[FM20] Teams To Manage

BadAss88

AZ Alkmaar is a fantastic save. An exciting young squad with some real quality to allow you to challenge for the Eredivisie over the longer term. Wijndal, Koopmeiners, Goudmijn, Stengs, Taabouni, Idrissi and Boadu are all great talents, under 21 to build around. Plus they have great youth facilities to use as the focus of a long term save.

Edited by Flash Gordon

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Flash Gordon said:

AZ Alkmaar is a fantastic save. An exciting young squad with some real quality to allow you to challenge for the Eredivisie over the longer term. Wijndal, Koopmeiners, Goudmijn, Stengs, Taabouni, Idrissi and Boadu are all great talents, under 21 to build around. Plus they have great youth facilities to use as the focus of a long term save.

Definitely. They're my go-to Dutch side. You can do well with a Dutch only side quite easily (unless Ajax develop a crazy bunch of wonderkids and retain them). I don't Goudmijn and Taabouni from Fm19 so maybe they're fresh off the production line!

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

Definitely. They're my go-to Dutch side. You can do well with a Dutch only side quite easily (unless Ajax develop a crazy bunch of wonderkids and retain them). I don't Goudmijn and Taabouni from Fm19 so maybe they're fresh off the production line!

They both start in the under 19's team, but Goudmijn can be a fringe player from the start and Taabouni was playing in Eredivisie on loan in his second season until I lost Idrissi and brought him back to start. I'm at the beginning of my 4th season and this is what they look like:

Goudmijn.thumb.PNG.869f3bbac250a30abd76b855ff6b27a5.PNGTaabouni.thumb.PNG.b6cfc20b04e33bd1a572c2a54f93559e.PNG

I normally get used to new versions of the game by doing a pre-season and a few months with my team West Ham. Normally by then a league data pack for the German lower leagues is available so I then dive in with FC St. Pauli.

This year I fancied something a bit different so have used FCSP to get used to the game, but this time I've decided to start unemployed in England and picked up the Braintree job in National League South. Got off to a good start in my save and had a striker called Femi Akinwande tearing it up. I then took a look at the squad and noticed that a number of players including Akinwande had recently left the club, so I decided to use the editor to put those players at their current club and bring in those who had joined since FM20s release.

I've started unemployed again and once again picked up the Braintree job. The squad is a bit thin in midfield and no star striker up front anymore, just young, bang average National South strikers and lot of non-contract players. Currently still in pre season, but looking to get my teeth into this save when time allows.

I would like to start a save, managing a new team and play according to a Bielsa ball 3-3-1-3 tactic. Like in this guide: https://dictatethegame.com/2019/11/08/young-devils-recreating-bielsas-3-3-1-3-tactic-in-fm20/

tactics.png?zoom=1.25&fit=662,432&ssl=1

I don't want to manage Leeds utd, but rather a team with players well suited for the special roles in the above mentioned tactic. Like inverted wing backs, anchormen, segundo volantes and enganche. So, not your ordinary 4-4-2 kind of players. 

Hit me! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 19:38, lblanc said:

Spain: 

Barcelona- a front 3 of Griezmann, Suarez and Messi shall I say more

Naah, Griezmann is crap in AML (He keeps having trouble with his legs as his primary choice is the wrong leg for AML), Go with a 4-2-4 Wide with Suarez and Griezmann as strikers Fati as AML and buy Mo Salah as AMR.

Messi should be played as a RPM/S MC, he will PURELY from key passes get 9.0 score EVERY SINGLE MATCH add in some assist and goals and you will be breaking records with him. He will be carrying the entire team and winning every match for you, no matter how bad the rest is playing.

Sergio might actually be the perfect partner for Messi in MC, he has some amazing mentals for delivering the same kind of performance that Messi does in MC.

Dembele's mentals makes him a league 2 player at best, but for a season until someone buys him and give you the money to buy someone like Mo Salah, he will be fine in AMR.

I’m struggling to stick with a save after starting a few with clubs in Spain and Italy. 

I'm thinking now of starting a save in Germany after the winter transfer window as I haven’t managed there before, but I’m unsure of which club.

I'm looking for a Bundesliga club, with a good amount of local players, good youth development, and a good reputation. Ideally a club in a position to get into Europe and maybe within a few years challenge Bayern. At the minute I’m thinking of Leipzig, Leverkusen or Borussia Dortmund. Has anyone had any good saves with these clubs? Ideally I would like a strong core of Local players from within the club or which can be bought. 

Can anyone also recommend any good young German players to look out for? 

12 hours ago, Paulz said:

I’m struggling to stick with a save after starting a few with clubs in Spain and Italy. 

I'm thinking now of starting a save in Germany after the winter transfer window as I haven’t managed there before, but I’m unsure of which club.

