Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

Major bug since update, this is a new save, fake players in squad if you click the down arrow and cycle through players. These players are not on squad list. This affects all teams..

I have not loaded the fake player option. All players in squads are real Paul Pogba etc. 

Look at the second picture, with the in game editor it's like the player does not exist, but he shows up if I cycle through players. Man Utd for example have at least 8 of these players. 

Update - When you pick a team to play as, they don't show up.  I wonder if these players are the newgens that will appear?

My team is fine, but it is still a problem for every other teams.

108922750_GrahamGoodliffe_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.862c617b65b71e4ffac90ec3365bfde5.png 

Louis Madden_ Overview Profile.png

Edited by Jonfun1980

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 ora fa, Amarante ha scritto:

Sexy Football

problem with FM is that you never know if something is a bug or just poor performance ;D

1096802302_greatdefending.thumb.png.a8de55da92907e96bc0984cec192c676.png

Look at this defensive positioning. 4-4-2. 

1. Those two strikers are two players less to start

2. the second line of defence (4 players) cover the width of 30 meters and they have support of the full back. Still, they just stand and watch

3. Unitll fm 17 (or was it 18?) you couldn't defend the center of the pitch because wingers stood so wid. Now the winger on the weak side is so far inside that he has 0 control of his flank.

sexy U8 defending :D

2 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

problem with FM is that you never know if something is a bug or just poor performance ;D

1096802302_greatdefending.thumb.png.a8de55da92907e96bc0984cec192c676.png

Look at this defensive positioning. 4-4-2. 

1. Those two strikers are two players less to start

2. the second line of defence (4 players) cover the width of 30 meters and they have support of the full back. Still, they just stand and watch

3. Unitll fm 17 (or was it 18?) you couldn't defend the center of the pitch because wingers stood so wid. Now the winger on the weak side is so far inside that he has 0 control of his flank.

sexy U8 defending :D

But that is how defending works IRL. Teams prefer to defend the center of the pitch by conceding the flanks to the attacking team. There is nothing wrong with the way FM19 is representing it in this version. It was wrong in FM17 where wide players hanged out wide all the time and attacking teams where able to penetrate the center with ease. I remember my whole tactics was based on playing through the middle and scoring goals like Pep's Barca. It doesn't happen IRL anymore. Teams just don't leave the center open.

Edited by pats

vor 3 Stunden schrieb pats:

But that is how defending works IRL. Teams prefer to defend the center of the pitch by conceding the flanks to the attacking team. There is nothing wrong with the way FM19 is representing it in this version. It was wrong in FM17 where wide players hanged out wide all the time and attacking teams where able to penetrate the center with ease. I remember my whole tactics was based on playing through the middle and scoring goals like Pep's Barca. It doesn't happen IRL anymore. Teams just don't leave the center open.

The only Problem is that not only occasionally the Defenders move that much toward the Ball to one side that they can not even defend the Center...

5 ore fa, pats ha scritto:

i understand where you are coming from and you are right. the principle is right, they are just too narrow in this case. taht's why i said "you don't know if it's a bug or poor performance".

Edited by MBarbaric

I finally got big time scoring from my striker (18 goals in the first 12 matches of the season) but it took crazy attribute development (he's rated 5-stars from my assman which I've never seen before in FM) and a run of near perfect morale.

After a couple of bad results he came back down to earth and started fluffing a lot of chances again, but in that run the number of wonder goals he scored was staggering. I would go so far as to say the power and accuracy he was banging shots in from all over the field actually hurt the game's realism a bit.

I had Werner scoring about 20 goals in 20 games in the first half of the season, winter break came, and he scored three goals in the rest of the season.

Halfway through season two he has one goal.

Nothing changed, he still gets the same amount of chances, still gets clear cut chances, still plays the same role, he now just fluffs every single chance, whether it be one on ones, headers, penalties, whatever.

I don't know if hes just doing a "Torres" or if it's a weakness in the game.

Wage demands seems crazy after the winter patch. A 17 year old player with League One CA demands rotation status and 37 grand a week to sign for Chelsea and won't settle for  anything less. 

Edited by Viking

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I had Werner scoring about 20 goals in 20 games in the first half of the season, winter break came, and he scored three goals in the rest of the season.

Halfway through season two he has one goal.

Nothing changed, he still gets the same amount of chances, still gets clear cut chances, still plays the same role, he now just fluffs every single chance, whether it be one on ones, headers, penalties, whatever.

