Sports Interactive Community
laurentius82

Is it ever over the line, inside the box or not a penalty?

After way too many hours of playing FM19 since release, I'm yet to see the ball actually cross the goal line, a foul to be inside the box, or a penalty not given after a VAR review. Has anyone? If not, what's the point of having the VAR feature at all?

I have seen a penalty not given quite a few times.
The ball crossing the line is a situation i haven't noticed yet.
A foul to be inside the box - never. It's always outside the box.

I have seen one given as being inside the box. I like you fully expected it to be outside but a penalty was given.

Watched the replay and it didn’t look inside the area...

It can but as you say very unbalanced 

Not the same subject, but I the other day, had my 1st red card appeal ... it was Cristiano ronaldo i think he had a yellow and then perhaps a straight red. I may be wrong anyway I've always noticed the option to appeal... but always under the advise the refs had the correct decision, how ever for the 1st time in all the FM I've played something finally changed. Lol I was advised the tackle was not deserved of a red too the appeal and bloody won it !

VAR is the biggest lot of tripe anyway . Your computer or the game itself always determined if a ball was over the line anyway well before Goal Line technology . If the ball had not cross the line in its entirety the game would not award a goal would it .

Edited by prot651

I've had both the not a penalty and the foul to be in the box come up fairly often actually, though not nearly as often as the opposite decisions.

The goal line thing is ridiculous tbh. The way I see it is that if the ball crossed the line, the refs watch would buzz or do whatever it does. There's no controversy to be had so I don't understand why it's a part of the game. Pundits show the incidents at half time or full time just for something to talk about and say "ooooohh wasn't that unlucky, they came 2.5cm from getting a win" or whatever. We don't actually need to see it, we already know it wasn't a goal.

No, Yes, Yes.

I feel like the highlights are still stuck on World Cup 2014 where the TV would show the goal line technology confirming things like David Luiz's rocket of a free kick was over the line. 

16 hours ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

It can but as you say very unbalanced 

Not the same subject, but I the other day, had my 1st red card appeal ... it was Cristiano ronaldo i think he had a yellow and then perhaps a straight red. I may be wrong anyway I've always noticed the option to appeal... but always under the advise the refs had the correct decision, how ever for the 1st time in all the FM I've played something finally changed. Lol I was advised the tackle was not deserved of a red too the appeal and bloody won it !

You wouldn't be able to appeal if it was a second yellow card I believe. Only a straight red can be appealed. Remember a two-yellow is just that, two bookable offence. It is not a red card even thought the expulsion is the same consequence and the red card is used only for visual confirmation (so everyone in the ground can see) that this is a second yellow. 

Edited by Snorks

@gaz&Sacha7 @Snorks What if the player already has a yellow, but then does a straight red foul? I believe the ref would show the red straight away, so it would still be appealable.

Personally every straight red I've had that I can recall has been where they've done something that's animated similar to that move all female superheroes (think Black Widow or Ilsa from M:I) do where they kill a guy by flinging him across the room with their legs, so I've never appealed. 

I had one while managing West Ham, 1-1 away at Arsenal in the 90th minute. Cross field ball to Bellerin, he runs towards the box, my LB closes down, wins ball, lays it off to Wilshire, who sends a long ball forward and we're on the break. Game stops, VAR has flagged a foul against Bellerin and this could be a penalty. So I scroll back and view the incident and can clearly see that the foul is outside the box so I breathe a sigh of relief but gutted as we had a good chance to counter. Refs trots over spends half a minute looking at it and to my absolute shock, gives a penalty. It's the most ridiculous decision. 

I still have the video on my phone if anyone knows how to get videos uploaded on here?

On 20/07/2019 at 11:20, zlatanera said:

@gaz&Sacha7 @Snorks What if the player already has a yellow, but then does a straight red foul? I believe the ref would show the red straight away, so it would still be appealable.

Personally every straight red I've had that I can recall has been where they've done something that's animated similar to that move all female superheroes (think Black Widow or Ilsa from M:I) do where they kill a guy by flinging him across the room with their legs, so I've never appealed. 

Yes, a send-off offence should always be a straight red, So it is possible for a player to receive one yellow and one red card in a game. @gaz&Sacha7 wasn;t sure, I was pointing out the fact that if it was a second yellow there would be no option to appeal, a straight red, there would be.

