Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't think anyone is leaving Liverpool fullbacks completely unmarked free to cross at will. These are elite players not a pub team.

The ball is almost on centre and defensive team has 5 players inside the box all spaced up in 15 metre of width? In futsal maybe.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

Hi,

What I like to see in Football Manager 2020:

- Fixed interviews (it's the same questions over and over and over since FM17).
- Improvements in 3D Enginee. FM19 looks like more sharp and little more detail than FM17.
- Medical History when you are looking for potential transfer.
- Medical & HQ Facilities
- Background Staff: Finance and Marketing Director

Hope to see some of thoose in FM20

You might want to post that over there.

Personally, I feel interviews have changed for the better from FM17 to FM19. There's certainly a bit more variety. The main reason why you get asked the same questions over and over again, though, is because real journalists ask real managers the same questions over and over again.

8 minutes ago, CFuller said:

You might want to post that over there.

Personally, I feel interviews have changed for the better from FM17 to FM19. There's certainly a bit more variety. The main reason why you get asked the same questions over and over again, though, is because real journalists ask real managers the same questions over and over again.

Hello,

Thank you for answering and thank you for guide me at the correct place to post it.

Best

32 minuti fa, Mitja ha scritto:

I don't think anyone is leaving Liverpool fullbacks completely unmarked free to cross at will. These are elite players not a pub team.

The ball is almost on centre and defensive team has 5 players inside the box all spaced up in 15 metre of width? In futsal maybe.

BAYERN_LIVERPOOL.thumb.png.b10322d6690d5de812542ba0737807be.png

Bayern beggs to differ. not only they let the full back alone, they even let salah alone. 

"The issue with defending inside the box no metter where the ball is, is new. In fm17 team pushedup from box when they could. Now the park the bus tactics defend from inside the box like shown in that picture."

I can agree with above to an extent. 

Edited by MBarbaric

35 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

You are so wrong i won't bother thinkig of a response. I'll just quote this:

Forcing Inefficient Attacking Strategies

Through control of the centre of the pitch, a compact defence can force the opposition into one of the most inefficient attacking strategies – crossing. An analysis by Michael Caley (MC_of_A on twitter) found that headed shots and shots assisted from crosses have a conversion rate much lower than normal shots from the same position (you can find the relevant analysis here). It is a common sight than when the central passing lanes are covered with little usable space within the defensive block, the attacking team will resort to passing to the only free advanced player – the full-back. In a lot of these situations the full-back will then cross from a deep position – the most inefficient position to cross from.

and the rest on defensive organization you can read here:

https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/05/08/tactical-theory-compactness/

there's nothing apparently wrong from defensive organization point of view on both screenshots.

How can it be wrong when its hypothetical and so? Just because it's inefficient doesn't means it's impossible to score... look at city at the byline, likes of sterling, sane and B.Silva CROSSING regardless if it's aerial or on ground, how many times have you seen them score this way? alot within the last 3 seasons because they stretch and work it in and are flexible unlike what you think should happen. Spurs, city, everton and Bournemouth to a degree prove your thought is wrong. Oh and a very recent one/two Pogba to herrera, Rashford to pogba both in vertical spaces and wing play. 

Sometimes the best marking, is leaving a player unmarked.
If they win in 1v1 you have a player (which marked the opposition) completely off position and defending shape.
That's why you see the Bayern players do not marking Salah.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

Here's teams parking the bus. There's so much wrong with both teams positions, it's unbelievable. Such situation would never happen in fm17.

3722252b4a5354f117bb00dc8418ed24.png

3705e097da7da670e41ad071a7bc7a6a.png

Want more?

When I see that and then someone tries to explain it as its a good thing .... i want to goon full bananas.

Good job at showing these images.

56 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

Bayern beggs to differ. not only they let the full back alone, they even let salah alone

Haha. Can you show 10 more pics like that from that game?

But as I said, there's equally wrong with attack and defense teams positions in those two pictures.

image006-768x375.png

Edited by Mitja

I am not arguing the position of players is right. they should cover more space (the black circle in the first screenshot from the game)

What I am saying is that they, at least, recognize what is dangerous space in relation to where the ball is and they cover the right corridor compared to FM17 where they weren't. there is absolutely nothing wrong with those red circles and yellow question marks.

the atletico screenshot you posted is exactly what I am talking about, look at all the space on the weak flank. whole defensive unit has shifted covering the ball side. There are 20-25 meters of space on the weak side. just like on the screenshots in the game. For me, that is a welcome change compared to previous years. 

