Sports Interactive Community
djpdavey

Play full strength or rotation for Cup game? Help??

In my save I am in League One. Sitting top of the table as a newly promoted side coming to the end of January. We have drawn Tottenham in the FA Cup 4th Round. We have won 10 out our last 11 games (League and Cup competitions).

Should I accept defeat and send out a fully rotated side so not to damage morale and our run or do we wait to see if a rotated side will face us and play a full strength to try and cause an upset?

Edited by djpdavey

If you lose, it wont be unexpected so shouldnt affect team morale too badly- if you perform well it will give a real boost, so go strong and try and get an upset.

3 hours ago, FrazT said:

If you lose, it wont be unexpected so shouldnt affect team morale too badly- if you perform well it will give a real boost, so go strong and try and get an upset.

i would second this. i would argue that morale would be affected more by not even trying to win

I'd consider Board Expectations. If the cup is irrelevant to them or if you already met their expectations on it, you may want to consider the need of going full force and focus instead on other still unmet expectations. I don't think it would hurt morale too bad if you lose.

9 hours ago, djpdavey said:

Should I accept defeat and send out a fully rotated side so not to damage morale and our run or do we wait to see if a rotated side will face us and play a full strength to try and cause an upset?

Go for it I say. How many chances will you get like this? If you temper their expectations and are not harsh after the match in the team talk moral should be fine. Your players will realise it is okay to lose a team so much better. So if they lose 1-0, for instance, you may want to praise their efforts. If you lose 5-0 just do not go ballistic at them.

I'd agree that board expectations are an important consideration.  And I'd add in one more factor:  schedule congestion.  If it's tight, I'd seriously consider keeping some of my best players on the bench and telling the starters to play a hard-tackling, pressing game.  If we're still in the match around sixty minutes, I might throw in the key players and try to win.  If we're getting schmushed, I'd let the scrubbies finish out the match.

Edited by AytchMan

I have met expectations In the cup already and my league expectations should be safe as a recently promoted but I'd rather go for promotion.