I'm looking for a Bundesliga club, with a good amount of local players, good youth development, and a good reputation. Ideally a club in a position to get into Europe and maybe within a few years challenge Bayern. At the minute I’m thinking of Leipzig, Leverkusen or Borussia Dortmund. Has anyone had any good saves with these clubs? Ideally I would like a strong core of Local players from within the club or which can be bought. 

What about Gladbach?

20 hours ago, Paulz said:

I would pick Leverkusen out of those 3.

On 08/01/2020 at 10:14, n1mez said:

What about Gladbach?

I hadn’t considered them but they look to have some good players and a big stadium - I will check them out in more detail. 

On 08/01/2020 at 19:06, Gee_Simpson said:

I would pick Leverkusen out of those 3.

Cool, they are the one I’m leaning towards and the Leverkusen thread on the forums has sparked my interest even more. Could you expand at all on why you would choose them over say Dortmund?

Having read a bit more about Leipzig and why they are disliked in Germany I have also gone off them a bit, although some fantastic young players. 

2 hours ago, Paulz said:

Cool, they are the one I’m leaning towards and the Leverkusen thread on the forums has sparked my interest even more. Could you expand at all on why you would choose them over say Dortmund?

They have never won the Bundesliga! Crazy, as they have had some good teams over the years. They have lost the title on the last day twice, losing a potential treble on one occasion, so it would be good to bring them some success. I don't like Leipzig for obvious reasons, and Dortmund are okay but I prefer Leverkusen. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

8 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Been considering starting with a team in the 3rd tier of one of the big leagues (Spain, England, Italy, Germany or France). 

Any suggestiona for fun clubs there, maybe with some story attached also?

My recommendation would be 1860 Munich, without a doubt. Good youth facilities and a lot of history behind the club. Would be great to topple Bayern with them! 

Been struggling to get a proper save going due to laptop issues and a general lack of continued interest in any saves I've started but I think its time to properly get into one for me with said problems resolved. Only issue is I have no idea who to go for.

I'm thinking of preferably a second division side in one Europes top 5 leagues (England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy) that could potentially challenge for promotion in season one, ideally with stable finances and one or two promising youngsters would be nice but these last two points aren't that critical.

Alternatively I could try a completely new league/nation outside of "the big 5". Although not much outside, possibly Holland, Portugal or Belgium spring to mind. In this instance I'd probably be after a top half side in the top flight, with youth prospects more important than if I went with a second tier "big 5". Clubs from any other leagues that fit into this category are also welcome suggestions, I just said the three that immediately sprung to mind.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Cheers

3 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Been struggling to get a proper save going due to laptop issues and a general lack of continued interest in any saves I've started but I think its time to properly get into one for me with said problems resolved. Only issue is I have no idea who to go for.

I'm thinking of preferably a second division side in one Europes top 5 leagues (England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy) that could potentially challenge for promotion in season one, ideally with stable finances and one or two promising youngsters would be nice but these last two points aren't that critical.

Alternatively I could try a completely new league/nation outside of "the big 5". Although not much outside, possibly Holland, Portugal or Belgium spring to mind. In this instance I'd probably be after a top half side in the top flight, with youth prospects more important than if I went with a second tier "big 5". Clubs from any other leagues that fit into this category are also welcome suggestions, I just said the three that immediately sprung to mind.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Cheers

I've been looking around a variety of different nations and found the likes of Club Brugge, Genk, Gent, Standard Liege interesting. There are a variety of Austrian clubs from the obvious and Austria Wien to WSG Tirol or even Wacker Innsbruck in the second tier. A little lower throws up names like Panathinaikos, Ejsberg, Hammarby IF (but not because of Zlatan investment) and I've even considered HJK in Finland after checking some out of date foreign player loopholes there that appeal to me on a personal level. In Holland, AZ or SC Heerenveen have young but interesting squads and even Rangers can be made in to something much better with Morelos in the team. There are a whole bunch of good teams in the second Spanish league you could take on, plenty in England too. Just a few thoughts...

On 13/01/2020 at 01:03, Jogo Bonito said:

I've been looking around a variety of different nations and found the likes of Club Brugge, Genk, Gent, Standard Liege interesting. There are a variety of Austrian clubs from the obvious and Austria Wien to WSG Tirol or even Wacker Innsbruck in the second tier. A little lower throws up names like Panathinaikos, Ejsberg, Hammarby IF (but not because of Zlatan investment) and I've even considered HJK in Finland after checking some out of date foreign player loopholes there that appeal to me on a personal level. In Holland, AZ or SC Heerenveen have young but interesting squads and even Rangers can be made in to something much better with Morelos in the team. There are a whole bunch of good teams in the second Spanish league you could take on, plenty in England too. Just a few thoughts...

