Trying to create more 'clear cut chances'

You do not really have an attacking player getting into the box, which is the first thing I would look to change. Either an attacking striker or an attacking AMC could help there. Give a few things a go there and see what happens. Do not change things too often though, give things a couple of games to see what happens over a representative sample size.

Hi thanks for the replies. I usually have the forward with an attack duty. I tried changing it, as he's getting marked out of the game. I do have another FC who I can play as a target man, however he is quite slow but brilliant in the air.  I did try a 4-4-2, but my team was getting put on the back foot too much. 

Edited by silentwars

5 hours ago, silentwars said:

FC St. Pauli_  Overview.png

5 hours ago, silentwars said:

Any help appreciated 

Remove:

- wide attacking width (leave it to default)

- tight marking 

- more urgent pressing (use the split press instead - tell the front 4 players to close down more in their player instructions)

Add:

- shorter passing

Use, but not necessarily all the time (watch and see what works better for your team):

- work ball into box 

In terms of roles and duties, I don't know your players so it's impossible to tell you how exactly you should set them up, but I can give you an example that you can use as an idea (food for thought):

PFat

IFsu          TQ/AMat           Wat

CMde  BBM/MEZsu

FBat   CD  CD/BPD    IWBsu/de

SKsu

But again - given that I don't know the qualities and abilities of your players, take this piece of advice as highly speculative. And of course, feel free to ask any questions :thup:

Depending on the players you have, I would try having the AM punch through the middle, and go ahead of the striker as an SS. Maybe try a TM on attack or support, and a Treq or SS behind him, so it makes it difficult for defenders to mark your players out of the match. 

Based on your TIs, I also think your play is bypassing your playmaker, who will be helpful in picking passes. Maybe trade the BBM for a RPM, and switch the DLP to a CM on defend. At least then, you will have your playmaker staying with the play, rather than needing to stay behind in a defensive position and find passes from deep. 

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Remove:

- wide attacking width (leave it to default)

- tight marking 

- more urgent pressing (use the split press instead - tell the front 4 players to close down more in their player instructions)

Add:

- shorter passing

Use, but not necessarily all the time (watch and see what works better for your team):

- work ball into box 

In terms of roles and duties, I don't know your players so it's impossible to tell you how exactly you should set them up, but I can give you an example that you can use as an idea (food for thought):

PFat

IFsu          TQ/AMat           Wat

CMde  BBM/MEZsu

FBat   CD  CD/BPD    IWBsu/de

SKsu

But again - given that I don't know the qualities and abilities of your players, take this piece of advice as highly speculative. And of course, feel free to ask any questions :thup:

I have changed the tactic a little since this post. This is my current set up, should I still change my attacking width, now I'm playing with two wingers? I will try removing tighter marking and urgent pressing and see how it improves. @Experienced Defender

FC St. Pauli_  Overview-2.png

Edited by silentwars

Tactic above looks a little biased towards crossing with wingers and fullbacks.  Also are you looking for you playmaker no.10 to feed the wingers and spray it wide or are the widemen simply a distraction and the play goes through the no.10 and not down the flanks?

I think have 2 maybe 3 attack duty roles and then just focus on who and how provides them the ball and the opportunity.  You could have a playmaker serving both an inside forward attack and advanced fwd whilst crosses provide an alternative approach from the other side.

23 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Tactic above looks a little biased towards crossing with wingers and fullbacks.  Also are you looking for you playmaker no.10 to feed the wingers and spray it wide or are the widemen simply a distraction and the play goes through the no.10 and not down the flanks?

I think have 2 maybe 3 attack duty roles and then just focus on who and how provides them the ball and the opportunity.  You could have a playmaker serving both an inside forward attack and advanced fwd whilst crosses provide an alternative approach from the other side.

You mean like this ?

FC St. Pauli_  Overview-5.png

6 hours ago, silentwars said:

FC St. Pauli_  Overview-2.png

Sorry, but I fear that with this tactic you will be even less likely to create good chances (including CCC) than you were with the previous one. For one, you are now encouraging too much crossing (you have 3 heavy-crossing roles on the flanks out of possible 4).

Plus, with BWM as your holding CM, you are also exposed to greater defensive risk, especially considering your formation (4231).

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, silentwars said:

Real Hispalis_  Overview.png

39 minutes ago, silentwars said:

Any ideas how I can create more CCC with this system

For more precise advice, I would need to know your players (attributes and traits). Without that, I can only give you some general suggestions based on my tactical approach, but cannot be sure if that would work for your team.

For example, I would consider the following tweaks (not necessarily all at once):

- changing the AP into TQ

- changing the AF into PF on attack or poacher

- adding the Be more expressive TI

- different combos on the flanks: IF on support with FB on attack, and Wat with either IWBde, IWBsu or FBsu (depending on the type of your fullback as a player)

Basically, I like to set up a 4231 like this:

PO/PFat

Wat                TQ                IFsu

BBM/MEZsu   CMde

IWBde/su    CD    CD     FBat

SKsu

But again, you always need to take into account your players' strengths and weaknesses (i.e. their overall quality) when creating a tactic. Especially in a 4231, which is a tricky system due to its top-heaviness coupled with the lack of a DM.

On 09/10/2019 at 18:54, Experienced Defender said:

For more precise advice, I would need to know your players (attributes and traits). Without that, I can only give you some general suggestions based on my tactical approach, but cannot be sure if that would work for your team.

For example, I would consider the following tweaks (not necessarily all at once):

- changing the AP into TQ

- changing the AF into PF on attack or poacher

- adding the Be more expressive TI

- different combos on the flanks: IF on support with FB on attack, and Wat with either IWBde, IWBsu or FBsu (depending on the type of your fullback as a player)

Basically, I like to set up a 4231 like this:

PO/PFat

Wat                TQ                IFsu

BBM/MEZsu   CMde

IWBde/su    CD    CD     FBat

SKsu

But again, you always need to take into account your players' strengths and weaknesses (i.e. their overall quality) when creating a tactic. Especially in a 4231, which is a tricky system due to its top-heaviness coupled with the lack of a DM.

Haven't been able to play FM for a week or so, going to tonight with your suggestions. I've got Deportivo, PSV, Malaga then A.Madrid away, will let you know how I get on.