Edited by MBarbaric

4 hours ago, JohnShaft said:

Can't see me ever buying FM again unless my faith is somehow restored in this version

I'm really eager to see how many issues will be sorted out in fm20. Have no hope for this one. Threw my money away not just with fm19 but fm17 that I enjoyed but returning to it is almost impossible for me. SI could at least hinted us here (long term fans) something along "we're working on entirely new ME, expect some problems at first"...

And I agree with the state of current ME, worst since introduction of 2D.

Edited by Mitja

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

I'm really eager to see how many issues will be sorted out in fm20. Have no hope for this one. Threw my money away not just with fm19 but fm17 that I enjoyed but returning to it is almost impossible for me. SI could at least hinted us here (long term fans) something along "we're working on entirely new ME, expect some problems at first"...

And I agree with the state of current ME, worst since introduction of 2D.

I suppose you still have a nice savegame from FM17. Do an experiment: load it up and play it for a few hours. You will probably blown away by a much simpler and better (subjective) interface, less time-consuming non-sense and a less problematic ME. When I load up FM 17, its like a breath of fresh air not seeing FM19s clunky and cluttered interface, especially with those ever frustrating skin colors. 

Mitja, fm17 was terrible for wingers defending. Wingers would stand there and face their man on the wing, whilst 50 metres away, the opposition was playing a through ball to their striker. Wingers tuck in and defend narrowly in real life. They dont defend close to the byline and leave space in the middle. Its football. No offence but your notion that wingers would realistically defend in fm17 is cute

• SI Staff

Would just like to remind people that this thread is for general feedback. If you have any specific issues with the game that you can provide examples of then please start a thread in the relevant area of the forums.

If you want to have a debate with someone over tactics then take it to PMs please. Too often this thread is getting cluttered up with little arguments because someone has a different opinion to you.

4 hours ago, Preveza said:

Mitja, fm17 was terrible for wingers defending. Wingers would stand there and face their man on the wing, whilst 50 metres away, the opposition was playing a through ball to their striker. Wingers tuck in and defend narrowly in real life. They dont defend close to the byline and leave space in the middle. Its football. No offence but your notion that wingers would realistically defend in fm17 is cute

FM19 is the only FM where defending happens. Where you can play a proper defensive/counter-attacking style of football. In Previous versions, the defending was worst.

5 hours ago, Preveza said:

One of the strongest points in FM19's favour is that the most successful formations in tactic testing leagues are all back fours with fairly high defensive lines, like successful teams actually play, and a pretty wide variety of attacking styles. And my strikers haven't actually got many goals just from being a lot quicker than the average opposition centre back...

Compare that with FM17, where the back three ruled because you needed the extra centre back in there to make up for not getting much help from your fullbacks, short passes and an extra man meant you totally dominated midfield against anyone with wingers because their wide players never helped out, and fast [shadow] strikers shredded supposedly good defences on the counter.

I've decided that I hate the player interaction system. 

It's not a new feature by any means and I know why it has to be there, but my big problem with it is that the game gives you no feedback on what choices would be good or bad, so it feels like a complete shot in the dark as to whether you'll get a desirable outcome or not. 

As an example, I'll outline a scenario I just experienced.

I'm playing as Southend United during the 2023/24 season. We've been in the Premier League for four years and finished 6th, 6th, 6th and 8th. I've got a 20-year-old forward with huge potential who's a key part of the team, and we've just received a £50m bid from Manchester City for him. His agent makes it clear that he wants to go and there's little chance I can convince him to stay, so I accept the offer. A few days later, the player leaves. Two days before the deal happens, we sign his replacement. As far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is sorted. 

Apparently not. One of the team leaders (according to the dynamics) is upset about the sale. I have a chat with him. I tell him the deal was too good to turn down. He disagrees, which is fine, but I want to examine the wording of this:

Player: You can't put a price on what *Player Sold* offered us as a team, this was a mistake and you know it.

This guy's personality is Balanced. He's "media friendly". I don't expect a balanced, media friendly guy to be this confrontational, especially after addressing him in a calm manner. As the player, I'm already fearing a tantrum and that I've "lost" the conversation because nothing short of complete acquiescing to his opinion will diffuse this. As the manager, I don't think I've made the wrong decision, so naturally I'll defend myself. I tell him to forget about it, that no player is bigger than the team, etc. He responds:

Player: You can be as dismissive as you want, I'm not backing down here.

My options from here on are to apologise, try to diplomatically diffuse the tension, or play the big scary authority card. I didn't want to go to either extreme, so I went for what seemed to be the safe choice and tell him to move on because what's done is done.

Player: We're getting nowhere with this so I'm going to leave it there, you have dealt with this terribly though.

