Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, thejay said:

It's not negativity when people actually point out really evident issues with the game. 

What does your post contribute? 

It's just a game and we are not allowed to care about it? 

Why do you think it sells so well? 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he shared his opinion which if you read says he enjoys the edition. Are you suggesting that the only people who should be posting are those that have issues with the game? This is a first impressions thread and that was an impression of the game. At least he's on topic.

This is a first impressions thread, if you have issues with the game, stop complaining and do something about it. A post in the bugs forum does not imply that it isn't being read, the devs do read the threads. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Rashidi:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and he shared his opinion which if you read says he enjoys the edition. Are you suggesting that the only people who should be posting are those that have issues with the game? This is a first impressions thread and that was an impression of the game. At least he's on topic.

This is a first impressions thread, if you have issues with the game, stop complaining and do something about it. A post in the bugs forum does not imply that it isn't being read, the devs do read the threads. 

No, but does sharing his opinion also entail   ridiculing and dismissing opinions of others? 

If yes then this thread has different standards than I anticipated 

Because this is an opinion thread people share their opinion also if its negative, or is it only a positive opinion thread and the negativ stuff has to be hidden away?

1 hour ago, fidelitywars said:

The point is that contrary to what you say, as things stand, we've had 0 hours of enjoyment and several wasted hours of frustration.

Speak for yourself, I have had hundred's of hours enjoyment & no hours of frustration. You know why? Because I treat it as a game, not like real life as it seems you must do along with many others in this thread who are incessantly moaning, picking faults with the game at this early stage of release.

Out the box this must & IMO is the best game there has been on any FM series by far, yet still some find the need to criticise.  

As Alexander O'Neal once famously sang in Criticize 'Can't you find something else to talk about?

1 minute ago, thejay said:

No, but does sharing his opinion also entail   ridiculing and dismissing opinions of others? 

If yes then this thread has different standards than I anticipated 

Because this is an opinion thread people share their opinion also if its negative, or is it only a positive opinion thread and the negativ stuff has to be hidden away?

Alright this is a warning, he shared an opinion much like the others did. We have had negative and positive opinions and we have sarcastic opinions. Either stay on topic or face the consequences your choice.

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

Like I said before, stay on topic. If its a positive or negative opinion of the game, then post it. If you want to just come here to whine, then don't.

On the above, I've removed a bunch of posts for not following the above. We're asked several times, infractions follow now 

2 hours ago, Svenc said:

Yees, BUT IT NEVER HAPPENS TO THE SAME TEAM! Except it absolutely does. Ask Zidane last term, Klopp about his last season at Dortmund, Conte in 2015, Wenger when he lost the title race to Leicester, every single opposition of Burnley last term....... and that despite all of those managers managing space on their pitches, and players, and circumstance, rather than the most simplistic numbers on a spreadsheet. Frankly, with any should simplistic outlook on football, it should happen far more often to such players as it usually does. Which is, typically not that often. This is where aforementioned confirmation bias kicks in. If Guardiola had taken a look at all the matches he at all conceded last term, even he would have found that his opposition would have scored from few shots, including 3 shots off 4 against United. However, he didn't concede in all matches, despite his fairly aggressive style of football. Considering he barely conceded 6 shots average, that is only to be expected. Unless SI code an ME where it is possible to go a season without conceding shots, you will concede goals. It doesn't matter when and from where, as each one is a chance of hitting the back of the net.

Perfectly captures the reason why I've written my post from yesterday, suggesting in-game feedback that would mock users who gawk at nothing but final match stats rather than supporting them in doing so (the final match reports as of FM are based on FM's statistics and suggest similar -- if a team had more shots it was "unlucky", which is neither football nor the ME). Whilst it is 100% viable to primarily have an emotional interest into football -- that still doesn't detract from the fact that the average football discussion on your average FM board makes puppies weep.

