Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
zupay

effective player development

Hi everybody,

I am quite new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if my problem was already discussed a couple of times, however most topics I found so far were focusing on FM19, but not on the Touch version. 

My current problem is the unsatisfying development of my players (within 1-2 seasons). In general, the development of the player's attributes is quite slow. Even young players (age<18), who get regular match experience develop quite slowly and in addition sometimes even lose key skills like determination. Other players (age<24) have decreasing key-attributes, even though these skills are supposed to increased due to the  individual training (role training). 

Atm, I am in charge for the Team training (not the assistant) and I change the focus (set pieces, offense, defense, ...) every week. This works until some players start zu complain about the training. Even if I change the focus, more and more players are unsatisfied. At that point I have to apply my assistant as head couch, then most of the players are happy again within 1 or two days. So how are you usually handling the training responsibility. Do you leave it up to your assistant or are you choosing the training focus yourselves? Or a mixture as I do?

Regarding the individual training, I let every player focus on his specific role/position with automatic intensity. So the individual training is active almost for all players.

Concerning the mentoring groups, I have two groups each for the defense, def. midfield, off. midfield and strikers, and one group for the goalkeepers. I try to mix players of different ages and hope for the young players to learn from the more experienced players.

Sometimes I receive a message from my assistant, saying that a players development is negatively affected by the bad character of the team (sorry as I am playing the German version, I do not know the exact wording in the English version). Have you experienced that as well or do you have any clue why this is? I checked the overall attributes of my team, its only the courage, which below the leagues average, so I do not really know where the negative impact of the team character comes from. Also the  character of the players is more or less "professional". 

So from your experience, what is a good way to create effective mentoring groups?

Maybe I am too impatient and it just takes a while until a significant improvement of the players's skills becomes visible but anyway I hope you can give me some advises!  

Thanks a lot for your support.

First off, welcome to the forum!

On previous versions, I used to take charge of training personally and usually just keep it on Balanced with workload set to "high" or "normal" depending on fixture workload. However, there's no option to change overall workload in FMT19 and with players constantly moaning, I've left it to my assistant ever since. He always seems to do a decent job. I'd suggest you try the same in case you're having trouble keeping your players happy. I also have him take care of individual training unless there is a specific player I want to take charge of.

How big are your mentoring groups? I'd recommend not more than 3-4 players in each group with at least one player exerting significant influence over a couple of younger players. It's worked well for me so far. The key just seems to be finding the right "mentors" if you will and this is indicated by the extent of the influence they exert on the group. You might also have to keep in mind that depending on your squad this might not work right away as you don't have these capable mentors and will need to bring them in.

With respect to "bad character" of the team, are the players affected in your reserve squad? Your reserve squad probably has players with poor determination and less desirable personalities.

Also, what level are you playing at? The impact of your training facilities will also be pretty significant on your players.

At the moment, I'm currently playing as Rangers and thanks to a spate of injuries I had to promote an 18 year old winger to the first team (he was rated as good player for the league below). I gave him 2-3 starts and a few sub appearances and he is now rated as a good player for my level and he's showing very promising signs of improvement. He's still quite raw so I'll look to loan him out next season to a club in the same division so he can get first team action and improve a lot more. I think sometimes it just requires a little bit of patience, not every youngster will start tearing up other teams right away.

Hi rafael,

thanks a lot for the insights into your training concept. According to your comment I will probably leave the training more up to my assistant, except the fitness training as he has a low value for that attribute. 

How big are your mentoring groups?

In the beginning I had bigger groups like 5-6 players, but I reduce the number of player to 3-4 since I had the impression that it works better. So this is in agreement with your recommendation. Maybe I should have closer look on which have the potential as "right mentor". 

With respect to "bad character" of the team, are the players affected in your reserve squad? Your reserve squad probably has players with poor determination and less desirable personalities.

Interestingly, the reserve team seems to have a "good character". For players in the reserve squad (youth team) I usually get the message that the character of the team has got a positive influence on the player's development. But the first squad in deed has not the best determination. Moreover, there are some egoistic players, that possibly have a negative influence.

Also, what level are you playing at? The impact of your training facilities will also be pretty significant on your players.

The facility are at a high level. 

I think sometimes it just requires a little bit of patience, not every youngster will start tearing up other teams right away.

Thats true. Even a little Messi needs some time :)

Thanks again for your help!

Hey! I am in total agreement with the issues you've raised. Especially the development part. Players DON'T develop. I've noticed stats remain the same for 2 - 3 seasons. That isn't normal. Even when you see a lot of green arrows attached to a players name it doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

I like developing young talents and grooming them into the first team. That's just how I've always played. But the game is rigged to favour the already good stars which shouldn't be so. I would struggle to develop a 3.5 to 4 potential rated player in a span of 3 years, but the moment I buy a big name to replace the player, boom all is well and good. And it's very unfair. If the in-house team says the development is there in this game then it is agonisingly slow. Will I have to consistently play a player for 10 years before I start seeing lots of growth? I don't think it should be so, as it doesn't reflect what's real. 

I've also noticed how unbalanced this game can be sometimes - opposition players would suddenly have superhuman abilities and just blow past your defenders like they aren't there. All of your players would be painfully slow and react sluggishly. I would tweak and tweak but it just seem like my players are "programmed" to act a certain way with a particular opponent(s) 

Also, transitional play is hit and miss. Mostly miss. I can't recreate an FM tactic even with the right players. Players who are suppose to run into space don't do that(even when the "PI" and duty calls for it)! The pass masters don't pass into space (that's all my tactic is about - exploiting spaces). I mean, goals I would normally see on FM aren't recreated here.

I took time to relearn FMT and player movements and I'm convinced they don't behave as expected. If they do then either my game is broken or FMT is messed up in some way. It is frustrating to watch my teams play. Especially when I want them to play a certain way. I don't even know what to do with training, it just feels pointless as you're not really in control. The players will still act independently. 

Deep sigh...