Sports Interactive Community
decapitated

What happens to Bury and Bolton in FM20 if they get thrown out of the league mid-season?

28 minutes ago, Bababui said:

The world of football needs SI and its money more than SI need them.

Lol.

Just...lol.

42 minutes ago, Bababui said:

And I really wish that the Power That Be over at SI would allow us greater latitude over how we spend our money. Ive always wanted a save where I invest heavily in youth development and facilities at the cost of transfers.

I'd prefer less to be honest, i'm the manager not the owner.  A better option in my mind would be that different owners/boards have different preferences.  Want to have more emphasis on youth? only apply for jobs at clubs that will give you the opportunity to do that.  I'd rather go to a club that share the same vision and this to a certain extent is already in the game.

To be honest it stretches the realms of realism that managers are involved in contract and transfer negotiations but maybe that's a discussion for another time

5 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Anyone remember this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-11231856

Ilkeston were in the Conference North at the time - if my memory serves me right FM11 had that league with 21 clubs rather than 22.  I could be wrong though.

Go on @Crispypaul load it up and find out, you know, for the community :D

7 hours ago, Peter Morgan said:

If FM20 was to mirror reality, then wouldn't the release database have Bury in League 1 (because they were a League 1 side at the start of the season) but the winter update would then remove Bury and have the updated league structure/promotion/relegation decisions incorporated. Maybe this would be too much of an ask for a mid-season update, but then you could please everyone. Want Bury FC in? Use starting DB. Want Bury FC out? Use winter update DB. Prob doesn't work like that so please ignore me if that's the case!

No, because all of Bury's games from the start of the season were all suspended and they haven't played this season.

7 hours ago, Bababui said:

This is the old canard but it's ridiculous. Even if a specific team was specifically programmed to fail, it would still be highly unlikely that that team would have any legal recourse in a fictional game. Random events happening in a game are not actionable. Otherwise real player A could sue for being sent off for violent conduct.

For a start, I'm pretty sure SI know better than 99% of us on this. But also, the game is released in dozens of countries. They're always going have to err on the side of caution to avoid breaking the law or becoming liable for civil action in any of them.

Just leave us out and start with 23 please. I have absolutely no wish to see my team die time and time again. What people are going through right now I would not wish on my worst enemy. 

On 28/08/2019 at 09:37, Malicious Penguin said:

I thought I'd read somewhere that if one went then:

L1 to L2 - 3

L2 to L1 - 4

L2 to NL - 1

NL to L2 - 2

If both go I'd imagine it would be 

L1 to L2 - 2

L2 to L1 - 4

L2 to NL - 0

NL to L2 - 2

League 2 wont be affected in terms of relegation or else you will end up with 25 or 26 teams in League 2

2 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

For a start, I'm pretty sure SI know better than 99% of us on this. But also, the game is released in dozens of countries. They're always going have to err on the side of caution to avoid breaking the law or becoming liable for civil action in any of them.

This is a dangerous argument. So companies must always bow to the lowest common denominator in international trade. In China, kids under 18 are only allowed to use electronic devices for one hour a day, https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/76956241

Should SI mandate that lids cannot play more than an hour a day? How would they even enforce these goofy laws. What could China do about it? Should we care what authoritarian govs do or think?

2 hours ago, Bababui said:

This is a dangerous argument. So companies must always bow to the lowest common denominator in international trade. In China, kids under 18 are only allowed to use electronic devices for one hour a day, https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/76956241

Should SI mandate that lids cannot play more than an hour a day? How would they even enforce these goofy laws. What could China do about it? Should we care what authoritarian govs do or think?

Come on eh? That's a Chinese 'expert' giving his opinion, it is not a Law, it is advice to  parents. SPeaking as a  parent, it is pretty sound advice as well.

If my kids are spending too much time on their devices, I don't blame the software company, I look at my parenting. House rule or Law of the Land? 

Sorry, this is my area of 'expertise' but SI and any commercial organisation that operate in more than one international territory have to ensure that they abide by the laws and regulations of the countries they operate in - in the countries they operate in. 

For a game, or any software, such as this, the easiest (most cost-effective) and simplest way to make this happen is exactly that - 'lowest common denominator' may be the way you choose to word it, but without increasing legal costs and costs of product delivery it is the simplest and most sensible way to do it.

If car manufacturers operated the same way, ALL cars would be speed limited at 110kph, or whatever the lowest max speed is in the territories they supply to, but a different product has different requirements.

There IS a geo-restriction on Football Manager keys, although I suspect that is more for tax or economic purposes rather than other legal reasons.

So taking a perfectly sound argument to the total extreme just to counter massively over-simplifies the whole thing.

The situation isn't resolved yet as far as I know. Forgive me if I'm wrong on this but Bury haven't ceased to exist yet. They've only been thrown out of the football league and are technically still trading for now, even though it looks dire and they'll probably go to the wall. There is a very slim chance the club stays in the league, (even though the EFL has said no, it might go though courts or something) if and when the takeover happens.

The structure of league 2 and beyond also hasn't been decided.

So it's a little early IMO for SI to do anything with this situation, especially when they are at, or coming to their busiest period as a company.

17 hours ago, lionel messi said:

League 2 wont be affected in terms of relegation or else you will end up with 25 or 26 teams in League 2

They'll have 23 teams if relegation/promotion to non-league doesn't change, so either 1 fewer goes down or 1 more comes up.

On 30/08/2019 at 00:10, Bababui said:

You really are talking some nonsense.