Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

Just now, Double0Seven said:

But this goes for everything doesn't it? If the game is released at a lower price, it will also drop over time. So I don't consider this an argument against thinking it's too expensive. Every consumer product will drop in price over time. 

I generally agree with the statement to not buy something if you are disappointed. But there is no competitor for FM. Just like with some other markets like Windows PCs or Intel CPUs some time ago. Even if you didn't like it, there were no alternatives if you wanted something of it. I am forced on Windows to play FM natively, but as a programmer Windows isn't great. Yet here I still am as there's no alternative. 

This happens when there's no competition. 

There's never been a true competitor because no one can match what they do. Fifa with all its money never really got to grips, it's a null argument. Ultimately the responsibility for buying lies on the consumer. You have a choice. You have older versions with people who maintain database updates. So if the new version doesn't cut it, play the ones you have. It's not just FM, gamers do it all the time, complain and buy it anyway. Personally, got no sympathy for that logic 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

There's never been a true competitor because no one can match what they do. Fifa with all its money never really got to grips, it's a null argument. Ultimately the responsibility for buying lies on the consumer. You have a choice. You have older versions with people who maintain database updates. So if the new version doesn't cut it, play the ones you have. It's not just FM, gamers do it all the time, complain and buy it anyway. Personally, got no sympathy for that logic 

Yes I understand your argument, you don't need to repeat it. 

I'm just saying there's no alternative. If Bobby likes football and the management aspect, he can't go anywhere else. 

Same if Bobby doesn't like Windows. He will need it anyways to play FM. 

Same if this was 5 years ago and Bobby doesn't like Intel. He will have to buy it anyways to play FM.

So yes I completely agree consumers should be more aware and express more criticism. But if you want something like FM, there's no option to buy something else. Which leads to FM knowing they have a monopoly kinda and don't need to push out features as hard. Basic economy.

Pes and FIFA improved each other. Pes seemed complacent back in the day and got overtaken by FIFA. Now this year they seem to be back on the throne. At the end of the day, the consumers wins and now has an option to switch. 

Edited by Double0Seven
Pes FIFA forgot saying that

35 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Yes I understand your argument, you don't need to repeat it. 

I'm just saying there's no alternative. If Bobby likes football and the management aspect, he can't go anywhere else. 

Same if Bobby doesn't like Windows. He will need it anyways to play FM. 

Same if this was 5 years ago and Bobby doesn't like Intel. He will have to buy it anyways to play FM.

So yes I completely agree consumers should be more aware and express more criticism. But if you want something like FM, there's no option to buy something else. Which leads to FM knowing they have a monopoly kinda and don't need to push out features as hard. Basic economy.

Pes and FIFA improved each other. Pes seemed complacent back in the day and got overtaken by FIFA. Now this year they seem to be back on the throne. At the end of the day, the consumers wins and now has an option to switch. 

I don't think you are when you realise you can simply play the other versions of FM.  

SI have a list of features that's currently 5000 long (can't remember if it was Neil or Miles who mentioned it) SI are also simultaneously criticised on here for putting in too many and not enough features, which cannot work both ways.

You also make the assumption they aren't pushing as hard, because you don't like the features chose this year (and yet as Miles stated, lots of these are based on on player feedback)

Ultimately they will simply choose the path they think is best, which when you look at sales, is reflected as a good choice. 

At the end of a day, a competitor isn't suddenly going to spring from nowhere, so own the decision we make in the meantime 

8 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I don't think you are when you realise you can simply play the other versions of FM.  

SI have a list of features that's currently 5000 long (can't remember if it was Neil or Miles who mentioned it) SI are also simultaneously criticised on here for putting in too many and not enough features, which cannot work both ways.

You also make the assumption they aren't pushing as hard, because you don't like the features chose this year (and yet as Miles stated, lots of these are based on on player feedback)

Ultimately they will simply choose the path they think is best, which when you look at sales, is reflected as a good choice. 

