Sports Interactive Community
ThunderCelt

Pressing, Tight Marking, Hard Tackling

I'm  having great fun putting together a tactic (a simple 4-4-2 which seems to be working fine for the lower leagues).  I get most of setting up a tactic thanks to reading this forum - roles, tempo, passing length, DL, LOE etc - but I'm struggling with pressing, tight marking, and harder tackling, and when to use them.  

I sort of use pressing when I'm playing more defensive, and harder aggressive tackling when I'm the better team.  Broadly and generically, is that right?  And when is tighter marking the thing to do?  I don't want to post my tactic for detailed advice because I want to do it as much on my own as possible, but I'm really struggling with these three things.

1 hour ago, ThunderCelt said:

I sort of use pressing when I'm playing more defensive, and harder aggressive tackling when I'm the better team.  Broadly and generically, is that right?

There is absolutely no fixed rule, because too many factors (including the quality of your players) must be taken into account, but some basic principles that I myself tend to follow include:

- don't use tight marking (team instruction) when playing against a team whose players are considerably faster than yours

- don't use tight marking (TI) when playing with a higher/much higher D-line

- don't use tight marking (TI) when your vertical compactness is reduced (i.e. a greater distance between DL and LOE)

All these pertain to hard tackling as well.

Pressing is a bit more tricky though.

And always bear in mind that the mentality affects all these settings by default. So generally speaking - a more aggressive manner of defending is comparatively less risky under lower mentalities than higher ones.