Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 ore fa, Delvi ha scritto:

I am happy that I have been patient and didn't buy the game. The feedback on 19.3 say to me that is better to wait for FM 2020, hoping that ME issues will be fixed and AI will be improved.

Free to do what you want, but having an opinion built up on someone else's judgment is never wise, regardless what's on about.

Especially when you have a demo (a kind of rarity nowadays) to download for free.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, vamcj said:

Nobody?

It's most probably a file making some licensing-related changes to Chinese teams and/or players. Due to the way FM is structured, I don't believe there's a way of manually determining what these changes are, other than visually comparing the Chinese club entries with and without the files.

As with the other licensing-related files in that folder, FM still loads when it's removed.

3 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

it's legal?

Not sure what you mean? Is it ok for me to post it? Would have thought so as it's not derogatory or offensive in the slightest... Not my usual sort of news hangout but the author actually makes a good point about games in general and why people/we/you/me get upset and how (perhaps) to deal with it.

Or do you mean NSFW and stuff like that? Yes it's 100% family friendly, SFW and all that - I definitely would not link anything that would potentially land someone in bother!

Edited by optimusprimal82

8 минут назад, optimusprimal82 сказал:

Not sure what you mean? Is it ok for me to post it? Would have thought so as it's not derogatory or offensive in the slightest... Not my usual sort of news hangout but the author actually makes a good point about games in general and why people/we/you/me get upset and how (perhaps) to deal with it.

Or do you mean NSFW and stuff like that? Yes it's 100% family friendly, SFW and all that - I definitely would not link anything that would potentially land someone in bother!

it's legal to stop play in FM? :D 

I have Stellaris and Red dead redemption 2 at least, but can't stop to play in FM18, its kind of addiction I guess

Edited by Novem9

14 hours ago, bleventozturk said:

This. And anything else directly related to the way goals are happening in FM19. 

I have been playing FM 17 since late December. I bought it after trying the demo and watching youtube videos, because it had everything that FM19 doesn't in ME department. Since FM19 did not deliver it for me, I am still playing FM 17. I never meant to come back to this thread to repeat myself, but this one last time I want to add my experience from today. While playing FM 17, I saw 2 goals that looked completely different than most goals that I've seen in FM17 so far in my limited time with that game, and until these two goals I've seen countless different types of goals. Now that's the fun part, and it is completely missing in FM19. In FM17, when a highlight starts, you have no idea what is going to happen, and you still have no idea what is about to happen a short moment before a goal is scored. Completely opposite experience in FM19, making the game incredibly boring.

I also quoted the above because in FM17 when you put a striker through on goal, your chance of scoring a goal is pretty good, and each time you feel/hope like he is about to score. And if he misses you react like 'oh no how did he miss that..'. In FM19? No sir. On the other hand, in FM17 if you see the opponent getting ready to take a shot from outside the box, right at that moment you are happy that they could not find an opening in your defense for a better chance, and they decided to try one from far. Whereas in FM19, when you see an opponent dribbling the ball and getting ready to take a shot from 25 yards, you are thinking 'oh boy, somebody block this shot fgs...'. For me this summarizes what is horribly wrong with FM19 ME.

anyone disapointed in fm19 ME and you have fm17, give it a go you won't regred it. one-two's around penalty box, realistic dribblings, dribblings past keepers, strikers scoring what's expected, movement in final third, instructions working...if you take time to make changes to playing league managers' attributes it's almost like real football. 

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

... if you take time to make changes to playing league managers' attributes it's almost like real football. 

Could you perhaps make that database available? I would like to try it out. :)

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

anyone disapointed in fm19 ME and you have fm17, give it a go you won't regred it. one-two's around penalty box, realistic dribblings, dribblings past keepers, strikers scoring what's expected, movement in final third, instructions working...if you take time to make changes to playing league managers' attributes it's almost like real football. 