Is Fm finally simulating some fairly unpredictable Football (Ronaldo ended the Season with 25 Goals, btw)? :D (Would be interesting what the Underlying data is -- by experience, it will be Nothing of the sort though. 7 shots average per match, mostly inside the box, xG 15 Goals+, actual Goals 4).  Finishing in General is a lot more "streaky" by itself than what is often perceived in popular media in General, btw. The root cause being that the keeper almost Always has the Edge from the off... Mind, that's a personal preference and also how I view football. To me usually FM has Always been a tad too predictable on that front, except for one-off Matches, which goes two ways. For every Team dropping added Points due to a perceived streakiness, there is another who may climb the table due to vice versa (which may also be our Team)… But then it's a Computer Code with Maths beneath. :D In real Football, Teams such as Matt Benham's Brentford etc. are running "alternative" tables as in Football results and Performance aren't quite a perfect match sometimes for months (or else Dortmund wouldn't have slumped as low  as 18th in Klopps final Season come February likewise -- on FM though...)
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-cristiano-ronaldo-has-been-real-madrids-major-problem-season-he-can-also-be-their 

Edited by Svenc

4 hours ago, d d said:

Wow that's crazy. Plus League One CA. I think that's need to be tone down a bit.

tbf, if I was a 17 year old with massive potential I'd want silly wages to consider ruining my career by spending the next six years of it on loan to whoever Chelsea could extract the most money from :D 

It's so frustrating that practically every other match the AI is starting out with a 4-3-3 Narrow, and this is EFL Championship level (including 2030 Messi-led Norwich). If not that there's also a propensity for a literal 3-4-3 with 3 outright strikers and ML/R, as opposed to wingbacks. Please make it bloody stop.

On 20/03/2019 at 20:46, jujigatame said:

Yea I've found finishing seems extremely streaky. When morale/motivation/confidence is high attacking players are capable of obscene strikes. When those factors are low they turn into feckless fluffers.

I'm finding they go from top players all around 8 and then have one game where they have a mare and half the team are lucky to scrape a 6 yet we still win 4-3, you tell them off for a poor performance even though they win and half of them go in the huff. Get real it was a naff performance that they just held on for the win, they deserved to be put down afterwards.

21 hours ago, Viking said:

Wage demands seems crazy after the winter patch. A 17 year old player with League One CA demands rotation status and 37 grand a week to sign for Chelsea and won't settle for  anything less. 

Are you trying to sign him from another team soon after regen day? In which case, that's what he's saying he'd want to move from his current club that he's just recently signed a contract with.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Are you trying to sign him from another team soon after regen day? In which case, that's what he's saying he'd want to move from his current club that he's just recently signed a contract with.

Not a regen. A real player who has been at PSV for a while. Not a wonderkid either.

I don't understand the Rating System for Players in FM 19 

Seriously , sometimes it doesn't make any sense. For example ... I have a young Player called "Pelayo Morilla" as a left Inside Forward... He is amazing . Dribbles like a King and is a Team Player. Sometimes i watch the whole Game, and can't understand why his Ratings are 6.5 or lower. Then there is a Free kick which goes in the Net and out of the Blue, Rating goes up to 7 even tho he had nothing to do with the Free kick.  Same for my Striker Belfodil .. He's angry cuz i don't let him play often. Rating in the last 2 matches 6.4 - 6.3. Now i had a cup match vs Bochum , and he had the usual 6.4 Rating at Halftime . We won the Match 4-0 and right before the 4th Goal his rating was 6.2 . After the 4-0 his rating has gone up to 7.1. And again he had NOTHING to do with the Result. No assist or Goal. He played the same poo as in the 1st Half :onmehead:Can anyone explain me how that makes sense ? 

39 minutos atrás, haffaz77 disse:

Seriously , sometimes it doesn't make any sense. For example ... I have a young Player called "Pelayo Morilla" as a left Inside Forward... He is amazing . Dribbles like a King and is a Team Player. Sometimes i watch the whole Game, and can't understand why his Ratings are 6.5 or lower. Then there is a Free kick which goes in the Net and out of the Blue, Rating goes up to 7 even tho he had nothing to do with the Free kick.  Same for my Striker Belfodil .. He's angry cuz i don't let him play often. Rating in the last 2 matches 6.4 - 6.3. Now i had a cup match vs Bochum , and he had the usual 6.4 Rating at Halftime . We won the Match 4-0 and right before the 4th Goal his rating was 6.2 . After the 4-0 his rating has gone up to 7.1. And again he had NOTHING to do with the Result. No assist or Goal. He played the same poo as in the 1st Half :onmehead:Can anyone explain me how that makes sense ? 

