Sports Interactive Community
Muttley84

Hansa Rostock - The East strikes back

928.png

Hansa Rostock are a club from Rostock - the largest city in the German federal state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. After a tumultuous history in the former East German competitions, they won the title just in time to be included in the newly Bundesliga after the reunification. Some could argue that their run of 10 consecutive seasons (1995-2005) in the Bundesliga made them the most successful side from Eastern Germany (although their best position was just a 6th place). Hansa is currently lingering in the German 3rd Division with no prospects to climb back again in the top League, although their facilities are pretty good, especially the youth facilities (they won German U19 Championship in 2013 and runner-up in 2010).

Introducing therefore manager Henry Borwin which has a pretty easy task to start, just a mid-table finish expected of him. But the long term expectations (or at least the ones set as personal objectives) are much more than this. Playing in FM Touch 19 with the 19.3 database the objectives are as follows:

(1) Sign a maximum number of players per season: 2 German + 1 Swedish players.

(2) Favor youth players produced at the Club.

(3) Bring a national trophy at the club.

(4) Be the best team in former East Germany.

Our team is not that bad as one would expect from our finishes in the last editions of the league. We have good options especially in the midfield of the field. The weakest parts seem to be the attacking midfielders department (especially if looking to play a 4-2-3-1 control possession tactics). Also, not a lot of viable options in the second team, where 3 out of the 7 players are goalkeepers. On the positive side we only have two players on loan from other clubs, on the negative side a lot of contracts running out in the next summer of 2019. Here we go.

Hansa-Rostock_-Players-Players47f22df835

Hansa-Rostock_-Players-Players-24faba6a6

Hansa-II_-Players-2nd-Team65f12a1a572258

Well, the preseason did go exactly as planned, but considering our opponents were mainly affiliated clubs from lower divisions that was not much of a challenge. We scored at will against them but don't know how indicative that is for a good performance against 3rd league opposition. I think we will know that soon enough as we are opening the season at Wehen (predicted 5th) and in August we are meeting Kaiserslautern (2nd) and Karlsruhe (4th) in the league and Hamburg in the cup. We will know then if the prediction of us finishing 7th has some realism. Only two signings this summer, as we could not find a good Swedish player willing to come to us, the two Germans being Timo Gebhart who returns to us to provide cover for the AMC position and Melvin Krol who is pretty terrible but the best we could find to play on the wings. 

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures4917de75b7

Henry-Borwin_-Inbox4e6c86edf284c1e9.png

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

Nice. You´re playing on the switch, right?

Nope. FMTouch on PC (actually two of them - home and at work with the save on dropbox). 

A dream start of the season, Apart from the draw away at Wiesbaden (which is not that bad considering they are a good team) we won every single game of the league (including the cherry on the top a 5-1 thrashing of Kaiserslautern away). The only downside was that we were out of the 1st round of the German Cup - Hamburg proved to be to strong for us.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures93ffe6d9e3

3-Liga_-Overview-Profiled5d442b4c6ec8527

Things got back to normal in September, as we alternated good performance with not so good one. We lost our first game of the league in a east-german derby against Energie Cottbus, and only managed a draw at home to 1860 Munchen and away to Meppen. We are still sitting in 1st but it is a tight league so to early to tell.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixturesfb82ad8c06

3-Liga_-Overview-Profile8858be1aafd6a00f

Hertha Berlin isn't really considered as an east german club as it was a part of the Bundesliga and played in the west when Berlin and Germany was divided. Union Berlin is the best east german team from Berlin. 

14 minutes ago, Velodromè said:

Hertha Berlin isn't really considered as an east german club as it was a part of the Bundesliga and played in the west when Berlin and Germany was divided. Union Berlin is the best east german team from Berlin. 

Yes I know that, but... my house my rules :) One could also argue that Dynamo is the best east german team from Berlin. But since I dont think them or Union can challenge for the top league I picked some alreadg there to create some friendly competition and aditional reasons to keep the save going. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

Yes I know that, but... my house my rules :) One could also argue that Dynamo is the best east german team from Berlin. But since I dont think them or Union can challenge for the top league I picked some alreadg there to create some friendly competition and aditional reasons to keep the save going. Cheers.

Roger that. On that note Dynamo Berlin was an interesting club back in the day, the favourite club of Erich Mielke, also known as the head of the Stasi in DDR. The legitimacy of their titles could be discussed =) 

Good luck with your challenge, will follow it. Did something similar myself last year, as Chemie Leipzig, but never got all the way to the top of 1. Bundesliga. 

7 minutes ago, Velodromè said:

Good luck with your challenge, will follow it. Did something similar myself last year, as Chemie Leipzig, but never got all the way to the top of 1. Bundesliga. 

Thanks. Funny enough last year I played with Lokomotive Leipzig :) enough to buy one of their shirts, but Bundesliga 2 got to me and I got the sack. Should be a bit easier with a club like Hansa.