I'm a huge fan of 17 and IMO it's the best they've done for a long time. However, there are issues that can be considered major in terms of realistic results which the SI and FM has been trying to make for a very long time. Someone has mentioned it before in the thread regarding defending with the wingers role, they stay too wide and don't allow to defend narrow and there's no way you can unless you use a different role or something else entirely which 19 has the advantage of which has been a good feature so far in terms of practise and experimental. 

The dribbling in 17 is wild, players stats of dribbles per game for my save is above 5- likes of martial whom has 19 dribbling on mine averages at 8 per game- now realistically that's way too much, average in EPL is around 2 ish, sane just about completes 3 on average with the likes of sterling and salah/hazard behind. Now I don't know if they've changed the meaning or the dribbling stat from running dribbles made per game (fm17) to what is considered now dribbling past an opponent =1 (fm 19) or at least that's my interpretation of it. If it is then still the ME for 17 was susceptible to dribbling players rather than the ability of one players ability that isn't enhanced by the ME. Fm19 dribbling seems to be accurate and something they've done right, however the ME imho doesn't allow dribbles to be made when there's a possibility to. I've seen martial always wanting to pass the ball rather than do his skill liked dribbles, which isn't his game nor is he very good at doing that. I've changed systems countless times and changing the way we played only to find out that having more possession (most of the time) leads to him having more dribbles but completed more passes that are basic and possession based rather than doing what he's good at as an IF sitting wider. To me that's the biggest downfall from 19 is that something is preventing or hindering from a player to do that role or fulfil it properly as how we see it in todays game. 

When 19 was released I didn't agree with and to some aspects I still don't but 19.3 has made it bearable and it would be a waste of money if I don't play with it. I had a long stint with fm17 playing ALOT but I noticed that as time went further into the game there were less huge prospects from youth intake no matter how good it was, almost every wide player being brought in were wingers and Inside forwards were a rarety which I based my whole game on. I tried adapting, didn't fit well. Just before a month of 19's release my save died from a unknown source and I didn't back it up (yes it was my fault but I blamed it on life cause why not? xD) and then made another save and realised "it's out of date" in terms of style, play and it wasn't something I could get over personally. I even updated the database from the summer window gone from 2018 and it still felt "wrong" which is why I feel the need to finish 19 off before I get 20/21 depending how much changes.  

3 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Almost poetic for those still disaffected by the patch/game - wouldn't normally link something like this but the timing is too perfect/coincidental not to - hope it helps anyone who may still be struggling/upset/angry; It's ok to stop playing...

Gotta discount RDR from that list. Those who disliked the online play, can revert to offline, as in both RDRs, offline and online were quite similar, unless you wanna play with friends, can't help you there. And the offline, the main part, is just as amazing as the first, so technically, it doesn't break the game. 

Anthem is just a fail. 

F76 was just a money grab. 

Edited by MatthewS17

3 hours ago, BigV said:

I'm a huge fan of 17 and IMO it's the best they've done for a long time. However, there are issues that can be considered major in terms of realistic results which the SI and FM has been trying to make for a very long time. Someone has mentioned it before in the thread regarding defending with the wingers role, they stay too wide and don't allow to defend narrow and there's no way you can unless you use a different role or something else entirely which 19 has the advantage of which has been a good feature so far in terms of practise and experimental. 

The dribbling in 17 is wild, players stats of dribbles per game for my save is above 5- likes of martial whom has 19 dribbling on mine averages at 8 per game- now realistically that's way too much, average in EPL is around 2 ish, sane just about completes 3 on average with the likes of sterling and salah/hazard behind. Now I don't know if they've changed the meaning or the dribbling stat from running dribbles made per game (fm17) to what is considered now dribbling past an opponent =1 (fm 19) or at least that's my interpretation of it. If it is then still the ME for 17 was susceptible to dribbling players rather than the ability of one players ability that isn't enhanced by the ME. Fm19 dribbling seems to be accurate and something they've done right, however the ME imho doesn't allow dribbles to be made when there's a possibility to. I've seen martial always wanting to pass the ball rather than do his skill liked dribbles, which isn't his game nor is he very good at doing that. I've changed systems countless times and changing the way we played only to find out that having more possession (most of the time) leads to him having more dribbles but completed more passes that are basic and possession based rather than doing what he's good at as an IF sitting wider. To me that's the biggest downfall from 19 is that something is preventing or hindering from a player to do that role or fulfil it properly as how we see it in todays game. 

