New Director of Football Attribute

Jack_1878

I have noticed playing the game over the last few years there it’s not much differentiation between scouts and a director of football. They seem to only need 2 key attributes - judging player ability and potential, which is great in both of these jobs. 

on the other hand, I feel a director of football needs an attribute of ‘negotiation skills’. 

I will use Everton as an example. In 2016 they brought in Leicester head of recruitment and coach Steve Walsh, although he had an eye for talent his negotiation skills were useless and we ended up overpaying for many players - Sigurdsson and Klassen for example. Last year Everton brought in Marcel Brands and he has found some very good deals for the club including the likes of Gomes for £21m, Digne for £18m and Delph for £8 along with a few other good deals.

Therefore a good director of football needs good negotiation skills. If he does not he will end up overpaying for a lot of people, if he has an art of negotiation he will find you some good players on the cheap!

• 10 months later...