The worst thing is that all this "cheating AI" nonsenes typically distracts from actually issues. F'r instanced, often times such players have a point, even though it's not what they think it usually is. AI going too rigidly defensive too readily, pitches that can be controlled too easily even with below average sides against superior ones; maybe even that ball over the top being a tad too efficient depending on the release etc.  On the occasion, it may be even a marking bug triggered. It also typically distracts from the fact that top teams managed by AI oft face similar issues, as they face defensive opposition every week likewise -- who could be more comptetitive with somewhat more logical match management that wouldn't make them drop the few additionally points. All of which FM's simplistic stats won't reveal.

Even with more advanced stats, managing numbers still ain't managing. Football and the ME and the AI does not agree, sorry. edit: And SI may well realize that even at the current level AI, it has an edge over most of its playerbase in that way. Even though it only shows in the odd match or two. In other words, would it improve, the perception of the game being inherently "unfair" would only grow stronger. It's time to get rid of the notion that having more shots/possession was inherently in any kind of way managing. Or that havin g umpteenth more shots was inherently dominating anything (the CCC stats was set out to solve some of this a decade ago, but it can't work much the same way for both obvious and not that obvious reasons).

The game really needs some sort of xG model. It's been used by analysts for a long time and is now commonly used in punditry. Counting shots, as you point out, can be mis-leading and the 'half chance' 'clear cut chance' totals are vague and seem slightly random at times.

All shots in the game are mapped so some basic xG forumula shouldn't be difficult to implement. This could then lead to a (much needed) revamp of th analysis features whch currently is a bit of a token IMO.

11 minutes ago, It's Baggio said:

The game really needs some sort of xG model

Im not personally opposed to the model, but it wont really change anything, still relying on what the ME calculates a chance to be and how good the chance was etc. And then peoples perception and use of that information. 

Plus IRL Arsenal xG shows we are worse at both ends this season compared to last... [context i worship Wenger, no other Arsenal fans in the Arsenal otf thread seem to] i posted that to show Emery has effectively been pretty lucky, not only in terms of the teams they have played, but the manner in which we have played (created less chances, conceded more chances than last season)... It was instantly dismissed as "xG analysis doesnt mean anything" 

Edited by westy8chimp

9 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Im not personally opposed to the model, but it wont really change anything, still relying on what the ME calculates a chance to be and how good the chance was etc. And then peoples perception and use of that information.

At least xG has context though, what with it being based on actual shot data. Plus it's actually quantifiable, what constitutes a 'clear cut chance' in the current set up? 50% chance of scoring? More? Less?

Bit late to the party but I've finally resolved my purchasing problems and finally played a few games. Reading this thread I was feeling quite pessimistic and worried booting up the game, coming into FM19 with such high hopes and wondering if I needed to wait for a patch to play. It may be early days but I'm enjoying the game so far. Some of the smaller UI and match changes like the curling ball (and I'm seeing more variation in things like the ball off the inside of the post and keeper following up the 2nd ball) are fantastic and make it feel like an improvement on FM18. Not to ignore some of the valid ME criticisms but I'm still able to enjoy it at the moment and not feeling any urgent need to revert to FM18.

So far, from what I’ve played, I’m enjoying FM19. I much prefer the purple skin than previous versions, you can tell it’s been UX tested. The game itself runs really smoothly through the menu’s and processing, even though my laptop isn’t the newest. The new features are working well, love the new training set up and how much control you can have with it, and the new mentoring makes absolute sense too. I’ve not delved hugely into the game because of the frame rate issue I have but I have been in far enough to play half a season and see what’s going on and get a feel for the game.

I only have a couple of gripes so far;

• Frame rate in the game stutters (I’ve raised this in the tech forum), on all camera angles except for Data Analyst, it was fine on Beta but on full release it stutters – hopefully this will be fixed in the next patch.

• I’m not a fan of the Bidstack adboards around the pitch, seeing Nicki Minaj adverts around the pitch on Champions League night is ruining the immersion for me.

Overall I’m happy, and once a patch is out, I’ll be starting a long term save and will no doubt enjoy it fully.