Really enjoying my save with AZ. You have plently of great youngsters, good finances and some fair challenges in trying to break the triopoly of the Eredivisie. I traditionally find it very difficult to stick to a save, I'm 4 and a half seasons in with AZ and having tons of fun though!

On 12/01/2020 at 20:03, Jogo Bonito said:

Rangers can be made in to something much better with Morelos in the team.  

Morelos is a monster !! we adore him at Rangers ! he is so good.

I actively search for the next morelos like player. Playing for a lower league that can develop. He has been 100% amazing for us.. 

been wanting to do a HJK save just to find a young colombian and replicate this. 

20 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Have you ever been able to sign any youngsters from PSV or Ajax or is it always impossible?

I got Ryan Gravenberch from Ajax for 2m! He has huge potential and has the 'wonderkid' description for me. They had transfer listed him, I think he was running his contract down. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey FMers,

Really struggling to find a save to get into this FM. 

Usually I wait a few months until the silly season of manager sackings and then replicate that in game and start unemployed and apply for some and take what I get but that hasn’t really got me going this season. 

Have tried Fiorentina, Monaco, Stuttgart, Arsenal, AC Milan, Fenerbache and Valencia but none have got me. 

Looking for some help to decide what to do. I enjoy teams with a good young core, who have some money to spend and aren’t necessarily top of their leagues, think fallen giants or under performing teams who I can rebuild. 

My philosophy is a usual 433 with either control possession but open to trying other tactics. 

Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

That sounds like Arsenal to me, really! If the issue is money to spend in the opening transfer window...do well until January or in season 1 with what you have, and you will have quite the purse. Maybe it's not the easiest to do well, but it's also not hard. And a lot of young players with high potential, especially in attack. 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 seem suitable. I'm probably just biased.

I suppose Bayern had a sacking this season and are "rebuilding" their team, but maybe they are too good for consideration.

Edited by lamp

10 hours ago, someoneelse said:

Hey FMers,

Really struggling to find a save to get into this FM. 

Usually I wait a few months until the silly season of manager sackings and then replicate that in game and start unemployed and apply for some and take what I get but that hasn’t really got me going this season. 

Have tried Fiorentina, Monaco, Stuttgart, Arsenal, AC Milan, Fenerbache and Valencia but none have got me. 

Looking for some help to decide what to do. I enjoy teams with a good young core, who have some money to spend and aren’t necessarily top of their leagues, think fallen giants or under performing teams who I can rebuild. 

My philosophy is a usual 433 with either control possession but open to trying other tactics. 

Any help of suggestions would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

I have exactly the same problem!

I'm giving Benfica a go this time, although there top of their league.. :( But I'm planning on clubhopping.

Other suggestions would be Valencia, Arsenal, RB Leipzig, AC Milan, Marseille, Sporting CP, CSKA Moscow, Anderlecht, Dinamo Kiev, AZ, Fenerbahce, Rangers, Sparta Praha, Hajduk, ..

1 hour ago, ernemann said:

Im looking for a new save and I cant make up my mind. Im gonna play with Real Santander or AJ Auxerre, but the clubs are very similar and often get very nice talents. Who would you choose?

Your choice should mainly depend on how do you want to play your game - do you want to develop youngsters as main priority? Or rather sign players from other clubs? Home or foreign? Prompt success or rather slowly building your way up?

39 minutes ago, Tomor29 said:

Your choice should mainly depend on how do you want to play your game - do you want to develop youngsters as main priority? Or rather sign players from other clubs? Home or foreign? Prompt success or rather slowly building your way up?

I would like to develop young players most from own club like did last year in Auxerre, but both have very good youth setup i think ;)

Then both teams look like good choices. The main difference is in the league then - there is much more money in Spain, so this may be easier for you. I would also recommend you some other teams with highly talented squads - Sporting Gijon in Spain, AZ Alkmaar in Holland or Hamburg/Leverkusen in Germany.

4 hours ago, Tomor29 said:

Then both teams look like good choices. The main difference is in the league then - there is much more money in Spain, so this may be easier for you. I would also recommend you some other teams with highly talented squads - Sporting Gijon in Spain, AZ Alkmaar in Holland or Hamburg/Leverkusen in Germany.

Decided To start with Stuttgart cause didnt want to begin in the Best League ;) 

Edited by ernemann

Hi,

I usually start a save at England second or third division.

I'm a Leeds fan, but I'm having difficulty to start a save with them... They look to strong.

I like to have a little bit of fight at first season, but that I could manage to be promoted. 

Thinking of Brentford (stadium size should be a problem?), I like the transfer policy (don't know if it can be done in the game), or Portsmouth. Also Leeds it's on the list. 

