Expectations for next season

I just won promotion from league two with my Crawley team who the board expected to finish in the play offs at the start of the season. I over achieved versus expectations slightly as we finished second and went up automatically.

My contract is up for renewal in the close season and in the terms offered by the chairman state an expected position of play offs again for next season. I turned down the original offer for contract discussions as I wanted some certainty first about which division we'd be in next season. After we got promoted, the next time the chairman offered me terms the wage budget increased, transfers funds remained the same (~£100k which is naff all really) but the expectation is still play offs!

At this point it's well after the season ended (FA Cup final played) but before the official season update. Are the expectations likely to remain the same after the update? It seems a tad unfair that I'm expected to work miracles with a budget that won't compare favourably against most of the established league one sides as I'm forced to wheel and deal for frees and loans. We also desperately need a training ground upgrade as players aren't progressing with our current below average facilities, but the board say there is no money!

Am I panicking over nothing or is this a tad unrealistic?!

Archived