Any club similar to Athletic Bilbao?

Hey Guys,

Any club similar with a restrictive policy like the Basque only policy at Athletic? I want to start a new save and I feel Athletic might be too easy to start with. OR, is there a way to make it happen with editor? Wouldn't mind going third division and doing a catalan only club too.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, steakfaced said:

Hey Guys,

Any club similar with a restrictive policy like the Basque only policy at Athletic? I want to start a new save and I feel Athletic might be too easy to start with. OR, is there a way to make it happen with editor? Wouldn't mind going third division and doing a catalan only club too.

Thanks!

Nothing is stopping you from making your own restrictions, and sometimes you dont even need the editor. If you are comited you just make a filter list to only show players born in Catalonia and thats your player pool for the entire career. I did something similar in Italy with Calabria region.

29 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

Nothing is stopping you from making your own restrictions, and sometimes you dont even need the editor. If you are comited you just make a filter list to only show players born in Catalonia and thats your player pool for the entire career. I did something similar in Italy with Calabria region.

I want something more hard coded tbh! I can't find anything in the editor that does it for Athletic so I don't know where to start.

13 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Steaua from Romania perhaps? I know that their owner declared few years back that they'll play with Romanian players only. Guadalajara from Mexico. Haven't heard of any other cases...

Ah Chivas is a really good shout actually..

An interesting one would be Sangmu in South Korea, who are a bit of a yo-yo club currently in K League 1. They're a team comprising of the South Korean players who are serving their 2 years' mandatory military service (maybe Son would've played for them if he hadn't won gold at the death!).

So in-game, you'd be signing Korean players who are 26/27 and haven't won a relatively major trophy (World Cup, AFC Asian Cup, Olympics, Asian Games) with the national team (or at least done notably well (think 2002) or got at least a silver or bronze medal to argue special dispensation), then after 2 years' service you have to sell them (realistically, back to their previous club) or release them!

RB Leipzig only sign players under 24 (I think they made an exception recently though) with strictly no wage higher than about 75k - 80k Euros a week.

I'm sure there are more with an Atheltic Bilbao style policy, but can't remember. I'd be looking at obscure and minor clubs playing in other countries or representing a territory, like San Marino Calcio (but they don't have such a policy) or Hong Kong.

Edited by git2thachoppa

1 hour ago, git2thachoppa said:

An interesting one would be Sangmu in South Korea, who are a bit of a yo-yo club currently in K League 1. They're a team comprising of the South Korean players who are serving their 2 years' mandatory military service (maybe Son would've played for them if he hadn't won gold at the death!).

So in-game, you'd be signing Korean players who are 26/27 and haven't won a relatively major trophy (World Cup, AFC Asian Cup, Olympics, Asian Games) with the national team (or at least done notably well (think 2002) or got at least a silver or bronze medal to argue special dispensation), then after 2 years' service you have to sell them (realistically, back to their previous club) or release them!

RB Leipzig only sign players under 24 (I think they made an exception recently though) with strictly no wage higher than about 75k - 80k Euros a week.

I'm sure there are more with an Atheltic Bilbao style policy, but can't remember. I'd be looking at obscure and minor clubs playing in other countries or representing a territory, like San Marino Calcio (but they don't have such a policy) or Hong Kong.

Oh I've heard of Sangmu I think they just reached the cup quarterfinals! 

Leipzig would be far too easy tho.

6 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

How did you do that? List every city in the Calabria region as Place of Birth on the filter?

20 minutes ago, Cal585 said:

How did you do that? List every city in the Calabria region as Place of Birth on the filter?

Exactly what I did cause I played on Touch. Alternatively on full version you can use the editor and add (Calabria) to the name of each city there :)

I know who I was thinking of now!

There's a team in Singapore with a suspiciously Japanese name, and when I looked them up it turned out they're pretty much a Japanese club playing in Singapore. Apparently they have or had a policy in FM, but in real life their squad has some Brazilians and Singaporeans.

Anyway I bumped into them and these other ones that haven't been mentioned yet, I don't know if they still apply so I'll just list them:

Albirex Niigata Unicorn (Singapore) - Only Japanese players(?)

FC Romania (England) - Only Romanians

El Nacional (Ecuador) - Only Ecuadorians

Fuli (Hong Kong) - Only Hong Kongese

Saprissa (Costa Rica) - Only Costa Ricans

Queen's Park (Scotland) - Only amateur players/contracts (though there was a bit of scandal a few years ago)

Edited by git2thachoppa

5 hours ago, davehibb said:

I noticed recently in game that Chemnitzer in Germany are hardcoded not to sign non EU players. Not really Bilbao levels of restriction but it's a start I guess :D

Is the club itself hard-coded or just the division they play in? 3.Liga and below aren't allowed to sign non-EU players.

Can assure you I've signed non-EU players for Chemnitzer after being promoted and assume Dynamo Dresden would have the same restriction if they got relegated (and any existing non-EU players would be ineligible for games) 

Though a self imposed German only signing policy would be fun anyway, given how much affordable quality there is in Germany

Edited by enigmatic

Ah, my bad. I stumbled upon it and thought it was the club and not a division wide rule.