15 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Nope. FMTouch on PC (actually two of them - home and at work with the save on dropbox). 

Oops. Playing it on my switch and it looks exactly like that. But then again, of course because it´s the touch version... Good luck with Hansa - you seem to be on a good run :) Keep it up!

We continued our good run of results in October also. Cause it was a slow month I've even throw in a friendly game against VFL Bochum in there to make some money and give playing time to rotational players. We are sitting 1st in the league and we couldn't be happier.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixturesc5c96907f6

3-Liga_-Overview-Profile9e3e1e5940d42d7f

Don't know who's behind the scheduling made in the German Third division but November was the second month in a row with just 3 matches. Which in a league of 38 stages seems a bit weird, but cant really complain, as we got 6 points out of them. We surprisingly lost at home to Braunschweig (man it takes me ages to even try and spell this names). Somehow our performance so far was enough for the board so I already signed a new contract with the club. We are two matches away from the half mark and we are looking rather solid in the race for promotion. Common, we can do this.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures6d1c0c4022

3-Liga_-Overview-Profilec00850d4e617a43c

Henry-Borwin_-Inboxe925a7e372ea8771.png

December was a pretty poor month for us, as we only won one game. We ended the year in abysmal form losing deserved at Fortuna Cologne (which are battling relegation). We are still somehow first in the league, but its getting pretty tight at the top of the league, with just 7 points between 1 and 7th.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures7b0b5f22f7

3-Liga_-Overview-Profile0f20012fab7ab469

January was a month packed with friendlies, as we looked to make some money out of them. Just 2 players left in the January transfer window, Maerveille Biankadi returned home to TP Mazembe and Guillame Cros to Niort. No ins as we already spent our two allocated slots for German players in the summer, and still couldn't find a viable Swedish solution (could be my mistake that I did not activate Sweden leagues also). We started the official matches with a boring 0-0 at home and with hopes that we could get back into a decent game shape soon enough.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures4ea2c2c740

P.S. Does anyone have any idea why my images are restricted to a width of 500? Pretty sure I've seen other with bigger one on the careers forum.

Love hansa Rostock. Tough challenge. Tried it myself in fm16. I went for Kaiserslautern this year. Nice work so far. Following 

10 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Love hansa Rostock. Tough challenge. Tried it myself in fm16. I went for Kaiserslautern this year. Nice work so far. Following 

Yeah, finances are the part worrying me a lot, but not sure the challenges of eastern clubs are well reflected in game. Kaiserautern can be fun also, considered them, but they have to much stuff in their thophy cabinet for my liking.

1 hour ago, Muttley84 said:

Yeah, finances are the part worrying me a lot, but not sure the challenges of eastern clubs are well reflected in game. Kaiserautern can be fun also, considered them, but they have to much stuff in their thophy cabinet for my liking.

A few mid/top half finishes in the 2. Bundesliga and your finances should be fine for a while. Just have to get promoted first =)

When I done Rostock it was the money that killed me. Just have to hope another Toni Kroos in your academy 

We are looking good on our promotion run, still top of the league after February  (although distances at the top are not that big). It is true that we only met mid-table teams this month but hopefully we can keep the good run of results going. 

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixturescd59e2ee51

3-Liga_-Overview-Profilefad19d04954d5ad6

We are not really that great or consistent, but lucky for us neither are the rest of the teams battling for promotion. Still seven matches to play and its a tight race which we are currently leading, but 1860 Munchen are in great form.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures8b7b56779c

3-Liga_-Overview-Profile419c8a8b6f4cb196

Despite an undefeated month (and further more we have not conceded a single goal for six league games now - but that includes a 4 games 0-0 streak) we have lost the first position in the League, and actually only hold to our 2nd place on goal difference. 1860 Munchen is looking set for the title and Uerdingen is breathing in our back. On the positive side, the 3 of us pretty much are guaranteed the first 3 positions, so worst case scenario we will qualify for the play-off matches, which is still a over-achieving for this season. We have away matches at Aalen (relegated already) and Osnabruck (could be saved by the time we meet them) and then we are meeting Uerdingen at home in the last game of the season.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures9dfe03c489

3-Liga_-Overview-Profiled9097cc096fab5fd

A good performance in the end of the season saw us winning 2 and drawing the last game, enough not only for promotion, but also for winning the League.  We will now have to look ahead for next season, but with the self imposed transfer restrictions will have to rely mainly on the players already at the team. 

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures1d19ce0e0f

3-Liga_-Overview-Profilededeb6cf3050a532

Henry-Borwin_-Inboxb111233087132739.png

This are the players which promoted Hansa this season. Out of the team of the season we are going to lose Donkor (getting back to his team after the loan) and probably going to sell Rankovic who is unsettled at the club. Will looking forward to see what the intake brings us this summer and started searching for the three players to join us, although our reputation isnt that great.

