Set Piece Production

Does anyone have any useful hints/ tips for making the most of corners/ free-kicks - specifically for lower league teams?

I'm currently managing a team in English League Two - and previously managed a team in Scottish League Two - and have found it tough to get any production from set pieces for both teams. My players stats aren't terrible, with most players in the box 6'0 + with decent (for this level) jumping/ heading etc. My corner taker usually has around 10-12 for corners/ crossing.

My setup for corners is pretty general, as there isn't a ton of variation to work with - tallest players attacking near/ far post, striker marking keeper, tallest midfielders lurking near/far post, small winger either taking or lurking outside area, full backs stay back.  The problems I'm having are two-fold:

1. My players rarely win headers when directed into the box. This typically always results in the cleared ball landing straight to the opposition player lurking outside the area (never to my own player lurking outside the area, strangely) and a swift counter attack.

2. To mitigate this I've tried playing short corners, but mostly this ends up with the player receiving the ball waiting until they are closed down, get tackled or finally attempt to cross, smash the ball into their shins out for a throw in (or worse, a double ricochet off my own player for an opposition throw)

I've also tried assigning two players  to 'lurk outside the area', to recycle the cleared headers we lose, but they both stand next to each other, which is just ridiculous and not helpful, and still usually results in 1.) above.

I've seen opposition teams play the ball straight to the player lurking outside the area, but I don't see this instruction anywhere - I've tried all of them, and so far haven't been able to reproduce.

Also, is there really any correlation between training set pieces and actually scoring from them? I've had the odd fluke goal scored after various rebounds in the box and been told "our work on set pieces has paid off", but I'm not buying it. Truthfully I've probably scored <10 goals from free kicks/ corners (not including direct free kicks) in 4 seasons, but not sure what else I can try.

Have good, tall players with jumping reach/heading/decent off the ball set to attack near post/far post and lurk at near post/far post. One player attacking the ball from edge of the area, another lurking outside the area (someone with good concentration and anticipation, long shots is a good attribute too).

Keep three man behind. If you don't score a lot with this setup, at least you won't concede a lot as well.

I set up with attack near and far post. Attack from deep. Lurk outside. Challenge Keeper. Two players back. Just the standard way really.

Sometimes I use near post flick on. 

In terms of who goes where, if you click on each one it shows you the ideal stats you need for each position in the corner. Generally I have my CB's attacking the posts. Striker attacking from deep.

Delivery is important too. I use the correct foot for inswinging corners on both sides. So like right foot - left side. Left foot- right side. Actually prioritise this over corner taking ability. 

Then, if my corner taker on one side has like 11+ for corners I get him to deliver far post (if lower just 6 yard box.) On the opposite side 6 yard box.  They still mix it up themselves regardless of what I say.

I train attacking set-pieces for every game. This season I got 8 goals from corners and 8 from freekicks (I don't set up the freekicks at all.) But worth mentioning that I have no players with jumping higher than 10 other than my CB's. and my corner takers, right footer is like 11 for corners, left footer like 7. I wish I could see the chances created from corners, cos I feel like we're a real threat.

Edited by Guerin

Some good suggestions already so I'll only throw in something to think about - misdirection.

Often when teams offer a man for a short corner it's simply to draw defenders away from the goalmouth.  The same may apply to men on the edge of the area.  Consider also your central defenders.  They will probably be marked by the oppositions central defenders under the "mark tall player" instruction the opposition uses.  Again think where you want to position your opponents defensive threats.  Do you want to target your big guys and contest 50-50 with their best headers of a ball or do you make these players a decoy to leave someone else with a better chance?

I found that only having one guy on the edge of the box led to a fair few counter chances so I have 2 LOE & one attacking from deep with the 5 best headers in the box, one attacking near post, one far post & one lurking far post.

Free kicks, I send a couple more bodies forward from the default, I think the default keeps 4 or 5 players back

Throw I leave as default, I've tried setting my own routines but they never produced anythng

We score enough from set-pieces but I purposely buy tall players 

Some useful suggestions, thanks. I hadn't considered the inswinging corners idea - generally just select the best corner taker I have - so will give that a go. Really frustrated by the the inability to position two players outside the area - on opposite sides of the box, not right next to each other - as this would offer much greater flexibility I think. 

Still a little confused by the free-kick ability stats translating to production, however. my previous team I had a player with free kicks 11, long shots 9 and he was golden with direct free kicks - must have scored 15-20 goals and looked dangerous every time. My current free kick taker in my new team has free kicks 13, long shots 15, and hasn't even come close to scoring - either hits the wall or blazes over the bar every time. Strange.

Not a huge amount to contribute that hasn't been mentioned already. I'm in League 2 myself with Morecambe and have had some success with one player LOA and attack far/near post with centre backs and player (usually striker) to mark their keeper. I've scored a few with it. Corner wise just set to mixed as majority at that level lack accuracy anyway plus makes teams think as you're not consistently planting it in the same place every time.