Usually I see that problem with Goalkeepers. Like those games where they make spectacular saves but the team is not playing very good and their rating is 6 point something. And other games where they have little work but the team plays incredibly well, win by several goals and the GK gets a 7 point something rate.

But hey, they say in football the GK has the most deeply unfair position :)

Edited by 99

2 hours ago, haffaz77 said:

It doesn't, it's based on winning and losing and each unit has weird different results.

2 hours ago, 99 said:

Usually I see that problem with Goalkeepers. Like those games where they make spectacular saves but the team is not playing very good and their rating is 6 point something. And other games where they have little work but the team plays incredibly well, win by several goals and the GK gets a 7 point something rate.

But hey, they say in football the GK has the most deeply unfair position :)

In conclusion to both points, GK's never go above 6.9 for me unless they pull 20 stops and keep a game deadlock. Same with the defence unit, they'll only go up by winning or keeping it deadlock at drawing 0-0 by the end of the game. I think the midfield is woeful at working it out, my BBM's get rated low quite alot but statistically do okay maybe well. I've watched a lot of game where my BBM is a threat at running and making things happen yet cause nothing ends up in scoring or even assisting it's low. DM role ratings are useless they just coincide with your CM ratings which doesn't help (dependant on each role). My deeplying could run the whole game and make 80 passes of 95% passing rate and have 100% tackle rate and good interception rate but would stick to around 6.5-6.8 at all times unless we win and there it ends to 7.1-7.3. I can never get my wide players working at all so I can't comment on them, my striker never passes the ball as an AF or complete forward so his rating sticks to 6.5-6.7 until he scores or assists.  

7 hours ago, haffaz77 said:

This is one of my pet peeve in FM19. There is no context to the rating.

Score 1 goal and his ratings shoots up even though he was poor all match. Perhaps in future editions there can be like comments from Assistant Manager beside the rating like, "(player) scored a good goal but his overall contribution in the match was poor".

So we have more context to the ratings and make our own judgements from it.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Preveza said:

Its probably the same system they have been using since CM99

Well it's not.

I think the team training is a chore and could be implemented better with a simple change. My suggestion is to replace the three discrete daily sessions with a generalized "weighting" approach based on the human manager choosing the following:

1. Default percentages/weightings for focus areas to be used for all training days (excludes match day and the day before/after match day)
  2. Overall team training intensity percentage
  3. Recovery time to use as a default post-match
  4. Default percentages/weightings to focus on during match preparation, with the option to change it for specific opponents

I know in FM19 I can set a default weekly template and copy it to my planned training calendar, but then the matches themselves interrupt those templates and require tedious adjusting. Default percentages//weightings remove that complication.

4 ore fa, Overmars ha scritto:

I think the team training is a chore and could be implemented better with a simple change. My suggestion is to replace the three discrete daily sessions with a generalized "weighting" approach based on the human manager choosing the following:

1. Default percentages/weightings for focus areas to be used for all training days (excludes match day and the day before/after match day)
  2. Overall team training intensity percentage
  3. Recovery time to use as a default post-match
  4. Default percentages/weightings to focus on during match preparation, with the option to change it for specific opponents

I know in FM19 I can set a default weekly template and copy it to my planned training calendar, but then the matches themselves interrupt those templates and require tedious adjusting. Default percentages//weightings remove that complication.

I think this is a good suggestion and I hope you're gonna forward it in the suggestions thread :thup:

1 hour ago, haffaz77 said:

bea421f5383c0910ab2c5306323b3134.gif

What on earth ?????

Feel like stuff like that is pure animation issues.

Keeper rolls ball to CB, defender miscontrols and both defender and keeper go for the loose ball and clatter into each other. Something that probably has happened somewhere, but just looks ridiculous due to limited animation. 

The keeper diving in when he sees a ball running towards him in the box even though it's under control of his teammate looks much more like a decision making issue to me. The other player's taken two touches and the ball's practically attached to his foot.

Assume it's been uploaded to the bugs forum though...

vor 2 Stunden schrieb enigmatic:

The keeper diving in when he sees a ball running towards him in the box even though it's under control of his teammate looks much more like a decision making issue to me. The other player's taken two touches and the ball's practically attached to his foot.