Hansa-Rostock_-Players-Players61a19a52ec

Henry-Borwin_-Inboxd0629affdb77eab4.png

1 minute ago, Carambau said:

Congrats on promotion! :applause:

Thanks. It will going to be a struggle next season.

Great first season. Any reason for the Swedish requirement?

4 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Great first season. Any reason for the Swedish requirement?

Just that Hansa made history by fielding 6 Swedish players in a Bundesliga game way back. I think would be a fun challenge to recreate that.

3 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Well done on going up. 

Thanks, it is a struggle already.

Got our first intake of the career, and it is not one that bad. Got some players which can hopefully develop into good options for us, I am not as optimistic about it as our HOYD who always talks about golden generations in the first intakes. Question is when will we be able to use them, as I knew in other editions there was a 17 years old minimum age for players in German leagues, dunno if I am mistaking or it is still a thing.

Henry-Borwin_-Inboxf1905ad8aec70d5e.png

Hansa-II_-Players-2nd-Team619e42fb2ca425

Some of the best players of the intake are below, they don't look great at the moment, but in the same time, they are only 15 years old.

Klaus-Borowski_-Overview-Profilea2f0340e

Tom-Baer_-Overview-Profile9f683c8c9f0e69

Patrick-Mietzelfeld_-Overview-Profile735

We started the season struggling to find new players willing to join Hansa in the second division, giving our financial constraints. We brought in two German players on free transfers - Markus Steinhofer and Lennart Stoll, and a Swedish player on loan - Ryan Johansson. The pre-season was nothing exciting, our lower league affiliates for some morale and Anderlecht for some money. Our board is not very confident ahead of the season, we are expected to struggle against relegation.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures716e6ae410

Henry-Borwin_-Inbox92426a3f4c24107b.png

We are not having the best start in the league, we actually lost all of the first 3 matches and are sitting dead last. Somehow in a fluke of a match managed to get pass Stuttgart in the first round of the Cup in front of an almost full stadium, but that won't matter much if we don't start gathering some points from the league also.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixturesdc6cd3cb7e

Some more additional struggles in the season, as we are yet to win a game. Somehow despite playing an attacking 4-2-3-1 we managed to pull out three 0-0 results (and another 2-2), before losing in an Eastern derby at Magdeburg. We are not dead last in the league (only cause Furth is much worse than us) but we have lost contact with the top, and probably mid-table also. This looks like a hard season as our team proves to be a 3rd league one which cannot easily adjust to the requirements of 2.Bundesliga. We need to recover soon otherwise despite board confidence being secure we are sinking to much in the relegation battle for my liking. 

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixturesbaaa16ed3c

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profile68285a0c35

We finally managed to gather some points as we won two games in the league in October, with Darmstadt and Bielefeld. We also took our revenge in the cup against Madgeburg as we progressed another round, and we now have a little breathing room siting in the play-off place.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures9a1218ccd1

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profilebbe8ea0190

Guess one could say we end the season in some style as we gather another 2 victories (Sandhausen and Uerdingen) and 3 draws which pushed us up to 14th in the league. In the same time we are only a win away from relegation so it's not really enough to celebrate this winter.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures8084ff8b2a

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profile867ef8f08c

We were right not to celebrate to early as our performances dropped again. We are out of the Cup after a loss to Nuremberg, and only won one game (admitted must be a accidental thrashing of Heidenheim who are promotion contenders). We dropped again in the relegation places in a nerve-wrecking season.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixturesa02f0d2f30

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profile67cb97fae4

I am sure you will start to pull away from the relegation zone :thup: 

8 hours ago, john1 said:

I am sure you will start to pull away from the relegation zone :thup: 

We certainly hope so.

March was a slow month with just 3 matches in the league, but we managed to win against relegation-rivals Arminia and jumped over them in the table. Just 7 move games to go and we are in the play-off spot.

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures70ce3399c8

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profilea2ac16d21d

Somehow we managed to win against league leaders and already promoted Regensburg (albeit it was a goal in the 92 minute) and that and the draw against Sandhausen was enough to make us jump to 14th in the league. We are meeting Furth at home and that's a capital match for our staying up chances, we need to win it. Bochum are in mid table zone with nothing to gain so maybe we get something out fo that match also. In the last game we are away at Uerdingen and we don't want to depend on that match. Let's do this!

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures-27575fb52

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profile288104be15

Nope. We did not do it. Somehow the pressure of the last matches got to us and we managed to lose all the last 3 matches (including against the relegated Futh). Therefore we got relegated to the 3rd Division. Although the board did not sack me I won't be continuing this career in which I failed. 

Hansa-Rostock_-Senior-Fixtures42283f03f1

Henry-Borwin_-Inbox-25c722a3ac2d70d7c.pn

2-Bundesliga_-Overview-Profile0fb7b47d58

The end.

Sad to see you finish this. Would have liked to have seen you try and continue onwards