When 19 was released I didn't agree with and to some aspects I still don't but 19.3 has made it bearable and it would be a waste of money if I don't play with it. I had a long stint with fm17 playing ALOT but I noticed that as time went further into the game there were less huge prospects from youth intake no matter how good it was, almost every wide player being brought in were wingers and Inside forwards were a rarety which I based my whole game on. I tried adapting, didn't fit well. Just before a month of 19's release my save died from a unknown source and I didn't back it up (yes it was my fault but I blamed it on life cause why not? xD) and then made another save and realised "it's out of date" in terms of style, play and it wasn't something I could get over personally. I even updated the database from the summer window gone from 2018 and it still felt "wrong" which is why I feel the need to finish 19 off before I get 20/21 depending how much changes.  

Yes there were issues with the FM17 ME such as the positioning and behaviour of wingers out of possession. There were also problems with narrow formations destroying the AI; however, the sheer variety of goals, aesthetically pleasing play and the fact that instructions actually worked made up for this and then some. If you simply avoid playing narrow 4231s or strikerless (which are seldom seen in reality), you never had an issue with the ME's weaknesses.

Edited by rdbayly

2 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Yes there were issues with the FM17 ME such as the positioning and behaviour of wingers out of possession. There were also problems with narrow formations destroying the AI; however, the sheer variety of goals, aesthetically pleasing play and the fact that instructions actually worked made up for this and then some. If you simply avoid playing narrow 4231s or strikerless (which are seldom seen in reality), you never had an issue with the ME's weaknesses.

Agreed, never tried playing narrow doesn't suit "my style". I've always had the 4-2-3-1 as my default but only recently changed it during 17/ at the start of 19. 4-3-3 seems to be OP on 17, had sanchez and martial dribbling like crazy and the variety of goals with team play was astonishing compared to 19. All this talk of 17 has really made me want to go back to it and finish like I was meant to but paying for 19 was something i'd wish I could refund but sadly can't so i guess i'll have to play both whenever possible. 

just my usual post at this time of year hoping for some feedback on it 

take De Jong transfer to Barcelona it is set up as 75m Euros to occur on 1/7/19

however if you move the game to this date Ajax do not get the money and the Barcelona balance does not drop either.

So my assumption is SI have amended the finances of both clubs to reflect this major transfer and the bearing it will have especially on a club like Ajax (this is major income for them)

with the original DB 19.1

8677036e69c45d6853663f6579d66176.png

with the 19.3 DB no difference at all

dfdfe5aa98e9b2ae8ddde361164e90c6.png

so as I have pointed out many times using future transfers is flawed Ajax lose their best player and get no money for it

that is farcical 

Oh and I almost forgot to reiterate my displeasure with the new training module, which seems to be another great example of a failure to ask "will anyone actually find this fun?" in design meetings.

Of course it's easy enough to leave to your assman, except then when players come up with very specific training complaints (too much strength training, not enough specific defensive unit training, etc.) there's no clear way to address it without really taking the time to examine and alter specific training schedules, which adds yet another layer of work to a game that can often feel too much like work already.

Edited by jujigatame

Planning trainings is the part I like the most. Finally something closer to reality, adding depth and diversity.

I understand some people don't like to bother with them though, fortunately the ass man does a good job. Or, if someone still wants to put his hands on them, there are some pre-set schedules to use. Now I don't understand why people should complain.

As much as I don't understand, even if I find it pretty funny, all those people praising FM17. Which was a good game, I agree.

But I bet if we dig into the old FM17 forums we'd find the general discussion full filled with the same kind of rants and moans we read these days, with people stating how good was FM14 (or even FM12, for Odin!)

