Sports Interactive Community
Big Geordie

Long term saves - do you retire when you reach a certain age?

Just about to turn 70 in my long term save (into Season 2042/43) with Newcastle so am obviously reaching retirement age! Question I wondered - do others retire when you reach a similar age in FM, do you plod onwards or do you start a new game altogether?

As far as I am aware you don't retire however old you are, it is up to you whether when you leave the game ... you can live to be 200+ if you play that long 

I'll let you know if I ever get that far. I think the furthest I've ever gone is about 12 years. I usually do a Liverpool save until I've knocked Fergie and his tin-pot club back down of our perch, then try different bits and pieces.

I never really retire, as i never reached that kind of age (i always start as a 20ish manager so 50 seasons is a lot) i guess i could do a lil role play and retire myself and create a manager with the name one of my clubs' legends and start there

Em 09/07/2019 em 12:08, Heywood JaBlowme disse:

There was an FM player in the news, I can't find the link, but I thought he was something like 250+ years into his save of FM16. 

This one got into the Guinness World Records:

8 hours ago, WorcesterLegend said:

I never really retire, as i never reached that kind of age (i always start as a 20ish manager so 50 seasons is a lot) i guess i could do a lil role play and retire myself and create a manager with the name one of my clubs' legends and start there

Same as me. I think if I got towards 80, I would retire then and start fresh as a new manager, doubt I could start off from the very bottom again, so would probably give myself decent enough rep to manage 3 star reputation teams at least.

On 11/07/2019 at 04:54, markyosullivan said:

Same as me. I think if I got towards 80, I would retire then and start fresh as a new manager, doubt I could start off from the very bottom again, so would probably give myself decent enough rep to manage 3 star reputation teams at least.

Similar to what I do. I always start at the very bottom with an edited database. Usually by the time i turn 70, I would have made it and won a few top leagues, world cup and champions leagues. The fun is a bit missing then so I retire my manager and create a new manager as "the son of the retired manager". It allows me to give this new manager a better reputation from the start so I don't have to start from the bottom. I then try to beat the amount of league wins of the retired manager. Keeps you going for a little while. 

I never get that far. Normally after about 10 seasons I've been sacked so many times by different clubs that nobody will hire me and I end up being a call centre manager selling blu-tack to educational establishments.

I retired my manager in my long running FM11 save at Newcastle Town when we got relegated in my only season in the Premier League. In all other instances I've ended the save when I've gone onto a new version.

I'm still plodding along in the Welsh league. Winning the cl every once in a while. My profile turned 100 about 5 seasons ago...but the age never went over 100. It's the year 2090.

I love a long term save and have never retired, always trying to beat Fergie and become the greatest.

I don’t see why you would retire though? Just go to a different club/country surely?

My long term saves are always journeyman. Go to a club, have a goal in mind for them and one completed move on to the next. Likewise if I can’t complete the goal and I’m getting bored/frustrated I’d just move on to the next project.

Surely the fun is seeing how the database changes and what happens alongside what you achieve with your club? I had any journeyman last year on FM18 and 20 years in Falkirk started becoming the dominant force in Scotland and I was like “how has THAT happened!?!?” Things like that are fun, I’d never retire and go back to the original data.

It caps your age in terms of not increasing to 101 but once reaching 100 you can carry on for as many seasons as you want but your age will be maxed at 100