Sports Interactive Community
crusadertsar

Advanced Tactics Primer - Improving 4-2-3-1 Possession Tactic via One-Twos

Posted (edited)

In case people do not see it (I know that wolf gif is very distracting :) )

Tactic Download: https://ufile.io/xnwyx9ef

I will discuss the team instructions and individual instructions more in depth in the future entries. For now you can try it out and see how it works for your team. Although you will need a pretty technical team with good passing, first touch as well as good decisions and team work (for One-twos to work well, sorry forgot to mention that in article). Also will need decent level of composure and balance in order to hog the ball better. Enjoy and let me know how it works for you! I'm always looking for ways to tweak it.

PS: Woohoo My 300th post!

Edited by crusadertsar

Excellent read and I'll give it a go. Right up my street as you can probably gather from my username.

5 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Just given this an upvote, it's a very good article and I like the Hammer & Anvil that it links to as well.:applause:

Thank you for the kind words :) I'm glad you enjoyed them both. Theres also the Shadow Striker article that serves as a link between the two in case you missed it

I have a question about the CM-Su. What is the reasoning for the particular player instructions for him?  I get the settings for the rest (even if I think the RB is a bit aggressive) but the CM-Su has me stumped. Are you trying to get him to play like a Carr without setting him as such?  Why do you want both CM’s dictating tempo, particularly the RCM (the DLP makes sense)?

1 hour ago, nick1408 said:

I have a question about the CM-Su. What is the reasoning for the particular player instructions for him?  I get the settings for the rest (even if I think the RB is a bit aggressive) but the CM-Su has me stumped. Are you trying to get him to play like a Carr without setting him as such?  Why do you want both CM’s dictating tempo, particularly the RCM (the DLP makes sense)?

That was actually my reasoning. I was trying to make CM(S) role as a mix between carrilero and ballwinning midfielder. In a sense I want him to be another holding midfielder but play with more physicality, defensive intent than my DLP. I want him to hold his position and intercept the ball in the midfield. With Carrilero alone you cannot set "hold position" while ballwinning midfielder goes around chasing the ball too much (which goes against my whole holding midfield idea). I need my midfielders to be a solid rock in front of defence which allows my wingbacks to act much more aggressively, especially on the right. And they do, My right back Florenzi turned into a crossing machine with 13 assists so far. At the same time if my two midfielders are holding in the middle, with little movement to the front (with the exception of late runs forward thanks to Arrives Late in the Area PPM which is great and I have it on 3 out 4 of my midfielders) my forwards risk being isolated. For this reason both of my midfielders need to be exceptional passers so having dictate the game PPM is key here as it helps them control the pace of the game. They should be able to switch between short and long thorough passes depending on the flow of the game and to inject some unpredictability into our patient possession game. Otherwise it risks turning into stale game of 1000 sideways passes so to speak. At its best Barcelona team would field several players in midfield able to dictate the game. Anyway this is just my hypothesis. Although so far its going as well as I predicted. It could just mean that I'm just lucky with the players I have in my midfield

Thanks for the extra detail. It all makes sense. I know Roma has an embarrassment of riches with great central players but to see your explanation certainly does help.

I do have trouble translating ideas into tactics in the game so between you, @Rashidi, @Experienced Defender and some I'm missing it does help. I especially like seeing the tactics like this so I can ask questions like the above. 

4 hours ago, nick1408 said:

Thanks for the extra detail. It all makes sense. I know Roma has an embarrassment of riches with great central players but to see your explanation certainly does help.

I do have trouble translating ideas into tactics in the game so between you, @Rashidi, @Experienced Defender and some I'm missing it does help. I especially like seeing the tactics like this so I can ask questions like the above. 

Its an honour for me to be mentioned in the same sentence as @Rashidi and @Experienced Defender, as I have great respect for their advise. Those guys are really able to cut apart the tactical part of the game and play the game on a whole new level. I've been trying to emulate that. But also some of my tactical musings should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I tend to get excited about real world ideas and try to translate them into the game. But then I realize that my understanding of the game concepts is still not great enough to do this as accurately as I wish. To cut it short, its a constant learning process and I'm very happy to share my learning experience with yourself and others who follow my stories. So far its been a great ride. Thanks for the support everyone! 

Edited by crusadertsar