Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

9 hours ago, XaW said:

Then why do you keep them?

Because I foolishly think FM will follow some semi-reasonable logic, by which if a player is told "sorry you weren't registered but that's just the way it is due to registration rules" and then calms down and is no longer unhappy and signs a new contract, he won't be absolutely furious if he's not registered again after the next transfer window.

7 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

The point was that XaW asked why Cadoni didn't post his issues in the bug section for FM19 rather than returning to FM17, as I said this would not have solved Cadoni's issues with FM19

Of course, but it would help make future games better, and isn't that something everyone wants? I really like the game, but I can also see there are some flaws and bugs here and there. I would like them to be fixed for either future patches to the game I'm playing, else I would like them fixed in the next version at least. If he took the time to post about his issues in this thread, then why not post a bug report? It doesn't take much more time or effort?

6 hours ago, jujigatame said:

Because I foolishly think FM will follow some semi-reasonable logic, by which if a player is told "sorry you weren't registered but that's just the way it is due to registration rules" and then calms down and is no longer unhappy and signs a new contract, he won't be absolutely furious if he's not registered again after the next transfer window.

Well, I think this could be explained by the player accepting your apology, but then expects to be in the squad the next season. While you think he has accepted his role in the squad, he expects to be included in the future.

However, it might also be a bug or something that could be clearer for the user, so you should report it so SI can take a look and see if there are improvement that can be done for situations like these in future versions.

When I asked why you kept them, I meant why do you keep a player in your squad when you clearly feel he is not a good enough player for you? If he were good enough, you would have included him in the CL squad, right? The only situation I can see that this would fit in, were an older tutor type player who are more a part of the coaching staff than player. Otherwise, I would get rid of him and rather have a youngster for backup, and if he is young enough, he doesn't need to be included in the CL squad to be eligible.

'keepers seem to go into slow motion when faced with a shot at their near post. They also dive inside the post which is pointless.

7 hours ago, XaW said:

Well, I think this could be explained by the player accepting your apology, but then expects to be in the squad the next season. While you think he has accepted his role in the squad, he expects to be included in the future.

When I asked why you kept them, I meant why do you keep a player in your squad when you clearly feel he is not a good enough player for you? If he were good enough, you would have included him in the CL squad, right? The only situation I can see that this would fit in, were an older tutor type player who are more a part of the coaching staff than player. Otherwise, I would get rid of him and rather have a youngster for backup, and if he is young enough, he doesn't need to be included in the CL squad to be eligible.

I specifically avoid the response that promises to include them next time, so I really don't think they should expect to be included.

I keep these players around because they either have high potential, or are more experienced squad players who are maybe a good 4th or 5th choice CB but on the chopping block if I can't make registration.

Just now, jujigatame said:

I specifically avoid the response that promises to include them next time, so I really don't think they should expect to be included.

I keep these players around because they either have high potential, or are more experienced squad players who are maybe a good 4th or 5th choice CB but on the chopping block if I can't make registration.

Then it might be a bug. Report it and let SI take a look, maybe they can fix it for the future.

The ones with high potential should be young enough to not have to be registered, and if they aren't I doubt they will reach their potential. The older backups might have legit reason to be annoyed to be excluded though. I'd say the potential bug is that they agree to sign a new contract, rather than being annoyed at not being included...

I just had a game that really encapsulated the weirdness I feel about finishing in this ME.  I won the match 6-1.  None of the goals were scored by my striker, they were all from wingers or midfielders.  Nearly every goal (aside from 1 which was some corner ping-pong) was a howitzer from the edge of the box.  My striker got 2 beautiful through balls and put 1 into the post and 1 into the keeper.  Even the opponent's goal, which resulted from a counter attack following a corner, was actually struck from maybe 1-2 yards inside the box.

For some reason it's easier for players to score from 18 yards than from 5 in this ME.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Then it might be a bug. Report it and let SI take a look, maybe they can fix it for the future.

The ones with high potential should be young enough to not have to be registered, and if they aren't I doubt they will reach their potential. The older backups might have legit reason to be annoyed to be excluded though. I'd say the potential bug is that they agree to sign a new contract, rather than being annoyed at not being included...