Edited by stevemc

I just played a game after a 2 week hiatus and man.... Even an English forth-tier team can defend vintage 2004 Otto Rehhagel style. Shots that should be falling in are missed sou you end up winning after a goal from a corner. I seriously cannot play this. You win but you have zero joy from it.

Also one possible bug: Before the beginning of the season I told my players we should qualify for the Champions League. 3 games before the end of the season I can already win the title if a win the next match. I tell my players we must win the next game and the entire squad is unhappy because I originally told them we should only qualify for the Champions League. These things really break immersion.

Given events elsewhere ... just wondering if the person who put Brexit into FM has resigned yet  :D

On topic:  This years ME is promising - balance was better in the beta, but it's clear that dialling the current incarnation back in that direction a couple of notches could give us something really good.  Playing FMT so haven't got the new training setup, which is a shame as it looks like a real improvement. I really like the splitting of tactical setup into phases - it helps you think more clearly about how you want your tactics to work.

Enjoying it so far, just need to see how things develop. Hopefully, the next ME release will nail it for this year.

On 13/11/2018 at 20:59, GerdMuller said:

What also is ridiculous is the lowball offers of the Ai, i am ot saying for players offered or listed but , i even like that you just cant list garbage and still profit, no its for top players, the AI makes 100 million tranfers all over the place whil when i sell a superstar it is always around 40 million max.

The 100 million transfers the AI makes are because it isn't daft enough to sell it's players for cheaper unless it has to. It works both ways. I've just signed Jayden Sancho for 30 million when he was valued at 25 million, not transfer listed, and my scouts said he would cost between 50-92 million. Because I didn't just start showing an interest in him when the transfer window opened. I worked on unsettling him for a good 6 months until it started getting reported that he was having arguments with his manager. Then I put in low offers starting at around 20 million and increasing very slightly each time. In the end they had to cave in because he was so unhappy that they were rejecting my bids. That's how it works when big teams show interest in players, both on the game and in real life. That's why players often get new contracts when another team shows an interest in them, to bribe them into staying and not being unhappy. So the fact that you're struggling to keep hold of a player when PSG come calling is extremely realistic. 

As for the issues with the ME, it seems most people think it's got worse since the BETA, when SI rushed out a hopeful fix. It's fair to suggest that that fix hasn't worked, and it should be reverted until an actual fix is found. Personally I don't care, I'm still playing the game. But with so much negative feedback compared to the few gripes when it was the BETA version, it's fair to say that most people think reverting until a true fix is found would be preferable to putting up with the current version.

27 minutes ago, szp said:

There are many issues in this ME, but 2 things are so annoying, that I don't have any joy from playing this game right now. First thing is crossing issue - my wide player, no matter what role, what duty (fullbacks, wingbacks, wingers, even complete forward) are trying to get to the goal line and cross the ball. And in most cases their cross is blocked by opponent. I'd expect that fullback on support duty will sometimes try to cross the ball straight after he receives it, without running forward or waiting for the opponent. EVERY game there are at least 6-7 situations like this.

Second thing is lack of movement of my offensive players. Again, no matter what role, what duty, they look like they're man-marking oppositions centre backs and fullbacks instead of make some moves to get the ball. 

The ME is promising but in current state I can't find any pleasure of playing this game. For me the worst ME in last couple of years...

I do still think this ME is a work of art (it has so much going for it) in need of its framing (balancing the issues you raise) .

But since we don't have solid information on the whereabouts of that frame or the estimated time of delivery, the work of art for now has been tucked away in a drawer.

The missed opportunities....

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Tom8983:

The 100 million transfers the AI makes are because it isn't daft enough to sell it's players for cheaper unless it has to. It works both ways. I've just signed Jayden Sancho for 30 million when he was valued at 25 million, not transfer listed, and my scouts said he would cost between 50-92 million. Because I didn't just start showing an interest in him when the transfer window opened. I worked on unsettling him for a good 6 months until it started getting reported that he was having arguments with his manager. Then I put in low offers starting at around 20 million and increasing very slightly each time. In the end they had to cave in because he was so unhappy that they were rejecting my bids. That's how it works when big teams show interest in players, both on the game and in real life. That's why players often get new contracts when another team shows an interest in them, to bribe them into staying and not being unhappy. So the fact that you're struggling to keep hold of a player when PSG come calling is extremely realistic. 

