Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minuti fa, derTuchel ha scritto:

I just finished a simulation of half a season with most leagues active and all matches on full detail so that I could randomly review highlights of any match played in any league. Sadly this confirmed my impressions from earlier saves. 95% of all goals result from crosses, set pieces or long range shots in this frequency order. Even teams such as Man City or Barcelona never play through opposition defenses. This simply seems to be nearly impossible due to bad striker movement and the player's bias to pass to wide positions as soon as they get close to the opposition's box. I imploringly hope this will be addressed in the next update. All strategies targeting to combine through the center are damned to fail, no matter how good the strategy or the individual players are. This strips the game of a big part of tactical possibilities.

could you back this up with actual numbers?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 18 Minuten schrieb MBarbaric:

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to systematically evaluate enough games to get statistically reliable numbers. I can, however, make the savegame available if someone wants to make the effort. But what I think I can tell by random sampling is that the variability of the goals seems to vary from league to league (or country to country?). While the goals in the English Premier League, for example, are slightly more balanced, the situations leading to goals in the German Bundesliga are particularly monotonous (like described crosses, standards and long range shots).

6 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

I would love to see the save as I'm honestly a little confused as to how we can have a percentage  figure without having figures to hand as you'd need to know total numbers of goals scored and goals scored from various outputs 

6 minutes ago, Mitja said:

There's much more than just bad striker movement and lack of central play unfortunately. Realising how long it can take to fix something as basic as player's dropping deep I doubt we can expect major changes which will improve the above mentioned issue. The crossing issue has been in the game since FM16 where we thought 40 or 50 attempts was unrealistic, latest ME can produce more than 100 in AI vs AI games.

I really don't know where things went wrong FM17 had fantastic ME which needed only small tweaks. Tactics produced realistic football, instructions actually did what they had to, player quality was more realistic...

With respect, you have no idea what's coming in the patch, so I would refrain from telling anyone what to expect or not expect as it's not backed up by more than gut feeling, somewhat tantamount to misinformation 

6 minutes ago, Mitja said:

I think I gave very solid reasoning for expressing my opinion and doubts. Of course I hope SI team can prove me wrong and I wish nothing but best to them.

Something taking time does mean it won't happen. It's not the most solid reasoning, and it's not backed up by reasonable evidence (ie any SI input, who are the only people who can tell you what's coming) so again please do put out misinformation 

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Something taking time does mean it won't happen. It's not the most solid reasoning, and it's not backed up by reasonable evidence (ie any SI input, who are the only people who can tell you what's coming) so again please do put out misinformation 

We are waiting since FM16 for simple crossing issue to be improved and with latest ME things got much worse, if that's not solid evidence I don't know what is. And that's just one example. 

12 minutes ago, Mitja said:

We are waiting since FM16 for simple crossing issue to be improved and with latest ME things got much worse, if that's not solid evidence I don't know what is. And that's just one example. 

There seems to be some confusion here. I'm saying: do not put out misinformation about future updates, its not a debate about whether you should, it's a request not to. It makes life much harder for SI staff and moderators having to chase down myths. You do not know what's in any upcoming update, that's an undeniable fact. So refrain from doing so. 

10 hours ago, chad2192 said:

I'm playing as Man Utd and have Rashford up front and also noticing a lack of goals from the striker.

Welcome to the madhouse! Rashford usually takes a while - even 15-20 games - to get into gear but he'll eventually become one of the best in the game.

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, Mitja said:

The crossing issue has been in the game since FM16 where we thought 40 or 50 attempts was unrealistic

In the EPL 17/18 season (using our definition of a cross), there was an average of 68.5 crosses per match. The current ME has 71 crosses per match, which is pretty accurate. However, if you think there's an issue with crossing then feel free to raise it on the ME bugs forum with evidence.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb themadsheep2001:

I would love to see the save as I'm honestly a little confused as to how we can have a percentage  figure without having figures to hand as you'd need to know total numbers of goals scored and goals scored from various outputs 

Yes that was just a very rough estimation based on very few random samples. I should have made that clear in the first point. But the tendency is definitely there. I will share the save game in the evening. This might be a little bit late to include this statistics into the development of the current match engine but I'm happy to see that SI seem to be aware of the issue according to the bugs section of the forum. I'm a bit confused however how the developers can claim this being the beste match engine to date when complete tactics like attacking play through the center seem to be broken.

12 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

In the EPL 17/18 season (using our definition of a cross), there was an average of 68.5 crosses per match. The current ME has 71 crosses per match, which is pretty accurate. However, if you think there's an issue with crossing then feel free to raise it on the ME bugs forum with evidence.