Not if they aren't home grown

1 minute ago, XaW said:

The high potential guy is 22.  He may never be that good (because he's always unhappy and training poorly) but his potential when I bought him at age 19 was 5-stars.

Part of the annoyance is when they say "surely I'm better than some of the other players picked".  But they don't actually name names.  Because they're not.

Although in general I agree with your argument.

If I have young players with potential, they shouldn't really be expecting to be in my CL squad as they will probably be 'hot prospects' still. The mistake would be if they were given contracts and a raised status to perhaps rotational players. Then the expectancy would be there for them to be in these squads.

3 minutes ago, Earnie is God! said:

Not if they aren't home grown

I think players under 21 can be played without being registered no matter home grown status. I could be wrong though....

Just now, jujigatame said:

The high potential guy is 22.  He may never be that good (because he's always unhappy and training poorly) but his potential when I bought him at age 19 was 5-stars.

Part of the annoyance is when they say "surely I'm better than some of the other players picked".  But they don't actually name names.  Because they're not.

Yeah, you should report that and let SI take a look.

Just now, XaW said:

I think players under 21 can be played without being registered no matter home grown status. I could be wrong though....

Not for European competitions, they have to be home grown

There is no 'list B' in FM. So only this part counts...

Who can be on List A?
A maximum of 25 players, two of whom must be goalkeepers. There are a minimum of eight places reserved exclusively for 'locally trained players'. If a club have fewer than eight locally trained players in their squad, then the maximum number of players on List A is reduced accordingly.

What's a 'locally trained player'?
There are two categories:
1. Club-trained players – players who were on a club's books for three years between the ages of 15 and 21;
2. Association-trained players – players who were on another club's books in the same association for three years between the ages of 15 and 21. No club can have more than four association-trained players among their eight nominees on List A.

In FM, 'locally trained player' = Home Grown. That's why, when registering players for these competitions, you will see either a light blue box with HGC (Home Grown at Club) or dark blue box with HGN (Home Grown in same Nation).

Like so...
20190420155852_1.thumb.jpg.76a63345add509fdf1ffe1093d27f5aa.jpg20190420155919_1.thumb.jpg.bb63c23b3de6d08f141c918ec0f9c2c3.jpg

That's what I was talking about. It does also say that 20yo or younger at the start of the calendar year, who have been with the club for 2+ years, don't have to be registered. I guess that's a simplified version of 'list B' without the need for that list to be submitted in FM.
So you are right to an extent. But the Home Grown status is the bigger thing and much more obvious with all the blue boxes.

However, it's a moot point as he has said his player is now 22. So he would have failed the HG status and couldn't have been registered on any list B either.

20 minutes ago, Earnie is God! said:

In FM, 'locally trained player' = Home Grown. That's why, when registering players for these competitions, you will see either a light blue box with HGC (Home Grown at Club) or dark blue box with HGN (Home Grown in same Nation).

Like so...
20190420155852_1.thumb.jpg.76a63345add509fdf1ffe1093d27f5aa.jpg20190420155919_1.thumb.jpg.bb63c23b3de6d08f141c918ec0f9c2c3.jpg

That's what I was talking about. It does also say that 20yo or younger at the start of the calendar year, who have been with the club for 2+ years, don't have to be registered. I guess that's a simplified version of 'list B' without the need for that list to be submitted in FM.
So you are right to an extent. But the Home Grown status is the bigger thing and much more obvious with all the blue boxes.

However, it's a moot point as he has said his player is now 22. So he would have failed the HG status and couldn't have been registered on any list B either.

Yeah, I were also trying to get to that point in my save to see the details in the registering, since I were certain I had used younger players without registering them. So let's just say we were both partially right about that one! :)

9 horas atrás, jujigatame disse:

I just had a game that really encapsulated the weirdness I feel about finishing in this ME.  I won the match 6-1.  None of the goals were scored by my striker, they were all from wingers or midfielders.  Nearly every goal (aside from 1 which was some corner ping-pong) was a howitzer from the edge of the box.  My striker got 2 beautiful through balls and put 1 into the post and 1 into the keeper.  Even the opponent's goal, which resulted from a counter attack following a corner, was actually struck from maybe 1-2 yards inside the box.

For some reason it's easier for players to score from 18 yards than from 5 in this ME.