At the end of a day, a competitor isn't suddenly going to spring from nowhere, so own the decision we make in the meantime 

Of course I realise you can play other versions. I mentioned this twice didn't I? Where from my comments do you find that I don't realise that? I don't understand. 

I will take that list of 5000 with a grain of salt considering its Miles and his comments aren't always the best to believe. He considers stuff like a rule change (which you expect) a feature. He doesn't mind being passive aggressive against customers or taking them not serious as well occasionally. I'll not believe it's 5000 unless it's these small "features" such as rule changes that you expect cus they follow the rules. Or more conversation options. I think many would agree with me. 

Also I'm not making this assumption. It's proven time after time in many industries that no competition means less innovation. This is basic economics with a lot of research behind it. This isn't my random opinion at all. I'm sure SI do a lot for FM, but you can't deny that this will creep in at some point. They are a company with investors after all. 

Of course they will choose the path that sells for them, but sales != good choice. FIFA will sell hard again most likely, but hardly anyone considers that game innovative these days don't they? 

I think FM is a great game overall, but yearly releases are just a bit too much.

Edited by Double0Seven
Forgot first sentence

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

People are aware they can wait till the price drops, or shops around for bargains? Every year there's a thread on wherever lowest price is, it's actually something encouraged by Neil. 

What I can't get my head around is not being happy with something, and then buying it anyway. That's entirely on the buyer. Everyone has different subjective standards, but if it doesn't meet yours, don't buy it. 

This is a post I agree with 100% It sums up my thinking exactly and is why i am still playing FM16

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

Have SI ever revealed substantial match engine footage from the newest FM (i.e. more than a few seconds' worth) so far from the full release date?

This is something we don't normally get until after the beta is out. Just saying.

Yes before FM18 there was usually plenty of match footage released with the words "work in progress" in the corner and usually introduced by Miles as a major feature.

15 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Of course I realise you can play other versions. I mentioned this twice didn't I? Where from my comments do you find that I don't realise that? I don't understand. 

I will take that list of 5000 with a grain of salt considering its Miles and his comments aren't always the best to believe. He considers stuff like a rule change (which you expect) a feature. He doesn't mind being passive aggressive against customers or taking them not serious as well occasionally. I'll not believe it's 5000 unless it's these small "features" such as rule changes that you expect cus they follow the rules. Or more conversation options. I think many would agree with me. 

Also I'm not making this assumption. It's proven time after time in many industries that no competition means less innovation. This is basic economics with a lot of research behind it. This isn't my random opinion at all. I'm sure SI do a lot for FM, but you can't deny that this will creep in at some point. They are a company with investors after all. 

Of course they will choose the path that sells for them, but sales != good choice. FIFA will sell hard again most likely, but hardly anyone considers that game innovative these days don't they? 

I think FM is a great game overall, but yearly releases are just a bit too much.

Many would disagree too. And that's pretty much the point. There's maybe 50-60 different users interacting here. Miles gets between 3000 and 7000 votes per daily feature, regardless of how small they seem. 

They also people, which I think gets  forgotten. When you say SI get complacent, you're saying the likes of Neil and Seb are too. You can't complain about Miles defending himself while feeling free to call devs here complacent. Also, nor the best idea to allude to Miles lying, thats poor form that will simply get you in trouble. 

And yearly sales are vital to them so that's not going to change 

3 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Yes before FM18 there was usually plenty of match footage released with the words "work in progress" in the corner and usually introduced by Miles as a major feature.

Its the same still now   It's usually just later on as the match engine nears release. 

11 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

I've been looking through the old ME videos on YouTube from the last five FMs, and they were released on:

FM15 - 22 October (new features video on 7 October showed some ME footage)

FM16 - 21 October (first of several short videos)

FM17 - 3 November (big reveal on 13 October showed some ME footage)

FM18 - 26 October (matchday experience video on 20 October showed some ME footage)

FM19 - 13 October (first look gameplay stream)

So there's no need to panic. SI will reveal more when they are ready.

