How to defeat the Man City 5-2-3 WB WIDE

Hi,

As per subject title.

Just seeking opinions please.

I use either the 4-2CM-3-1 (Wide) or my main tactic which is the 4-1-4-1 DM Wide (which I think is now the 4-1-2-3).

They are weak centrally with only 2 CM's who are not really defensive minded, however, they could be weak down the flanks with their aggressive wing-backs overlapping/supporting their wingers?

Attack narrow through the middle and defend wide perhaps?

Many thanks

Man City 5-2-3 WB Wide.png

I'd be looking at a 4141 (flat)... Doubling up wide to defend their main threat (sterling and sane) and outnumbering them in midfield... Should stifle their attack. 

Using a f9 or dlf as loan striker would mean their 3cbs are largely wasted as they aren't marking anyone... You then generate players running at defence which they hate iw, bbm are options. 

Keep the ball... They are bottom heavy so use ur DM as a playmaker and play out from the back... This will disrupt their defensive shape, or allow you long periods of possession. 

Yes, that looks good.

I must admit, I have already played this game a few days ago and lost. I had 3 victories in 3 against City, but that was when they played the 4123 like me. I tried but failed in this set up they used above, but I will remember your advice for next time I face them away from home.

I have no problem dropping my wingers back a strata. I'd rather lose a little bit of tactical familiarity and gain a better chance of winning, than have fluid TF and losing.

I do play as Spurs and I use either Dier or Tousart as a HBd role. I think that may still be ok and maybe change the role to a DMd.

Kane could be my DLF and I now have Felix who could be the IW on the left (he cuts inside) and Gelson Martins on the right.

So, provisional set-up could be like this:

DLFa

IWs   BBMs   CMa   Wa

DMd

FBs   CDd   BPDd   FBs

SKd

Lloris on goal (I also have a maturing Lafont)

Tierney as FBs aswell as Militao on FBs?

Dier as DMd?

Felix as IWs?

Alli as CMa?

Martins as Wa or maybe IWa?

Eriksen is not a BBM but with Alli attacking as a CMa, maybe Eriksen as a RPM or APs?

Kane as a DLFa?

What do you think Westy?

I'd change two of the attack duty to support (probably the dlf and cm) but use the TI to counter. 

I'd play eriksen DM as dlp or reg... The DM in this match should be more about being the playmaker than a blocker, as they (city) will not have control of the #10 area anyway... You outnumber their 2cms and sterling/sane will be attacking width. 

Use the DM position to control the game and I'd probably have tousart in the cm spot as cm-s/cm-d or bwm. Maybe even get him man marking his opponent... He is brilliant defensively and you want to stop the silvas from having time to switch ball to the flanks. 

Dele alli could be the bbm

This thread is all about finding a pocket of space for your playmaker by looking at your opponents formation... The 523 is a great example as there is so much space for you in midfield...you can create 5/6 vs 2/3!!! 

Using a playmaker where they vacate the most space will cause maximum disruption to their shape as they have to close him down... It allows you to pick them apart

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

I'd change two of the attack duty to support (probably the dlf and cm) but use the TI to counter. 

I'd play eriksen DM as dlp or reg... The DM in this match should be more about being the playmaker than a blocker, as they (city) will not have control of the #10 area anyway... You outnumber their 2cms and sterling/sane will be attacking width. 

Use the DM position to control the game and I'd probably have tousart in the cm spot as cm-s/cm-d or bwm. Maybe even get him man marking his opponent... He is brilliant defensively and you want to stop the silvas from having time to switch ball to the flanks. 

Dele alli could be the bbm

Fantastic, thanks Westy for your input and explaining your theories.  Yes, that thread of yours I have read along with Hernes and Experienced Defender.  Sometimes, I just like reading your guys threads where even now I can still learn. ;-)

Those wingbacks are dangerous, they get up the pitch with the two wingers you could be toast. You don't want to snuff out your own style at the same time as well. So if your system depends on getting the ball up to the flanks then that's where the battle will be. You just need to make sure that you either use the 4141 to create a split between their WB and AML/R or you are the one doing all the flooding in midfield snuffing them out and making it hard to find the passes. 

Personally it will really depend on where your players are most capable of winning the ball. A 442 could work very well against that system.

Thanks Rashidi. Shamefully, I was toast and embarassed by the result, however, it was their first win against me and I do sit in 2nd place with a few games to go until end of season.  I can't wait to face that formation again and try some things out...

