Early faves to manage FM20?

So with Miles tweet earlier that news of FM20 would be coming end of the month I thought now may be an acceptable time to bring this up...

What's everyone thinking to who they will manage this time around?

Me, I'm thinking I might go Kilmarnock and see if I can take what Stevie Clarke did for them and replicate it/better it.

They've kept their squad from last year on the whole with the exemption of Jordan Jones who we knew was leaving since January when he signed a pre-contract with Rangers. Hoping that with the Scottish window still being open that the likes of Eamon Brophy, Greg Taylor & Stephen O'Donnell stay as I think it will be a quality save to start with.

What's everyone else saying? Any transfer activity this summer that's made you think "Oh I fancy going them" or like me, any manager that's left that you think "Oh lets see what I would do after their rein"?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Woolly said:

Chelsea could be an interesting save this season what with the transfer ban....

I thought that as well. Other big sides who seems interesting this edition

1 Atletico Madrid

2 Juventus

3 Celtic

4 Sheffield Wednesday

5 Flamengo

I'm so engrossed in my current FM19 save with Lyn that I'm not even sure I'll play FM20. If I do, though, I've got two saves in mind.

1. A short-term save in the Bundesliga, probably with Bayer Leverkusen. I managed Fiorentina in Serie A for my first FM19 career, and I now want to go through the other major leagues outside of the Premier League.

2. Leyton Orient, for several reasons: 1) They're now my most local EFL team again. 2) It would be a tribute of sorts to the late Justin Edinburgh, who - amongst other things - was a key part of my promotion-winning Walsall team on CM00/01. 3) They've signed Lee Angol, who scored 64 goals in three seasons for my Shrewsbury team during my second FM19 career.

59 minutes ago, Woolly said:

I thought this straight away as well but the silly money when you can get to invest puts me off. Don’t like managing in England anymore.

4 hours ago, Snorks said:

I'll do my usual - 'Pick a Team For Me' and start my career afresh.

A very bold statement that football is in the lap of the gods anyway. I salute you.

I have a soft spot for Sheffield United. And the idea of getting my head round centre backs who overlap is challenging.

I've never managed Barca. I might revolutionise them. There are a few players there who seem over-rated to me, and the issue of how to replace Messi in a couple of years time would be interesting.

i think i might finally create my fantasy USA set up.I've been planning it for months, but every time i get serious about making it, I realize FM20 is almost here. If I never get around to it, then I'll probably take either Stuttgart or Fulham, both teams I'm affectionate for, and get them back in the top flight

Every year for the past 8 or 9 years iv started with Levski Sofia so probably start with them again but definitely revisit Hadjuk Split and Kilmarnock, by far my most interesting and exciting saves on fm19. Metallimuse, Eamon Brophy on fm19 up front by himself was top goal scorer for three seasons in a row so if you do go Killi keep hold of him. 

I'm moving to Scotland so I'll do a save there to immerse myself in the Scottish football. Only once played in Scotland before, did a Dundee Utd game in FM14 I believe... Don't know who I'll go for this time round.

2 hours ago, SpikeHughes said:

Every year for the past 8 or 9 years iv started with Levski Sofia so probably start with them again but definitely revisit Hadjuk Split and Kilmarnock, by far my most interesting and exciting saves on fm19. Metallimuse, Eamon Brophy on fm19 up front by himself was top goal scorer for three seasons in a row so if you do go Killi keep hold of him. 

Oh Eamon's been getting snapped up for my Scottish saves the past 3 years I'm well versed in his potential and ability. 

I'm also quite fond of the fella Innes Cameron.

I've basically pillaged Kilmarnock for talent past 3/4 years when managing in Scotland but with how well Stevie Clarke did with them I think I'm gunna have a go with them now he's left.

I fancied going them FM19 but thought I'd see how FM database played out with Clarke still there. I decided I didn't want to go Aberdeen, Rangers, Celtic or Killie as wanted to see how the database would play out and wanted to test myself against those managers. Ended up going Hearts as not much of a fan of Craig Levein (except the banter).

This year though, Killie gunna be the team for me to try and keep up the good work wee Stevie did.

20 hours ago, metallimuse said:

I thought this straight away as well but the silly money when you can get to invest puts me off. Don’t like managing in England anymore.

I've found the big six can get boring, but this year I decided to start with Non-league and work up. Which I'm finding more satisfying than expected. 

