Barnet: How High Can They Go?

scott92507

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

EDIT: My question from a few pages ago was answered further in the thread.

Metal, I don’t see a question from you. Perhaps you posted this in the wrong thread? (I once did a whole Barnet update in another person’s thread by accident!) 

50 minutes ago, scott92507 said:

Metal, I don’t see a question from you. Perhaps you posted this in the wrong thread? (I once did a whole Barnet update in another person’s thread by accident!) 

No I deleted the question with my edit pal. Was asking about general managers and then read further and it was answered.

Three seasons ago we raided the youth castoffs from the Premier League, picking up five players, dubbed The Young Ones — three of whom are now starters: Butler (CB), Harrison (CM), and Heredia (ACM). Last season we nicked one that way, Blake (RWB), but he spent most of the season out with a broken leg. This season we grabbed two that I think have good potential:

From Chelsea

641834E7-8936-45A5-995F-97DA87E0C204.jpeg

From Manchester City

2D9AA288-6302-4593-8AC4-4555EF5321FF.jpeg

We quickly sent them out on loan where they can be starters, and we can recall them if we run  into injury problems.

We tried mightily to buy a quality striker,  but we were not successful. And our loan bids tended to be turned down by the players. I guess they do not want to play in our tiny stadium. We also hunted for a high-quality ACM; Heredia is good, but his productivity has not been what we would like. But we failed there too.

So we renewed our loan of Dave Stott as our best striker — he won the Championship League golden boot last season with 17 goals in 32 matches.

AFC85341-1E02-4D3E-A52A-8D2CB406ABCC.jpeg

We also picked up Rhian Brewster on a free transfer from Liverpool after he spent the season on loan with us. He is our first player valued at more than a million pounds (1.8 actually).

50817304-117A-467E-B95D-072C9922EFF0.jpeg

Edited by scott92507

Betfred London.JPG

In Barnet's first season in the Championship, we were predicted to finish last. Instead we finished 7th. In our second season we were predicted to finish 23rd, but instead we finished 5th. Despite those wrong predictions, in our third season the bet shops are predicting us to finish 23rd again. Barnet has 1000-1 odds of winning the league. So Monty has put down a thousand-pound bet on those odds. If we win the league, Monty takes home a million.

FM Prediction 2024-2025.png

FM Prediction 2 2024-2025.png

Edited by scott92507

Southhampton is the favorites! Did you see the game against Liecester they looked like a non-league team.  (I know the players aren't the same)

Good Luck on your bet...maybe Monty should retire if Barnet wins the League! LOL

Southampton got hammered, but being down a man didn’t help. That red card did not look warranted to me.

Barnet IRL. Is there talk of getting rid of Currie? I never see an interview with him where he seems inspiring or animated. Of course, most of the interviews are after a loss or a draw they should have won, so he might have reason to be depressed.

The season started with disaster. We lost Dave Stott’s golden boot for up to two months.

84514482-AF10-45B3-827E-F2E89D8EF788.jpeg

But somehow we have managed a good start. Our defense has been pretty sound so far. However, our last few games have shown the lack of scoring boots -- two goals in four games is not good.

Early Games.png

Early Season.png

And the board of directors, without prompting, have offered Monty a new contract: a raise of about 100K, to 339K.

New Contract.png

(Out of curiosity, I replayed the playoffs from last season until Barnet gained promotion so I could see what their budgets in the Premier League would be: 26 million for transfers and 21 million for salaries.)

Edited by scott92507

Half way through the season. Even though we have spent the entire time in the playoff zone, the season has been frustrating. Several injuries and even re-injuries to starting players have kept us from fielding our best team at times. And we have had some mediocre play from several key players.

800239E1-6FE0-4773-884B-6FD8BE9794B9.jpeg

Last season at this stage we were in 4th place with 42 points. Although our overall scoring was about the same, the goals were more evenly distributed. This season, we have 10 goals in just two games. Our record would be better if some of that scoring had happened when we needed it more.