16 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Many would disagree too. And that's pretty much the point. There's maybe 50-60 different users interacting here. Miles gets between 3000 and 7000 votes per daily feature, regardless of how small they seem. 

They also people, which I think gets  forgotten. When you say SI get complacent, you're saying the likes of Neil and Seb are too. You can't complain about Miles defending himself while feeling free to call devs here complacent. Also, nor the best idea to allude to Miles lying, thats poor form that will simply get you in trouble. 

And yearly sales are vital to them so that's not going to change 

I understand that, but about Miles I think there's a difference between defending yourself and sometimes the aggressive tweets he throws out. Any PR manager will tell you that he should stay off twitter like this. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/milessi/status/921806694535106561

Let me be clear, I think people are attacking him sometimes for no reason, but he needs to realise that these are trolls that deserve no attention. Attacking them/mentioning them is exactly what they want. For a grown adult you would expect better. There's a reason why he is considered so controversial. 

Also about the features, I'm not saying he's lying, hence the " " around features. They simply aren't features for many people if you look at what Miles considers features. So 5000 seems like a stretch. 

About calling SI complacent, perhaps it's not that, but I'm saying they are just less likely to innovate cus it's not needed. 

Edited by Double0Seven

20 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

I understand that, but about Miles I think there's a difference between defending yourself and sometimes the aggressive tweets he throws out. Any PR manager will tell you that he should stay off twitter like this. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/milessi/status/921806694535106561

Let me be clear, I think people are attacking him sometimes for no reason, but he needs to realise that these are trolls that deserve no attention. Attacking them/mentioning them is exactly what they want. For a grown adult you would expect better. There's a reason why he is considered so controversial. 

Also about the features, I'm not saying he's lying, hence the " " around features. They simply aren't features for many people if you look at what Miles considers features. So 5000 seems like a stretch. 

About calling SI complacent, perhaps it's not that, but I'm saying they are just less likely to innovate cus it's not needed. 

I totally agree with the last statement, this is something I have said a number of times on these forums, often shot down by the mods and I personally believe that the 3D match engine would not have been introduced so early if not for the competition from Champ manager 10 (albeit a shambles of a game on release)

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

I've been looking through the old ME videos on YouTube from the last five FMs, and they were released on:

FM15 - 22 October (new features video on 7 October showed some ME footage)

FM16 - 21 October (first of several short videos)

FM17 - 3 November (big reveal on 13 October showed some ME footage)

FM18 - 26 October (matchday experience video on 20 October showed some ME footage)

FM19 - 13 October (first look gameplay stream)

So there's no need to panic. SI will reveal more when they are ready.

FM10 released 31 October match footage shown 11 September

FM11 released 5th November match footage shown 10 August

16 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Re. this talk about complacency / innovation through a lack of competition.

On the one hand it's right.  People in competition can drive each to out do the other.  Constant innovation in order to maintain (or extend) market share.  Stagnate and you're dead in the water.

But on the other it's wrong.  If you have no competition you can define the terms of that competition - "this is what we've got, come at me bro".  Through years and years of being the recognised market leader, with a track record of constant development, means it becomes incredibly difficult for any new entrants to enter that market.  But if you rest on your laurels without further innovation, somebody new can very quickly come in and hijack your space and you lose loyal customers.

So on the one hand SI have already seen off the competition by their innovation and competitor's stagnation, and on the other they now continue that innovation which makes it harder and harder for anyone new to enter.

Therefore imo there is no complacency - just a market leader without any real competition who continues to evolve their product to stay ahead of the game. 

But of course whether we, as consumers, like how the product is evolving or how "features" are being announced is a different kettle of fish.  Feedback provided by us and the amount of sales made will answer that question.