It took me some time to settle on a team for this edition of the game. I found myself unable to enjoy managing a club in the top tier of any nation, even though in the previous versions of the game I've seldom managed outside of top-flight football. My friend sent me the Scottish pyramid database with the junior leagues that he downloaded from here and I've been having fun with a side from the south-side of Glasgow called St Anthony's. I like the idea of beginning in a realistic setting and earning the right to manage my beloved Celtic FC or the Scottish national team. With that in mind I think I will be continuing to manage in the junior game when FM20 arrives.

I like the history of junior football in Scotland and it's a shame that we no longer see it being supported to the same degree it was in the past. A lot of great players started out at junior level and went on to play for top clubs in Scotland and England. Stevie Chalmers, the scorer of the winning goal in the 1967 European Cup Final, started out at my local team Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. 76,000 fans watched the Junior Cup Final in 1951. A golden era for the junior game. 

While I cannot take a team from the junior game into the feeder leagues for the SPFL structure, four junior clubs can qualify for the Scottish Cup and that could set up a potential meeting with one of the major clubs in the country. I would also love to see players come through at junior level and make it in the top flight. It's not been happening too often in my current save in FM19, though one or two have risen as far as SPFL1. 

13 minutes ago, Tikka Mezzala said:

It took me some time to settle on a team for this edition of the game. I found myself unable to enjoy managing a club in the top tier of any nation, even though in the previous versions of the game I've seldom managed outside of top-flight football. My friend sent me the Scottish pyramid database with the junior leagues that he downloaded from here and I've been having fun with a side from the south-side of Glasgow called St Anthony's. I like the idea of beginning in a realistic setting and earning the right to manage my beloved Celtic FC or the Scottish national team. With that in mind I think I will be continuing to manage in the junior game when FM20 arrives.

I like the history of junior football in Scotland and it's a shame that we no longer see it being supported to the same degree it was in the past. A lot of great players started out at junior level and went on to play for top clubs in Scotland and England. Stevie Chalmers, the scorer of the winning goal in the 1967 European Cup Final, started out at my local team Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. 76,000 fans watched the Junior Cup Final in 1951. A golden era for the junior game. 

While I cannot take a team from the junior game into the feeder leagues for the SPFL structure, four junior clubs can qualify for the Scottish Cup and that could set up a potential meeting with one of the major clubs in the country. I would also love to see players come through at junior level and make it in the top flight. It's not been happening too often in my current save in FM19, though one or two have risen as far as SPFL1. 

I had plenty of fun with the pyramid managing Vale of Clyde taking them up to the SJLP but I was under the impression it was a fantasy database with promotion to SPFL possible.

5 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

I had plenty of fun with the pyramid managing Vale of Clyde taking them up to the SJLP but I was under the impression it was a fantasy database with promotion to SPFL possible.

I am pretty sure I am playing them in a game or two :p.

My friend said that there is a database that allows for promotion all the way up to the professional leagues. Not sure if it is somewhere on this site. I am happy enough keeping to junior football for the time being. At least until I win the Junior Cup and get a crack at the Scottish Cup. I really enjoy the competitiveness of the leagues as anyone can put together a squad capable of challenging for promotion and the situation changes year on year. 

Hamburg are a nice challenge I am currently doing on FM19. Get them back to the top in Germany (or close to it). The Chelsea youth challenge is looking interesting this year. A few injuries to key players and you have a huge job on your hands there. I also had a wonderful game where I started unemployed and roleplayed a former international footballer to see where I ended up. Tried to develop players from my country and region, did press conferences and play interactions as I pretended he would. I might do this again. 

Edit. Huddersfield will actually be enjoyable again this season. It will be nice to manage my team without them being crap.

Edited by sporadicsmiles

19 hours ago, scass said:

A very bold statement that football is in the lap of the gods anyway. I salute you.

lol - I enjoy the challenge. Very rarely do  I get a team that I know much about, walking into a new dressing room and moulding the rag-tag bunch f players that works I find a tactical challenge.

Log-term though, I am of course aiming for the 'top'.  Winning CL with Man Utd is the ultimate although I have yet to achieve it.

23 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I’m probably starting with either dafuge’s challenge or the youth academy challenge. The ultimate fm challenge may be step too far.

I'm having a blast with the youth academy challenge this year. Probably the most fun I've had with a save on FM (and that says a lot!). Hoping to win CL before the release of FM2020.

50 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I'm having a blast with the youth academy challenge this year. Probably the most fun I've had with a save on FM (and that says a lot!). Hoping to win CL before the release of FM2020.