FAACB508-3FE3-48B7-97ED-EAF3763EE0D9.jpeg

I have been particularly frustrated with the goalkeeping. The defense may be sound overall, but the goalkeepers have given up some easy goals. They have been caught flat footed on free kicks, for instance. We have 1.2 million available for transfers and 600K in salary. I hope to spend all of that on obtaining a high-quality GK.

Despite my complaining, the board still seems pleased with Monty. The team is almost 3 million in the red at the moment, but that loss stems from the expense of the new stadium.

D2AFA5EF-0ED5-4ABC-9C19-B2F91F517A77.jpeg

Edited by scott92507

9F520073-48D3-4BA6-9C27-5811C321D602.jpeg

It is springtime in London and a young man’s heart turns to... the Championship League playoffs.

Barnet remained in the playoff zone the entire season, even though we flirted with 7th place in the later stages.

70B74DDC-B8F6-4388-BE95-1F51BB227189.jpeg

333B9361-2E06-4D79-B349-84D6E49147F2.jpeg

West Ham slipped into the last playoff spot on the last day of the season.

Barnet will play Burnley, with whom we split during league play: 2-1 at The Hive and 0-1 at their home.

Scoring remained inconsistent for the second half of the season, and injuries remained very consistent. We are lucky to finish where we did. (But looking back at our three seasons in this league, I can see we are rather consistent and perhaps even improving. Season One: 7th 21-14-11 62 46 16 77 points. Season Two: 5th 23-12-11 69 47 22 81 points. Season Three: 5th 23-9-14 73 47 26 78 points.)

We ended the season with a deficit of 6 million. The solidarity payment will take care of most of that. And if we can double gate receipts in our new home next year, we should erase that deficit without much trouble. Of course, if we get promoted we will be swimming in cash, but I do not count on that happening.

We definitely will be losing Carlos Heredia. He is not interested in resigning with us, and Monty is not that eager to have him back. His productivity has never been what we expected (I definitely wanted more assists from the ACM in a 4-2-3-1), and his salary demands were getting out of hand. I think the directors and the fans will be upset about his departure, but they will need to trust Monty on this one.

8ED0904C-70EA-4E78-88D9-B20C04380A32.jpeg

8D68B291-B159-4048-9B71-58AE2B0792BF.jpeg

I am hoping the trequarista we acquired at mid-season can develop into a good replacement for him.

4AAA3A03-FD13-4E2C-A320-B9C61E6C87A9.jpeg

Edited by scott92507

Heredia’s lack of productivity could have been my fault. I couldn’t find the system that he worked well in. His scout report talked about his ability to see passing lanes and create scoring opportunities. But I never saw that on the field.

The playoffs were disappointing.

At home we gave up a tying goal in added time — we gave up more late goals than we scored this season. Away we got hammered. Burnley went on to win promotion, beating West Ham in the final.

60C26C37-E3AD-4A60-97EB-AC1978B3A369.png

BE06F67C-540E-42E6-8907-3CF8C17F4AC9.png

Edited by scott92507

But why all this talk of Carlos Heredia? This was the season of right winger James Hardy.

633389CA-3E26-483F-9F09-B676DE49D38B.jpeg

He set the Barnet record for assists in a season.

A9FD6D0A-1CDE-4558-B864-BC091C0B8227.jpeg

In league stats, he was our sole representative. Top 10 in assists. Top 10 in Player of the Match honors. Top 10 in overall player rating. And he had our best-selling jersey.

F3DE04F0-420D-443A-900F-1303F92916D3.jpeg

86245706-26A4-494D-91C5-E01681451447.jpeg

P.S. — Carlos is now a backup in the league below Barnet, playing for half of what he was demanding from us.

70CF17E8-ADB3-4D21-B647-DAD34EE27B8E.jpeg

Edited by scott92507

Our new home is called Barnet Stadium, but that naming is the default for a new stadium: Team Name + Stadium. So I do not know that we have moved back to Barnet. The site of the old Barnet home, Underhill Stadium, is still open and could accommodate a stadium that seats 19,000 (with the capability of expansion to 30,000).