Well, great, that's useful. The feedback I'm getting here is that I made three wrong choices and got the worst outcome. The problem with that was that the game, at no point, communicated no advice on what the "right" choices would be. How should I talk to him? What does he want to/not want to hear? In real life you would obviously know the player the better and can make these decisions easier, but in game personality amounts to a single word description. What is a "balanced" personality? How do you deal with those type of personalities? And so on.

To muddle this further, when I go into the player's happiness page, he has "Feels the manager deserves even more support from the dressing room" listen in the positives. Yet he's just gone and complained to everyone because of one bad conversation! 

So there are two big issues for me. The first is the randomness of every conversation. I'm not looking to be correct every time, but there's not information in the game that I can use to inform my conversation choices. The second is the language, which is often times unnecessarily confrontational and is used by all players, regardless of personality. 

5 hours ago, JEinchy said:

In real life you would obviously know the player the better and can make these decisions easier, but in game personality amounts to a single word description. What is a "balanced" personality? How do you deal with those type of personalities? 

A balanced "personality" is basically he doesn't have a high enough value in something like "ambition" or "loyalty" for a more inventive name, and if he's a real player they don't want to give his personality an insulting label like "mercenary" or "spineless". To put things into perspective, Balotelli has been "balanced" in some editions of FM...

Of course, the fact that SI can't actually disclose much about the personality attributes they're giving the players, many of which are random anyway, is another reason for not overcomplicating player interactions

-

And yeah, the weird "supports the manager" stuff regularly contradicting their stated relationship with you and their behaviour doesn't help...

This may be the wrong thread as it is mostly complaints, but just wanted to say I am really enjoying this version of the game. I've played off and on since I think CM'02 and I think the intricacy in this is the best I've experienced. I know the ME video isn't always the most realistic looking, but I've always understood it to be an artist's rendering of sorts. Doesn't need to be perfect.

Thanks for many many hours (and counting) of great fun.

7 hours ago, PulpoCris said:

Hello everybody! I play the FM 2019 and at the time of playing the 3D match, all the managers are bald. I tried in-game editor and didn't work.

Does the same thing happen to someone?

Thanks and regards 

D277DCCE-7FE0-435C-AB06-B46C2FB83AA5.png

The same is happening in my save.

Does anyone know how to stop the individual positional training for a player changing automagically on it's own? I've got the responsibility for training set as follows;

image.thumb.png.c026f94b27ae39dfbd9d73bd52478a85.png

Yet every few weeks I come back to my training screen, certain players are back set to 'nn - playing position';

image.thumb.png.c87873ef1a2f89cedf88231e6af49df8.png

I've got a theory (based on the players it keeps happening to) that it's a result of me using a couple of different formations and thus using my MC's in MC/DMC roles and wide players in both AML/R & ML/R positions, but can't understand/see why their training is being changed as part of that, unless it's being overridden by the actual match training/tactics program? If that's the case then i find it a little counter intuitive as I'm trying to train these guys to be able to play both roles effectively and the tactics are all in my 'wheel of three' etc? Is this a known issue/been reported before? Does anyone have a workaround?

>runs off to look at the bug forum/feature requests<

44 minutes ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Does anyone know how to stop the individual positional training for a player changing automagically on it's own? I've got the responsibility for training set as follows;

image.thumb.png.c026f94b27ae39dfbd9d73bd52478a85.png

Yet every few weeks I come back to my training screen, certain players are back set to 'nn - playing position';

image.thumb.png.c87873ef1a2f89cedf88231e6af49df8.png

I've got a theory (based on the players it keeps happening to) that it's a result of me using a couple of different formations and thus using my MC's in MC/DMC roles and wide players in both AML/R & ML/R positions, but can't understand/see why their training is being changed as part of that, unless it's being overridden by the actual match training/tactics program? If that's the case then i find it a little counter intuitive as I'm trying to train these guys to be able to play both roles effectively and the tactics are all in my 'wheel of three' etc? Is this a known issue/been reported before? Does anyone have a workaround?

>runs off to look at the bug forum/feature requests<

Create a bug report and post it in that thread, should never happen like that

19 minutes ago, Amarante said:

For those complaining about Injuries united just got 3 players injured in the first half of the match against liverpool. I guess FM ain't so unrealistic now 

It’s one game.

To use that game as an example would be as stupid as using one game without any injuries as an example.

59 minutes ago, iMan said:

It’s one game.

To use that game as an example would be as stupid as using one game without any injuries as an example.

They also had Matic and Martial injured

Edited by jc1

Hi,

I would like to ask if you can manage an U20 national team.
I have been applied for U20 job as manager, but not a word over a month now.
Position has not been taken from other manager, yet.

