Sports Interactive Community
DownTheFrank

Quick Question about Striker service and team passing

I'm trying to play a 4-2-3-1 with AMR and AML to take advantage of the talents of a certain striker i have. 

I want my team to primarily funnel balls through the middle for him to run onto, i want zero to no crosses from out wide at all. I've done a few hours and a large number of matches but can't seem to find what i want. I play on balanced mentality and have decided upon the roles of the 2 centrebacks, the AMC and the Striker. 

I want to know the player roles, and instructions i should employ for the wide men (AMRL and DRL) as well as midfield two to make my team play this way specifically. 

Any quick and easy answers would be greatly appreciated. 

40 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

I want my team to primarily funnel balls through the middle for him to run onto

Sounds like a Raumdeuter with a playmaker role at AMC to me.

41 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

i want zero to no crosses from out wide at all

That's neither possible nor realistic.  You can reduce the number of crosses, but you'll never get zero.  Try giving your fullbacks (or wingbacks) a defend duty.  Also telling them to reduce crosses in their PI screens may help, as might "work ball into box", although that may have unwelcome consequences for your first objective.

Of course both the above will depend on whether you have relevant players for the roles (attributes and Traits).

5 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

I'm trying to play a 4-2-3-1 with AMR and AML to take advantage of the talents of a certain striker i have. 

I want my team to primarily funnel balls through the middle for him to run onto, i want zero to no crosses from out wide at all. I've done a few hours and a large number of matches but can't seem to find what i want. I play on balanced mentality and have decided upon the roles of the 2 centrebacks, the AMC and the Striker. 

I want to know the player roles, and instructions i should employ for the wide men (AMRL and DRL) as well as midfield two to make my team play this way specifically. 

You have some of a tactic and want us to fill in the pieces without knowing what they are? I feel like your tying our hands and blind folding us.  Hard enough suggesting fixes for tactics we can see and might recognize some of the players being used nevermind when its this vague!

2 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

You have some of a tactic and want us to fill in the pieces without knowing what they are? I feel like your tying our hands and blind folding us.  Hard enough suggesting fixes for tactics we can see and might recognize some of the players being used nevermind when its this vague!

I just want a base i can start off with. I have the CB, MC , AMC, and striker roles sorted. The Striker will be an Advanced forward or a poacher because of his attributes and play style. I don't want anybody to necessarily give me a tactic, what i was wishing for was for someone who has had success doing what i'm trying to do give me insight. Eg. Well the best way to play through balls to a short striker is to play defensive wingbacks and use APs in the wide forward roles. etc etc. Not to give me a full tactic per se. 

Because i have tried and tried but my team keeps crossing and that's stylistically not what i want. 

33 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Because i have tried and tried but my team keeps crossing and that's stylistically not what i want. 

33 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Well the best way to play through balls to a short striker is to

I don't understand how you can say you have roles, mentality and some instructions sorted then say it doesn't work?  Nevermind, i'll just focus on these two statements.

If you want to play through balls to the ST, you need to move the ball forward quickly.  Playing Balanced might be to slow even without adjusting Passing or Tempo or adding Play Out Of Defence etc.  The more possession oriented you get, the less penetration you get and you end up pushing opponents back and deep, especially if your expected to beat them.  To penetrate opponents you have to risk possession, either through risky passes or dribbling.  You don't have to sit back deep and try to counter but also don't want to pin opponents in.  Ideally you want to enter the final third via penetration which means in the middle third trying through balls / taking opponents on and if successful causing a cascade effect.

A Poacher can work in a possession system though, but don't expect runs in behind the opponents as much, your really looking to pull defenders out of position then a simple pass to feet in the area.  As you have less focus on through balls you can afford to press more aggressive to see more of the ball and maybe cause a mistake.  You still need some penetration or everything will be too static but it won't be so early, players will need to move around more to create overloads and offer deeper options rather than playing on the shoulder except for the poacher of course.

Want to minimize crosses?

• Whilst you don't want crosses, you will still need players to start wide to stretch opponents, you dont want everyone coming inside and sitting narrow or there will be no space.
  • Don't look for overlaps:  Don't use the TIs and have the FBs be Defend or Support.  Let the wide forwards roam around and use the space.  Overlapping them will just end up in a crossing situation, even if you want a pullback the higher mentality of overload instruction and/or attack duty might mean they just cross.
  • Check for player traits. Even if instructed to Cross Less Often (this does not mean never!), if they like to get high + wide and don't have good vision and other mentals, the only option they'll probably see is a cross.
  • Make sure the wide players have options to center the ball to, not just in the box but a bit deeper to recycle possession, especially if more the possession style rather than the more penetration style.

9 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

So you basically want to limit your team's attacking options, even if that may well do more harm than good. I personally would never play that way, but if I wanted to give it a try, these are the tactical settings I would consider:

- fullback roles that go inside and tend to avoid crossing, hence IWB (either both on support or one on support and the other on defend)

- wide forward roles that likewise tend to avoid crossing, but are creative and playing through balls, and both on support duty (IF on one flank and AP on the other)

- a simple AMC role (i.e. AM on support)

- simple CM roles (both standard CMs, one on defend, the other on support)

- narrower width (a logical choice)

- short passing, because the style you described requires slow build-up play patiently waiting for an opening

- standard tempo, given that you play on Balanced mentality, which in combination with short passing is already slow and patient enough

- play out of defence (for the reason(s) already explained)

- work ball into box (to further reduce your players' temptation to cross or shoot from distance (though this cannot be guaranteed in advance, because it also depends on how capable your players are of keeping the ball lomg enough in the final third and then creating good chances for the striker in precisely the manner you want them to)

- the lone striker's role would naturally be poacher, and I would give him the "move into channels" PI, unless he already has the relevant trait (off the ball, anticipation, acceleration are key attributes IMHO)

Is this likely to work the way you want/expect? Maybe, but only if you really have the right type of players for each role and such tactical style overall.

I’ve played this tactic before and I’ve had some success.

I played a Complete Forward.

An Inside Forward and Winger on each flank.

An Attacking Midfielder.

A Deep-Lying Playmaker and Ball Winner.

Two Full backs and Two Central Defenders.

Then simply a GoalKeeper.

I have tried a poacher upfront but found a CF to better in my experience for scoring and bringing teammates into play.

You said you don’t want your players to cross. I play a Winger in this tactic and he gets lots of assists and goals during the season. Therefore it is generally good to cross sometimes.

And that’s it really. Even without applying any Team Instructions or PIs, I finished top of the league.

Don’t play this tactic when playing away. Instead try the same roles except Deep-Lying Playmaker in the DMC position behind an Advanced Playmaker and Ball Winner and only change to Counter Team Strategy.

What does Dictates Tempo mean in the context of play. What does that sort of player look to do ? When is it good, and when is it a bad trait ? 

I have a very talented AMC with the attributes to be a great midfield runner. I want him to be a midfield runner first, score second, creator third.  i think the dictates tempo trait might be preventing that and holding him back.