DB8CFFDC-68F6-4E5B-B497-DE251B1E1B62.jpeg

But there seems to be little commercial development near the Underhill site. High Barnet Station (the end of that line) is just up the street, so that is good. However, the streets do not look good for game day traffic, assuming that people in England drive to football matches. This is the suburbs, so perhaps they do. 

Open space exists next to The Hive and adjacent to the Canons Park Station, so we could remain in Edgware/Harrow. The population is denser there, so that means more of the potential spectators live close to the stadium. (We could raze The Hive and replace the playing fields occupied by the stadium, and this might minimize resistance to the project.)

6C9E8A5A-493B-416C-875B-0E56B603306C.jpeg

Our new home is about the size of Loftus Road, home of the Queen’s Park Rangers. That stadium is jammed right in the middle of residential streets, and there is no parking that I can see — I doubt it is underground. I see this a lot in English and Scottish stadiums; people live right across the street. Some folks could watch the game from their upstairs rooms. (I realize space demands and transportation habits make for different designs. In the United States every stadium is surrounded by acres of parking, and only very small stadiums are adjacent to homes.)

6BA5EC99-5C36-4787-8D5D-CDF276FE3B70.jpeg

So, which should it be?

New Underhill Stadium? (It could be called Barnet Lane, for the street it probably would face.)

The Hive 2.0?

I can edit the location and name of the stadium in the game.

Edited by scott92507

Apparently the Barnet council rejected the expansion of Underhill Stadium after Anthony Kleanthous bought the team, so he moved it to The Hive, which he owned. He has put a lot of money into that site and the surrounding pitches. He and the Edgware council may want the team to stay there. (He still owns the team in the game.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Kleanthous

Edited by scott92507

At last Barnet does not have the smallest salary budget in the league.

3C97888C-7205-44EE-9EF7-7A040609C9C3.thumb.jpeg.38e31892451f751d60f577c8ba149cf6.jpeg

However, we do sit amongst the recently promoted teams. So we are still a League One team in many ways. This new stadium should increase our income, though, and in turn increase our payroll and player quality.

And finally we are not predicted for relegation, not that past predictions have been accurate.

856FF85C-7A32-4756-B4EC-99795C1C9C86.jpeg

Last season, when Barnet was given 1000-1 odds for promotion, Monty wagered a thousand pounds. He lost, but he stood to win a million, so the bet seemed worth it. (And he got a raise soon after, so he could afford to drop a thousand on a lark.) With Barnet’s odds at 350-1, Monty still thinks a big bet is worthwhile — if only to motivate his players. So if the Bees manage to win promotion, he will win 350K — on top of the big promotion raise he would get.

Meanwhile, the teams most likely to win promotion:

C211D6E1-BF0A-4354-950C-C07778639AB6.jpeg

Edited by scott92507

I messed around on Google maps today and determined that Loftus Road could fit into the open space north of The Hive. So I think the new stadium would go there. Kleanthous probably would want to keep the new stadium near the facility he has spent millions on already, and the team could keep training at The Hive, which is apparently a very high quality complex. Also, he may still be mad at the Barnet council for choosing the Saracens rugby club over his football team when it decided who would have a new stadium in Barnet.

The stadium financing was assisted by including some commercial development, so it makes sense that the stadium would displace the low density commercial sites to have its public face on Whitchurch Lane. That entrance would include some office space and retail. The front development could widen the road a bit to accommodate buses, which could transport fans to and from the Edgware Station (1mile) and the restaurants near it. The Canons Park Station is just across the street.

That brings us to naming. Once I am confident in editing the game files on my PC version of FMT 19, I will change the name to Canons Park Stadium. Monty voted for Three Wishes Stadium, after his favorite pub, but that was ruled out by the board of directors.

Sorry, Carambau. I know you wanted the Bees back in Barnet, but the Sim City player inside me couldn’t see that working. 

The season has started well. Our only loss so far was a pre-season game against Sporting (our training camp was held in Portugal). I realize that mentioning this means we will lose our next game. We are not scoring many goals, but were are not conceding many either.

