Early faves to manage FM20?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, OlivierL said:

Tonbridge Angels or Notts county are my favourites to start a long career (i need to break my record from Aldershot (Fm16 +- 8/9 season).

A serie c/D team from Italy is also possible. 

Serie D 

acr messina cool stadium watched a neat little documentary on them. 

Once the custom databases are out, I'd be tempted to do a save with one of my more local clubs, Basingstoke Town, who were in the National League South until around 3 years ago, but have suffered two relegations since and more than their fair share of off-field turmoil to the point where they're currently actually homeless.  They've effectively been forced from their stadium, The Camrose (which I believe is being sold off for development, or has already been sold off - but is still standing as I drove past it last night!).  They're currently playing their home games at Winchester City's ground, some 18 miles away from Basingstoke, which is a big deal for a non-league club especially!  They were supposed to have  a new ground ready to play in this season, but again for various reasons this hasn't panned out.

I think that would be a challenging and interesting save, but with them currently being in tier 8 of English football would need a custom database.

Other teams I'd be tempted to manage would be, for various reasons, Kilmarnock, Eastleigh and (for obvious reasons) Southampton.

Another one I've long fancied trying but never actually done, which again would require a custom database, is Fort William.

Edited by kevhamster

5 часов назад, ralala сказал:

Are there any leagues or nations that are "new" in FM2020? I really need something different to get started this year, having done all sorts of journeyman and pentagrinds previously.

So you played in every country which exist in FM? :eek:

17 hours ago, Novem9 said:

So you played in every country which exist in FM? :eek:

I've been playing since '93, "A lot of them" would be the correct answer, I won't pretend to have seen it all. But to make sure I haven't been there before, a new league/nation addition to Fm2020 would guarantee that ;) 

Would really like if they added a new country to Africa, as there is only South Africa playable.

2 hours ago, ralala said:

Would really like if they added a new country to Africa, as there is only South Africa playable.

Same here. I don't really like using created databases as I've had issues with longevity of them but if SI included another African league I'd be buzzing

Does Manchester United qualify for fallen giant nowadays? Would be interesting re-structuring finance and squad for a new period of glory.

Normally I would have started a youth only game with Ajax Amsterdam, however last season they were taken over by a tycoon every save I tried what is quite unrealistic for Ajax. It really killed the reality of the game.

26 minutes ago, Crownejewell said:

Does Manchester United qualify for fallen giant nowadays? Would be interesting re-structuring finance and squad for a new period of glory.

Normally I would have started a youth only game with Ajax Amsterdam, however last season they were taken over by a tycoon every save I tried what is quite unrealistic for Ajax. It really killed the reality of the game.

I remember that was a bug that got taken out quite soon after release?

1 minute ago, JonasAjax said:

I tried a couple of saves even after some updates and the issue was coming back each save game :-( , what is annoying as you put a lot of effort and time in the set-up of the save like squad management, tactics, pre-season and training settings.

During the years I experienced the best way to have a realistic start is starting with a UK save, as that is the best tested environment to start with.

One save idea I would like to do, but I know I'll never have the patience for it, is transforming a whole smaller country's standing in the world by taking a team (or teams) to multiple European titles, thus boosting the co-efficent so that the league becomes the best league in Europe (or wherever). 

Excitement ramping up after last night's reveal.

Man Utd will be first save to explore the new game. Darlington will follow at some point. In the EFL I had great saves last year with Barnsley, Colchester and Mansfield Town, so will take a good look at Divisions 1 & 2 for a similar experience this year. Local side Brentford will also feature.

Beta: If we have the Third Bundesliga from the beginning, I think I'll begin with Lautern as they deserve to be in the top league. Also another short (three seasons at most) MLS game. 

Release: Wolfsburg longterm. Somehow I only started after Winter this year and it bugs me! Plus, I already mapped out the real life tactic! I'll also be on-off with Freiburg. I want to see if I can replicate their amazing real life start. 