This makes me think that in a couple of years FM19 will be remembered as the greatest FM ever.

1 hour ago, tommcneil1992 said:

i dont see that much bickering? more a general consensus that the ME is thoroughly unenjoyable

There is no such consensus.

If you look at the number of people playing FM19 on Steam (not a great metric but it's the only one we have) FM19 is currently at No13 on the Top 100 list. At any given time, there are a few thousand people on the forums. Of those, a small minority actively post, and of those a tiny minority post in this thread (or any thread, come to that). Of those, there are 20-30 people making the same complaints about the ME over and over again.

A 'disinterested' view would tell you that most people simply don't care. There are many of us who believe that the ME is flawed but don't believe it's that big a deal. Most of us are having a great time playing the game.

If you think otherwise, I respect your opinion and sympathise. But don't kid yourself that you're in the majority, or that the 'consensus' is with you. It isn't.

4 hours ago, warlock said:

There is no such consensus.

If you look at the number of people playing FM19 on Steam (not a great metric but it's the only one we have) FM19 is currently at No13 on the Top 100 list. At any given time, there are a few thousand people on the forums. Of those, a small minority actively post, and of those a tiny minority post in this thread (or any thread, come to that). Of those, there are 20-30 people making the same complaints about the ME over and over again.

A 'disinterested' view would tell you that most people simply don't care. There are many of us who believe that the ME is flawed but don't believe it's that big a deal. Most of us are having a great time playing the game.

If you think otherwise, I respect your opinion and sympathise. But don't kid yourself that you're in the majority, or that the 'consensus' is with you. It isn't.

its the general consensus i see on this thread

All in all I really like FM19. The features are good, there are very few bugs and there is nice flow to the game. In many ways it is the best FM ever in my opinion. Still, I have gone back to FM18.

In my experience, there are two major things wrong with this game, and that makes it not enjoyable for me to play.

1) Even after adjusting it with 19.3 the strikers still act in a weird way, making them unreliable.

2) (and this is what made me uninstall) the low number of goals across the board. From my, albeit limited, sample size, I have seen that nearly 25% less goals are scored when compared to reality. To some, it may not sound like much, but it breaks the games realism to me at least. 

I posted the following in the bugs forum, and I have produced pretty similar numbers since then.

I am playing in Denmark, so had no influence on these results.

Real life:

Sweden

In 2018 there was an average 2,74 goals scored pr. match.

In 52% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

5/16 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

7/16 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

Iceland

In 2018 there was an average of 2,95 goals scored pr. match.

In 56% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

2/12 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

6/12 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

In FM the story is different.

Sweden

In the simulated 2018 league there was an average of 2,02 goals scored pr. match.

In 33,75% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

9/16 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

0/16 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

Iceland

In the simulated 2018 league there was an average of 2,21 goals scored pr. match.

In 38% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

5/12 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

2/12 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

This is a major drop off in goals and that leads to unrealistic league tables, and way too many low scoring matches. I am seriously baffled, that this made it through testing, and that it is a direct result of changes made to 19.3.

Edited by Mr_Demus

10 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

After trying and trying and trying, idk what to say except for that I just can't enjoy this ME.
There are days where I really want to play FM, I start it up and after like an hour I just can't do it anymore.

I literally reloaded whole seasons multiple times to try and get my damn strikers to score at a decent rate.
Played with teams that have top class strikers just to try and get it to work. Didn't even care about results.
It simply doesn't work.

I bloody resorted to downloading tactics for the first time in probably 10 years. It doesn't work.
You can't get proper no9 strikers involved at all and when they do get involved their conversion ratio is ridiculously bad.
It's not even the tactic. What can I do if a striker with 16+ attribute in every needed category just does the dumbest possible thing most of the time.

No, I won't use those cheesy 3striker DLF formations, I don't enjoy playing like that.

Yes, this is a a rant, but I don't blame anyone for anything.

I'm just sad that I can't enjoy the damn game.
I'd pay to have one of the older match engines replace this one, because I really love every aspect of the game except for the actual ME.