Early Season 8.png

Table Season 8.png

We have had a couple of sellouts already in the new stadium. I scheduled the AFC Wimbledon friendly as the first game in the new home specifically hoping for a sellout; another London team would bring a lot of fans with them. But that game had only about 12,000 people in the stands. But the Arsenal friendly did sell out. For the regular season we have a little more than 6,000 season ticket holders, which is about the capacity of The Hive. By just August we have surpassed the ticket sales of all of last season -- £4.1 million then vs. £4.4 million now.

One player we moved last year was Mick Ball, a striker who had good potential but who was not producing for us. I had some productive players requiring bigger salaries to keep -- bidding wars erupted for a couple of my first-teamers -- so getting rid of Ball and Heredia allowed me to give raises to others and renew contracts. Plus, we get about £500K for Ball's transfer fee. We try to console ourselves that he is doing so well because he is in League One; we tell ourselves that if he were still with us in the Championship, he would still be struggling to score goals.

Mick Ball.png

Edited by scott92507

We finally lost, 1-0 against Nottingham Forest at home. But then took out our frustrations on Crewe, 9-0, away. in the process we set the Championship League combined goals record in a game, except it was all done by one team.

Crewe.png

Scoring record.png

Most surprisingly, perhaps, is that Barnet is in first place after 10 games!

Table after 10.png

Edited by scott92507

IRL has been busy. Not much time for imaginary football.

Five games since the last report -- and Barnet remains in first place. Our defense remains rather stingy! Our offense is kind of stingy too, with a third of our goals coming in one game.

Fifteen Games.png

Was checking various issues with players. Saw that Rhian Brewster wanted a new contract to reflect his ability, though he was not complaining about this publicly. So I renegotiated his contract, and then saw the report that he was no longer wanting a new contract. D'oh. Too late. I had offered him the raise already.

Edited by scott92507

Kleanthous is 60 years old, and I guess he wants to enjoy an early retirement. He wants to sell the team.

Kleanthous Selling.png

Perhaps he senses we will not make it to promotion and wants to sell the team at its peak? Or perhaps some deep-money folks sense promotion is coming and want to buy the team before that happens?

The team is not overburdened with the debt from the new stadium. We are turning a profit this year and the stadium is selling out. So debt does not seem to be a motivator.

Edited by scott92507

Much to everyone's surprise -- including our own -- Barnet finds itself atop the Championship League at the midway point.

Mid Season 25-26.png

Schedule 25-26.png

Although we began conceding more goals in November and December, we maintain the best defense in the league. And although our scoring feels uneven, we have the second best offense in the league.

Our much-anticipated showdown with Stoke ended in a hard-fought draw, 1-1. It was a difficult match, with strategic substitutions and changing of tactics throughout. We tied the game late, and only after Stoke was a man down because of a red card.

Stoke tie.png

Our left fullback Brandon Fleming is the highest rated player in the league, and our starting goalkeeper, Will Mannion, is among the top rated players.

Player Ratings Halfway.png

Edited by scott92507

The second half of the season started with drama.

Starting left winger, James Hardy, who had a stellar season last year, was injured and will miss 5 to 6 months. The rest of the season. Fortunately, Rhian Brewster can take his place instead of playing at striker as I had been using him.

The second bit of drama was Kleanthous looking to sell to a local investor. That dragged on a bit, and Barnet was going to be embargoed for the transfer window. I was surprised to see the takeover speculation mentioned the team's debt. Yes, Kleanthous borrowed £30 million to build the new stadium, but with the expanded ticket sales -- and our continual sellouts -- the team was managing the loan payments. The debt did not seem to be a problem to me.

When interviewed about the takeover, Monty said he would love for Kleanthous to stay.

Ownership Rumors.png

Fortunately, the deal blew up before the transfer window opened. Not that we were going to do much business.

Takeover Drama.png

Takeover Over.png

The third bit of drama was interest from Premier League teams for a couple of our young players. To keep them, Monty had to toss the salary budget out the window. He is now spending about £500K over the budget, £7.3 million total. But 30 games into the season, Barnet is still fighting with Stoke for first place. If we win promotion, no one will be concerned about the current budget situation.

