Sports Interactive Community
KUBI

Do not upgrade to OS catalina on a Mac if you want to play an older version of FM (prior to FM2017)

OS catalina does not support 32 bit software anymore. Only 64 bit software will run.

This means, that all versions of FM on a mac prior to FM 2017 will not run again.

There is no reason to upgrade at the moment, as OS moyave is still supported and runs fine.

Maybe there will be some kind of third party emulation software in the future that makes it possible to run 32 bit software with catalina installed.

2 hours ago, KUBI said:

Maybe there will be some kind of third party emulation software in the future that makes it possible to run 32 bit software with catalina installed.

Your best bet is probably something like CrossOver, or other VM tools most likely for 32-bit apps and some games. 

If you want to run any 32-bit software natively you'll need to stick to Mojave. 

Go64 will tell you what 32-bit apps you do have installed if you have them, so you can check before you make the jump what else you use might not work on Catalina.

Ok, I changed the title to FM 2017. 

So FM 2016 and older will not run on your mac, after upgrading to OS catalina.

does fm19 run ok on Catalina? reluctant to update if going to have issues like previous os update too Mojave.

quick look on forum and can't see any response from users who have reported issues after moderator advice

vor 11 Minuten schrieb gershero17:

does fm19 run ok on Catalina? reluctant to update if going to have issues like previous os update too Mojave.

quick look on forum and can't see any response from users who have reported issues after moderator advice

FM2019 is 64 bit and runs on Catalina.

On 10/10/2019 at 21:54, KUBI said:

OS catalina does not support 32 bit software anymore. Only 64 bit software will run.

This means, that all versions of FM on a mac prior to FM 2017 will not run again.

There is no reason to upgrade at the moment, as OS moyave is still supported and runs fine.

I'm probably being dumb here, but what does that mean if you run FM19 (or subsequent iterations)  via the Steam client, which is 32 bit?

Edited by scass

58 minutes ago, scass said:

I'm probably being dumb here, but what does that mean if you run FM19 (or subsequent iterations)  via the Steam client, which is 32 bit?

The Mac Steam client has been updated to 64-bit now.

23 hours ago, gershero17 said:

I have the Catalina beta and I'm playing FM on it right now. It runs perfect.

Edited by Rooneye

23 minutes ago, Rooneye said:

The Mac Steam client has been updated to 64-bit now.

Mine doesn't seem to have been? Can you tell me how to do this?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb scass:

Close and reboot steam.

On 12/10/2019 at 15:41, scass said:

Mine doesn't seem to have been? Can you tell me how to do this?

Go to Steam website and re-download the client. That's what I was told and it worked for me.

I'm on Catalina beta. Not sure if that matters or not.

Edited by Rooneye

4 hours ago, mdshep said:

Has anyone tried running FM on sidecar on iPad? 

Ooooh gunna try that! Never even thought of that! Get back to you soon. Watch this space!

EDIT: Wow works pretty much perfect. I've not really done too much sidecar tbh and you have to use the Apple Pencil. Not sure if you can change that, but fingers don't work. Again, I'm new to sidecar maybe you can change that option to allow fingers to be used as the mouse.

So, I was already playing FM fullscreen on a 5K iMac and I just turned on sidecar and it did not like that half the FM screen was missing lol. So I turned on windowed and it worked great then I went to turn on fullscreen and it now gives the proper iPad resolution, which on FM is 1288x946  to play full screen. So perfect in fullscreen or windowed. Oh BTW this is on the 12"? iPad Pro I forget the size the biggest one. So resolutions may vary with smaller ones. 

But performance wise it's perfect I'm watching the game on 3D and the frame rate is spot on.

Like I said never thought of playing FM on the iPad till you just mentioned it, but I think I will be doing more of it. In bed and you know where else. On the loo! Of course. Many poo's will be had to the sweet sight of the red & white flash as Boro score yet another goal on their way to world domination.

EDIT2: Going for a poo right now, I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT3: Wee won poo-nil

Edited by Rooneye

I didn’t realise you had to use the pencil for sidecar. That’s a shame as it would have been great to play FM on ipad this way but I’m not paying £100 for the pencil. 

On 10/10/2019 at 21:54, KUBI said:

On 11/10/2019 at 00:13, EdL said:

FM17 I think.

@Lucas @Neil Brock

F3DNNye.png

FM18 also says can't play :(

vor 2 Minuten schrieb craiigman:

@Lucas @Neil Brock

F3DNNye.png

FM18 also says can't play :(

That's wrong, just install the game, I think the message is because there are both versions available. It should install the 64 bit version on your mac.

4 minutes ago, KUBI said:

That's wrong, you need to update steam to the 64 bit version.

I've downloaded it and it does start, so seems steam doesn't recognise it supports 64 bit?

Gerade eben schrieb craiigman:

I've downloaded it and it does start, so seems steam doesn't recognise it supports 64 bit?

Yes, I think SI did already contact steam about this issue, as I reported it to Neil recently.

5 hours ago, KUBI said:

Yes, I think SI did already contact steam about this issue, as I reported it to Neil recently.

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks for this, we updated it for FM19 and have done so for FM18 now too. 

FM17 doesn't seem to work though, but this post suggests it would?

edit: rebooting steam seems to have fixed that. all good :)

Edited by craiigman