I have no idea where you guys got 68 crosses per match and this issue has been discussed to death I have no intention going through that all over again. 1,2 crosses per minute of active play? No way. 

• SI Staff
8 minutes ago, Mitja said:

I have no idea where you guys got 68 crosses per match and this issue has been discussed to death I have no intention going through that all over again. 1,2 crosses per minute of active play? No way. 

This includes set pieces.

17 minutes ago, jc1 said:

I would suspect that anyone complaining of too many crosses in game will not be adding set pieces to their gripe.

For comparison K. Trippier has 7 crossing attempts, 2 of them are successful. L. Digne has 8,5. T. Alexander Arnold has 5,8.

Edited by Mitja

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Mitja:

I really don't know where things went wrong FM17 had fantastic ME which needed only small tweaks. Tactics produced realistic football, instructions actually did what they had to, player quality was more realistic...

Wasn't that the version where your wide midfielders/wingers were always sticking to the sideline no matter what instructions they had making it impossible to have a solid defensive structure in the center and the half spaces? That has not been fixed until FM18 because it was a huge issue causing many problems in balancing. I wouldn't call that "only small tweaks".

Every version has one or two pretty unrealistic or too extensive patterns in the match engine which are clearly used as stopgaps to get the overall balancing right. I can't really blame SI on that because I know how hard it is. Nevertheless I dream of a future version where they get balancing right without having to use such ugly stopgaps at some point.

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, derTuchel said:

Wasn't that the version where your wide midfielders/wingers were always sticking to the sideline no matter what instructions they had making it impossible to have a solid defensive structure in the center and the half spaces? That has not been fixed until FM18 because it was a huge issue causing many problems in balancing. I wouldn't call that "only small tweaks".

Every version has one or two pretty unrealistic or too extensive patterns in the match engine which are clearly used as stopgaps to get the overall balancing right. I can't really blame SI on that because I know how hard it is. Nevertheless I dream of a future version where they get balancing right without having to use such ugly stopgaps at some point.

I dream of that too.

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Welcome to the madhouse! Rashford usually takes a while - even 15-20 games - to get into gear but he'll eventually become one of the best in the game.

Thanks! I've got him set as a PF(attack), you reckon that's a good role for him to be in? He was an AF but just wasn't doing it for me.

47 minutes ago, chad2192 said:

I've got him set as a PF(attack), you reckon that's a good role for him to be in?

Depends on the rest of your setup, really. A lot of us are struggling to get lone strikers scoring much this year, but I've had success with a DLF-A or AF. Check out the tactics forum if you need specific advice.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Depends on the rest of your setup, really. A lot of us are struggling to get lone strikers scoring much this year, but I've had success with a DLF-A or AF. Check out the tactics forum if you need specific advice.

I've tried 3-4 tactics with this ME and when I play a lone striker with 2-3 attacking mids, the midfielders score the majority of the goals, as soon as I play a 2 striker set up, hey presto the strikers start to score more. If you want to get more movement from your forwards you have to have two IF's and a central striker, this allows winbacks to overlap and you get more movement from front 3 similar to Liverpool and Man City.

I also notice on the tactic sharing thread the majority of tactics using a lone striker has him as a F9, so basically a deeper forward similar to an attack mid.

Edited by jc1

Just now, jc1 said:

I've tried 3-4 tactics with this ME and when I play a lone striker with 2-3 attacking mids, the midfielders score the majority of the goals, as soon as I play a 2 striker set up, hey presto the strikers start to score more. If you want to get more movement from your forwards you have to have two IF's and a central striker, this allows winbacks to overlap and you get more movement from front 3 similar to Liverpool and Man City.

I do though.

Martial on the left playing IF(A) and Lingard on the right playing IF (A). Fullbacks set to overlap, with shaw and young playing WB(S) roles

4 hours ago, Mitja said:

In the ME beta forum I have uploaded Pkms where fullbacks alone have more than 50 crossing attempts all from open play. Fullbacks of one team. Too attacking mentality?

As i wrote in my thread about crossing, for me the most annoying issue is the amount of crosses that are blocked. 

14 minutes ago, szp said:

As i wrote in my thread about crossing, for me the most annoying issue is the amount of crosses that are blocked. 

Yea, blocked crosses and shots. Players absolutely do not try to maneuver in tights spaces, even world class dribblers just stand for a second and then shoot against the defender, rinse and repeat.

Also, I never see strikers go round the keeper or lob the ball. Even players with these PPMs never do it. All players just close their eyes and hope for the best. This needs significant improvement. The question is, how come that ten years ago, you saw this in FM all the time and now, when the game´s engine is far more sophisticated, the decision-making is atrocious.

