Sports Interactive Community
Weston

Advice for Starting Unemployed?

I've started unemployed with Nation A license and semi-pro experience. This is normally what I give myself when I start in Serie C or Serie D.

I've loaded leagues down to 3 for big nations, 2 for medium ones, and 1 for smaller ones. It's December and I've been rejected after the one interview I've gotten - a club in 17th in the French 3rd tier.

Is this normal? Did I not load small enough leagues and will never find a job? Or are there just not enough openings yet? How long does it usually take to land a gig? Should I be doing anything in particular?

I start normally with the same set-up. I have no problems to get offer from semi-pro teams ( English 6th and 5th league e. g.) but get no invitations from pro-teams, which makes sense from my view. So the Italian seria C would be a problem. Seria D I do not know because I use no mods.

5 hours ago, Zardoz said:

I start normally with the same set-up. I have no problems to get offer from semi-pro teams ( English 6th and 5th league e. g.) but get no invitations from pro-teams, which makes sense from my view. So the Italian seria C would be a problem. Seria D I do not know because I use no mods.

In December I ended up getting an offer from a semi-pro side in the relegation zone of Spain's 3rd tier.

You have low reputation, but clubs which fired managers first usually want to win league / promotion for next division.

So possibly your reputation is low for them, just need to wait for middle club of league.

Also there are some difference in version of FM. IMO best logic of hire/fire in FM19, in prev versions more strange decisions of boards

I can add one piece of advice:  for every country you're activating, load all leagues down to the bottom tier.  Don't limit yourself to the top three leagues in the major countries.  It's the very worst teams that are the best candidates to offer you that first job.

Edited by AytchMan

My idea is not to load all the big leagues, but focus on your imediate options in the beginning. Meaning, load as many low leagues as possible. 

Belgium, Sweden, England (Vanorama) and the other small EU nations you want. Later on, when you got a job, you can add the bigger leagues to your pool and remove the ones, that are on a lower setting. Obviously, you need to be warry of not getting sacked, but that's another thing. Like that you have many more options and better loading times. Sure, one could argue that you can't loan a good player, but what sane club would loan out Pellegri to a non-league club? 

For what it's worth, I've done a similar thing.. Spent the first season applying for everything and eventually got a job for a team at the bottom of the French national. They were 12 points adrift when I took over with 8 games to go, and I got sacked the day that relegation was confirmed.

Same again for Season 2, got offered a job at the bottom of the French league - but this time managed to stay up and I'm now slowly building a reputation and pushing for a playoff spot in Season 3. 

It's a patient game and I don't want to hang around too long in the lower French leagues, but that's what you sign up to when starting unemployed. I'm angling for a job in the MLS but I need to boost my reputation a fair bit more before I get there.

I rarely run into troubles when starting unemployed. For me it's the most fun, and most realistic way of playing. I always start without any badges or reputation, and load in a bunch of low-rep nations (with all the leagues loaded in). This time i ended up in Belarus, preventing relegation from the lowest division in the first year, and now I'm the second biggest club in Belarus, just behind BATE Borisov.

Have on mind as well that your nationality and your adaptability attribute have an effect on the offers you get from countries outside your home country.

If you want to make sure you get offers, set your past experience as automatic and it will be set to the minimum required to get a job at the lowest reputation league that you have loaded.

Edited by Icy