Making a high press 3 ATB work?

So recently as Hibernian I've been blessed with some very good CB regens and I've decided I want to utilize this by playing 3 at the back,I won the league a season or  two back playing basic gegenpress football but other teams seemed to have figured that out a bit, so I thought a change would be needed. But being a bit of a tactical noob, it hasn't been going amazing.

I've struggled a bit so far with my formation, I can't quite control games I should be controlling and have been scraping by wins or just being completely shut out of the game all together by some teams.

I believe the issue is in the middle of the ground, I'm not sure how to set up my midfield in a way that works.

I want to be using James Rodriguez (who's body is shot but is still as skillful as ever) as my main playmaker but I feel he is not doing much from deep, I was thinking of moving him forward to a more attacking midfield type of role but I'm not sure if that will leave me defence too open. I also don't know if the midfield pairing is very strong roles wise, I have good depth and players capable of doing any role but I can't find the combo that works.

The main aim to is to slowly build play and use the high press to pressure teams and keep the ball, while feeding the killer pass to my Advanced Forward, Mezzala or charing Wingback (attack). I've gone with shorter passing and working the ball into the box. Low crosses because my strikers are not very strong and running at defence because I have some good dribblers, I am unsure if that one is needed though.

image.thumb.png.e4568787f4dacc0e0fb668086fd15863.png

I guess to sum it  up my main issue is I can't seem to break down teams weaker than me and can't set up the high press against teams stronger than me, what can I do to change this around?

3 hours ago, SweetDee69 said:

image.thumb.png.e4568787f4dacc0e0fb668086fd15863.png

3 hours ago, SweetDee69 said:

The main aim to is to slowly build play and use the high press to pressure teams and keep the ball

First off, your system is not suitable for either possession-based football or a high-pressing style, simply because it's bottom-heavy and hence essentially defensive. Therefore you need to reconsider your formation in the first place. A 4141dm wide (a.k.a. 4123) would be a good choice for what you want to achieve. Or - if you want to play with 3/5 at the back - 523 (with wide forwards and the lone striker up front) or 5212.

Btw, a role such as WB on attack duty does not really go hand in hand with possession styles. The same is true for the Run at defence TI.

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

First off, your system is not suitable for either possession-based football or a high-pressing style, simply because it's bottom-heavy and hence essentially defensive. Therefore you need to reconsider your formation in the first place. A 4141dm wide (a.k.a. 4123) would be a good choice for what you want to achieve. Or - if you want to play with 3/5 at the back - 523 (with wide forwards and the lone striker up front) or 5212.

Btw, a role such as WB on attack duty does not really go hand in hand with possession styles. The same is true for the Run at defence TI.

Right! Again I've just been trying something new and that makes sense why I was struggling.

So if I move my DLP a bit further upfield and go with a 5212 I feel I'll see a change? Also noted with the run at defence TI, it does seem unneccesary.

Also with the WB (A) I was seeing success with that but I assume because I had a weird pseudo counter set up.

8 minutes ago, SweetDee69 said:

So if I move my DLP a bit further upfield and go with a 5212 I feel I'll see a change?

It's not only about one role and/or changing the formation, but you need to set up all roles, duties and instructions according to how you want to play. Although having a DLP in the central midfield in a 5212 would absolutely make sense for what you want (provided everything else is also in its place).