Continental Pro License
4 Star

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Amarante said:

For those complaining about Injuries united just got 3 players injured in the first half of the match against liverpool. I guess FM ain't so unrealistic now 

I had 6 players with food poison, month was March.
Three of them was in DL position. My first team, back up and a youngster.
That was two days before a league match.
I ended up to use a DR in DL position.

1 hour ago, Cadoni said:

I had 6 players with food poison, month was March.
Three of them was in DL position. My first team, back up and a youngster.
That was two days before a league match.
I ended up to use a DR in DL position.

Fire the cook!

14 hours ago, iMan said:

It’s one game.

100% true that. If FM though were to generally ever simulate things in a "realistic" way on any release, the injury/shot conversion streaks alone would cause these forums to explode. Trust me on that one. :D Football Management can be one hell of a frustrating thing -- the real one that is. SI must be aware of such, hence the significant headroom in testing in terms of injuries every season in general. The downside to this tends to be that the game tends to be a tad more predictable than real football ever much is. The probabilties for actual **** occuring despite the manager not doing greatly bonkers on FM are traditionally usually very very low. And from my viewpoint, that's not at all defending the game -- as a part of football's inherentn charm tends to be that it's quite a bonkers Sports in big parts thanks to ist quite bonkers rules (men kicking a ball About with their feet and head of all Things, think About it). :D 

Edited by Svenc

Il ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 in 01:55 , JohnShaft ha scritto:

Both of those screenshots are crazy. And the wide players left in acres of space is something I see game-in, game-out.

This is an issue I think that is fundamental to why Attacking is so terrible. And yet I don't think I've ever seen the specifics of it pointed out.

Simply: Fullback's Defensive Positioning is truly awful. The narrowness with which they often defend - even if you have Defensive Width to wide - is just egregiously wrong. They defend like they're wide CB's in a back 3. They typically defend ridicously narrow, leaving wingers/wide-midfielders in acres of space out wide. Which causes the ball to constantly get funnelled out wide. At which point they have to race out to close him down (which for some bizarre reason they don't seem to do until he's received the ball, rather than when the pass is obviously being played to him).

This happens on all setting. Defend Wide. Tight Marking. Hell it can even happen if you set them to specifically man mark the winger.

This is exacerbated, and hidden by the following issue:

The number of blocked shots and crosses is ridiculous -  again no matter if you have "Work Ball into Box". This comes down to Attackers not being coded smart enough. Run a subroutine through their head - weighted by their decisions -  on the likelihood their shot/cross will be blocked. The more likely they think it will be blocked the less likely they should be to shoot/cross. Now I'm sure it probably works this way anway - and always has. But clearly in this iteration of FM there is something seriously wrong with this processing. Which is a significant part of why you get game after game of this nonsense, and such a lack of efficiency in attacking.

I had a game yesterday where my team -  despite Work Ball Into Box - had THREE blocked crosses in the space of less than 5 seconds. Just crazy.

How many times does this passage of play happen: Fullbacks too narrow, ball gets played out wide, Winger makes a stupid decision to cross with a Defender too close, cross gets blocked. Repeat, ad infinitum. Or, ball gets funnelled into the middle, Attacker thinks he has more space than he has, shoots from range, blocked. Repeat...

It's like the "Work Ball into Box" is broken.

There's so many things wrong with the ME it's beyond reporting.

I seriously see things that are straight broken that I've never see mentioned, because we're all consumed with the other 93 more serious issues were currently discussing.

I'll give you one of the top of my head that I see constantly - in fact it just happened, and I've paused the game:

After the keeper pushes the ball wide, the Attacker gets to the ball first, typically back or side-on to goal, and they just literally stand there with the ball, waiting for a Defender to come tackle them. I've seen this dozens of times in this years FM and probably never in real life. It's so obvious, that I know what's going to happen as soon as I realise the Attacker is going to get to the ball first.

In 20 years I have seriously never seen the match engine in such shambles. And this last beta patch seriously did nothing for me. I'm frankly shocked at the failure, and lack of expediency/ability in sorting it out. Can't see me ever buying FM again unless my faith is somehow restored in this version.

and something about the ridicolous amount of FK and set pieces goals? I've not read all the posts before, but I'm sure it's a known issue...4 months after the launch of the game, and still here to wait a good update...

On 24/02/2019 at 15:51, Amarante said:

How often does that happen irl?

SI should aim for less injuries in FM than irl if anything. Other destructive things like doping & match fixing aren't in the game for a reason.

How entertaining are the last stages of the CL if Ronaldo, Messi & Neymar are all out injured?

