Sports Interactive Community
DownTheFrank

Best way to max out a player's potential : From your experience

What are some of your tried and true strategies for getting the best out of very high potential players. 

I want examples from people's past experiences and not just opinions please. 

I have a few really good young players in my save who have developed very well, but seem to not be growing anymore in attributes i want them to grow further in. I know they still have some growth left in them and i'm currently seeing them progress in attributes that arent very meaningful for their positions, like long throws for a forward. Is it better for me to use the remaining potential to train them for new positions ? Has it worked out great for anyone here ?

Thank you 

Training new position wont use their potential. I have a lot of regens i developed into top players and my advice would be give them playing time.

6 minutes ago, Filke said:

Training new position wont use their potential. I have a lot of regens i developed into top players and my advice would be give them playing time.

I have given them playing time, these guys in question are in their 20s now  and although well developed they seem to be developing the wrong attributes despite targeted training and i want to know of other ways to improve them. 

I got this regen:

https://gyazo.com/6b5022d9ad55881eef679bae21263ca7

He's already good enough for my first team, so I'm planning to give him plenty of football. I believe he'll be a beast within a couple of seasons or so.

https://gyazo.com/f5bdbb6522922f6a1c20b90266b9a9fe

This is another one I have high hopes for, but unfortunately will have to stay at U19 for another season, since he's not allowed to play senior football just yet.

So yeah, my two cents about your question - play youngsters as much as possible, this is the best way to help them develope faster.

40 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

I have given them playing time, these guys in question are in their 20s now  and although well developed they seem to be developing the wrong attributes despite targeted training and i want to know of other ways to improve them. 

You can focus their training to develop attributes needed for role they are playing in your tactic, but still they will maybe develop few attributes that are not needed that much but its not that bad.

1 hour ago, DownTheFrank said:

What are some of your tried and true strategies for getting the best out of very high potential players. 

I want examples from people's past experiences and not just opinions please. 

Just play them. In the past players would improve way faster. In that opus, players need a lot of time and playing time to improve.

I've got a couple of regens who seemed pretty far from being really good, but by loaning them like 3-4 seasons, they got there. Took them time though, way more that in the past.

Il y a 2 heures, JeffDogg a dit :

Just play them. In the past players would improve way faster. In that opus, players need a lot of time and playing time to improve.

I've got a couple of regens who seemed pretty far from being really good, but by loaning them like 3-4 seasons, they got there. Took them time though, way more that in the past.

This. I failed to brought some of my youth to max potential by not playing them enough. I started a new save and I plan to drop the usual two squad rotating each game. It seems to me that this is blocking my youth development because they dont play enough. I will now limit myself to a 19 man squad, and will pick players from U19 in case of injury crisis.

Posted (edited)

This is just my two cents but I think there's a lot of different factors to consider.

Your training/youth facilities and quality of youth coaching staff and HoYD.

The individual player's personality. Unfavourable ones might mean they don't train/absorb coaching as well as they should and thus, don't realise potential.

The general consensus is that you should concentrate on training them up until they are 18 and then expose them to first team football, to maximise development.

The star rating system: This is relative, I believe, to the players currently at your club and obviously influenced by how good your staff are at judging ability/potential too. So you may not always get a truly accurate reading of a player, depending on the quality of your staff.

From personal experience, personality is really key. You need to get kids with good potential mentored until they have a favourable personality and then once they are 18, give them games or loan them out to clubs who'll give them first team/valuable status.

EDIT: Also... Players may not hit their full potential until they are 22, 23, 24 or 25 or so, depending on position and all the factors above, so there's always a chance that you might give up on someone too early.

Edited by davehibb