What you suggest? I like to be promoted every season, don't be fired, have some money to transfers, buy players with 23 or less. 

Thanks. 

Edited by pedromanuelpinto

10 hours ago, pedromanuelpinto said:

Hi,

I'm a Leeds fan, but I'm having difficulty to start a save with them... They look to strong.

I like to have a little bit of fight at first season, but that I could manage to be promoted. 

Thinking of Brentford (stadium size should be a problem?), I like the transfer policy (don't know if it can be done in the game), or Portsmouth. Also Leeds it's on the list. 

What you suggest? I like to be promoted every season, don't be fired, have some money to transfers, buy players with 23 or less. 

Thanks. 

Brentford are a good team who use a different approach to transfers.

Here is a link to the thread if you want to have a look and also contribute 

12 hours ago, pedromanuelpinto said:

Hi,

Thanks. 

Yup, leeds fan too, I lose interest as it's too easy..

Brentford is great... been one of my most enjoyable saves so far.

I also enjoyed w.b.a  .. big team but a cool mix of far too old players to replace and a few very good youngsters to build your new team around .. you should definitely be able to get promotion quite easily, but the rebuild is the fun part...

Blackburn is interesting a they have a few key players to keep like lewis travis and dack and you have a massive job of building a team around them..

Reading, really good young players in the reserves etc to build a team around slowly.

Brentford lacks the youth team, youth recruitment etc. thats why for me playing an enjoyable save with them is impossible. 

As for AZ Alkmaar, i dont want to get into the specifics and spoil the fun but some of those highly rated youngsters have pretty low consistency (hidden attribute) and if you are a picky manager like me, thats also a big no for me. 

Edited by CapaJr

1 hour ago, CapaJr said:

Brentford lacks the youth team, youth recruitment etc. thats why for me playing an enjoyable save with them is impossible. 

As for AZ Alkmaar, i dont want to get into the specifics and spoil the fun but some of those highly rated youngsters have pretty low consistency (hidden attribute) and if you are a picky manager like me, thats also a big no for me. 

If you wanted to though eventually after a season or 2 the board will let you improve youth recruitment, upgrade youth facilities etc, I even had the board insist on me upgrading the youth system when they did the team vision in my 2nd season.

I just decided not to do that as I wanted to keep the to real life ethos of Brentford.

3 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Anderlecht is debt ridden with a massive net debt/ go with RB Austria they are a great club 

Having recently been to Brussels, I've started a save with Anderlecht one season in. It's a massive job. They have a lot of lesser quality players on big money and are 90m in the red. I've sold as many of them as possible to get closer to breaking even and getting the wage bill down, and starting with youth. 

4 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Anderlecht is debt ridden with a massive net debt/ go with RB Austria they are a great club 

As I am looking for a casual save this definitely helped me.

Cheers

On 09/02/2020 at 06:37, exumo said:

As I am looking for a casual save this definitely helped me.

Cheers

Welcome ive wanted to many times but as the lad above said 90 million in debt. not a good casual save ! but redbull Austria have some amazing youth and some good chances of getting proper fun regens coming through. and European football. 

Wondering if anyone could help: I'd like the satisfaction of taking a lower league team to the top, but, seeing as how I'm not very good at this game, without a ridiculously hard challenge. Basically I'm looking for a team much bigger than their situation, if that makes sense, or at least the best team in their current division. Ideally in one of the big five nations, with English a last resort because my last save was there. I was vaguely considering 1860 Munich, but I have no idea if they are suitable. Anyway, yes, any input would be appreciated, thanks. 

21 hours ago, faust405245 said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I did think of Palermo but when I tried to load Italy it only went down to Serie C? I'll check out Auxerre, cheers.

Yes you need to go on steam workshop and find the serie D leagues and add them. 

Big club way down there. Would be a really unique save 

Going to try and recreate my FM15 success with Torino, I ended up managing them during a pentagon challenge save, they had a good budget and I was going to use them to propel me to a bigger European club but in the end I ended up staying there for around 10-15 years and couldn't bare to leave them even after winning multiple champions league titles. Here are some screenshots of my best and final season including Torino's greatest ever player.

Ramazan Sarac Attributes.jpg

Torino season 35:36.jpg

Ramazan Sarac.jpg

Torino Best 11 35:36.jpg

Edited by jbutton

Looking for a team to manage that has good potential. Minimum mid table in a top division, but happy with higher. A couple of good youngsters or one really good one, stable finances etc.

Any ideas? Want to be able to push in to Europe and compete in a decent time frame, so happy to go with a 'bigger' club too, had fun with an Arsenal save (team I support) at the start of the game, and my best save last year was Lyon.