Sports Interactive Community
djpdavey

4-1-4-1 Struggling to make chances inside the box

I am struggling to create chances inside the box currently. I only seem to score from set pieces.

4-1-4-1.thumb.png.f027ba1f4405b86f715ed21f19de8b45.png

Do you really though? Have a look at your goal analysis to see if you are really scoring the majority of your goals from set-pieces. I'm not on the game but I think there's a chances analysis too to identify where the chances  are coming from, it may be your perception

On to the tactic, Balanced, shorter passing & a slower tempo will mean your team won't be in a rush to get the ball forward, great for possession stats but it's going to let the opposing team to get behind the ball & line up nicely

I like the look of your set-up, those midfield 4 make me feel a bit uncomfortable though, personally I'd have a S-A-S-A or A-S-A-S across them. There's a lack of runners too, apart from the Mezz, they look a very safe set of roles, maybe a winger or wing back on the opposing side to the Mezz may offer a bit more threat. The DLF won't look to spend much time in the box, he'll be dropping deep & trying to hold the ball up for the oncoming runner/s  & with their box now having their back 4 plus any defensive midfielders in & any supporting midfielders on the edge of the box it'll be tough getting through

I'd either change the striker to a spearhead type on Attack or change up to a faster, more direct set-up ie the DLF-S get's hold of the ball before the opposing team have their numbers back   

These are some suggestions,

1) Your right flank lacks width. Try changing the WM(A) to a W(S). I'd change the IWB from a (D) to a (S) so that the IWB would take up the space the MEZ vacates when he makes his forward runs.

2) Remove the 'Distribute to full-backs instruction. You seem to want to play a possession style of football so either add 'distribute to CBs' or leave it blank and hope your keeper can make the right decisions.

3) Change the width to either standard or narrow. In my opinion, having a wide or extremely wide width is more suited for more direct tactics, and less for possession tactics.

4) The team lacks creators, try changing either: the WM to a WP(S), the DM to a DLP(D) or the CM to a AP (S)

Edited by Ali Dia

6 hours ago, djpdavey said:

I am struggling to create chances inside the box currently. I only seem to score from set pieces.

4-1-4-1.thumb.png.f027ba1f4405b86f715ed21f19de8b45.png

i don't know your players, so take this with a pinch of salt, but here is at least an idea for you to think about. The fact is that a flat 4141 is not an ideal system for what you want to achieve, but it's still possible with certain tactical combinations and provided that you have the right type of players. So let's begin with a possible setup of roles and duties:

DLFsu/F9/TQ/CFsu

IWat        DLPsu      MEZat       Wsu

ACM

WBsu      CDde      CDde      IWBsu

GK/SK

As you can see, there are even 4 potential striker roles that can work nicely in this kind of system, but which one would be the best option depends (as always) on the player you play there. 

In terms of instructions, I don't think that you need both shorter passing and lower tempo at the same time when playing on the Balanced mentality.

Wide attacking width is also not necessary, at least as part of a starting tactic. Leave it on default for now, as you can always tweak it one way or the other when you see fit.

Depending on the qualities of your players, the Be more expressive is an instruction you may want to consider.

Not sure why you are asking the keeper to distribute specifically to FBs and thus limiting his options. You can either tell him to distribute to both CBs and FBs or simply leave the distribution TI on default. With the Play out of defence on, the keeper will tend to play from the back anyway, especially as you do not use a TM up front.