FM19 worth the buy over FM18?

Hi everyone, 

I stopped playing FM about two hours into FM18 i just got bored with it but i fancy having another go at it, my Q is - is FM19 worth buying over FM18? are there any worthwhile changes to over the later version? 

I understand that FM20 is out in a month or two but in the meantime i fancy another save to get my "eye in" again so wondered the above basically.

For me the last real great edition of FM that i really enjoyed was FM15 and have found myself downloading a recent 18/19 updated database for that but figured i would ask the Q about fm18 or fm19. 

Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, _neallyons_ said:

Hi everyone, 

I stopped playing FM about two hours into FM18 i just got bored with it but i fancy having another go at it, my Q is - is FM19 worth buying over FM18? are there any worthwhile changes to over the later version? 

I understand that FM20 is out in a month or two but in the meantime i fancy another save to get my "eye in" again so wondered the above basically.

For me the last real great edition of FM that i really enjoyed was FM15 and have found myself downloading a recent 18/19 updated database for that but figured i would ask the Q about fm18 or fm19. 

Cheers. 

FM17 is the better of both

I went back to FM17... and couldn't believe how much fun it was.... I got a smile on my face from the moment my savegame was loaded.... that nice UI, everything so smooth... it brought back everything I love about FM.... If I wouldn't know any better I would've thought FM17 was the newest game in the series and "a big step forward in terms of user experience".... 

I'm always on the side of "Buy the latest version, it's the best version, people have been working on it for almost a year..." but this time, I find myself caught and enjoying an older version much more than the 2 recent ones... (and not because of nostalgic feeling, because FM17 only had 15 hours playing time before I got back to it just a few weeks ago)

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

I didn't buy FM18 so can't comment specifically on that.

Its a huge step up from FM17.

Back to FM18-FM19, the big difference is tactics as you can set line of engagement, defensive width and counter-press, as well as some realistic pre-prepared tactics e.g. tiki-taka, catenaccio, gegenpress etc.

If you own 18, it's miles better than 19. 19 suffers from poor player movement in the final third, which  leads to a lot of long shots and blocked crosses.

The training revamp looks good until you try and mentor players, or develop a player's weakest abilities. I haven't really played 17 but I have hundreds of hours in 18. Stick with it and don't pre order 20 yet.

As i say guys i played VERY little of FM18 as it just bored me instantly - i found that FM15 was superb, i really enjoyed it and invested a lot of time in that game - i would say that FM16 was a big jump/change from 15 with new interface etc and then FM17 was what 16 should have been - much improved. So its like FM15, FM17 are both good - FM16,FM18 not so good and by the sounds of it FM19 isnt much better than FM18. Hopefully FM20 is a big jump in quality in terms of UI.

I can cope with the match engine not being 100% but i did not enjoy the UI of FM18 one bit. I might just stick with my beautiful looking FM15...

Hard to tell...

FM19 is absurdly frustrating in terms of strikers movement, to the point of wingers in flat 4-4-2 will likely score double-digits, on par with your second-best striker.

However the TC improvements are maybe worth a try, if you're ready to sit through long games on "Extended" highlights to see if everything works as you'd expect and want.

The new training system is frankly awful, so not having it is a plus. Mentoring is a mixed bag and so is most of the interaction/dynamics.

Frankly, it's a matter of habit... Once you're used to the new features, you'll sort of miss them. But if you don't use them, you're good to go with any older iteration.

No, it's awful. FM19 has no crossing, 15-20 useless corners per game, usually AI goes 0-1 and defend, defend, defend. I am done with FM19. See you next year with FM20 when i will buy it for 10-12 euros. I'm glad this year i didn't pay more than 12 euros for this crap.

Edited by Muerte706

FM18 - Excellent attacking movement, long shots and direct free kicks are an attrocity in how bad they are, both in quantity and quality.

FM19 - Attrocious attacking movement, long shots and direct free kicks are excellent, both in quantity and quality.

FM20 - ???

9 hours ago, Muerte706 said:

No, it's awful. FM19 has no crossing,

Are you sure that isn't down to your tactics? With my Dortmund team with wingbacks that push forward and attacking wingers, I'm constantly getting either crosses from the byline in, or whipped crosses resulting in a lovely volley goal.

From my last match: 

8 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Are you sure that isn't down to your tactics? With my Dortmund team with wingbacks that push forward and attacking wingers, I'm constantly getting either crosses from the byline in, or whipped crosses resulting in a lovely volley goal.

From my last match: 

Obviously, he's exagerating.

There's actually a lot of crossing, but also an enormous amount of corners because sometimes wingers tend to hold up on the ball no matter the tempo just to smash it in a defender's legs.

Edited by Lanko

6 hours ago, Muerte706 said:

image.thumb.png.084ce8c051319a68cfb38ced8c6a2702.png

Yeah. FM19. 0%

Yeah. Have you ever watched football before?

Bellerin's real life cross completion ratio across 143 games is 17%, and he's failed to complete a single cross in more games than he's provided one or more successful crosses...

4 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Yeah. Have you ever watched football before?

Bellerin's real life cross completion ratio across 143 games is 17%, and he's failed to complete a single cross in more games than he's provided one or more successful crosses...

I doubt this statistic is to exactly reflect Bellerin's numbers in real life...

As i said, i got instantly bored with FM18 from the get-go and from what i can see fm19 isnt an improvement. I expected fm19 to be fm18 "reloaded" with any problems/issues ironed out and the interface improved a bit. 

FM17 was quite good, it was like 16 but with any issues corrected and improved.. FM15, class game very enjoyable interface and decent AI. 

FM15 - solid game, 

FM17 - solid game, 

HOPING FM20 is going to be fm18 and fm19 rolled into one "reloaded" and any issues ironed out and just a bit of magic dust sprinkled onto it, we can only hope. 

I will stick to either 15 or 17 for the time being. 

16 hours ago, _neallyons_ said:

As i said, i got instantly bored with FM18 from the get-go and from what i can see fm19 isnt an improvement. I expected fm19 to be fm18 "reloaded" with any problems/issues ironed out and the interface improved a bit. 

FM17 was quite good, it was like 16 but with any issues corrected and improved.. FM15, class game very enjoyable interface and decent AI. 

FM15 - solid game, 

FM17 - solid game, 

HOPING FM20 is going to be fm18 and fm19 rolled into one "reloaded" and any issues ironed out and just a bit of magic dust sprinkled onto it, we can only hope. 

I will stick to either 15 or 17 for the time being. 

In a nutshell, this. I couldn't get on with 18 don't know what it was I just couldn't get into a save on it. 19 was an improvement, however the time between matches and clicks between menus was longer than it was on 17 I managed to get into 19 until I encountered 3 game breaking bugs which sapped my enjoyment right out. Gone back to 17 for the foreseeable. Such a great game almost perfect in every way

I just can't get it why they think in FM19 their color scheme, font type and general UI is an improvement and is actually up to the standard you expect from such a game. For me, FM17 gives me so much better user experience (without even talking about features, just looking and browsing in the game menu's)

On 01/09/2019 at 14:49, Muerte706 said:

image.thumb.png.084ce8c051319a68cfb38ced8c6a2702.png

Yeah. FM19. 0%

That's one match. You can justify anything if you pick the right match and stats. My last match, My winger had a 100% win rate for aerial duels. He must be a beast in the air, right? I left out that it was 1 attempt only and that his JR is only 9 and he was up against a shorter fullback who was caught out of position. 

Over a 6 month period, my team averages 13% for cross completion. 

• FrazT locked this topic
  • FrazT unlocked this topic