Which attributes point to a regen succeeding

I'm trying to identify promising new regens (without using the in-game editor), and was wondering if there was any consensus on which attributes pointed to a player likely becoming a wonderkid, rather than waiting for my scouts to spot them. In previous games Determination was a key one, but I believe that has now changed. I tend to look for youngsters with surprisingly high mental attributes like Anticipation, Vision, Flair and Decisions, as well as good Technique. It doesn't seem to be working very well for me... Has anyone had any success doing this? Or do I need to keep waiting for my scouts to stumble across promising players.... Grateful for your thoughts!

I’ve but a scouting template that starts by weeding out all the unfavorable personalities. Sure you can change and improve them over time but it’s a good first filter. Secondly, I identify a few attributes by position to again narrow the field. I don’t specifically filter for a single attribute to apply to all but certainly key in on a few as I’m looking at what is left from first two filters (work rate, teamwork, passing).

Depends on the tactic and positions. Athletic attributes count for a lot. And more so wrt the position on the field. 

It's the spice of life your tactic can become completely useless Bc of eventually having all the wrong players and we blame the ME!

Personnality filtering first, then I go to mental basic skills:  Determination first but also Bravery (anywhere on the pitch except for some forwards, 10 to 12 is the absolute minimum for me) and teamwork (how high depends on the position) because I found it is one of the most difficult to improve since you can't focus directly on it (like dribbling for example).  Physically, QPN of 12 combined with decent endurance and speed at start so you can focus on technical skills related to roles faster (instead of using the first two years to make the player tough enough to play complete games in heavy calendars...)

In the end though, passed the attributes, it's all about game time and, for me, when I identify a newgen that is really promising, as soon as he hit the eighteen years old mark, he gets at least 10 subs of at least 20 minutes in the season he get to eighteen and the season after that, he starts at least 10 games plus subbing in 10 others.  Of course it's preferable he's able to get decent marks (7.5 rating and more) but I found out that the year he get starts (don't need to be full games), I find that the attributes shot up, no matter what (or close to no matter what)...  A really good prospect often hits his full potential by the age of 21 that way (at least for me) if I keep him or, otherwise, since his attributes go up really fast, when he's wanted, the bids are usually a better...

I find it more depends on what kind of team you want to build and how you want them to play.

For me:

All players
-------------
Determination
Work Rate
Natural Fitness
Stamina
(Bravery)

Attacking players
----------------------
Finishing
Anticipation
Off the ball
Acceleration
Agility
Balance

Support players
--------------------
Passing
Decisions
Off the ball
(positioning)
Vision

Defensive players
----------------------
Tackling
Marking
Anticipation
Concentration
Positioning

Personality and determination definitely but I stlll can’t bring myself to reject that player in my youth intake with 4 potential stars even if he has no ambition and determination of 2. I always think I should reject him but end up giving him a contract.

17 minutes ago, oblongata21 said:

I thought professionalism also counted, along with ambition and determination

In terms of development, all 3 are equally important, yes. All 3 are part of a personality.

il y a 17 minutes, oblongata21 a dit :

I thought professionalism also counted, along with ambition and determination

Professionnalism and ambition are hidden attributes that can be seen only through personnality if you don't use editor.  Yes they are but they are not "clear on the screen"

It's perfectly possible to have a potential wonderkid with a poor personality and rubbish Determination.  Likewise it's also possible to have a player with a great personality who'll only ever be good enough for the lower leagues.

So keep most (if not all) newgens until at least the end of the season.  That way your coaching staff will have a much better picture of their potential (read their reports and check the star ratings) and you can see how players are starting to develop.  Making decisions within just a few days of youth intake day will give you a relatively narrow and often incorrect picture of the youngsters.

I don't think any specific attribute points to newgen succeeding. What I look for is a good CA for his age and good PA perceived by your scouts. Positive personality is preferable but I'll take the neutral ones like blanced also.

3 hours ago, herne79 said:

It's perfectly possible to have a potential wonderkid with a poor personality and rubbish Determination.  Likewise it's also possible to have a player with a great personality who'll only ever be good enough for the lower leagues.

So keep most (if not all) newgens until at least the end of the season.  That way your coaching staff will have a much better picture of their potential (read their reports and check the star ratings) and you can see how players are starting to develop.  Making decisions within just a few days of youth intake day will give you a relatively narrow and often incorrect picture of the youngsters.

Hmm. Interesting. Food for thought. I'll give this a go in future.

4 hours ago, herne79 said:

Good idea this.  The OCD in me doesn't like to flood the youth team with too many players though, so yep i make rash decisions as I figure i'll never know either way

Thanks for all the suggestions. I agree with the point about the importance of picking attributes to match the position. I guess what I was looking for was key attributes to look for when I'm scouting the worlds markets, to point my scouts in the right direction!

Archived