Sports Interactive Community
qaramba

Creating a new nation: Problems with surnames

Hi

I decided to create Guernsey and to make the league there and a national team.

To do that I used Kosovo and renamed it to Guernsey. I added  the default Guernsey city with its default region and language. But no matter what I do the regens get surnames from Kosovo. 

How can I fix it?

If you fix this I will sure love do play this. 

Maybe you have to change all names of people with the Kosovo national? 

I actually moved every person from Kosovo to Albania. That didnt change anything. 

Maybe I have to revert it and use Gibraltar instead of. Atleast their names are "normal".

This is an old topic. 

From the looks of it you can't remove any names from a database, only add. This means that the original names are still there as you saw. 

SI hasn't made it possible for us to stop "person names"as they seem to be called in the db from being used. 

You need to use an extinct nation, that's the best solution to have the names you want. Or you can overwrite an English speaking country, like Northern Ireland.

@qaramba I have the same problems editing Andorra nation and creating Sardinian nation to make a sort of "Sardinian indipendent repubblic" divided by Italy.

I've moved all the sardinian clubs who plays in italian competition to a three level competition only with the Sardinian clubs. Of course I've also edited the andorran cities moving them to Spain and moved in the new nation created all the cities with "region" Sardinia who were based in Italy nation. I've added a lot of players with sardinian typical name and surname hoping that the game will take from the db list these information to merge and create name and surname for the newgen but unfortunately I see that for example even if andorran city has been moved to Spain (the deleted with the editor but it doesn't change at all) some of the newgen were created born in these cities not in DB. Above all instead of having Andrea Murgia, Antonio Loi, Massimo Spissu and so on (name and surname who can be typical from Sardinia) I have newgen born in Cagliari or Sassari or Alghero but named Miguel Angel Lozano, Josè Aguilar and so on!

I guess there's something on the FM code which is not allow to edit in a existing nation.

It is possible to alter regen names, just not for all existing nations. Some nations have names hard coded into them - Kosovo and China are two examples, which makes it almost impossible to change the pool of potential names. For countries like Kosovo there is another big problem, which is that some nations will have regens with Kosovo as their second nationality (pretty sure Switzerland and Germany have this due to the large number of Kosovars living there). This, imo, will ruin the immersion. Thus, as others have mentioned, it is best to use extinct nations to create new ones (though one would also have to be careful about which ones to choose, since not all extinct nations are created equal). 

I wrote this post a while ago in another thread. Maybe it can help.

On 19/02/2019 at 17:57, BMNJohn said:

New experiment: I set every ex-Yugoslavian language to have Yugoslavia as a country (as well as Albanian by mistake; damn you Kosovo!). This was in order to see what influence it would have; after all it doesn't make much sense to have a language assigned to a country that doesn't exist, does it? I simulated for roughly 25-30 seasons until the 2040s. And here's a sample of the most noticeable result:

FMGenieScout_2019-02-19_13-04-29.thumb.png.cdedd33e54573c492f02150dd4a04e32.png

So we have a healthy dose Andriy, Vladislav, Sergey, Nikolay or Igor, and very few (if any) last names ending with the trademark Serbian "ović". That sure felt like a blast from the past; slapped by communism right into the name pool! There's a couple of players having Dragan or Aleksandar (co-existing with the Russian variant Alexandr) as a first name, one or two Mitrović, Petković or Bogdan as far as last names go, but that's really it.

So the takeaway here? There is a Yugoslavian name pool, but a melting pot of various Eastern European name... at best. The most shocking thing to me was that the presence and retirement of existing and very real ex-Yugoslavian players didn't seem to have a huge impact on the name pool. That was something I wasn't expecting at all; I'm very used to read the influence of the name of real players to the name pool of the nation/language. Compare and contrast with a save with an empty database and languages still linked to the now extinct nations (so nothing but regens):

FMGenieScout_2019-02-19_15-48-06.thumb.png.bc7bea4524f8e728ebb91a325ceca81e.png

Sounds a lot more Balkanese, ain't it?

Oh, additionally that experiment seems to do very little to the probability of dual-citizenship in other countries. I had loaded Australia by curiosity, a known land of emigration for Balkanese players and country where a lot of players hold both a Balkanese (plus Greece) and an Australian passport. Had 5 players in the 2040s with dual Yugoslavian/Australian citizenship, and obviously they had English names; what else would make sense after all? A far cry from what it actually is in reality, where the Australian league is filled with such players.