Winter: Probably Union Berlin. They are underdogs but have have a pretty interesting squad. Also Gogia, my FM19 hidden hero! Maybe, maybe also Paderborn for the same reason: *heavy* underdogs but offensively minded — sounds fun! 

12 hours ago, Crownejewell said:

Without a doubt, which is why they'll be my 1st save on 2020. Them being my English team another reason. I've felt bad going Utd when they were the dominant force as it was too easy but hopefully the Utd researcher has rated the players accurately. If he has then it should be a challenge to begin with, with Liverpool and Man City being dominant. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

A lot of potential clubs, and it will most likely end up totally different.

I always start with a larger club to get the feel of the game, and this year it might be Man U. Otherwise I most likely will be doing a Dafuge, my team AGF (Denmark), Chievo or German team. I always tend to end up in Eastern Europe as well.

Or maybe a real career save for once.

My first career will be in Metalist 1925 - my local team, which's playing in second tier of Ukrainian football.

Then I plan some Asian longplays: good nations to play this year are: Bhutan (fully edited squads with histories, etc), Laos, Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan after some editing. 

Also maybe some European saves as Faroe Islands (wanna play for B36), Luxembourg (Dudelange), Estonia (Flora), Moldova (Zimbru), Armenia (Pyunik), Georgia (Lokomotivi Tb.), Azerbaijan (Neftci)

And some plans for low league saves: Cottbus in Germany or Racing Santander in Spain, for example

19 hours ago, JonasAjax said:

I started a game as Ajax a month ago, and there were billionaires sniffing around the club looking to buy and replace me with other managers even before the first transfer window closed.

I think I've settled on my plan now.

Gunna start with Motherwell in the BETA (which I've just booked two days off work for, missus gunnae go mental when she figures that one out :brock:) as like their youth set up. 

Think after 10 years or so I'm gunna move to Rangers (my team) and try for European glory and domestic dominance to get myself in the Scottish Hall of Fame before moving abroad for a wee bit and then eventually return to Scottish lower leagues and pull some club up to the SPFL or restore any historical team back to the top if they've fallen within my game.

Gunna try for a one save game life again like I did in FM18, some 44 seasons I think I got.

Also decided that when I go to Rangers I'm gunna play Bielsa Press and try to sign players with characteristics to suit it rather than a good overall player and see if that makes a difference. 

I'm still not sure, no top flight saves take my fancy apart from Bayern, so I'll probably start with them as I did with FM19

A mate has challenged me to get Walsall into the top flight so I might give that a good go

I really love the idea of a LLM journeyman save but I just never get the time to run more than one save a year 

3 hours ago, swansongs said:

Been watching more Dutch football recently so might have a go with an Eerste Divisie team with a nice kit as a long term save.

Might wanna help Almere City and TOP Oss reach the Eredivisie for the first time :brock:

I have been struggling for save ideas with FM19 for months and ended up starting and stopping saves regularly.  I'm currently tinkering with Blackpool now that there's been a change in ownership so will likely start the FM20 beta with them.  I like the squad for League One. 

If I go non-league it's Chester or Bath City (hoof ball with big Brunt up front).   Other ideas are Sporting Lisbon or a fallen giant from Serie B or Bundesliga 3. 

13 hours ago, swansongs said:

Been watching more Dutch football recently so might have a go with an Eerste Divisie team with a nice kit as a long term save.

Is there any relegation from the Dutch second tier in game (whether it’s the first or second season)?

Do we think that the new club vision will have any major impact on the saves you’re already thinking of? 

Will it be impactful on the way you normally play the game?

I’ve approached the game in the same fashion the past few years and played the same style now I’m thinking I may need to start adapting and changing depending on these visions at the clubs I go to in game.

Its interesting how many of you brits do not play outside Britain. 

Anyway, I am considering trying out Torpedo Minsk in the Belarus Premier League. Looking at the IRL table, Torpedo is at the absolute bottom with only 6 points in 25 games. Should be possible to do a bit better in FM. 

Also, their stadium looks terrible and I love it.