As for the issues with the ME, it seems most people think it's got worse since the BETA, when SI rushed out a hopeful fix. It's fair to suggest that that fix hasn't worked, and it should be reverted until an actual fix is found. Personally I don't care, I'm still playing the game. But with so much negative feedback compared to the few gripes when it was the BETA version, it's fair to say that most people think reverting until a true fix is found would be preferable to putting up with the current version.

Its all ok, i even hate all those huge transfer sums IRL, my problem just is that he game feels like no matter what you would NEVER get a transfer offer over 100mill, while among AI teams its rather common. Also if i have a young great player who is worth a lot normally , IRL the tactic is ti unsettle a guy, but still you will have to pay a fair compensation, making a player unsettled and then coming in with lowball offers, sell or gethim unhappy will not work THAT good IRL when its your standard tactic. Because at least theres always other teams Thats what is a problem all in all, if they unsetlle someone witha lowball bid, why not give me the option to say to the market, look what they did here, wouldnt you offer more at least`?

Edited by GerdMuller

34 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Defending is truly pathetic in this game, not only attacking.

My honest advice is that life is too short, so go and do something you enjoy. So many tiresome posts in this thread now, which add nothing to the feedback conversation.

After another 3 or so days cycle where I just give up on the game, decided to give it another shot.
Second game, typical home game against a lower-table team, 24 shots, 9 on target, with 1 goal.

Then I concede from this:

auvtQUf.jpg

This happens way too often.
My team has a throw in on the opposition half and it ends like this every other game.
I have 3 players set to stay back and one more to stay back if needed.
Opposition clears the throw, their winger gets the ball, drags 4 of my players with him as if it was some pre-school game where everyone runs after the ball and that leaves huge amount of space open for the opposition in the middle.
This is ridiculous. Please show me one situation where any remotely good defense would allow themselves to end up in a situation like this. Even with Messi on the ball.

And of course it ends 1-1.

This is the worst match engine I've played on since forever. The only thing that works are those idiotic 3 striker formations that basically exploit the game.

EDIT: next game, this time after corner, same thing. Just alt+f4ed after this. Won't be starting this season until ME is fixed. If it doesn't, then I won't be playing.

NZaPMck.jpg

Edited by GunmaN1905

A different observation and it is not entirely FM19 related (also fm18, perhaps 17).It concerns player attributes. I sort of miss the 20's in the attributes these days. I must have missed the reasoning behind this in recent years. Was it due to adding more realism ? 

I do not want to become nostalgic but finding the defender with 20 on marking and tackling, or the amazing new Messi was the one of the biggest turn ons in FM. Up to this date I remember the names of my most extraordinary players even from 6 to 10 years ago. However I can't remember one newgen name from my fm18 save (okay I am also > 40 now).

The newgens i.m.o. have perhaps become a bit too much interchangeable and just don't stand out visually (attributewise) as much anymore. I miss the extreme WOW and instant recognition. Now I must say I am basing this mostly on the newgens posted by others and my own findings in fm18. Maybe a career fm19 game, if it is ever going to take place, will surprise me? Anyone with a substantial fm19 impression of newgens here?

20 minuti fa, Mensell76 ha scritto:

A different observation and it is not entirely FM19 related (also fm18, perhaps 17).It concerns player attributes. I sort of miss the 20's in the attributes these days. I must have missed the reasoning behind this in recent years. Was it due to adding more realism ? 

I do not want to become nostalgic but finding the defender with 20 on marking and tackling, or the amazing new Messi was the one of the biggest turn ons in FM. Up to this date I remember the names of my most extraordinary players even from 6 to 10 years ago. However I can't remember one newgen name from my fm18 save (okay I am also > 40 now).