I'm managing Leipzig, with my own custom tactic, and Werner has 18 goals in 17 games playing as a lone striker.

It is possible to get strikers scoring.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 ora fa, Mr_Demus ha scritto:

All in all I really like FM19. The features are good, there are very few bugs and there is nice flow to the game. In many ways it is the best FM ever in my opinion. Still, I have gone back to FM18.

In my experience, there are two major things wrong with this game, and that makes it not enjoyable for me to play.

1) Even after adjusting it with 19.3 the strikers still act in a weird way, making them unreliable.

2) (and this is what made me uninstall) the low number of goals across the board. From my, albeit limited, sample size, I have seen that nearly 25% less goals are scored when compared to reality. To some, it may not sound like much, but it breaks the games realism to me at least. 

I posted the following in the bugs forum, and I have produced pretty similar numbers since then.

I am playing in Denmark, so had no influence on these results.

Real life:

Sweden

In 2018 there was an average 2,74 goals scored pr. match.

In 52% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

5/16 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

7/16 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

Iceland

In 2018 there was an average of 2,95 goals scored pr. match.

In 56% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

2/12 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

6/12 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

In FM the story is different.

Sweden

In the simulated 2018 league there was an average of 2,02 goals scored pr. match.

In 33,75% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

9/16 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

0/16 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

Iceland

In the simulated 2018 league there was an average of 2,21 goals scored pr. match.

In 38% of all matches more than 2,5 goals are scored.

5/12 teams averaged 1 goal or less scored pr. match.

2/12 teams averaged more than 1,5 goals scored pr. match.

This is a major drop off in goals and that leads to unrealistic league tables, and way too many low scoring matches. I am seriously baffled, that this made it through testing, and that it is a direct result of changes made to 19.3.

So did you put FM19 away because in Sweden and Iceland the goal scored ratio is slightly low (or extremely low at your eyes) compared to real life numbers? In leagues you aren't playing in either?

Ok I respect you, but to me this is the most absurd reason to criticize FM19 I read so far.

4 minutes ago, Federico said:

So did you put FM19 away because in Sweden and Iceland the goal scored ratio is slightly low (or extremely low at your eyes) compared to real life numbers?

Ok I respect you, but to me this is the most absurd reason to criticize FM19 I read so far.

No. I put it away because the numbers of goals scored in all leagues are low. These were just my examples posted, as they were finished before the other leagues in my test save. I think others would agree that 1/4 of all goals is quite a lot. It was the same in the league I was playing in, but I didn't use that as an example because I was intervening with the results. As it was also the same in the other leagues I had loaded on that save.

Other people have posted examples form the English leagues as well, where the problem is the same. A lot of teams average much fewer goals than they would in real life. I am not saying that FM should/will ever hit the exact real life spot, but 25% is too big of a difference.

1 ora fa, RandomGuy. ha scritto:

I'm managing Leipzig, with my own custom tactic, and Werner has 18 goals in 17 games playing as a lone striker.

Same here. I had difficulties on having Ronaldo to score, tweaking my tactic led him to score 26 in 20 matches.

38 minuti fa, Mr_Demus ha scritto:

No. I put it away because the numbers of goals scored in all leagues are low. These were just my examples posted, as they were finished before the other leagues in my test save. I think others would agree that 1/4 of all goals is quite a lot. It was the same in the league I was playing in, but I didn't use that as an example because I was intervening with the results. As it was also the same in the other leagues I had loaded on that save.

Other people have posted examples form the English leagues as well, where the problem is the same. A lot of teams average much fewer goals than they would in real life. I am not saying that FM should/will ever hit the exact real life spot, but 25% is too big of a difference.

I see.

I recently played a save in italian Serie A and I had an average of 3 goals scored and 1.45 conceded per match. From my point of view these numbers were too high instead. But I never finished the season so I can't say how it would have ended the story.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb RandomGuy.:

But sadly not for the AI.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

out of interest what type of goals are you getting with him, like open play/set pieces? long shots/one on ones/ tap ins from crosses ect?