Tarpeda_(Torpedo)_stadium_in_Minsk_2.jpg

Edited by Kristianmehl

3 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

ADO Den Haag surely?

Mixed feelings about that relationship these days. People fondly remember the big groups coming over to support us during our lower league days, but it's tainted by the later actions of the "sellouts" and how van Zweden would make money selling tickets back home while we were in the PL and already selling out every week. 

1 hour ago, swansongs said:

Mixed feelings about that relationship these days. People fondly remember the big groups coming over to support us during our lower league days, but it's tainted by the later actions of the "sellouts" and how van Zweden would make money selling tickets back home while we were in the PL and already selling out every week. 

Can't argue with any of that, although i've always found their fans to be great when they've come over for games, I know a lot of people who have been over there too and been put up for the night by their fans.

I don't suppose it fits your lower league Dutch idea when they're in the top flight anyway

2 hours ago, Kristianmehl said:

Its interesting how many of you brits do not play outside Britain. 

Anyway, I am considering trying out Torpedo Minsk in the Belarus Premier League. Looking at the IRL table, Torpedo is at the absolute bottom with only 6 points in 25 games. Should be possible to do a bit better in FM. 

Also, their stadium looks terrible and I love it.

Tarpeda_(Torpedo)_stadium_in_Minsk_2.jpg

I'm in England, and did play in Vanuatu using a custom DB.  That was a blast!

I'm also trying to decide where to play when FM20 comes around, and may well make it outside of Britain to change things up a bit.

I did once play in the MLS, taking over Seattle with 3 games to go in the season.  They sacked me despite winning two of those games!  I think that was in FM15.

I will play with Cambuur Leeuwarden in the Beta, because that's what I usually do. It's the club from my hometown and where I've got a season ticket. 

But my long-term save will be a youth only with an mediocre Irish team: Cabinteely FC. Can't wait to start with that challenge! 

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

Can't argue with any of that, although i've always found their fans to be great when they've come over for games, I know a lot of people who have been over there too and been put up for the night by their fans.

I don't suppose it fits your lower league Dutch idea when they're in the top flight anyway

Their home kit is horrible as well :p

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I'm in England, and did play in Vanuatu using a custom DB.  That was a blast!

I'm also trying to decide where to play when FM20 comes around, and may well make it outside of Britain to change things up a bit.

I did once play in the MLS, taking over Seattle with 3 games to go in the season.  They sacked me despite winning two of those games!  I think that was in FM15.

Don't mind me, I'm generalizing a bit ;)
MLS sounds interesting though. I am bit concerned with the lack of transfers in the way we go about it in Europe. Any ideas as to how to get info on the league/transfer/draft system in the US? 

25 minutes ago, Kristianmehl said:

MLS sounds interesting though. I am bit concerned with the lack of transfers in the way we go about it in Europe. Any ideas as to how to get info on the league/transfer/draft system in the US? 

No, sorry. My MLS tenure wasn't long enough to work that one out lol.  I believe there are still transfers in the traditional sense though, on top of the draft that is commonplace in US sports. 

36 minutes ago, Kristianmehl said:

Great guide here from Uncle Sam

https://youtu.be/A7QDRv9AWxA

he does some great extra USA content as well

18 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Anyway, I am considering trying out Torpedo Minsk in the Belarus Premier League

I can highly recommend that! I'm really enjoying my FM19 save with Lokomotiv Gomel in Belarus atm. The Belarusian Prem has got some interesting rules about the amount of foreigners, and also it's a nice challenge to stop BATE Borisov winning title after title.

Got this narrowed down to a few choices

1 - A Stirling or Sunderland save. PROS - I support these sides in real life, so know all the players etc. CONS - I do at least one of them every year, so would rather do something fresh

2 - Notts County - PROS - Good challenge taking them from where they are now to European glory . CONS - I'm kinda bored with English club saves. 