Assume it's been uploaded to the bugs forum though...

it is

With each match I play I'm finding myself more and more unfuriated by (almost) every striker role forcing 'move into channels' PPM and lack of an instruction to tell them to stay more central. It feels like more often than not my striker has run out wide to recieve a pass, crossing the ball to either an empty box or a late-arriving winger or midfielder.

Or when the striker continually comes short (and deep) for the throw-in when they're instructed to instead attack the post/challenge the keeper/go forward - and despite a winger/full-back/midfielder being told to come short instead. Or when the full-back decides the perfect time to cross the ball is not in fact when he's skinned his marker, but 5 seconds later when the defender has closed him down resulting in the ball pinging off for a throw-in.

It's a pity. Hopefully the next iteration will have a more enjoyable match engine experience.

On a more positive note though, I feel like the behaviour overlapping full-backs when the winger has gotten to the byline is excellent (and indeed vice-versa when the full-back passes the ball back to a winger in an open pocket of space near to the corner of the box). Wth the wingers wanting to play more narrowly in this year's game it allows the full-backs more room to breathe and the resulting interplay is veyr good.

36 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

With each match I play I'm finding myself more and more unfuriated by (almost) every striker role forcing 'move into channels' PPM and lack of an instruction to tell them to stay more central. It feels like more often than not my striker has run out wide to recieve a pass, crossing the ball to either an empty box or a late-arriving winger or midfielder.

Or when the striker continually comes short (and deep) for the throw-in when they're instructed to instead attack the post/challenge the keeper/go forward - and despite a winger/full-back/midfielder being told to come short instead. Or when the full-back decides the perfect time to cross the ball is not in fact when he's skinned his marker, but 5 seconds later when the defender has closed him down resulting in the ball pinging off for a throw-in.

It's a pity. Hopefully the next iteration will have a more enjoyable match engine experience.

On a more positive note though, I feel like the behaviour overlapping full-backs when the winger has gotten to the byline is excellent (and indeed vice-versa when the full-back passes the ball back to a winger in an open pocket of space near to the corner of the box). Wth the wingers wanting to play more narrowly in this year's game it allows the full-backs more room to breathe and the resulting interplay is veyr good.

Ironically I've just finished a play session in which this exact issue has made me prematurely pack in for the evening. Lone strikers systems are a complete and utter nightmare to balance, even when they are supported by an abundance of roles and duties to encourage attacking variety. Play seems to happen all around them never through them. They either run out to the corner flag or stand like corpses in the box.

It's head and shoulders the most maddening thing about this year's game. My centre mids and wide players are regularly cracking goals in from outside the box, but the striker may as well be a fan that has been pulled from the crowd.  

The finishing of strikers seems shockingly morale-based.  In the first half of my season my team was unstoppable because my world-class striker (best player on my team) had perfect morale and was knocking silly goals in from all over the box.  He was scoring Messi/Ronaldo levels of goals, around 1.5 per game.  Mid-season we have a few bad results and his morale drops to "good".  Now even the simplest of finishes gets punted directly into the keeper's chest and he's scored 1 in his last 6.

I believe this is what people mean when they say you can't "see" the attributes on the field anymore.  There are so many modifiers and their effects can be outsized.

Is anyone having insane amount of hitting woodwork per game? I am managing my 3rd team which is save I started after the last update and for a while I thought it is just luck but now I am managing a team that dominates, it started to become boring. I just counted that in 18 games this season there is a total of 23 woodwork stat. I have been watching football for like 30 years and I have seen players hitting woodwork rarely. Definitely there is no per game average of more than 1. 

Funny fact that, I checked the games I lost last season and in most games there are 0. However, in the ones I won, the average is no less than 1. It really started to become boring to watch the ball to hit the woodwork after a nice attack. 

9 hours ago, jujigatame said:

The finishing of strikers seems shockingly morale-based.  In the first half of my season my team was unstoppable because my world-class striker (best player on my team) had perfect morale and was knocking silly goals in from all over the box.  He was scoring Messi/Ronaldo levels of goals, around 1.5 per game.  Mid-season we have a few bad results and his morale drops to "good".  Now even the simplest of finishes gets punted directly into the keeper's chest and he's scored 1 in his last 6.

