[FM19] On the move again? That'll be Costly

King Costly

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Greece nailed. Well done.

Going back to the youth intake discussion a few days back... I look at the trial match ratings and the PA/CA recommendations. If a player does well for both, he is immediately offered a contract. If he is poor in both, he is immediately released. If he is OK in at least one, I evaluate him at the end of his trial period, then decide whether to sign or release, and this is based on a number of other factors as well as his performance and his PA/CA.

PG16u5V.png

AS PAOK Salonika
First Half of 2022/23 Season Update

Greek Super League

9c8f52f8d48c31faace5390379c7332c.png

With the Qatar World Cup throwing the scheduling into chaos, I have gone with a longer update for the first half of this season. The results on paper look decent but we just haven't played well at all in the League. Despite our signings, goals have been a real issue. Aparicio has had some niggling injury issues and the rest of the team has looked disjointed and bereft of confidence in most games - very frustrating! Despite our struggles, we still sit third in the table with games in hand and it could be much worse - just look at AEK below!

After a slow start, but three victories, we put in a lifeless display against Panionios at home, playing against ten men for an hour. Still, we needed a last minute strike to save our blushes. We took advantage of AEK's sloppy start to pick up a big win against them but again needed a late goal to win at our local rivals Aris. Our first defeat of the season came at home against Olympiacos - a very boring game in which neither team deserved to win. Unfortunately for us, a goal from a set piece means Olympiacos have drawn first blood this season.

We recovered with back-to-back wins against Apollon and Levadiakos but my word did we leave it late! We could so easily have been sat here with six fewer points. Hopefully the last game of a busy October - a 6-1 thrashing of Apollon - is a sign of things to come...

07297380628bd45ddbf96877f99badbd.png

Greek Cup

0997f409b0718d1199fb6f02e63b4eed.png

We've looked far more comfortable in the Cup and are through to the knock-out stages after topping our group. Xanthi were the only team that could have caused us issues and we saw them off first at home before beating lower league clubs Veria (just!) and Ionikos. We'll take on our League rivals Panionios in the next round.

Champions League / Europa League

b2220adf995d5222b36c013f3638d7f1.png

Oh so close to making it into the Champions League group stages for the first time! We were very comfortable against Hungarian side Ferencvaros but then got extremely unlucky and pulled Shakhtar out of the draw for the final play-off stage. They were the toughest team by far and probably the only one in the draw I would have considered us as big underdogs against. We were poor in the away leg, conceding two set piece goals before winning at home. The one goal margin just wasn't enough and to be fair, the scoreline doesn't really show the gulf in quality between the two teams.

The defeat in the final play-off round meant we headed for the Europa League group stages instead. I thought we were quite unlucky again with the draw - Lokomotiv Moscow and Borussia Monchengladbach especially are no mugs. Due to the winter World Cup scheduling, we played a lot of our group stage games early and by taking maximum points from Maccabi Tel-Aviv and Lokomotiv, secured our place in the knock-out stages. We finished off the group with four points from Monchengladbach. If only we could take our European performances into the League!

afc046e20b6b66fa6dfb09e03b93344a.png

#OwnTheTop

PG16u5V.png

AS PAOK Salonika
December/January 2022/23 Update

Greek Super League

638a3bab5926a2bc479a53747ff3474a.png

The winter World Cup in Qatar meant we had a ridiculously busy January and if you had offered me eight wins from nine, I would have definitely taken it. We signed off 2022 with a comfortable win at Xanthi before a couple of average performances against Iraklis and Levadeiakos thankfully led to another six points. Our second defeat of the season followed against Olympiacos - we were poor and a couple of defensive mistakes handed them the game. After the victories against Iraklis and Panathinaikos, I decided to tweak the system to give the wide men more freedom as we just weren't scoring enough goals. It looks to have made an instant impact! Local rivals Aris were the first victims. We then picked up a brilliant win at lacklustre AEK before Panaitolikos were given an almighty tonking!

7535f9e852b1d1983005ecd72203d236.png

Greek Cup

1150c1f0ed83e36b9514e804ac14ebf0.png

A pretty straightforward victory against Panionios in the 5th round and we'll now take on Apollon in the quarters. Another semi-final appearance looks on the cards.

Europa League

dd65739b31dcafd5aafa6c5956a39681.png

No games played in the Europa League since the last update but we've found out our opponent for the first knockout round - Dutch side Heerenveen.

Transfers

I wasn't planning to do much in January. The finances have started to crash a little bit unfortunately due to the increase in our wage budget. The domestic prize money is pretty poor in Greece so we'll be reliant on European competitions to push us forward. We did let Chuba Akpom go to West Brom for £4m - his contract was running out and he was struggling to even get on the bench.

Interest then mounted in our left-back Guillermo Vidal. We rejected an offer from PSG and triggered his contract extension so he had three years left with us. On the last day of the transfer window, Dortmund made our mind up for us. An initial fee of £30m was enough for the board to step in. I understand - that's a phenomenal fee for the club and not bad for a guy we plucked from Uruguay on a free two years ago!

f16a2480e37107fb336098b9896bdf90.png

That final day move did leave us in a bit of a predicament - we had no first-team left-back to take his place. I had scouted a few already as I wanted to sign a young back-up in the summer so we bit the bullet and got one in...

821ae7255674d7dc7b541e2e95ec3626.png

There's no way we could replace Vidal like-for-like but I'm hopeful Martinovic will develop into a solid left-back. He joins from Red Star Belgrade for £1.1m

68c167daeb85c10b2cc3e3ce11e9ee93.png

Bona gives us another left-footed option out wide, arriving from Dinamo Bucharest for £1.5m

4e14171fd0cdaa6f092f3526cffa0d54.png

Blahic looks like he could develop into a very decent player. He cost us just £425k from Ajaccio

#OwnTheTop