Just only one problem: a bit too many crossings, maybe it's because the defensive line dropping deep too soon and defensive engagement (closing down) at wide area (where the balls are crossed) should be strengthened.

And as to some statistics e.g. average goals scored in matches being a little lower or higher than real life statistics, I think that's fine.  Those stats can be different every year in real life, as long as there's a general baseline.

This is something unrelated but does the type of player (creative, physical, technical, leader etc.) have any effect on how they perform to certain roles?? for example pogba can work any role practically but because he's physical he tends to score more than "create" as he drives through games rather than making that final pass and assisting even as a playmaker or any playmaker role for that matter be it in CM or at CAM even with the right tactics/formations. 

3 hours ago, derTuchel said:

But sadly not for the AI.

Ronaldo scored 30 goals one season for Juventus in my Roma save. I'll see how AI strikers are doing tonight. 

3 hours ago, tommcneil1992 said:

out of interest what type of goals are you getting with him, like open play/set pieces? long shots/one on ones/ tap ins from crosses ect?

Mix. From memory a lot are him getting on the end of crosses, but theres been a couple of one on ones. Cant think of any from outside the box.

3 hours ago, BigV said:

This is something unrelated but does the type of player (creative, physical, technical, leader etc.) have any effect on how they perform to certain roles??

It absolutely affects how they perform.  Different players with different attributes and Traits will play the same role in different ways.

Roles determine what a player should do.  Their attributes/Traits determine how they execute the role.

For example consider the Trequartista role.  According to it's description he's all flair but lazy and doesn't do much for the team.  He'll roam around, dribble a bit, shoot, make some passes.  Think Totti, Riquelme, Zidane.  And that's how he'll play in a match if you use a player with similar attributes.  But now use a player instead who has loads of Work Rate, Determination, Aggression, Stamina etc and you'll have a very different beast.  Generally speaking only my flying wingbacks cover more ground during 90 minutes than my TQ but only because I use TQs with the attributes which allow them to do so.

You mention Pogba.  Try it out - use him as a TQ at AMC ;).

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

It absolutely affects how they perform.  Different players with different attributes and Traits will play the same role in different ways.

Roles determine what a player should do.  Their attributes/Traits determine how they execute the role.

For example consider the Trequartista role.  According to it's description he's all flair but lazy and doesn't do much for the team.  He'll roam around, dribble a bit, shoot, make some passes.  Think Totti, Riquelme, Zidane.  And that's how he'll play in a match if you use a player with similar attributes.  But now use a player instead who has loads of Work Rate, Determination, Aggression, Stamina etc and you'll have a very different beast.  Generally speaking only my flying wingbacks cover more ground during 90 minutes than my TQ but only because I use TQs with the attributes which allow them to do so.

You mention Pogba.  Try it out - use him as a TQ at AMC ;).

Interesting thanks man. I tend to not use that role as I don't know much about it nor fit's my particular style although some adapting won't hurt in pre season/friendlies. I was also referring to the fact that pogba is an all around player but his "Physical stats" is what classes him as a physical player but also has the passing and vision to create. Now im not saying my tactics are perfect but surely using a playmaker role would be useful to be used as a creator than being what he is in the sense of a mezzala which would see him assist more rather than score as "shoot more often" is locked yet he still scores alot. What I have is a team thats more "physical" than creative but i recently bought gedson, ndombele and thauvin where 2 are creators and 1 is similar mold to pogba. Those 2 creators has still scored more than "create" which is the reason why I asked to see if anyone knew or had issues doing as what they'd expect indirectly. 

After playing some more in update 19.3 my conclusion is that the game is the best in the series except the ME which is sad. Strikers are having a nightmare in this ME and i am talking about AI strikers who are unable to score goals because of ultradefensive AI tactics which are too effective in annihilating strikers.

We are left with a very polished interface and gameplay but it's fundamental part, the ME, is sadly not up to the rest of the game.