Edited by scott92507

London Rain.jpg

Most of our games are soggy affairs this time of year, but Barnet has been coming out on top for most of them. So Monty is not complaining.

He won the Coach of the Month Award for February.

Coach Award February.png

And most of one Team of the Week consisted of Barnet players during that stretch.

Team of the Week.png

And as the season enters the homestretch, Barnet and Stoke remain atop the table.

Late Table.png

Edited by scott92507

6B1787A6-4066-479F-BDA6-C9A69FDE0CEB.jpeg

We stumbled a bit in the last few weeks. After spending much of the season in a promotion spot, Barnet fell to third place for a few days. But a victory over West Ham put us back in second place, and a victory in the final game of the season secured a small margin above Crystal Palace.

86C40D11-3433-4316-BFFE-603115B9301E.jpeg

73442364-D8A2-460B-9427-98EA2987FAAF.jpeg

We had the best defense in the league. We won close to same number of games as last season, but we converted games that we lost last season into draws this season. Stoke dominated the Team of the Season roster, but we placed two defenders on that list: our goalkeeper and a center back.

46E264FA-4F5D-4AA0-8063-DA7C75ADC208.jpeg

As the season ended, Kleanthous was negotiating with a London investor’s consortium to buy the team. It was the same investor from the earlier failed attempt. Unbelievably, the deal was sealed for just £24 million AFTER promotion was secured. Barnet will receive £96 million in TV money alone in the coming season. How does that deal make sense?

Meanwhile, Monty hurried down to the betting parlor to collect on his 350-1 bet on Barnet’s promotion. His £1,000  is now £350,000. Perhaps he will buy a nice condo.

Edited by scott92507

Off-season was busy releasing, buying, loaning in and loaning out players, as we attempt to adjust to the Premier League. With that has come expected morale problems, as our regular starters fear they are being replaced on the roster. 

Monty and his general manager spent a lot of the new owner’s money and brought in quiet a few players. They spent less than was allotted for transfers, but they went well beyond the original salary budget. They are still scrambling to get some players loaned out so the locker room does not become too crowded and to keep developing players who would get less playing time in the new circumstances.

3B327AF6-8FDB-478C-917F-A5B275B6BE1F.jpeg

BF728A9D-A02A-46DC-8CC7-C807BB48602A.jpeg

The biggest acquisitions were probably a midfielder and a striker.

DE4F88B9-7646-4CE6-BB92-7333C6820747.jpeg

798A7EC0-92B1-46C5-A3C3-55FBF3BD405E.jpeg

We tried really hard to get a star striker on loan, but no one was interested in playing for Barnet. Monty finally settled on Mendes, partly because he beat Barnet badly last season.

The general manager brought in some veteran players who are older than Monty would like, but they have Premier experience, so that should help.

This will be a challenging season, trying to avoid relegation, blending new players into the team, and keeping everyone happy. 

Edited by scott92507

Win with kids!...that's always my motto. I only keep 30+ y.o. players if they are in the middle of a contract and/or Team Leaders, Favorites, Icons, or Legends. You can always find a younger cheaper version especially as a Premier League Club.

Old players are most useful if they have high leadership and "good" personalities and are Captain or Vice Captain. Then get them on your side and they will solve most of your personnel problems for you.

Hootie, I should have been more mindful with who I added. I was letting the GM call some shots here, though I did reject some of the players he tried to sign. 

I am a few games into our first Premier League season (4-2-2 so far), but I have a save at the end of the previous season, and I might experiment with keeping my roster pretty much unchanged — spend all of my money on one or two truly superb players. See what happens in that multiverse.

I cannot complain about the record. We have lost only to Chelsea (3-1) and Man City (2-0). I am very frustrated with our offense; just 7 goals scored in 8 games. But then our defense is doing well; just 7 goals conceded in 8 games. I hope our offense picks up once two of our best players from last season are back from pre-season injuries. With the number of players we added, I am getting to know a new team actually. 

Good news for Monty. He got a raise.