Against weaker teams test out some tweaks to ur style. Or in less important cup games try a new mentality just to see how your team performs. Half the problem is knowing how your team reacts to certain situations in game. Minimise the mistakes. Max your strengths. Focus on their weakness. Nullify their strength. Chances are man city isn't the worst you'll face. We are literally learning while on the job here!

If I were to play against a top team like City with another (albeit slightly weaker) top team like the Spurs without changing your main formation (4123), this is a tactic with which I would probably start the match, then watch carefully and make gradual tweaks as I see fit:

DLFat

IFsu                                      Wsu

APsu     CMat

ACM

FBsu     CDde    CDde     (I)WBde

SKde

Balanced mentality

- play out of defence, run at defence, be more expressive

- counter, regroup

- standard DL, lower (or standard) LOE

En 24/7/2019 a las 17:55, Experienced Defender dijo:

If I were to play against a top team like City with another (albeit slightly weaker) top team like the Spurs without changing your main formation (4123), this is a tactic with which I would probably start the match, then watch carefully and make gradual tweaks as I see fit:

DLFat

IFsu                                      Wsu

APsu     CMat

ACM

FBsu     CDde    CDde     (I)WBde

SKde

Balanced mentality

- play out of defence, run at defence, be more expressive

- counter, regroup

- standard DL, lower (or standard) LOE

Why do you prefer to use run at defence? is it a good option to consider for counter-attacking systems?

50 minutes ago, Sebas said:

Why do you prefer to use run at defence? is it a good option to consider for counter-attacking systems?

I do not prefer it per se. Moreover, I tend to avoid it for most of the teams I manage (partly because I rarely manage top teams). I may use it only if my players are capable of running with the ball and provided it makes sense in relation to my other tactical settings. And the Spurs do have capable players in that regard IMHO.

En 26/7/2019 a las 12:17, Experienced Defender dijo:

I do not prefer it per se. Moreover, I tend to avoid it for most of the teams I manage (partly because I rarely manage top teams). I may use it only if my players are capable of running with the ball and provided it makes sense in relation to my other tactical settings. And the Spurs do have capable players in that regard IMHO.

Yes i understand that you prefer it in the context of this tactic. I meant to ask why would you suggest using it for this tactic against this rival. I know that Tottenham have good dribblers but i don't get the benefit of using it against better opposition (Man City in this case) and also why would you avoid using it when managing top teams.

8 hours ago, Sebas said:

Yes i understand that you prefer it in the context of this tactic. I meant to ask why would you suggest using it for this tactic against this rival. I know that Tottenham have good dribblers but i don't get the benefit of using it against better opposition (Man City in this case)

Well, I agree that City is a better (stronger) team than the Spurs, but I don't think that the difference in quality is so huge that the Spurs should behave as complete underdogs. However, the Run at defence is certainly not a necessary TI, so you do not have to use it if you don't feel comfortable.

8 hours ago, Sebas said:

also why would you avoid using it when managing top teams

No, you got me wrong. Quite the opposite. I tend to avoid RaD when I manage weaker/average teams. I can consider it only when managing a top team

On 26/07/2019 at 18:17, Experienced Defender said:

I tend to avoid it for most of the teams I manage (partly because I rarely manage top teams)

@Experienced Defender Well yeah, badly read on my behalf :lol:.

I'm still trying to figure out why would you prefer to dribble more against Man City as Tottenham. I mean, i know that Spurs have great dribblers but what's the tactical reasoning of instructing your team to dribble more often? I'm specially intrigued about this instruction considering that Tottenham are the underdogs and if you would do the same in the opposite scenario.

8 hours ago, Sebas said:

I'm still trying to figure out why would you prefer to dribble more against Man City as Tottenham. I mean, i know that Spurs have great dribblers but what's the tactical reasoning of instructing your team to dribble more often?

It's not just about dribbling but running with the ball in general. If executed properly, it can disrupt the opposition's defensive shape as they move out of position to try to stop the runner, which opens up space for his teammates (and Spurs have intelligent players who should be able to exploit those spaces). But of course, I would (as always) carefully watch the match, and if I noticed that running with the ball did not work as expected, I would simply remove it.

8 hours ago, Sebas said:

I'm specially intrigued about this instruction considering that Tottenham are the underdogs and if you would do the same in the opposite scenario

Probably yes. Unless, again, I see that it definitely is not working the way I wanted.

Archived