The newgens i.m.o. have perhaps become a bit too much interchangeable and just don't stand out visually (attributewise) as much anymore. I miss the extreme WOW and instant recognition. Now I must say I am basing this mostly on the newgens posted by others and my own findings in fm18. Maybe a career fm19 game, if it is ever going to take place, will surprise me? Anyone with a substantial fm19 impression of newgens here?

You're right. 

And i think that we need a revamp of CA (and PA) system. 

For me the now 190-200 range would be only for extraordinary player that change (important) game, very rare, one player in 15 years maybe. (I put in only Pelè, Maradona and Ronaldo brazilian before injuries). 

(In my custom db Cr7 and Messi are the best player with a ca of 180 and a PA of 183 and 185).

But how works now we have too many top players and in low division there is no enought difference (so i think low division are guided mostly by club reputation). So we need more range in player stats. (And a revamp in importance of attributes)

49 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

After another 3 or so days cycle where I just give up on the game, decided to give it another shot.
Second game, typical home game against a lower-table team, 24 shots, 9 on target, with 1 goal.

Then I concede from this:

auvtQUf.jpg

This happens way too often.
My team has a throw in on the opposition half and it ends like this every other game.
I have 3 players set to stay back and one more to stay back if needed.
Opposition clears the throw, their winger gets the ball, drags 4 of my players with him as if it was some pre-school game where everyone runs after the ball and that leaves huge amount of space open for the opposition in the middle.
This is ridiculous. Please show me one situation where any remotely good defense would allow themselves to end up in a situation like this. Even with Messi on the ball.

And of course it ends 1-1.

This is the worst match engine I've played on since forever. The only thing that works are those idiotic 3 striker formations that basically exploit the game.

EDIT: next game, this time after corner, same thing. Just alt+f4ed after this. Won't be starting this season until ME is fixed. If it doesn't, then I won't be playing.

NZaPMck.jpg

That's because goals are pre-determinded and the ME has to render away for the goal to happen - each ME iteration, aside from balance is just a excerise in how to disguise it.

not sure im liking wat the me has become. constantly players putting the ball out wide.player through on goal puts it out wide. or player through on goal back heel it to player behind. player runs into box in space stops plays it out wide. and even out wide when the player has loads of time and space they dont even cross ? has gone a bit wierd. and its got teams like huddersfield playing like barca with defence splitting passes from deep in there half ??

17 minuti fa, SammyRai ha scritto:

That's because goals are pre-determinded and the ME has to render away for the goal to happen - each ME iteration, aside from balance is just a excerise in how to disguise it.

if that was true, it would probably be the most stupid thing to do in order to disguise it.

the truth is far worst. these hunting packs are an inherent problem with ME or a bug. depends how you want to see it. since certain things repeat for years, I'd lean towards inherent problems with the ME. If they were mere bugs, they would have solved them in all these years. 

23 minutes ago, SammyRai said:

Results are calculated as soon as you hit start match, but you do have the power to change the outcome, thats the dfference.

7 hours ago, It's Baggio said:

The game really needs some sort of xG model. It's been used by analysts for a long time and is now commonly used in punditry. Counting shots, as you point out, can be mis-leading and the 'half chance' 'clear cut chance' totals are vague and seem slightly random at times.

All shots in the game are mapped so some basic xG forumula shouldn't be difficult to implement. This could then lead to a (much needed) revamp of th analysis features whch currently is a bit of a token IMO.

Even better would be a timeline running alongside to it. E.g. Germany at the World Cup, only really starting to create much once they were behind 0-1. This is doubly relevant as to FM, no less as AI managers likewise actually manage matches. Their point of reference has been traditionally the currrent scoreline in a match. Like, changing things around at HT if things don't seem to go to plan (or the desired result) -- switching to something more aggressive mid-match when trailing an opposition lead -- or doing the same as Germany's opposition at the WC did. Going 1-0 up, letting the Germans come and being even more focused on making it hard/er for the opposition to score.

I have a feeling this equally would be misunderstood though.