1AE298C4-B3C6-4008-8609-F2A54714A965.jpeg

This more than doubled his salary. He asked for the Euro Cup bonus for grins. Since it is so unlikely, the directors had no trouble including it. 

Edited by scott92507

Ten games in and we are definitely enjoying a home field advantage. We even beat Tottenham in Barnet. (I imagine they will exact their revenge when we visit their stadium.)

0B9EA501-57F7-4A3C-A232-31E98F3BEC06.jpeg

F5CEF332-5085-4C2D-BBCD-708A096E7AEC.jpeg

Despite the success, we still are trying to find some good team chemistry, which is being hampered by injuries to major players. Veteran players resent diminished playing time, and new players need more minutes on the field to integrate with the team.

Edited by scott92507

7A075C24-B16B-4241-BD97-5C6D5CBCD33D.jpeg

October in London and the leaves are turning. Monty reminds himself to get out and see the city, to enjoy his good life and to not let the pressures of the Premier League dominate his life entirely.

One thing he thinks of in his strolls about town are the youth players he picked up when Barnet was still climbing and how they have become first-team members. He picked up Mark Blake on a free transfer when he was released from Chelsea, and Richard Lewis joined Barnet the next year after being released from Manchester City.  They now rotate with veterans in the left and right fullback spots.

B9663C21-F640-4D8B-9094-48CD2390F6ED.jpeg

BEA924B5-CBAC-4D99-AB88-041D8180705D.jpeg

BEC797E5-D0CE-4CBC-92C0-7833CC669798.jpeg

AF973778-7CA6-4CC1-8731-8A2C24966F5A.jpeg

Both players are progressing, but both indicate slight declines in determination. Is that simply a matter of playing time? They are getting 20+ matches per season. Or is that improved through mentoring?

Edited by scott92507

Monty is exasperated with his players. He has guided them to the Premier League. Many of them are making more than they ever have in their lives, and possibly more money than they ever will again. They are in the top half of the table. They play to a sold out arena every game. And yet the highest morale rating on the team is “fairly okay.”

More than one player has gone to the press to complain about playing time. Monty never responds to those public demands. No response is effective. If Monty tells the player to prove himself, he complains that he has nothing to prove to Monty and he should be starting more games. If Monty tells him he hasn’t proven himself when given the opportunity, he says, “Well, I don’t think that helps anything.” Besides, whining to the press has traditionally been the fastest way to the transfer list for Monty.

Wesley Fonguck is the only Bee remaining from Monty’s original roster. He has climbed from the Vanarama National League to the Premier League, where he appears on national television. And yet he whines about playing time.

Fine. Keep it up, Bees, and Monty will cut your ass. Then let’s see how you like playing for Wycombe.

The good news is moods are improving among the players. The bad news is we cannot score any goals nor win any games as of late.

The good news is our early-season form has kept us safe from the relegation zone so far. The bad news is half of our starting lineup is injured.

Mid-season Premier.png

Mid-season Premier Sched.png

Edited by scott92507

Barnet survived. Facing several top-of-the-table teams at the end of the season was made worse by having five first-team players out with injuries. We held on to 9th place for a few weeks, but then fell to 11th. We were promoted with Stoke and Rotherham, and we finished one spot ahead of Stoke. Rotherham is going back down.

End Season Premier.png

End of Schedule Premier.png

A report late in the season indicated Barnet was one of the most-profitable teams in the league, and with the prize money for finishing 11th, we may have passed Rotherham, who finished last. We ended the season with 64 million in the bank. The three newly promoted teams were the most profitable, which is probably not surprising. We came in with the smallest budgets; we realized the biggest percentage increase in revenues.

League Profits.png

Our salary budget this season was about £28 million. Next season it will be about £41 million, with a transfer budget of about £40 million.

We have a ton of players out on loan. Some were loaned for development purposes and some were loaned to reduce the overcrowding in the locker room and to keep the players fresh in case we needed to recall them. A few have their contracts expiring this year and they will be let go; some will be transfer listed. We need to spend some money on players who can score. Our goal production was pretty bad.

Edited by scott92507