Advice: Why not start a new save at the same club?

It's 2031, and I've managed in India, England and France, and was finally offered a job to coach at Flamengo (my favorite club in Brazil, where I was planning to retire at the end of this save). As I see lots of cartoon regen players (which turn me off), I asked myself: should I keep playing this save in 2031 Flamengo, or should I start a brand new save in 2018/9 Flamengo? What are the pros/cons of just starting a new save?!...

Your advice (subjective it may be) is appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

If you don't like the way regens look, then do what you really want. But you're also preparing yourself to give up around the same period of time. If this cycle of starting a save then dropping it when you start seeing too many regens to your liking doesn't bother you, what can anyone say?

To me it's the opposite: finding the next gem is more exciting than working with real players and staff that I already know about specifically because they're randomly generated and unknown to me; to the point I would gladly play an empty database with no real person in it, only freshly generated players just to make it more interesting. Even if I agree with the opinion that regens have been ranging from somewhat passable looking to outright butt-ugly since around FM16 or thereabouts. SI, stop trying to fix what was not broke! You can go back to the old regen faces, it's not always bad to backtrack.

840494111_FM08-18regens.thumb.jpg.56adcc3228a064e77e940f4a935bae7e.jpg

5 hours ago, BMNJohn said:

I would gladly play an empty database with no real person in it, only freshly generated players just to make it more interesting.

Scenario which can be selected at the beginning of your game.

To come back to the original question, when you talk about "cartoon" newgens, are you talking about the faces only or the attribute spread?

In the former case, I just ignore the picture, honestly, for me, these are really secondary to my enjoyment of the game and I am more interested by the different situation the game has created after a few years of play.

If it the latter then I would be more inclined to start a new save.

8 hours ago, phd_angel said:

As I see lots of cartoon regen players (which turn me off)

Preferences -> interface  and then untick the option to show faces for players/staff generated by the game. This will turn off regen faces if you dislike them. That way, you can remove one of the preventable reasons not to manage them.

In terms of which save to do, why not both? Managing in 2031 is not going to be the same as managing in 2019. I'd be surprised if there was any overlap in the roster at all. Plus different teams will be strong in the league.

4 hours ago, Mikado911 said:

Scenario which can be selected at the beginning of your game.

Nope. It's not the same thing as actually deleting everyone in the database.

EDIT: To be more explicit: if you use that option, there's still that dominating offensive player from Argentina who happens to be playing for F.C. Barcelona and happens to be born in 1987; it's just that his name is Daniel Gutiérrez. There's still this incredible Portuguese striker born in 1985 playing for Juventus who somehow is homegrown at both Sporting CP and Man Utd despite apparently never playing for any other club than Juventus; his name happens to be Felisberto Pinheiro. There's also Luís Fernando Couceiro, a very talented Brazilian attacking midfielder playing for Paris Saint-Germain who is homegrown to Santos FC...

I think you guys get the idea. :brock: This kind of "happenstance" don't happen when you delete everyone in the database; it does have other effects, but this isn't the topic of this thread so I'll leave it there.

If you hate regen players then long term saves isn't for you. They soon flood the market as they should. From the end of season 1 regens pop up so they become a factor very early. Just as young players irl get promoted.

If you're a fan of regens, this year's regens are superb. Lots of variety. I'm on a year 2080 save. I'm a fan of regens. There's no overrated regen. 

4 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Preferences -> interface  and then untick the option to show faces for players/staff generated by the game. This will turn off regen faces if you dislike them. That way, you can remove one of the preventable reasons not to manage them.

I didn't know about that...would that affect a game already in progress by any chance?

29 minutes ago, BMNJohn said:

Nope. It's not the same thing as actually deleting everyone in the database.

EDIT: To be more explicit: if you use that option, there's still that dominating offensive player from Argentina who happens to be playing for F.C. Barcelona and happens to be born in 1987; it's just that his name is Daniel Gutiérrez. There's still this incredible Portuguese striker born in 1985 playing for Juventus who somehow is homegrown at both Sporting CP and Man Utd despite apparently never playing for any other club than Juventus; his name happens to be Felisberto Pinheiro. There's also Luís Fernando Couceiro, a very talented Brazilian attacking midfielder playing for Paris Saint-Germain who is homegrown to Santos FC...

I think you guys get the idea. :brock: This kind of "happenstance" don't happen when you delete everyone in the database; it does have other effects, but this isn't the topic of this thread so I'll leave it there.

What happens to the players' pictures? Do we still recognise the real Daniel Gutiérrez? In other words are the players' UIDs unchanged?

9 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

What happens to the players' pictures? Do we still recognise the real Daniel Gutiérrez? In other words are the players' UIDs unchanged?

They're replaced by regen faces, their previous clubs don't show but their homegrown (homegrowth?) clubs still do. If you don't have near encyclopaedic knowledge of who's who and what their HG clubs were, and decide to manage in a very small club in a very low league in a very small country, you may be fooled. You wouldn't have recognized anyone anyway since you don't know these players, but it would help further muddy the tracks. But to actually not recognize anyone at all based on their club, position, nationality, ability/standing within the game and so on, you'd be better off smacking yourself about the head than actually use this option. :lol:

6 hours ago, Warrenwwr said:

If you hate regen players then long term saves isn't for you. They soon flood the market as they should. From the end of season 1 regens pop up so they become a factor very early. Just as young players irl get promoted.

If you're a fan of regens, this year's regens are superb. Lots of variety. I'm on a year 2080 save. I'm a fan of regens. There's no overrated regen. 

Yeah, only thing is they look **** ;)

I'm not sure exactly why I don't like saves that far in the future... (It's not just the cartoonish images of regens - but I turned off on the Interface, thanks for the tip)...

I posted an open poll here a few years ago, asking how long in the save people went. The large majority of gamers stopped after a few years in the save: three to five, if I recall correctly.  (SI probably has a trove of data on gamers' behaviors...)

I just wanted to check forum members' preferences in terms of tenure in a save file... I start losing interest after 10 years into the save... Is it just me?...

3 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I just wanted to check forum members' preferences in terms of tenure in a save file... I start losing interest after 10 years into the save... Is it just me?...

If you're a one club man, it's just not that challenging. :lol: The AI isn't good enough to force you to rack your brains and keep it challenging. You have to chase after secondary goals: being the best in the Hall of Fame, beating records like number of continental cups, becoming a legend at the club, having a stadium named after you, raising the standard of a continent outside of Europe, develop regens, develop a given tactical system or philosophy... "Simply" winning trophies just isn't too challenging after a while.

I suppose it's a bit more interesting if you're a journeyman rather than a one-club man... granted you don't look back to your old clubs to watch how the AI destroys everything you've done! :brock:

Archived