3 - Celtic - PROS - I rarely go big teams in any league, but I had an idea about trying to emulate the 1967 side by winning the UCL with all homegrown players. CONS - The league side of it will be really dull

4 - European Journeyman - PROS - Always loved the idea of this, and gives me the chance to manage in some countries for the first time. CONS - I've tried it before but never had the patience for it, so don't want to waste a save this year

5. Hall of Fame challenge - PROS - Never attempted this before, so could be fun. CONS - I'm rubbish at the game, so the chances of me achieving this will be almost nil :lol:

6. South America - PROS - I started a quick Colombiian club save on FM17 recently to pass the time before FM20, and it's been very enjoyable. Would love to manage in Argentina. CONS - Not really any apart from knowing very little about the teams, leagues or players. Maybe that's a good thing though!

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Got this narrowed down to a few choices

1 - A Stirling or Sunderland save. PROS - I support these sides in real life, so know all the players etc. CONS - I do at least one of them every year, so would rather do something fresh

2 - Notts County - PROS - Good challenge taking them from where they are now to European glory . CONS - I'm kinda bored with English club saves. 

3 - Celtic - PROS - I rarely go big teams in any league, but I had an idea about trying to emulate the 1967 side by winning the UCL with all homegrown players. CONS - The league side of it will be really dull

4 - European Journeyman - PROS - Always loved the idea of this, and gives me the chance to manage in some countries for the first time. CONS - I've tried it before but never had the patience for it, so don't want to waste a save this year

5. Hall of Fame challenge - PROS - Never attempted this before, so could be fun. CONS - I'm rubbish at the game, so the chances of me achieving this will be almost nil :lol:

6. South America - PROS - I started a quick Colombiian club save on FM17 recently to pass the time before FM20, and it's been very enjoyable. Would love to manage in Argentina. CONS - Not really any apart from knowing very little about the teams, leagues or players. Maybe that's a good thing though!

While attempting 3 you would practically be certain of achieving 5 with regards to the Scottish Hall of Fame.

I remember on FM17 during my one save/40 odd seasons I was second in the Scottish Hall of Fame and broken top 20 off all time worldwide also. This did include 4 years over in Italy with Sampdoria though where I won 2 Europa Leagues which I think helped with cracking top 20.

I have a few ideas for this year.

At the Beta stage, which I also hope will continue into a long term save of domestic domination after overthrowing the respective giants in each country I’m looking at Monaco and AZ.

Trying to build back Monaco to where they were a couple of years ago and overtaking PSG for good really appeals to me, especially after the Henry shambles last year.

AZ have some really highly rated young players (Bodau, Stengs, Schendelaar, Wijndal) who if you can hold on to would be great to build a side around.  I feel like top 3 is achievable first year with the long term goal being to eventually overtake Ajax and PSV.  I’m actually surprised no one else has mentioned AZ.

Like a few in here I’m also planning on a LLM save with a local club.  Depending on how far I want to drop down I’m either going to take over Macclesfield and continue the work big Sol started or go Buxton Town (Dafuge style).

Every year I also head up North to Scotland... FM17 - Hibs, 18 - Dundee U and 19 - Inverness.  After reading some precious comments I’ve narrowed it down to Motherwell, Ayr or Falkirk, again depending on how far I want to drop down the leagues.

Will start off as Peterborough United.  A young squad with huge potential.

GK - Pym (24)
RB - Mason (22)
CB - Kent (23)
CB - Beevers (29)
LB - Butler (25)
RW - Maddison (26)
CM - Reed (22)
CM - Boyd (34)
LW - Dembele (23)
ST - Eisa (25)
ST - Toney (23)

----------------------------------------
GK - O'Malley (25)
RB - Thompson (28)
CB - Bennett (28)
CB - Knight (22) Also plays CDM/CM
LB - Blake-Tracy
RW - Tasdemir (19)
CM - Woodyard (26)
CM - Burrows (17)
LW - Ward (24)
ST - Kanu (19)
ST - Jones (16)

Will be fun to see if I can replicate the teams performances in real life, in the game.