I've seen lobs and dribbles past the keeper in the previous ME, 19.1. In 19.2 the goals scored by the strikers are more limited in variation from what i played. I hope that 19.3 is closer to 19.1 than 19.2 in this aspect.

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

I've seen lobs and dribbles past the keeper in the previous ME, 19.1. In 19.2 the goals scored by the strikers are more limited in variation from what i played. I hope that 19.3 is closer to 19.1 than 19.2 in this aspect.

I'm still seeing lobs and dribbles tbf. Martial is a freaking joy to watch. Sanchez not so much...

I don't have a problem with crosses. Like i stated with the beta FM definition of crossing is a pass across the box, set pieces, cutbacks and your normal cross. What the problem is though is that too many crosses are blocked and SI have stated that they are aware and is working on it. That aside crossing ain't really that big of a deal. 

The real culprit is lack of ground passes to strikers hence why strikers or Lone forwards aren't scoring as much. Especially when you set up your midfield to be a provider and they end up scoring more than your forward lol. 

4 hours ago, chad2192 said:

I do though.

Martial on the left playing IF(A) and Lingard on the right playing IF (A). Fullbacks set to overlap, with shaw and young playing WB(S) roles

And is it working for you?

Reading through the recent comments, I'm both relieved and disappointed to see others having the same issues as me, suggesting that it's pretty big/common.

Reluctance to pass through the middle:

I just watched far too much of a match where I was getting very frustrated at my players for refusing to play obvious passes through the middle. The defense and 2 CMs would knock passes around about half way, ignoring clear options to pass centrally and progress forward, before the CB inexplicably lumps it forward to absolutely no one, not even close.

No central through balls:

I've been trying to figure out how to create through balls for my striker. No success despite various attempts. Even when the striker has a yard of space for the pass to be played down the side of the defender, it is ignored and goes wide instead. Some are saying it is poor movement, which is probably contributing, but the AI are plainly ignoring them. Plus, no matter what duty I give the striker they're so un-involved in the match.

Needlessly "clearing" the ball when they could easily keep it, not under any real pressure: It's just a lack of awareness of the situation.

It's a shame because it is now ruining all enjoyment when I was really getting into the game. The beauty of the series is responsiveness to tactics, but when a style of play, or common passing options, are currently ruled out, that's not fun. For a few years I've had an unwelcome amount of goals resulting from crosses, which I blamed at least partly on my tactics, but this year at least it's to do with the ME.  I remember a few years ago when "play through the defense" was a beautiful tactical option that suited my style really well.

In over 20 years of playing this beautiful series, the AI are more defensive, in all kinds of situations, than I can remember and being unable to get my team to at least attempt to play as I wish sucks away the purpose of playing until the ME is improved.

Hopefully it will be in a while :)  

Edited by Jay-Eff

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I'm still seeing lobs and dribbles tbf. Martial is a freaking joy to watch. Sanchez not so much...

As I said in Hernes possesion thread, I want to kick him in his little Chilean nuts after watching him run into defender after defender, even after I give him instructions not too. Grr.

9 hours ago, derTuchel said:

Referring to your top paragraph, no. It was at first with their first official update but the 2 after it was certainly covered. I got back to 17 of the poor excuse of what 19 is (not to offend anyone) and it's alot more balanced and certainly the best ME within the last 6/7 years. I've got sanchez playing as a winger support on that right side and puts in more tackles than any attacking outlet. Also it would depend on your formation/tactic, 4-3-3 with a DM and a BW/BBM will sort that middle issue out and playing narrow will sort your half spaces out. 

Both players and backroom staff learn new languages ridiculously quickly. The club pays 10-20k for a language course and any player gains good or fluent proficiency in a matter of months, starting from scratch that is.

Despite what some apps will tell you, in real life it's incredibly difficult to gain fluency in a foreign language. A few months should get you to basic or good at most when the languages are related. That is, if the player bothers learning the language at all. Fluency, just like natural in a new position, should be a matter of years and be the exception not the rule.

I see this as part of a wider problem, that it's still too easy and painless to make sweeping changes to the squad or backroom staff. Of course, there are multiple reasons for that, but making learning new languages more akin to real life would be a step in the right direction.

Edited by SD

18 minuti fa, SD ha scritto:

Both players and backroom staff learn new languages ridiculously quickly. The club pays 10-20k for a language course and any player gains good or fluent proficiency in a matter of months, starting from scratch that is.