It happens because of the ME balance. The attack in the ME is years ahead of the defence, it is easier to attack effectively and with danger rather then defending without giving space. IMO SI thought that was better to counter balance the attack by tuning down some "easy" chances, like for example 1v1 that even world class strikers tend to miss by a great extent. In RL strikers don't have as many chances that a FM striker have, because the defensive system in the ME is a joke, so the solution was to simple make attackers be "bad" in front of the goal. 

4 hours ago, masno said:

It happens because of the ME balance. The attack in the ME is years ahead of the defence, it is easier to attack effectively and with danger rather then defending without giving space. IMO SI thought that was better to counter balance the attack by tuning down some "easy" chances, like for example 1v1 that even world class strikers tend to miss by a great extent. In RL strikers don't have as many chances that a FM striker have, because the defensive system in the ME is a joke, so the solution was to simple make attackers be "bad" in front of the goal. 

I'm not even sure that is possible.
We all know that sometimes when they try to fix one area of the ME, another one goes wrong. I don't really understand why that happens but it does and has done for many years. Not an easy fix, more a delicate balance. Yes, there are issues with this year's ME, a lot of them in fact, but if you think it was simple for them to "make attackers bad" in a way to counteract some poor defending then I can only suggest you stop watching all those conspiracy theory programmes.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, masno said:

This is the same Argument as the one that there was a "super keeper" to artificially keep scorelines in check. If such has happened, it was never by intent -- there were a couple Releases/patch iterations where Teams, AI included, sported hockey scorelines every week (presumably because the previous super keepers turned into turds, when it was rather a combination of formations and duties causing defenses to flat out collapse that badly needed adressing). Plus, FMers tend to vastly misjudge the chances of scoring, same as saving shots, by wide margins -- see also Rashidi as well, he's not that consistent for no reason -- and his Argument, just as mine, is the key to success is having Forwards in space in the box consistently).

It's clear that on FM19 it's a good deal easier to score "screamers" than previous (lots of complains directed towards FM 18 in particular). Then again, if it were that easy and consistent, I wonder why anybody at all is struggling to break tight defenses down (AI included).... eventually they would all just collapse every other game. Plus, if Forwards had this many chances (Ronaldo IRL 7 average per match, Messi 5 etc), why are there so many complaints related to off the ball movement leading to not much Involvement of the strikers at all?

I agree that the defending of this game compared to actual real zonal defending is behind the curve. However, as MBarbaric could likely also testify, the attacking (which this is balanced against), also isn't quite 100% like attacking works in the modern game. 

Edited by Svenc

A player who *literally* just played a game from start shouldn't come and ask you for a chance in the first team after the match.

5 hours ago, Viking said:

A player who *literally* just played a game from start shouldn't come and ask you for a chance in the first team after the match.

Why? If he played well it seems like the perfect time to ask for more starts.

6 hours ago, Viking said:

Doesn't work like that. A player's demands to play are based on more than just the last game, more like the past 6-8, if not more. If, over that time, they 'think' they haven't played enough they will moan. Admittedly, there do seem to be more players complaining in FM19 a lot sooner than in other recent versions and it can be a pain but it's certainly not based on just the last game played.

I'm not seeing an option to copy paste schedules for U18 and U23, I only have the option for senior training, bug? Yes I have set myself to run general training.

Untitled-1.jpg

nope you're right, it isn't available. and it's incredibly annoying!

We need an option to delete history and data such as inboxes, premier league winners etc to speed up the game and save storage of the saved game.

2 minutes ago, kingking said:

We need an option to delete history and data such as inboxes, premier league winners etc

Pretty sure the inbox gets emptied every month, and league winners can't add more than a few 10s of kbytes to a save file. The bloat probably comes from the thousands of newgens every season while very few existing players drop out of the database altogether - many retiring players move into coaching/scouting.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, warlock said:

Pretty sure the inbox gets emptied every month, and league winners can't add more than a few 10s of kbytes to a save file. The bloat probably comes from the thousands of newgens every season while very few existing players drop out of the database altogether - many retiring players move into coaching/scouting.