Having always said that competition drives innovation, I absolutely agree with you that SI are so far ahead it would be very difficult almost impossible for new entrants to come in now.  The only way it may be possible I guess is for a developer to throw a shed load of money at it and try and tempt senior coders etc away from SI but I am sure SI would have some protection to stop that happening.  I am surprised that EA didn't try something like that years ago when it became clear that their FIFA Manager we going nowhere, but I guess there was not a large enough profit margin in football management games.

3 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

It's now 3 weeks before the release of the game, yet we have had no mention of the crucial issues that dog these threads.

No mention of Match Engine or AI concerning transfers. It's an issue SI. We've had some snippets of screen shots and some random mention of a few added extras that, let's face it, are rule changes rather than features.

The headline stuff is hardly ground breaking. I've preordered. Because I'm an fm junky. But to snare the casual or newbie, the hype and media has been rubbish. 

We have Miles chucking us a picked clean bone of info and making us work for it on Twitter.

It's really no suprise that there is so much negativity on these threads pregame release, because of the lack of information.

I think if we are expected to fork out the best part of thirty quid, we deserve more than better coloured faces on our management profile as a new feature.

I think you elude to a very valid point. I remember when Miles would be producing daily detailed enthusiastic updates to promote the latest FM. I am guessing analysis has shown that irrespective of good promotion or not, sales have remained high. Now, if you are purely interested in the balance sheet, why would you bother to promote well? If you are interested in keeping your customer base happy, that's another thing. Some people are successful in managing both; some people lose perspective 

4 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

It's now 3 weeks before the release of the game, yet we have had no mention of the crucial issues that dog these threads.

No mention of Match Engine or AI concerning transfers. It's an issue SI. We've had some snippets of screen shots and some random mention of a few added extras that, let's face it, are rule changes rather than features.

The headline stuff is hardly ground breaking. I've preordered. Because I'm an fm junky. But to snare the casual or newbie, the hype and media has been rubbish. 

We have Miles chucking us a picked clean bone of info and making us work for it on Twitter.

It's really no suprise that there is so much negativity on these threads pregame release, because of the lack of information.

I think if we are expected to fork out the best part of thirty quid, we deserve more than better coloured faces on our management profile as a new feature.

4 weeks and 3 days till November 4th ?

On 23/09/2019 at 19:42, themadsheep2001 said:

@scass I remember you creating a thread about fining players etc. The code of conduct feature might be right up your street

Haha, yes, that might well address the problem.

1 minute ago, PhilT said:

Gotta be honest, i'm astounded by all the positive comments regards regens. Firstly, I don't think they're that great. Secondly, I can't think of something i'd be less interested in than regens. 

I agree in the sense that once again the regen faces are disappointing, like androids with bad hair...... However, they are important for me as their lack of realism is just another obstacle to long term saves. 

2 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

I've said it for years, but the marketing and drip-feed of information SI do for FM is just wildly out of the norm for videogames. It's kind of refreshing how unpolished it is, but that's undermined by the attitude and presentation to consumers feeling adversarial, especially when Miles is involved.

A Twitter poll to slop out random lines from patch notes is ... wow.

I couldn't agree more. Just tell us whats new in the game Miles instead of this Twitter poll nonsense. Jeez 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Viking:

Well, the announcements do feel a bit lackluster so far. Not that I care, I've already pre-purchased the game. But previous years it was rock music and content creators and videos with an enthusiastic Miles. Now it's a 10 second video, some pictures, and the patch note roulette.

You should be aware that the announcements about the headline features took place two weeks earlier this year. Accordingly, everything else will be a bit different in time. It's more of a marathon than a sprint. I'm sure we'll see longer videos in the near future - whenever that exactly will be.. On the one hand, I definitely see potential for improvement in the presentation of the new features. On the other hand, however, there is also enormous impatience. There is always complaining anyway, no matter what is done.

Edited by leviathan1904

On 04/10/2019 at 17:58, themadsheep2001 said:

Agree. People should just not buy the game if the reviews are poor, like for this version so far.