Despite what some apps will tell you, in real life it's incredibly difficult to gain fluency in a foreign language. A few months should get you to basic or good at most when the languages are related. That is, if the player bothers learning the language at all. Fluency, just like natural in a new position, should be a matter of years and be the exception not the rule

it is far more complicated than that. different language groups are easier to pick-up. Italian-french-portuguese-spanish are all latin languages and a person that speaks italian will (usually) leatn a language within his group quicker than, i.e. a dutch speaker. On the other hand, Dutch speaker will have less trouble learning German, English... However, both these groups will easier learn languages between them (since they both have some similarities) but struggle equally at learning one of the slavic languages. 

however, once a player/staff member has learnt one language from different language group, he will have easier time learning the next.

so, maybe you had some germans learning english, or someone who already knew a similar language so it went smoother than you'd expect.

10 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

it is far more complicated than that. different language groups are easier to pick-up. Italian-french-portuguese-spanish are all latin languages and a person that speaks italian will (usually) leatn a language within his group quicker than, i.e. a dutch speaker. On the other hand, Dutch speaker will have less trouble learning German, English... However, both these groups will easier learn languages between them (since they both have some similarities) but struggle equally at learning one of the slavic languages. 

however, once a player/staff member has learnt one language from different language group, he will have easier time learning the next.

so, maybe you had some germans learning english, or someone who already knew a similar language so it went smoother than you'd expect.

It's not really a one off instance, it's something I noticed consistently across saves and in the 18 edition as well.

Your point about language groups is certainly a valid one, but what I'm arguing for is increasing learning time across the board. I personally feel that learning times are too short regardless if the personnel is German or Brazilian.

Hello lovely SI people, another one of my feedback nuggets for you to consider if you get a sec! :D

Been mentioned more than a few times in this thread but adding my voice to the crowd asking for players requesting new contracts to be toned down just a little?

Last season was my first in the prem so i expect players to ask for new deals to reflect the new status, I think it's natural that a few of them/my new signings asked for new deals at the end of that season too as we survived and they'd improved (some significantly) over the course of the season not to mention I expect the best few players to expect parity etc, what I don't expect is that - now in November in 2nd Prem season - my ML to AGAIN be 'starting to feel he deserves a new contract' as this will now be his FIFTH since we've been in the Premier League for less than two years?! He has improved tremendously so definitely justifies a higher wage than I signed him on, but it's the frequency that maybe needs adjusting, maybe if they wait a little longer/ask for a bit more it'd be more realistic? Would a player really go to a club so often irl with his hand out? Or would he sack his agent for not having the foresight to get him a better deal in the first place (and i know I can ask him to sack his agent but that's not the point). Bear in mind he's not the only one in the team consistently expecting new deals; he's by far the most frequent but - and yes i am keeping score on a notepad here on my desk - he's far from the only one with 3 other guys on 4 deals each too so sure they won't be far behind.

I'm happy to accept the realism vs fun argument, but atm I think we're just coming down on the side of unrealistic to the point it's a little frustrating - don't mind paying the money, just the 2-3 times a season across ten players negotiations etc that takes it's toll - actually think it may be down to rapidly changing player reps and my team's own rapidly changing rep? New training facilities may be to blame/help explain the players rapid improvement (along with the higher standard of football) too?

Thanks all! :)

21 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

With respect, you have no idea what's coming in the patch, so I would refrain from telling anyone what to expect or not expect as it's not backed up by more than gut feeling, somewhat tantamount to misinformation 

2 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Been mentioned more than a few times in this thread but adding my voice to the crowd asking for players requesting new contracts to be toned down just a little?

Didn't want to quote the entire post. It was reported before and an adjustment was made. If you're still finding cases of players asking for new deals too soon, please report it. I suspect a save from just before the complaint will be very handy as well.

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Didn't want to quote the entire post. It was reported before and an adjustment was made. If you're still finding cases of players asking for new deals too soon, please report it. I suspect a save from just before the complaint will be very handy as well.

Hadn't realised it had already been adjusted - wonder if the changes affected all saves or only new ones etc?

Irrespective, if improved, it hasn't made too much of a difference to my save, had another five requests since I wrote my post across maybe 90 minutes of playing - this one takes the biscuit; signed in the summer as a rotation player - actually paid in the top 25% of my guys - waited for him to learn basic English before playing him (hence U23 games) but got injured and been out for the last 3 months, 2 days after regaining fitness? A new contract for what - healing well?! :D

image.thumb.png.cc5397490ff4c51db0effa79812fcaa2.png

Will head on across to the report-y forum and see what occurs over there unless Seb/Jack can give a heads up in the interim. If it's for specific weird cases of regular promotions/rapid rep rises like my situation then may be isolated, but I asked on one of the FM discords this morning and others said it was still a bit high etc.

