Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
DiegoArmando

What to do if the AI suddenly changes to extreme attacking football?

So what I've noticed is that teams that consider themselves superior to you always change their mentality to Attacking when they are behind. I just had a game where this happened again. Their Formation name changes to "Attacking" and they clearly play at least on "Fluid", throwing almost everything into the attack and turning the game around. For example, from 1-0 to 1-3.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at reacting to this. I always feel like being stubborn because I'm thinking that if I was able to score goals, I should just keep trying to score. I don't want to turtle up the minute I scored one goal. So how do you guys react when the AI does that?

Also, extra question: I promoted to Premier League with Nottingham Forest exceeding expectations by far, then got relegated back to the Championship (yeah I'm new, don't laugh, I actually almost avoided relegation :D). Why does the media etc estimate me to only finish mid-table in the Championship? (I have 4 Premier League-level players on the team)

Edited by DiegoArmando

38 minutes ago, DiegoArmando said:

So what I've noticed is that teams that consider themselves superior to you always change their mentality to Attacking when they are behind. I just had a game where this happened again. Their Formation name changes to "Attacking" and they clearly play at least on "Fluid", throwing almost everything into the attack and turning the game around. For example, from 1-0 to 1-3.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good at reacting to this. I always feel like being stubborn because I'm thinking that if I was able to score goals, I should just keep trying to score. I don't want to turtle up the minute I scored one goal. So how do you guys react when the AI does that?

I'd be curious to see what your tactical setup is. Just post your tactics; overly aggressive isn't going to work, crawling back isn't the best idea either IME since FM's way of handling that isn't amazing. A somewhat balanced setup generally works for me; not too open defensively but with enough ability to punish ridiculous setups.

38 minutes ago, DiegoArmando said:

Also, extra question: I promoted to Premier League with Nottingham Forest exceeding expectations by far, then got relegated back to the Championship (yeah I'm new, don't laugh, I actually almost avoided relegation :D). Why does the media etc estimate me to only finish mid-table in the Championship? (I have 4 Premier League-level players on the team)

It's completely dependant of your reputation, regardless of your results. If there are more reputable teams than yours and/or with more reputable players, they'll be favoured. You could reason it as "regression to the mean", but that's not how FM actually thinks: it's all about Reputation.

4 hours ago, DiegoArmando said:

You can usually aim to play on the counter against a team attacking you. Shutting up shop is a bad idea unless you are holding on in the last 10 minutes. You always need to have some attacking threat. Typically I do not change formation when I do this, I just alter how I play. If counter press is ticked, I untick it. You want a solid set of players denying the AI space when you defend. If counter is not ticked, I will tick it. If the AI is over committing, I want to exploit that. I will remove any play out from the back instructions. I do not want to faff around with the ball against an attacking team, because they will likely be pressing harder, and I do not want to give them chance to get back into defensive positions when I win the ball. If I have attacking fullbacks, I will tone them down so we do not give away free space at the back. The exact roles and duties depend on what I am seeing on the pitch. If I have some extremely pacy wide players or strikers, I will also look to bring them on (at a convenient time, obviously not in the first 5 minutes say). Closing down in general should not be too high, I find. The aim is to pack the midfield and either force the AI to cross, or to shoot from range. Focus on defending the spaces rather than attacking the ball carrier.

Put your fullbacks on defensive and play a DM (or more defensive roles in your MCs at least). If you play with two up top, consider bringing on a defensive replacement (if a slightly better chance of not conceding is more useful to you than a considerably better chance of extending your lead. I don't think the AI's especially smart at considering whether you've got two up top before deciding to send players forward. ).

If they're attacking with extreme width, consider pulling wingers back to the ML/MR slots and/or give them man-marking duties so they'll help your fullbacks more. If they're not attacking with extreme width, use your wingers to counter attack with behind their advanced fullbacks instead of playing through a middle they'll press a lot (focus attacks down both flanks)

Most straightforward time wasting option which doesn't affect general play is to ask your keeper to slow pace down when he gets the ball. Playing for set pieces might also be a good idea (if your set piece setups have appropriate defensive cover, which they should do)

I've found two different approaches to go with, when opposition tries to press me into my box:

1. Dry the game down. Mission is - get the ball away from your box and not give it away fast, so they couldn't launch another attack. Instructions are: GK takes time on the ball and rolls it out or kicks short, tempo is high or extemely high, passing is short, play out of defense, work ball into box, attack narrow, dribble less, regroup, hold the ball. You need holding role in DM (DLP, ANC, HB) to execute this and many support roles in general. Mentality -  defensive. Best used by the end of game

2. Counter and get set pieces. Mission is to sit tight, but closer they come more agressive you are. Instructions: very low pressing line, but high pressing urgency, defend narrow, long passes, counter, regroup, pass into space, play for set-pieces, shoot more often. You need BWM and ideally P or W(a) up front. full backs are better to be switched to defensive roles, cause you won't be needing much from them in attack and you need them to mark opponent back near the box. 

If I am only 1 goal in front with 10-15 minutes left, my usual move is to bring on a fast (17+ pace and acceleration) striker with good finishing. I know the opposition are going to attack me and push more players forward. My striker will often produce in this situation because he can thrive on the extra space and seal me the win.