If the ball is over the line goal line tech kicks in and you get the goal, The replay is only shown to let you know how close it was so it isn't VAR it is just a replay in that situation

On 20/07/2019 at 00:20, zlatanera said:

I believe your right , at least that's how o thought that's how it worked.

I've appealed before out of pure curiousty never winning an appeal. But it just so happens that my assistant pointed out the challenge that was made was was not deserved of red so I cud appeal so I did ... and won.

I'm sure the player already had a yellow and was shown a straight red. I cant confirm because I've have no proof.. lol maybe it's my mind playing tricks but either way .. I won the appeal and and my suspension lifted ! Haha 

I have seen the ball completely over the line once, only by a fraction but it was over. I just put it down to VAR making another mistake.

32 minutes ago, oblongata21 said:

I have seen the ball completely over the line once, only by a fraction but it was over. I just put it down to VAR making another mistake.

In what league? Is goal line technology not in that league? Because if it is then you have seen it wrong and it was not completely over the line

10 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

VAR and GL technology are two different things. The VAR doesn't have a say in whether the ball crossed the line r not, there is no review or 'clear and obvious error' .

The Goal line tech simply informs the match referee if the ball crossed the line or not.

Never inside the box, after probabily 1000s of games ive played its always the same.

Always a free kick just outside the box

I probably haven't played as many hours as others here yet, but no, I haven't see any of those things. The goal line thing does sometimes seem to be done at the most unnecessary times too. Sometimes it is obvious it didn't go in but it will still show the goal line technology replay and the ball doesn't even touch the line, let alone go over it.

Well, even yesterday I had a situation but the VAR wasn't called so I don't think it applies. The ball crossed the line, the commentary at the button said something like "did the ball crossed the line??" and some seconds after the goal was awarded. Despite this, we have to say: if the game is supposed to truly mimic reallity, the referees commit too few mistakes in-game. Should be much more, specially in certain countries like mine...

I just had a foul inside the box and reviewed and a penalty was given. First time in like 200 matches on this save that it happened but it can happen. 

Edited by LetsTalkAbout6Baby

I always assumed that the ref was 100% correct on all calls in this game in all versions current and past. Computer precision. I dunno if there's any proof that refs ever made mistakes in any version. I would welcome ref mistakes in the game honestly. Imagine ref attributes affecting decisions...

The inclusion of VAR certainly was nice, just adding some realism..but it's so repetitive. And the ref takes 4 years to get to the monitor. An option to fast forward reviews or something can sort it out I guess.

6 hours ago, Warrenwwr said:

I always assumed that the ref was 100% correct on all calls in this game in all versions current and past. Computer precision. I dunno if there's any proof that refs ever made mistakes in any version. I would welcome ref mistakes in the game honestly. Imagine ref attributes affecting decisions...

The inclusion of VAR certainly was nice, just adding some realism..but it's so repetitive. And the ref takes 4 years to get to the monitor. An option to fast forward reviews or something can sort it out I guess.

I believe some referee errors are in the game intentionally, have no idea what the proportion/number expected is though. You also have to make allowances for the users knowledge of the Laws, most of which is gained from commentators and pundits. As a former referee I despair at the general low-level of understanding that abounds in the game.

I agree the option to switch off or 'skip' the VAR animation would be nice. It is an option for Goal-line replays. Also, why is there no reaction from the crowd when the decision is awarded? Surely, if you are the home team, the opposition have been denied a possible penalty by VAR wouldn't the fans cheer? 

I don't see the point of the hawkeye goal line replay. If it's over it will be given as a goal. If it isn't it's a waste of time.

I've seen loads of free-kicks given just outside the box, rather than a penalty, though.

I really would be interested to see if anyone has ever had VAR rule the ball went over the line. Because if not, then it really is a completely pointless feature that just wastes time.

On 28/07/2019 at 09:36, WojciechZed said:

I really would be interested to see if anyone has ever had VAR rule the ball went over the line. Because if not, then it really is a completely pointless feature that just wastes time.

Refer to my earlier post. VAR is not GL technology. The VAR does not get involved with whether or not the ball crossed the line. If the referee's watch buzzes to signal the ball crossed the line, there is nothing the VAR can do about it, he/she cannot overrule.