Like, OMG I had more "expected goalsq but still lost matches, broken match engine! Football (the real one anway) tends to be far more random than people, erm, give it "credit for". Actually, the biggest use of any such analytics isn't over one-off matches, as literally anything can happen in isolated matches. It's over the longer term. Teams that tend to create more quality than their opposition consistently tend to win more matches.

Edited by Svenc

crazy how bad the me is. its was fine a week ago. well fine ish. now its just plain stupid. commentary cont saying good tackle when the player has just been taken out that happens so much. players standing around in the penalty box letting players score? we are back to the old chasing the ball like a headless chicken closing down again where 4 or 5 hunt the ball in packs leaving wide open spaces. we are back to teams pinging the ball around like barca when they have poor passing stats.

and why oh why have they still not fixed the analyst ball shadow? ever since the analyst view came in this has been an issue and its still there 

freaking AI : you will find all the way to win and when a team is doing to good : you'll give them red cards and injuries ! And of course : when you think it's about to get in action when in fact you don't score goal : the same **** all over again : 50% of your shots are GOALS ! Yet the Human team with not that bad finishers have at best 1 ! I'm in a season when the red cards are the trend but none against the AI ! RIgging in my thing, RIgging to be the best ! AI YOU ARE A CHEATER 

Edited by Hingis

2 minutes ago, Hingis said:

AI YOU ARE A CHEATER 

There's ever only one cheater, it is the human players. These forums, same as FMBase et all are chock full of players that outperform what the AI would do with the same team by ridiculous amounts.

They also don't even need to understand a thing.

They simply need to hit download. ;)

2 minutes ago, Hingis said:

freaking AI : you will find all the way to win and when a team is doing to good : you'll give them red cards and injuries ! And of course : when you think it's about to get in action when in fact you don't score goal : the same **** all over again : 50% of your shots are GOALS ! Yet the Human team with not that bad finishers have at best 1 ! I'm in a season when the red cards are the trend but none against the AI ! RIgging in my thing, RIgging to be the best ! AI YOU ARE A CHEATER 

Hahaha. I dont know why, but i love this guy. i guess you favorite band is Rage against the machine. in my 2nd season , after 20 games im unbeaten. So calm down, AI dont cheat. 

1 hour ago, MrGizMo said:

Only thing that is still not fixed, that you cant press Next when you offered a contract to someone, only way to fix it for now is to go on holiday.

Not really great when you have transferday 

Save and reload always worked for me on FM18

5 hours ago, Hingis said:

You have been explained in detail that AI doesn't cheat. But if you don't want to listen then keep these posts coming, we're having fun. :D:lol:

The game is not 'Beat the AI'. It's about simulating your style of management in a virtual world. Think what would you do if you were a real life manager. There is no fun in beating the AI. 

9 hours ago, GerdMuller said:

Its all ok, i even hate all those huge transfer sums IRL, my problem just is that he game feels like no matter what you would NEVER get a transfer offer over 100mill, while among AI teams its rather common. Also if i have a young great player who is worth a lot normally , IRL the tactic is ti unsettle a guy, but still you will have to pay a fair compensation, making a player unsettled and then coming in with lowball offers, sell or gethim unhappy will not work THAT good IRL when its your standard tactic. Because at least theres always other teams Thats what is a problem all in all, if they unsetlle someone witha lowball bid, why not give me the option to say to the market, look what they did here, wouldnt you offer more at least`?

Barcelona (AI) offered 176 million pounds for Eric Bailly (At MU with me as manager).

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

No, this is not possible.

I think you mean SI are UNWILLING to do this.  I'm pretty sure it is perfectly POSSIBLE in a technical sense (unless their source control/backup is totally inept).

Edited by rp1966

there is a way to play BETA, my mate is playing it, he backed up the game when it came out and he replaced the SI folder and is playing offline mode, this way he can play BETA. Thus SI can easily provide any ME versions they want!

Pass, then pass some more, the ball goes out wide and either crossed for a goal, or you get a corner and a CB scores from that. Very occasionally you get a goal from a  nice passing move but it's usually goals from corners, wide attacks or one of the multiple penalties, yes winning regularly but getting bored to the back teeth of the way the game is playing.