Edited by ottey_swe

3 minutes ago, ottey_swe said:

How often does that happen irl?

SI should aim for less injuries in FM than irl if anything. Other destructive things like doping & match fixing aren't in the game for a reason.

It's already lower than RL.

Yeah, it's been like from the day FM19 launched- it hasn't taken half a dozen hotfixes to get it right other than for a small minority. SI altered their policy whereby they've had a team working on stability in an ongoing testing fashion this time (see the public beta sticky thread) and its made all the difference.

Edited by phnompenhandy

I know this isn't strictly the correct place to ask, but I can't see/don't know of a general 'ask simple questions here' thread and creating a new one seems incredibly overkill;

Does anyone know of a way/screen/view you can customise to see at a glance the progress/time left players in your team have in terms of gaining secondary nationality? The one for homegrown status is right there as default, but I can't find anything for nationality; in a post-brexit UK save it'd be incredibly handy when planning for the coming seasons and having to juggle players around the deceptively restrictive restrictions... Naturally I can look player by player, but with 20-35 players that can get mildly tedious! :) 

14 минут назад, optimusprimal82 сказал:

I know this isn't strictly the correct place to ask, but I can't see/don't know of a general 'ask simple questions here' thread and creating a new one seems incredibly overkill;

Does anyone know of a way/screen/view you can customise to see at a glance the progress/time left players in your team have in terms of gaining secondary nationality? The one for homegrown status is right there as default, but I can't find anything for nationality; in a post-brexit UK save it'd be incredibly handy when planning for the coming seasons and having to juggle players around the deceptively restrictive restrictions... Naturally I can look player by player, but with 20-35 players that can get mildly tedious! :) 

Hi mate! If I understand you, this widget placed in the same place as always :)

1003037015_Image2.thumb.png.a80e69466a737ae23bc4b3c2a5473873.png

But some players have this timer, some don't. Not sure why

Thanks, but that's the view I'm using now, ideally i'm looking for somewhere I can view the entire squad status at a glance though like the home-grown one? I can see there isn't a view by default, nor can I see an attribute I can add to a customised one, just wondering if anyone knew/knows of a way - or even a skin - to do it?

image.thumb.png.55ec071dc9c9c3519451c837eb3dcb92.png

I think the ones that don't likely already have a secondary nationality?

Edited by optimusprimal82

7 hours ago, wateronglass said:

No, not sarcasm. In 540 hours of FM19 I've had absolutely no crashes and don't feel it ever will, whereas in previous iterations I would have had about 10 in the same time. Give those coders a raise and keep up the good work! :applause:

Ive played FM for 10 years and I can honestly say Ive had no more than 10 crashes in all those years

Edited by Gorando

Why is HSV board so cheap? I'm in the season 2022/23, and we managed to qualify for the CL football. In the beginning of the game HSV has some big debts but all of them are paid by this point, there is only one left ant it's just 240k per month which is easily manageable. I have 120mil in the bank, wages under control below the budget, and still my transfer budget for the season is only 25mil euros?? We have a 57000 stadium with average attendance at almost full house, I'm getting tired of this to be honest. Every season 20mil transfer budget, and it was fine because we didn't really have that much cash and were not playing in the CL but now this, with big stadium, very small debt, and 100mil in the bank and still only 25mil for new players?

And, the option to ask for more money is not there also. It's quite demotivating not being able to strenghten the squad properly knownig there is lots of cash just sitting in the balance for no reason.

2 часа назад, luka_ сказал:

Why is HSV board so cheap? I'm in the season 2022/23, and we managed to qualify for the CL football. In the beginning of the game HSV has some big debts but all of them are paid by this point, there is only one left ant it's just 240k per month which is easily manageable. I have 120mil in the bank, wages under control below the budget, and still my transfer budget for the season is only 25mil euros?? We have a 57000 stadium with average attendance at almost full house, I'm getting tired of this to be honest. Every season 20mil transfer budget, and it was fine because we didn't really have that much cash and were not playing in the CL but now this, with big stadium, very small debt, and 100mil in the bank and still only 25mil for new players?

And, the option to ask for more money is not there also. It's quite demotivating not being able to strenghten the squad properly knownig there is lots of cash just sitting in the balance for no reason.

Im not sure about FM19, but HSV Board in FM18 had a resources 1/20 (or 4/20, which is not much better). So club's owner dont want to spend money

Edited by Novem9

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Winter Transfer Update out now. All the details including a changelist can be found here:

Very excited about this, been holding off continuing my save until now.

Is there going to be (or is there) a full changelist published somewhere?