4 minutes ago, andu1 said:

After playing some more in update 19.3 my conclusion is that the game is the best in the series except the ME which is sad.

Completely on point.

I love every other aspect of the game and I'd pay to have some of the older ME versions reverted onto this because this is maddening.

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Completely on point.

I love every other aspect of the game and I'd pay to have some of the older ME versions reverted onto this because this is maddening.

and the sad thing is that even if i wanted to go to FM 17 or 18, FM 19 is so polished that balances out the better match engines of 17 and 18. :( 

32 minutes ago, andu1 said:

and the sad thing is that even if i wanted to go to FM 17 or 18, FM 19 is so polished that balances out the better match engines of 17 and 18. :( 

I have to disagree; the ME is the most important thing about FM for me. I'd take a less immersive gameplay experience and a decent ME over '19 in my opinion every day.

It is a shame, because the rest of the game is good as you say.

Maybe people are forgetting that this is a computer game that costs approx £35. You pay this amount once per year and get endless hours of play from the game.

Surely we can't expect the ME to be perfect and 100% replicate how football is played? If you don't like the ME that much just play with commentary only and enjoy the rest of the GAME. The game is worth every penny of the price, even if there was no match engine and just simulated results.

1 minute ago, BlairNo.1 said:

Maybe people are forgetting that this is a computer game that costs approx £35. You pay this amount once per year and get endless hours of play from the game.

Surely we can't expect the ME to be perfect and 100% replicate how football is played? If you don't like the ME that much just play with commentary only and enjoy the rest of the GAME. The game is worth every penny of the price, even if there was no match engine and just simulated results.

You are completly missing the point. We are not talking about the 3D or 2D representation of the game (visuals). You can play commentary only, but you are still on the same ME which works just the same as it does in 3D or 2D.

ME does not equal visual representation.

1 minute ago, SebastianRO said:

You are completly missing the point. We are not talking about the 3D or 2D representation of the game (visuals). You can play commentary only, but you are still on the same ME which works just the same as it does in 3D or 2D.

ME does not equal visual representation.

I'm not missing the point at all. My point was that the game is well worth the money in its current form. You can pay much more for a computer game and get far less playtime from it.

The game is what it is.

Just my opinion so thought i'd voice it as everybody else does :thup:

11 minutes ago, BlairNo.1 said:

I'm not missing the point at all. My point was that the game is well worth the money in its current form. You can pay much more for a computer game and get far less playtime from it.

The game is what it is.

Just my opinion so thought i'd voice it as everybody else does :thup:

Hours / money, yes, FM is worth the money every year, just like pretty much any RPG or open world game that can be played into oblivion. I agree to this.

But there's a second point in the price / entertainment / hours conversation and that is: it's previous versions. Football manager is the only game that covers this market, so the only way we can put a correct price on it, is to compare it to it's previous editions, like FM18, FM17 ... etc. Those editions were priced just the same and this is why people get frustrated the most. Despite the new improvements the FM19 made in certain areas, it also falls short in other ways, but the problem is that one of the main weakness of this one, is the Match Engine. Now, we all have our unique approach to this game, but I feel that the ME is the one thing we all care about, since it's quite literally the core of the game.

If we use this logic, the £35 price tag (for me and other users here) doesn't mean jack .... The reason is that it simply isn't nearly as good as FM17 (which I reverted back to). SI aknowledged the fact that there are problems with this ME, especially striker's off the ball movement, etc. I am really happy for you if you enjoy FM19, I wish I had, really. But as much as I tried to convince myself that there must be something I'm missing I had to accept that this is the most flat, tasteless ME we had in years.

