Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Novem9

Dev diary?

What SI staff think about dev diary?

Paradox interactive use the same thing for Stellaris as example. They write planes, thoughts, announces for confirmed feauters, etc.

Just little text presentations with few screenshots or something like this.

SI have done this every year for a few years now, though don't necessarily specifically call it a dev diary.

I would hope we will be seeing some news on FM20 from SI this month.

Traditionally its only around this time of year for each revision that news is slowly released. This is nothing like what you suggest released during the year. I can see the pros and cons of both approaches but this is how its been to date for FM

Personally I'd like to see something along these lines in the future, but am fully aware of the difficulties in being able to do so. Our team work extremely hard throughout the year, be it supporting the most recently released version or working on design/code of new features, so doesn't leave a huge amount of time to put together diaries - certainly in some of the areas people would find most interesting, like with the ME or in regards to AI/transfers.

We have some internal presentations we do (called LED  - Listen, Eat, Discuss - Talks), but these unfortunately aren't really suitable externally for a whole host of reasons. But never say never! :brock:  

12 часов назад, Nobby_McDonald сказал:

SI have done this every year for a few years now, though don't necessarily specifically call it a dev diary.

No they didn't. Looks like you have no idea what is mean 'dev diary'

9 минут назад, Neil Brock сказал:

Personally I'd like to see something along these lines in the future, but am fully aware of the difficulties in being able to do so. Our team work extremely hard throughout the year, be it supporting the most recently released version or working on design/code of new features, so doesn't leave a huge amount of time to put together diaries - certainly in some of the areas people would find most interesting, like with the ME or in regards to AI/transfers.

We have some internal presentations we do (called LED  - Listen, Eat, Discuss - Talks), but these unfortunately aren't really suitable externally for a whole host of reasons. But never say never! :brock:  

SI very very secretive organization :brock: , but just few sentences in 2-3 months are fine I guess. Even not a video, text only.

As I said no news only I got it you dont like to do premature announcements. Mb feelings, thoughts about the future in FM context, etc, anything you want to share. 

Consider this possibility later, 

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Image result for vic reeves handbags

HANDBAGS! lol

On 10/09/2019 at 11:43, Novem9 said:

They release videos that highlight new features - essentially what a dev diary does. More recently some 'presenters' have been doing the videos rather than SI staff.
Miles used to do the videos himself back in the day.

The danger I would see would be:

1) Suggesting changes and improvements that may or may not happen and people left with expectation but disappointment

2) The excitement just before release could be diluted

What I would like to see is perhaps areas of the game targeted for SI improvement over the next 1-4 years confirmed and some forums/ threads created where the community could make suggestion of what they would like to see revised / modernised in specific modules. I think this would be different to a future enhancements thread we currently have

Ultimately I'm sure the SI crew are all avid football fans and the obvious areas of the game that need improvement are clear to see on both sides of the fence

11 часов назад, Nobby_McDonald сказал:

They release videos that highlight new features - essentially what a dev diary does. More recently some 'presenters' have been doing the videos rather than SI staff.
Miles used to do the videos himself back in the day.

As I said before.

Dev diary is no anounce before release, but during process of developing.

Do you know something about FM20? No, so stop this discussion, Neil Brock gave clear answer about this

Edited by Novem9

Got to love when someone demands to stop discussion on a discussion forum.

You're never going to get that degree of exposure to what the devs are working on.  And what would really be the benefit?  The sort of stuff that people who want it want to hear, SI would never be comfortable with sharing, and the stuff that they would be comfortable with sharing probably wouldn't appeal to a great deal of people.  So what's the point?  Call me crazy, but I think the developers actually working on the game rather than trying to awkwardly pitch a public update in such a way as to not reveal much is a good thing.

25 минут назад, forameuss сказал:

Got to love when someone demands to stop discussion on a discussion forum.

You're never going to get that degree of exposure to what the devs are working on.  And what would really be the benefit?  The sort of stuff that people who want it want to hear, SI would never be comfortable with sharing, and the stuff that they would be comfortable with sharing probably wouldn't appeal to a great deal of people.  So what's the point?  Call me crazy, but I think the developers actually working on the game rather than trying to awkwardly pitch a public update in such a way as to not reveal much is a good thing.

I 'love' how people try to share their opinion if nobody asked. It was answer for SI and Neil clarified this.

All other there in this topic is  blablabla messages. Including your 'You're never going to get that degree of exposure to what the devs are working on'. It's not your business got it?

Even Neil said to think about this diary in future, but somebody tried to proof me SI already done this :seagull:

6 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

I 'love' how people try to share their opinion if nobody asked. It was answer for SI and Neil clarified this.

All other there in this topic is  blablabla messages. Including your 'You're never going to get that degree of exposure to what the devs are working on'. It's not your business got it?

Even Neil said to think about this diary in future, but somebody tried to proof me SI already done this :seagull:

Well that's quite a spectacular breakdown.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold your breath.  Which is basically what Neil said.  The level of detail that would admittedly be interesting you are never, ever going to get.  Either because it's essentially trade secrets, or it'll be features they won't want to reveal for fear of them dropping out.  They could say something as vague as "we're working on the next level of AI", and people would take that wildly out of proportion, build it up in their own minds, and then use it as a stick to beat SI with for something they never actually said.

And again, not sure you really get to suppress discussion or implore people not to express their opinion on an open discussion forum.  Maybe should've just PMed someone if you really wanted a private audience?  And just for clarification, given I am a developer, it's slightly more "my business" given it's the area I work in every day.  Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Novem9 said:

No, so stop this discussion

1 hour ago, Novem9 said:

It's not your business got it?

On an open discussion forum such as this, it's everyone's business and everyone is quite free and welcome to enter a discussion.  However, gentlemen always remain respectful, especially when differences of opinion are expressed.

Of course if that happened there'd be no need for Moderators :D.