Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
leejerwood

Do minimum fee release clauses mean anything in this game?

My star 20 year old striker has a minimum fee release clause of £7.25m, I am currently in the Championship having taken Dulwich Hamlet up through the leagues. As you can imagine, money is tight and I am very much a selling club, I have built my team around youth and selling them on for a profit, hence I signed my striker from the Welsh Premiership on a compo package of £130k. I have blooded the striker through league one, where he scored 20+ goals and he is currently sitting on 12 halfway through our championship season, we are sitting pretty at 8th in the table.

Bournemouth have just put an offer of £2.4m in which I have rejected and now the player is pissed, we chat and I explain that I will let him go if my valuation is met, which is his release clause and he throws his toys out of the pram and suggests that I am pricing him out of his dream move.

What is the point of insisting on having the damn clause in there (which he wanted during the negotiations), if the player is just going to renegade on it because a bigger club comes calling? 

The actual release clause is for clubs in a higher division. I feel I am being really bloody reasonable as you still have 3 years on his contract. I think he’s probably closer to £15m due to the importance to the team.

Apologise, rant over. 

prolly down to difference in reputation of the clubs.. when did he negotiate the contract?  guessing a couple of seasons back..  reputation takes a while to catch up, iirc, so if you;re over achieving then that's prolly why..  but.. on the other side, shoulda renegotiated when u went up

How long does he have left on his contract? If it is a couple of years, just ignore him. He wants to move to a bigger club. Bournemouth probably put in a lowish bid in order to unsettle the player. Just refuse to sell him if the valuation is not met.

If there is only around 18 months of less, then unsettling a player makes absolute sense. If you can get him down to 12 months on a contract, he will be cheaper to sign for sure. Unsettling him may result in him refusing to sign a contract extension. It is quite sensible tactics from the AI, and tactic you should also use when signing players.

I mean, a release clause isn't an agreement stating that any offer under that number will be rejected. It's an agreement stating that any offer reaching that number will be accepted.

Sounds pretty normal behaviour, I would do the same if I was the Bournemouth manager. And besides, why would you a expect 20-year-old boy to act reasonably? 

In any case, nice to see someone else also guiding Dulwich Hamlet through the leagues!  

I completely understand all replies above, my frustration isn’t with Bournemouth, it purely with the player. I would do the same as well, I just think the players need to be more reasonable when you have a chat with them.

Believe it or not, I then had another chat with him and stayed that he could leave as long as the clause was met and he did a u-turn and agreed due to what the club has done for him. It’s this kind of erational behaviour which annoys me that’s all.

Regarding Dulwich, they are my local team as I was born there, I’ve always had to add them to the CS, but this year I was buzzing as we gained promotion, so it’s been fun trying to get them up the leagues. 

2 hours ago, leejerwood said:

Believe it or not, I then had another chat with him and stayed that he could leave as long as the clause was met and he did a u-turn and agreed due to what the club has done for him. It’s this kind of erational behaviour which annoys me that’s all.

When you are playing with lower league clubs you have to accept that you will lose some players whether it's your chairman accepting offers that are bellow what you previously rejected (that is a lot more annoying for me) or when your players want you to lower your evaluation of them. But it gets better over time, I don't know what season you're in but you will eventually be able to keep all your players as you improve and do buisness at your terms in the market.