Could actually be, but the way you look at Things, you should never bet on real football. Not only is "1 in 6" a sample size that amounts to "random Chance Bonanza". There is also no context provided, included how many and what kind of chances the guy actually has had. [There's good reason why bookies tend to publish seemingly "Trends" on their sites such as scoring streaks or most recent WDL records, and it's not because it would provide gamblers an Edge, in particular not in an Ultra low scoring sports such as football]. Additonally, we as humasn are real bad at grasping that influence of possible "Chance". It's counter-intuitive to grasp of how often you can go throwing a string of heads when flipping a coin. Intuitively, you'd expect it to be fifty-fifty heads / tails, but that only applies over the longer term…. The Chance of each throw remains equal, the short to mid-term sequence not at all.

The effects of morale may well be too large, but this would demand a deeper research. Btw, I personally think coding a big influence of perceived "confidence" on scoring streaks is a fallacy in general, as the vast majority of forwards in Football produce "streaks" by the fact that they don't even have the chances to score consistently (2-3 attempts per match; Messi, Kane Ronaldo et all 5+ per match average btw). But that's another matter. :DIf the influence of morale was overly huge though, that Team at the Bottom of the table playing ultra-defensive football would never score with its ineviatably first/fewer shots on target. Plus, what if Prior your Forward was actually rather "lucky" to score this frequently? 

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, Svenc said:

Could actually be, but the way you look at Things, you should never bet on real football. Not only is "1 in 6" a sample size that amounts to "random Chance Bonanza". There is also no context provided, included how many and what kind of chances the guy actually has had. [There's good reason why bookies tend to publish seemingly "Trends" on their sites such as scoring streaks or most recent WDL records, and it's not because it would provide gamblers an Edge, in particular not in an Ultra low scoring sports such as football]. Additonally, we as humasn are real bad at grasping that influence of possible "Chance". It's counter-intuitive to grasp of how often you can go throwing a string of heads when flipping a coin. Intuitively, you'd expect it to be fifty-fifty heads / tails, but that only applies over the longer term…. The Chance of each throw remains equal, the short to mid-term sequence not at all.

The effects of morale may well be too large, but this would demand a deeper research. Btw, I personally think coding a big influence of perceived "confidence" on scoring streaks is a fallacy in general, as the vast majority of forwards in Football produce "streaks" by the fact that they don't even have the chances to score consistently (2-3 attempts per match; Messi, Kane Ronaldo et all 5+ per match average btw). But that's another matter. :DIf the influence of morale was overly huge though, that Team at the Bottom of the table playing ultra-defensive football would never score with its ineviatably first/fewer shots on target. Plus, what if Prior your Forward was actually rather "lucky" to score this frequently? 

I'm not claiming my striker's 1.5 GPG form was more realistic. I'm just claiming that qualitatively it's like watching 2 different players. The perfect morale version of my striker is an otherworldly godlike being who doesn't care for "chances" since he can bash a goal in from just about anywhere. The decent morale version is a mere mortal who can score now and then but puts a lot of simple finishes directly into the keeper.

1 hour ago, jujigatame said:

I'm not claiming my striker's 1.5 GPG form was more realistic. I'm just claiming that qualitatively it's like watching 2 different players. The perfect morale version of my striker is an otherworldly godlike being who doesn't care for "chances" since he can bash a goal in from just about anywhere. The decent morale version is a mere mortal who can score now and then but puts a lot of simple finishes directly into the keeper.

Isn't that just the vagaries of form though? You've just described Salah last season and this season...

Rooney in both his best Seasons averaged 5-6 attempts per match respectively. Otherwise it'd be a Miracle if he was a consistent scorer, as his averages are 3 attempts per match.

Lukaku basically is a 3 attempts per match Forward all his Career (this Season he's actually as low as 1.9). This is influenced by how he's utilized tactically (it is rare that team's are as build around Players as much as Ronaldo's), his skills and traits (in particular positioningn likely); plus at what Team he Plays (at Real Madrid you#re going to have more finishes than at say Burnley). Both though will have perceived "Cold" and "hot" streaks simply because they don#t get enough finishes to score consistently. In other words, what is perceived as "form" is oftenly simply random chance/variation. (Sources both their profiles on whoscored.com).

Not even considering the amounts of finishes a Forward has is far too little Input either way. Since FM doesn't deal in any more detailed stats, it's the only Thing to half-way go by too.
Plus if there's a difference that would persist longer than those couple o' dice rolls, erm, Matches: What for instance if the conversion itself didn't jump off a cliff as much -- but rather the supply? 

Edited by Svenc