GL technology is completely separate system, it does one thing and one thing only. It cannot be disputed, or reviewed by anyone. It is a binary decision - it was or it was't.

Edited by Snorks

1 hour ago, WojciechZed said:

Ok goal line technology. Whatever the name, my question/point still stands.

So has it ever ruled the ball over the line? Well, yes, every time a goal is scored. 

If the ball crosses the line legally, it's a goal.

11 hours ago, Snorks said:

So has it ever ruled the ball over the line? Well, yes, every time a goal is scored. 

If the ball crosses the line legally, it's a goal.

I think you know what I mean. In FM has it ever shown the goal line technology review and decided the ball went over the line?

12 hours ago, WojciechZed said:

I think you know what I mean. In FM has it ever shown the goal line technology review and decided the ball went over the line?

I have never see it but neither can I think of a reason for them to show it - if it's a goal it's a goal regardless of how far it crossed the line by.

Mind you, I can't really see the reason for them showing me when it isn't either tbh - other than a bit of 'Television fluff'.

Apologies @WojciechZed if I came across as  a bit condescending - a poor attempt at humour on my part :-)

11 hours ago, Snorks said:

Mind you, I can't really see the reason for them showing me when it isn't either tbh - other than a bit of 'Television fluff'.

That exactly is the point, it becomes an annoying feature very quickly. 

I finally also had a penalty not given after VAR review. Unfortunately, the decision was against us in a Champions league final which we eventually lost to Bayern in extra time. I was already celebrating.... *sigh*

Btw,  does somebody have actual data on how often IRL a VAR review results in a penalty being awarded vs not?

11 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

Btw,  does somebody have actual data on how often IRL a VAR review results in a penalty being awarded vs not?

I don;t know if there is enough true data t gain a reliable statistic yet, given that most VAR competitions have been in trial. Plus the factor that for the decision to go to VAR somebody has t think there is a chance it was a penalty in the first place, which weights the result somewhat.

Once the major leagues are using it for real rather than trial, that information will be around quite a lot I would think.

I guess this is a bit off topic but IMO IRL football VAR is very poor. The  authorities only have to look at rugby (especially league) and cricket to see how it should be used.

52 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

I guess this is a bit off topic but IMO IRL football VAR is very poor. The  authorities only have to look at rugby (especially league) and cricket to see how it should be used.

It's the match referee pitch side monitor that annoys me. That's what takes the time.

We had a season trial here, where VAR was used, if there was an incident, VAR reviewed it while the game continued.  If VAR couldn't make a decision within 30secs  nothing happened, the referee's original decision stood.  If the ball went out of play during those 30secs, match ref signaled he was waiting on a review and would restart the game according to that review.

Occasionally you would see a player appeal and ref would point to his earpiece, player accepted that there was a review and got on with the game knowing the decision would come through. Ref could quickly and quietly say "Review please, penalty/handball blue #4" and continue the game with no hold up. 

As a spectator, you hardly knew it was there, but there was an increase in correct decisions, a reduction in players appealing and surrounding referees, the in-stadium fans would call 'VAR'  and the game just carried on, no hold-ups, delays or ridiculous theater of the ref running half the length of the pitch, watching TV for a bit, and then affirming his original decision. A five minute delay to the game is way too long. A time limit is needed.

On 25/07/2019 at 04:22, Snorks said:

VAR and GL technology are two different things. The VAR doesn't have a say in whether the ball crossed the line r not, there is no review or 'clear and obvious error' .

The Goal line tech simply informs the match referee if the ball crossed the line or not.

My mistake, i was referring to goal line technology, and i could have sworn the ball was over the line completely.

I dont know, maybe my eyes arent what they used to be

I can always tell based on animations, if it was penalty or not. You can tell if it was a foul inside the box or outside, or if it was clean tackle or if the player was pushed etc. Then you have to wait for ref to run to the screen and you know the decision he is going to make. I have seen plenty of VAR decisions that award the penalty. But goal line technology replay is bugged. I have never seen the replay that showes the ball barely crossed the line and goal was given.

It does happen. I had a VAR penalty decision check that was given inside the area as a penalty, but to be honest it was so far inside the box that a VAR check wasn't needed.