolated - on higher tempo settings, depending on mentality, support may take long to arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lferreira said:

Even though your tactic is working, I'd like to suggest a few minor tweaks:

- Tutte has the trait "plays short simple passes" and you already have a playmaker. You play on Balanced, short passes and work ball into box, but by the time you arrive at the final third their defense is all set. I'd change his role to defensive midfielder on defend - he will still provide cover in defence, but he will be a good recycling option, being able to find one of your fullbacks or midfielders quickly.

- If you want to counter more effectively, remove work ball into box and change passing/tempo to standard. That will increase the urgency of your attack. However, watch closely and see if your forward players are not too isolated - on higher tempo settings, depending on mentality, support may take long to arrive.

Thanks for all the feedback I am going to look to take off 'work ball into box' and 'look for overlap'

I'm not looking to counter. I had a counter tactic season before and start of this season (hense my strikers being fast but hold up play is poor) but my defense isn't good enough to absorb a lot of attacks so I figured attack is the best form of defense so decided to play more possession orientated style and I had pretty much instant success and currently on a club record 12 game unbeaten run but always looking to improve/spot potential issues in the future. 

As for Tutte, my usual anchor man was injured and he's the only one who can play in DM strata so put him in as a DLPd as he's my best passer so didn't want him on the periphery. 

Again, thanks everyone for the advice :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd set the IF/L to attack and the WB/L to attack, change the PF to an Advanced Forward, put both your Central Midfielders to Get Further Forward on their player instructions. doing these small changes will mean your have more players in and around the box during attacking phases and should get more goals. Also in formations with Inside forward, it's important that they have good stats in finsiing, long shots, technique, composure etc... this will mean you get more goals from him when he cuts inside and shoots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MagicHat said:

I'd set the IF/L to attack and the WB/L to attack, change the PF to an Advanced Forward, put both your Central Midfielders to Get Further Forward on their player instructions. doing these small changes will mean your have more players in and around the box during attacking phases and should get more goals. Also in formations with Inside forward, it's important that they have good stats in finsiing, long shots, technique, composure etc... this will mean you get more goals from him when he cuts inside and shoots.

Having both IF and WB on attack would cause me big problems defensively though wouldn't it? Which would then be compounded by having CMs that get further forward? I've only played one game with the above changes but beat Coventry (top of the league) 2-0. Didn't create a huge amount but the risk/reward balance seemed better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Having both IF and WB on attack would cause me big problems defensively though wouldn't it? Which would then be compounded by having CMs that get further forward? I've only played one game with the above changes but beat Coventry (top of the league) 2-0. Didn't create a huge amount but the risk/reward balance seemed better. 

You're right. Ultimately you gotta check the positioning of their forwards and see if they would receive the ball contested or free with space to run at your defenders. That side of the pitch could be exposed by an Advanced Forward, or a Winger and you would probably concede at the far post from a counter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dan_bre_1988 said:

Having both IF and WB on attack would cause me big problems defensively though wouldn't it? Which would then be compounded by having CMs that get further forward? I've only played one game with the above changes but beat Coventry (top of the league) 2-0. Didn't create a huge amount but the risk/reward balance seemed better. 

it's risk and reward though. the reason you might struggle to score so much is because you have so many players on support duties. i usally find with that formation that the DM helps a lot when the full backs go forward, also the cm's should still track back when you lose possession. do you use regroup or counter press?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MagicHat said:

it's risk and reward though. the reason you might struggle to score so much is because you have so many players on support duties. i usally find with that formation that the DM helps a lot when the full backs go forward, also the cm's should still track back when you lose possession. do you use regroup or counter press?

Yes I see what you mean. Thank you. I'm a bit adverse to having 2 attack duties on the same side but I've always been more cautious on FM. I don't actually use either instruction. I try to keep instructions to a minimum now other than the basics required for my playstyle as I've been stung having too many instructions on at once in the past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...