Edited by SebastianRO

More observations:

- players trying to cross the ball despite opponent standing half a meter from them
- players crossing the ball with their weaker foot instead of cutting the ball to their preferred foot
- players opting for longshot by the edge of the box despite having clear options for through ball into the box
- defensive line stupidly gravitate towards ball carrier leaving huge space to exploit on the other wing (sometimes youcan see 5-6 players running towards the ball carrier effectively removing all of them from play)
- volley shots when ball is comming from behind the player (just concedeed a goal when player volleyd a ball hit from 40m behind him while he never looked at the ball until he hit it in the net like nothing, Van Persie's goal looks like poor cousin in comparison, whole situation looks incredibly unrealistic)

- players returning to their designated positions after set piece, they completely ignore opponent ball carier and just run by like getting back to default position is the most important thing to do

- players running with ball at their feet during counter attack after set piece never pass the ball despite having options, every single one of these counter attacks ends up in the ball carrier being tackled

6 hours ago, andu1 said:

After playing some more in update 19.3 my conclusion is that the game is the best in the series except the ME which is sad. Strikers are having a nightmare in this ME and i am talking about AI strikers who are unable to score goals because of ultradefensive AI tactics which are too effective in annihilating strikers.

We are left with a very polished interface and gameplay but it's fundamental part, the ME, is sadly not up to the rest of the game.

Agreed. 

The UI and all is so nice, especially the training. I really like the immersion and satisfaction in curating a detailed training schedules on the focus on the month. 

But the strikers in the game just simply cannot score and wingers and AM are the only ones scoring and dominating the scoring charts in all the major league. 

After 15 games in my save, not a single striker has scored 10 goals across the major leagues.

3 hours ago, yezzko said:

More observations:

- players trying to cross the ball despite opponent standing half a meter from them
- players crossing the ball with their weaker foot instead of cutting the ball to their preferred foot
- players opting for longshot by the edge of the box despite having clear options for through ball into the box
- defensive line stupidly gravitate towards ball carrier leaving huge space to exploit on the other wing (sometimes youcan see 5-6 players running towards the ball carrier effectively removing all of them from play)
- volley shots when ball is comming from behind the player (just concedeed a goal when player volleyd a ball hit from 40m behind him while he never looked at the ball until he hit it in the net like nothing, Van Persie's goal looks like poor cousin in comparison, whole situation looks incredibly unrealistic)

- players returning to their designated positions after set piece, they completely ignore opponent ball carier and just run by like getting back to default position is the most important thing to do

- players running with ball at their feet during counter attack after set piece never pass the ball despite having options, every single one of these counter attacks ends up in the ball carrier being tackled

YES AND YES. @Neil Brock I hope you can see this. This has been an issue for the past few FM's

I posted a bug report about something like this a couple versions ago. After a set piece of any kind, if the ball is deflected etc, and the ball pings around, if the player who is nearest to the ball is a striker for example, and he is defending, instead of trying to win the ball back, the striker will run back to his designated position and then we have to wait for the player in that position of the field to attack the ball. SO so wrong and a huge issue with the ME, among many others. This one in particular has been around for a while. Needs to be fixed if this ME will be considered a representation of football.

Moreover, something similar, but not really a bug, but it looks terrible on the 3D/2D Pitch is whenever a shot is taken, every player on the field sprints and gravitates towards goal haha. Looks so bad and has been around for many years. Hope this is fixed cos it just looks cheap

Yeah, the ignorance after Set Pieces toward the Ball and defending Options is quite annoying - gladly both Teams do it...

The wrong foot Action - sometimes i think the game can not in any situation differnetiate between Left and Right.

The tendency of the AI Managers and Assistants to put Players on the "wrong" side for their preferred foot (and also not as inverse Option) is questionable.

Wrecking currently my CaC Lower League Competition as i have the strongest Team in the league - got away with a Cup win a short while away against a Team one Tier above me where they besieged me at my box and it was 4 to 20 something shots and some luck i won 1:0 that round.

The prevalence of Player Quality is quite obvious on that one Hand but on the other even good if not superior Player look very clumsy when Controlling the Ball losing huge amounts of Speed and Agility for example so far outpaced defenders can catch up and defend them for example.

Yeah, well, i am indifferent about this Iteration of the ME currently...

For sure it has become easier if you manage a Big Team so Man City wins 4 out of 5 PL Seasons now...

Edited by Etebaer