Ah ok newgens are a necessity, i guess fm in nature will bloat due to players retiring and becoming coaches..

no complaint here then

Edited by kingking

I'm very pleased with improvements to AI transfers, big teams sign good players with great potential and ability

thank you SI for improving AI Transfers, they are smarter

12 часов назад, kingking сказал:

I'm very pleased with improvements to AI transfers, big teams sign good players with great potential and ability

Also SI improved coaches transfers, there are more logic and realism in fm19 :thup:

Meh, I convert the majority of my clear cut chances and very rarely score long range goals (maybe except for direct free kicks, I think these are a little too overpowered still). There are obviously some issues, like players being too eager to shoot when it's clear they have no space or shooting from tight angles when they could square the ball across goal to an unmarked teammate for an easy tap-in, but I still feel like people are overblowing the problems with finishing to suit their narrative (some have been doing it for what feels like ten years, even after threatening to quit FM forever :brock:)

Posted (edited)

Is it right to use "Move into channels" as a lone striker? or have it at least an option to turn off when being alone upfront? I still don't get exactly what it means but here's my take on this- moving in between the lines finding space between players, so if you're in a strikers position it's more or less saying they're moving inside the lines pealing off either CB's or finding space out wide between the fullbacks and cb's- am i right about this?? Im asking because while i'm ingame I have a winger thats wide but seems to cut inside because of a trait but when my striker is in a 1v1/2/3/4 position he's usually on the left flank cutting in instead of being that main striker as a Adv forward central or trying to peal off both CB's.

In line with this I also find that the positional maps is just your set up of tactics and formations rather what is on the pitch all be it "average" even with touches being wider having no effect. 

Also when you have strikers PI "dribble more" does this deepen the players positioning? cause I assume that to dribble more you expect them to be deeper to make their dazzling runs rather than being closer to the box/inside the box and dribbling there or thereabouts. 

Edited by BigV
more

2 hours ago, endtime said:

Meh, I convert the majority of my clear cut chances and very rarely score long range goals (maybe except for direct free kicks, I think these are a little too overpowered still). There are obviously some issues, like players being too eager to shoot when it's clear they have no space or shooting from tight angles when they could square the ball across goal to an unmarked teammate for an easy tap-in, but I still feel like people are overblowing the problems with finishing to suit their narrative (some have been doing it for what feels like ten years, even after threatening to quit FM forever :brock:)

Part of the issue which has been around for ages is the definition of a CCC and how that can differ between reality and what is classed as one in FM. An easy example is if someone shoots from a really tight angle near the byline, maybe 6-10yds from goal, FM classes that as a CCC due to the distance from goal when it's nothing like a CCC.
But anyway, I thought I'd take a look at my 1st season that has just finished. We played 49 competitive games so picking the max 50 games would have included all of those plus our final pre-season friendly. Changing it to 50 games of friendlies only gives me just that one pre-season game, which is great as I could then check the stats for that one game and compare to what actually happened. 5-0 was the result and it actually all matched up.
However, I spotted that for the whole season we have apparently scored 11 overhead kicks. Erm, say what now?!

20190424175829_1.thumb.jpg.10cc87923fc38398510533ed4ef5f818.jpg

I don't even remember one tbh but 11? And two conceded as well so that's 13 overhead kick goals that I don't recall seeing. I don't have the time to check these games but changing it to the last 5 shows we have both scored and conceded one so will check those games if I get the chance.

20190424182506_1.thumb.jpg.d96680ac3e027bed0580175e072c1d65.jpg20190424182859_1.thumb.jpg.f20f662b3e74bda5e5a7612221d96b8c.jpg

And changing it to last 15 games (cups only) can only be two matches and only one of those we scored in, which apparently produced yet another overhead kick. I looked at the goals in that game and there weren't any. One was a low shot after a pass along the floor, another was a GK screw-up and my striker robbed him and stuck it in the net, and the 3rd was from a cross. That last one is the only conceivable one it could have seen as an overhead kick but it was nothing like it. My striker just volleyed in the cross.
With that blatant discrepancy, I'm not sure how much faith I can put in the other stats shown either.

IRL, approx 3%-4% of goals scored are from outside the area and there are plenty of stats sites to back that up.
In my one season so far, as shown in the 1st graph above, we scored 15 of our 108 goals from distance, that's 13.89%. Only one of those 15 was a free kick, again as shown in that graph, so that's still about 300% more goals from outside the box than what should be expected.