1 minute ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Hadn't realised it had already been adjusted - wonder if the changes affected all saves or only new ones etc?

Irrespective, if improved, it hasn't made too much of a difference to my save, had another five requests since I wrote my post across maybe 90 minutes of playing - this one takes the biscuit; signed in the summer as a rotation player - actually paid in the top 25% of my guys - waited for him to learn basic English before playing him (hence U23 games) but got injured and been out for the last 3 months, 2 days after regaining fitness? A new contract for what - healing well?! :D

image.thumb.png.cc5397490ff4c51db0effa79812fcaa2.png

Will head on across to the report-y forum and see what occurs over there unless Seb/Jack can give a heads up in the interim. If it's for specific weird cases of regular promotions/rapid rep rises like my situation then may be isolated, but I asked on one of the FM discords this morning and others said it was still a bit high etc.

See here : 

2 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Thank you sir! :)

Aaaaaand done. Sadly when i dug a bit more into my save to provide more info it seems there's another 4 -5 players about to come at me with pitchforks!! :eek:

if it is just a Pre concern, feel free to ignore it. I gave Mata a new contract in the Summer of my first season, mostly to keep his value up, and he has had a pre concern for months that he might need a new contract. Nothing has happened so far, he might chance his arm at the end of the year but will get a stiff ignoring.

Contract demands are ridiculous even after the alleged tweak. 3 months after signing a nice contract the players comes again and guess what. We do not knot what is going on behind closed doors at clubs but I refuse to believe that managers need to lock themselves in their offices to escape from all those guys wanting improved deals.

Also, I see a lot of suspicious transfers. In my safe, Hazard went to Liverpool. Seriously? Mourinho is in charge of Arsenal, Man City and Man United are selling players to each other etc. ( I need to edit this before someone tells me it happens - these teams in 3 seasons exchanged 5 players, and good ones, home grown players! Lingard for example. Seems a bit too much).

Its also interesting how a world class player gets unsettled when a SMALLER team wants his services. My example: I manage Real Madrid and have a great MC in my team. I have won 3 La liga titles in row, 2 out of 3 UCL and every other trophy available, breaking all sorts of records. Now Tottenham bid 30 million. Ridiculously low and I reject. But the player is unhappy that I did not allow him to speak to the club as it would be a great opportunity for his career and nnow refuses to sign a new contract:-DD TOTTENHAM? They are not even in Champions League, have finished 6, 7 and 7. Had the same thing happen with a centre back and a full back.

AI´s squad building skills are still far from good. I see teams such as barcelona playing 35 year old strikers with no competent alternatives but they are stacking full backs and defenders. PSG offered me 100 million for 30 year old Carvajal.

Edited by Martin#

I'm in a good mood and want to answer in graphics :D 

2 часа назад, Martin# сказал:

Also, I see a lot of suspicious transfers. In my safe, Hazard went to Liverpool. Seriously?

Robin%20van%20Persie

Mourinho is in charge of Arsenal

article-2237017-162AE241000005DC-289_634x423.jpg

Man City and Man United are selling players to each other etc. ( I need to edit this before someone tells me it happens - these teams in 3 seasons exchanged 5 players, and good ones, home grown players! Lingard for example. Seems a bit too much).

Well you confirmed it happened before. Imho Ashley Cole moved from Arsenal to Chelsea more loud transfer in compare of possible transfer Lingaard to MC

I have a skepticism about some FM events, but stopped after that IRL happens a similar, sometimes exactly the same, like Higuain moved from Juventus in FM18.

I sat in front of the screen and said 'COMMON! THIS NEVER HAPPENED LIKE THIS! THEY BOUGHT HIM BY 96 MLN!'

pp,550x550.u1.jpg

Цитата

Its also interesting how a world class player gets unsettled when a SMALLER team wants his services. My example: I manage Real Madrid and have a great MC in my team. I have won 3 La liga titles in row, 2 out of 3 UCL and every other trophy available, breaking all sorts of records. Now Tottenham bid 30 million. Ridiculously low and I reject. But the player is unhappy that I did not allow him to speak to the club as it would be a great opportunity for his career and nnow refuses to sign a new contract:-DD TOTTENHAM? They are not even in Champions League, have finished 6, 7 and 7. Had the same thing happen with a centre back and a full back.

AI´s squad building skills are still far from good. I see teams such as barcelona playing 35 year old strikers with no competent alternatives but they are stacking full backs and defenders. PSG offered me 100 million for 30 year old Carvajal.

Unfortunatelly these issues still happen. Your best decision is share save to cloud and describe this for QA. 

I wrote about few transfer issues in past and they are improved in last editions :thup:

Edited by Novem9