The attacking quartet of Eisa, Toney, Maddison and Dembele will score goals in League 1,  to hopefully  win promotion to the Championship + Premier League but only if the owners don't sell are best players in FM. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will also be interesting to see what the 'club vision' is, as the owners have said in real life;

“We’ve set the Academy staff a goal for three graduates every year to be good enough to be taken on at first-team level by the year 2024. It is a demand if you like. If they are not producing three players every season then they are not doing their job.”

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/peterborough-united-s-five-year-plan-to-develop-more-homegrown-players-for-the-first-team-1-8854152

Also the chairman Darragh Macanthony has set objectives for this season;

* Promotion and the League One title.
* Fantastic football for our fanbase.
* Excellent home record.
* Complete the purchase of the stadium.
* Smash 5.5k season tickets sales when they go on sale again in February/March.
* 120 goals scored & 25 clean sheets.
* Golden Boot winner.
* Three players in EFL team of year.
* Manager of year trophy.
* Checkatrade Trophy.
* See another youth graduate play for England Under 20s.
* Two strikers to score 20 league goals each.
* Continue growth of new fans through fantastic schools initiative.
* See our under 18s go deep in the FA Youth Cup.
* Turn down a £5 million plus bid for two of our players in January window (it would mean we are having a fantastic season).
* Smash all our commercial targets.
* Average 8k home gates.
* Go through January without signing a player (also means squad doing its job).
* More facilities at our training ground.
* Take all players/staff away to Vegas or the Bahamas to celebrate a successful season.
* Pay for all non-football staff to have holidays with their families at the end of season for doing their bit.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/peterborough-united-chairman-s-wish-list-is-a-sight-to-behold-but-the-rewards-for-success-are-most-attractive-1-9018513

Edited by RKM

On 15/08/2019 at 14:07, Brother Ben said:

Stalybridge as always, holiday a year until they are promoted to Conference North then take over.

Once expansion databases are available and stable, depending on how much i'm enjoying I will start again with tier 7 & 8 added so that I can start with Stalybridge at the beginning of the game.  

Either way i'll have a strict policy of only signing local players and those released by teams in the locality to keep it more realistic

Hey I've just seen this! I'm from Stalybridge and supported them since 1990.  Would love to know your affinity to them!

49 minutes ago, CarlosEsDios said:

Hey I've just seen this! I'm from Stalybridge and supported them since 1990.  Would love to know your affinity to them!

The original Premier Manager in the early 90's, the game made you start in the conference and work your way up, never looked back.  Always keep an eye out for results and always start my first serious save on any CM/FM with them although that does involve a years holiday and possibly a good few reloads for them to get promoted into a playable league.  I'm a Swansea fan myself but like I say Stalybridge are definitely my FM team. 

Even bought myself a Stalybridge drinks coaster a good few years back online (£4 well spent :)) which has pride of place on my computer desk so I can keep the coffee flowing for those long FM sessions

Current save isn't going like I would have hoped (relegated in my second season) but I'm sticking at it and hopefully I can get the team back into Conference North before FM 20 drops.  Still have Neil Kengni playing for me too, in fact he's just been given a testimonial 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.dafa01fd12d06084d3d6d074f36052ba.jpg

Looking forward to getting back into the fold in FM20, I think they've got a really good team this year, at least on paper

Edited by Brother Ben

On 25/10/2019 at 19:44, Dagenham_Dave said:

These are my go to for 20 I've decided. Going to start at a 1 star rep team in either Portugal or Turkey and journeyman it around Europe in the hopes of topping the hall of fame. Also I;m with you on your other comment about English saves, get bored of playing as English clubs nowadays, maybe it's my age, I dunno, but as part of my journeyman I want to manage in Scotland, as Motherwell are a club I follow in real life.

Hmm well as it's the group stages in Europe at the moment, there are some times which I have genuinely never heard of (in the Europa league) so it might be interesting to take one of those on.  I am always interested in the history of clubs, especially those from 2nd tier countries.