Shadow Striker issue

So, this is my tactic (not at home so I can't post a screenshot).

--------------DLF-Su-------------

IF-Su---------SS------------W-At

--------CM-De---CM-Su-------

WB-Su---CD--CD-------FB-Su

---------------SK-Su---------------

Positive mentality, shorter passing, work ball into box, Counter press, Counter, Higher D-Line/Standard or High LOE, Offside trap and that's it.

I've won my three games since using it with Everton (predicted to finish 7th), all 1-0 wins. Although they were against defensive sides and teams in the lower half, one was due to a bizarre own goal and the other was from a set piece. Anyway, my shadow striker is a wonderkid, but he's not performing and getting ratings of 6.4, 6.5.

I also notice the positioning is weird, it seems like him and the DLF on support basically try to occupy the same space. My DLF is Mitrovic, so when I envisioned the formation I expected him to act as a pivot (he has the plays with back to goal PPM) and feed the Shadow Striker, but they seem glued to each other. How do you get the best out of a Shadow Striker and what kind of player are you looking for in the role? My wonderkid has a lot of pace, finishing, passing, vision and flair are all 13 or more, dribbling is 13 as well.

22 minutes ago, lferreira said:

Positive mentality, shorter passing, work ball into box, Counter press, Counter, Higher D-Line/Standard or High LOE, Offside trap and that's it

The tactic itself looks okay to me. The issue(s) you are having might be down to player selection (relative to roles and duties). 

27 minutes ago, lferreira said:

My DLF is Mitrovic, so when I envisioned the formation I expected him to act as a pivot (he has the plays with back to goal PPM) and feed the Shadow Striker, but they seem glued to each other.

Mitrovic can play as a DLF on support (in terms of his attributes and traits), and a DLF / SS combo generally works well, so he should not be a problem. The setup of other roles and duties (behind and around these 2 guys) is decent and there is nothing wrong with it. What may help in providing the SS with better support is a more creative support-duty role in central midfield (ideally mezzala or RPM, alternatively BBM), but in a 4231 it may prove a bit too risky and would require some tweaking elsewhere (for example, changing the RB into IWB on defend duty). You might also consider playing the LB as a FB on attack, so that he would deliver more crosses after naturally overlapping the IF at the point when you will have more players in the final third to try and get on the end of these crosses (here Mitrovic's aerial ability can also be of great benefit). 

41 minutes ago, lferreira said:

my shadow striker is a wonderkid, but he's not performing and getting ratings of 6.4, 6.5.

He may be a wonderkid, but it still does not mean he has what it takes for that particular role (SS). 

42 minutes ago, lferreira said:

what kind of player are you looking for in the role? My wonderkid has a lot of pace, finishing, passing, vision and flair are all 13 or more, dribbling is 13 as well

The game actually tells you which attributes are important (both key and preferable) for the role, but anyway - in addition to the attributes you listed, a good SS needs off the ball, decisions, anticipation, first touch, composure, balance. And if he has some player traits, they can also affect his performance (one way or the other).

17 hours ago, lferreira said:

So, this is my tactic (not at home so I can't post a screenshot).

Just interested, what about the crosses from the winger? Do they connect? Does he have a target to aim for? Who do you expect to arrive to the end of the winger's crosses?

9 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Just interested, what about the crosses from the winger? Do they connect? Does he have a target to aim for? Who do you expect to arrive to the end of the winger's crosses?

My winger has the cut inside trait + gets into opposition area. He's a hybrid of a IF-At with a Winger. I play with work ball into box and standard tempo, so essentially when play goes through the right he can:

- cut inside and find the SS or find the IF-Su running into space

- cross into the area for the SS/DLF (which will already be there as I have a patient approach) 

- connect with the CM-Su (which I play as a Mezzala on support against weaker opposition) because of his cut inside PPM. 

He's there mostly to provide width and to be an extra man in the box when play comes from the left (which it often does in this setup as the idea is to overload the left to create 2 v 1s on the right where the the Mezzala and Winger mob their full back). 

When I notice he's bombing forward too much and not getting enough support I use lower tempo. What he does normally do is what I said before though. The role itself is scoring at a good clip. I say the role because even when I use Odegaard there he gets his goals too.