Only such a 'boycott' will stir SI from its complacency. 

I actually think that those who pre-order the game without looking at it more closely is doing SI more harm than good. 

Well the good is that SI gets good money, but it makes them think that all is fine, judging from some of the comments from the mods here. 

Edited by theballstopshere

How on Earth can ANYONE say the reviews for FM20 have been poor when the FM20 beta has not even been released yet?! :lol:

Also, calling SI "complacent" is one thing. Demanding a "boycott" of FM on the official forums is quite another.

On 04/10/2019 at 18:56, Double0Seven said:

I am with you. I have mentioned this before too. Yearly releases seem to be stagnating big parts of the game while improving the minor stuff like manager profile picture, lol.

I think it's come to a point that SI should take a break for one release if the important stuff that is plaguing the game is still not fixed (player, GK AI, player movements, player collision system, realistic game play, modern tactics, adherence to tactics...).

I truly believe that if they were to fully focus on the above and have it released through some great videos, the game will be much better off, and sales too. Just imagine the publicity. This along with some smaller improvements will be enough to meet more than half the expectations on here, at least. 

But I remember I got shot by the mods about profitability of SI if that is to happen. 

Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, CFuller said:

How on Earth can ANYONE say the reviews for FM20 have been poor when the FM20 beta has not even been released yet?! :lol:

Also, calling SI "complacent" is one thing. Demanding a "boycott" of FM on the official forums is quite another.

'Demanding a boycott': pray tell where you get that from? 

"DEMAND"

Too far a stretch of your imagination or comprehension failure?

LOL

1 minute ago, theballstopshere said:

'Demanding a boycott': pray tell where you get that from? 

"DEMAND"

Too far a stretch of your imagination or comprehension failure?

LOL

This.

23 minutes ago, theballstopshere said:

Agree. People should just not buy the game if the reviews are poor, like for this version so far.

Only such a 'boycott' will stir SI from its complacency. 

I actually think that those who pre-order the game without looking at it more closely is doing SI more harm than good. 

Well the good is that SI gets good money, but it makes them think that all is fine, judging from some of the comments from the mods here. 

Lol.

28 minutes ago, CFuller said:

This.

Lol.

Look up the dictionary for the meaning of demand.

Gosh. 

And, if you bother to read again, and not through your rose tinted glasses, I was merely coming off a statement by one of the mods that said that people who complained about the game should not purchase it.

What I said is a logical extension of that. I actually agree.

So in actuality, it is the mod who is indirectly asking for a boycott, by telling people who complained about it to not buy it.  

Get it???

Edited by theballstopshere

Do we want the Mods to get involved or are we able to stop the childish bickering by ourselves?

Also about time this "complacency" myth was put to bed once and for all.  All that does is insult the hard working people at SI and there are rules about insulting SI staff.  Provide feedback if you like, say what you feel is wrong with the game and where it could be improved, but stop short of insults because - guess what - Mods will get involved if that happens.

Just stop this silly culture of digs and replies followed by counter replies ad infinitum.  Is treating each other (and SI) with respect really too much to ask?

So stay on topic, treat each other with a little respect and there won't be any need for the Mods to take further action - we really don't want to start handing out infractions.

38 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Do we want the Mods to get involved or are we able to stop the childish bickering by ourselves?

Also about time this "complacency" myth was put to bed once and for all.  All that does is insult the hard working people at SI and there are rules about insulting SI staff.  Provide feedback if you like, say what you feel is wrong with the game and where it could be improved, but stop short of insults because - guess what - Mods will get involved if that happens.

Just stop this silly culture of digs and replies followed by counter replies ad infinitum.  Is treating each other (and SI) with respect really too much to ask?

So stay on topic, treat each other with a little respect and there won't be any need for the Mods to take further action - we really don't want to start handing out infractions.

I cannot stress this enough. Most users are very good, there's just a few spoiling it for the rest at the minute. Let's just settle down.