I gave upon the youth academy challenge, then finished dafuge’s challenge and have start the youth academy challenge once again. Also hoping to finish it before FM20 comes out.

Edited by Hovis Dexter
Spelling correction

Stalybridge as always, holiday a year until they are promoted to Conference North then take over.

Once expansion databases are available and stable, depending on how much i'm enjoying I will start again with tier 7 & 8 added so that I can start with Stalybridge at the beginning of the game.  

Either way i'll have a strict policy of only signing local players and those released by teams in the locality to keep it more realistic

1 hour ago, mrjohnkennedy said:

Celtic and Blackpool

I'm currently 6 seasons into my Celtic career on 19 and sit with an unbeaten 114 game record. 

The plan is to hold out and win the CL with them but its hard when you lose 3-4 players each season and have to replace them with better! 

Like with every single FM, my first save is the team of my heart, FC Porto. From there, my soft spots are either academy challenges, fallen giants and usually the big teams that are outside their country's capital (as it's the case with Porto and Barcelona). Sometimes starting with a really low level team is also something I find fun.

I'm also intrigued by Sevilla. Their squad changed a lot, invested more than 140 million euros in new signings, have very interesting new players like Oliver Torres and Rony Lopes (and ofcourse Ocampos, with whom I had tremendous success in previous FMs). I'll have a save with Sevilla as well, for sure.

Edited by 99

I usually play in England, but enjoy Italy a lot due to registration setup and good balance of teams below Juve. 

England

chelsea-turbulent season potentially. Might be fun to sim until Christmas and take that job

west ham-another interesting summer with steady improvement. London, bug stadium and fan base

crystal palace-old roster, needs to be turned over

everton-good candidate to break up top 6 long-term. New stadium coming soon (Marco Silva overdue to get sacked)

newcastle-reestablish then as consistent threat

West brom-good setup, get them back up for good.

leeds-you know narrative here

sunderland-fix that mess

italy

roma-get them to potential with monchi moves on

milan-fix that mess

Usually I dont play saves in big teams but I will play for Man Utd, because they sell players and didnt buy new + they dont play in ChL in first season, so this is save for 2 seasons at least :brock:
'It will revolution project' as it said in FM interview :lol:

Also I think to play in Bolton, Malaga or Kaiserslautern. And of course few seasons for Spartak Moscow

Edited by Novem9

I'll probably wait until the FM20 version of the English L19 custom database is released and play as Keymer & Hassocks, whatever level they start at.  The players at that level are all fake, but the logo pleases me greatly.

2082085538.png.b5229674d016850a9350596601d75df8.png

I'll be continuing my idea of enabling all of my favorite leagues, start at the earliest possible date (December 2018 in this case) and see what the dice has rolled by the time I hit FM20's release date in-game. That'll probably mean a start in the Hong Kong league, the Irish First Division or the Scottish League 2. Definitely looking forward to playing with the updated database.

On 13/08/2019 at 14:24, Woolly said:

That would do the opposite for me since transfers are one of my favourite parts of the game.

For FM20, I want to manage in the second or third tier of France (maybe Paris FC) and switch the game language to French to make it feel more authentic. Eventually, I'd like to create a legitimate rivalry between PSG and Paris FC.

On to the new FM20, (the 3rd decade of the 21st century), I would manage Bristol City and Norwich (possibly Bristol Rovers) in England.

France: Rennes in Ligue 1 along with Marseille (I plan to bring Marseille glory again) and in Ligue 2 Caen and Le Havre.

Spain: Girona and Sevilla in La Liga and Malaga and Zaragoza in the second division.

I also plan to take the clubs in other nations to Glory.

For FM 20 i will obviously start with Marseille in France

Challenge will be interesting, as the squad is aiming European football for the next season, but the team you inherit will not have money at all, a lot of ageing players on big wages, so challenge will be interesting

On a side note even if i don't like them much IRL, Nice coud be a great journey as well, the club had just been taken over by british billionaire Jim Ratcliff, big money is going to be invested for the end of this transfer window, and the new boss has great ambition for the team and want to be a a major team in France

I will do my annual Leeds save as well, but once you reach PL football, i always find it too easy to create a dominant squad with the money you have

On 13/08/2019 at 19:24, Woolly said:

Surely this makes no difference, the ban is the summer window that’s just closed and the January window in 2020, so really you’ll be able to make transfers at the end of season 1.