As for CCC conversion rates, we convert far fewer (60.75%) than our opponents do (78.33%) but my strikers aren't that great so maybe that's why. Again, though, it could be in what is deemed as a CCC, therefore I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago :)

20190424183820_1.thumb.jpg.7749eb9a26bdaf6fba65ad88b05481f1.jpg

3 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

Part of the issue which has been around for ages is the definition of a CCC and how that can differ between reality and what is classed as one in FM

Does this have any effect on chances created? cause I feel i see more than the data counts for but more key passes that dont lead to chances created 

Don't you think that attendance rise in FM19 too much slowly?

I mean clubs after promotion in next division at first.

On 15/04/2019 at 00:00, Overmars said:

This does seem true. I think the ultimate fix FM could make here is to make it nearly impossible to execute an aggressive high press for 90 minutes. The hit to condition should probably be higher, and players with ordinary work rate and stamina should be pretty poor at executing it.

With the introduction of the Training revamp in FM19 we did a lot of work behind the scenes on Condition, Sharpness and Fatigue. If you have examples of player not tiring quickly enough, or recovering too quickly, given the workload you are demanding of them (training/match/combination) please do head over to our bugs area and document your findings. We can add these to our internal examples for investigation and continuous balancing.

On 21/04/2019 at 15:57, Tiger666 said:

I'm not seeing an option to copy paste schedules for U18 and U23, I only have the option for senior training, bug? Yes I have set myself to run general training.

Untitled-1.jpg

Could you post this in our bugs section please? Ideally including a screenshot and save demonstrating the issue. Thank you kindly.

3 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Don't you think that attendance rise in FM19 too much slowly?

I mean clubs after promotion in next division at first.

Do you have any examples of this being the case?

19 минут назад, Seb Wassell сказал:

Do you have any examples of this being the case?

For sure, I can show you screenshots from my save of 2025 year. I hope you believe me that I not change any counts :) Also this save already shared in SI cloud by another issue. 

29 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

With the introduction of the Training revamp in FM19 we did a lot of work behind the scenes on Condition, Sharpness and Fatigue. If you have examples of player not tiring quickly enough, or recovering too quickly, given the workload you are demanding of them (training/match/combination) please do head over to our bugs area and document your findings. We can add these to our internal examples for investigation and continuous balancing.

There are countless examples of popular online series in which the user has taken a bang average lower league team, and achieved back-to-back promotions using nothing more than the Gegenpress preset. It should be virtually impossible, yet players with low stamina and natural fitness can pull it off without a care in the world. In addition, the AI can't handle it either.  

44 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

For sure, I can show you screenshots from my save of 2025 year. I hope you believe me that I not change any counts :) Also this save already shared in SI cloud by another issue. 

Replied to your DM :thup:

36 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

When the 19.3.5 will be out?

Won't be one ... wait till FM20 

31 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Won't be one ... wait till FM20 

19.3.5 is on the beta, so it will be out.
Mostly for Mac stability.

Just now, Cadoni said:

19.3.5 is on the beta, so it will be out.
Mostly for Mac stability.

Not a proper update though

1 minute ago, prot651 said:

Not a proper update though

For me will be a proper update since I am playing at Mac enviroment.

Ok @CFuller.Or.I.Need.To.Be.More.Kind?

2 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

For me will be a proper update since I am playing at Mac enviroment.

Ok @CFuller.Or.I.Need.To.Be.More.Kind?

Don't know what that means but the game needs a proper update otherwise its a failure . So much wrong with it

:rolleyes:

FM19 doesn't need another update. Every version of the game has had certain quirks that irk certain users, but not even SI can fix every 'bug'. It's impossible, and sooner or later, SI have to switch their focus towards developing the next version.

So long as SI feel that FM19 is perfectly playable and functional as is, and thus can concentrate on making FM20 the best version yet, there's no real reason to put out an update.

24 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Don't know what that means but the game needs a proper update otherwise its a failure . So much wrong with it

The dev team have already been clear they are investigating reported issues. 

These off the cuff comments are really unhelpful and add nothing to the thread. If you've got issues with the game then it's a good idea to let them know via the bugs forum.