I think it might be cool to add something like this as a board request/option in future FMs, as a lot of players enjoy the 'home-grown' type challenges.

14 hours ago, davehibb said:

Ah, my bad. I stumbled upon it and thought it was the club and not a division wide rule.

I think it might be cool to add something like this as a board request/option in future FMs, as a lot of players enjoy the 'home-grown' type challenges.

You don't need the board to restrict you though, right? Plus it's something that would be decided at a board level, and the manager has to deal with it or they hire one that matches their policy. Nowadays anyway.

Granted, I'm assuming FM isn't going to go super realistic and become 'Head Coach 2020' and restrict our options to just team selection (if that) and tactics and have us get fired every season regardless of performance and trophies, but still!

Yeah for sure, it can be self imposed for those that like to do home grown or youth academy saves. I just thought it would be a nice little feature in game to be able to choose a home grown transfer strategy as well as developing youngster and playing attacking football etc.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an older post but I'm very curious about this topic as well.

Surely there's someone clever enough who figured out how to edit the data files so that, for example, Manchester United can only sign English players - in the same way that Bilbao can only sign Basque players.

Has anyone found a solution?

17 minutes ago, Mackie13 said:

Sorry to dig up an older post but I'm very curious about this topic as well.

Surely there's someone clever enough who figured out how to edit the data files so that, for example, Manchester United can only sign English players - in the same way that Bilbao can only sign Basque players.

Has anyone found a solution?

It's fairly easy to do in the FM19 advanced editor rules. To get to this kind of screen, open editor --> rules --> add nation rules --> add lower divisions and cups --> pick your nation, then go to rules --> convert to advanced rules. Every division has an associated "fixture rules index," which is 0 for the turkish superlig but might not be 0 for the Prem, then edit the lower tiers too if you want.

unknown.png

edit: I wouldn't expect this kind of file to work in 20 yet though

Edited by Ruh Roh

1 hour ago, Ruh Roh said:

It's fairly easy to do in the FM19 advanced editor rules. To get to this kind of screen, open editor --> rules --> add nation rules --> add lower divisions and cups --> pick your nation, then go to rules --> convert to advanced rules. Every division has an associated "fixture rules index," which is 0 for the turkish superlig but might not be 0 for the Prem, then edit the lower tiers too if you want.

unknown.png

edit: I wouldn't expect this kind of file to work in 20 yet though

Thanks - I didn't know this.

So can you specify

(1) just one team in a league to have restrictions and

(2) those restrictions to apply to another nationality? ie Manchester United is and English club but can only sign Scottish players (for lolz of course)

In China every team can't sign non Chinese goalkeepers, so just load the editor up (in 19 until 20 is released) and select any Chinese team, look in the advanced rules and see what is hard coded for them to only sign Chinese keepers, then just change it for whatever team you are to whatever rule you want.

On 07/07/2019 at 20:26, git2thachoppa said:

Queen's Park (Scotland) - Only amateur players/contracts (though there was a bit of scandal a few years ago)

Worth mentioning they vote today on whether to retain amateur status, or turn professional. 

Theyve recently been forced out of Hampden by the SFA, and the league pyramid has opened up to allow the bigger non-league sides access to the league system. Add in the ridiculous "Project Brave" which forces every club to pay a fortune to simply be allowed to have a youth team, and they're prime candidates to disappear completely if they dont turn professional now. The amount of money they lose out on because youth players can move on for nothing is incredible.

They'd, for instance, have got a percentage of Robertson to Liverpool.

2 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

As far as I know, Bilbao are hard coded to only be able to sign basque players, so it is not something you can do with the editor. The closest is to make league-wide rules.

Isn't their a mexican side with similar rules?

Chivas

18 hours ago, Mackie13 said:

Thanks - I didn't know this.

So can you specify

(1) just one team in a league to have restrictions and

(2) those restrictions to apply to another nationality? ie Manchester United is and English club but can only sign Scottish players (for lolz of course)

Pretty sure you can set it for multiple teams, but not positive, don't think I ever tested it like that.

I think the English leagues all count players from the home nations (Scotland, Wales, NI) as "non-foreign," so there isn't actually a way to make it English-only per se.

Edited by Ruh Roh

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning they vote today on whether to retain amateur status, or turn professional. 

Theyve recently been forced out of Hampden by the SFA, and the league pyramid has opened up to allow the bigger non-league sides access to the league system. Add in the ridiculous "Project Brave" which forces every club to pay a fortune to simply be allowed to have a youth team, and they're prime candidates to disappear completely if they dont turn professional now. The amount of money they lose out on because youth players can move on for nothing is incredible.

They'd, for instance, have got a percentage of Robertson to Liverpool.

For anyone interested, they voted to turn professional. So if you're wanting to do their challenge as an amateur team, then you might not have very long to start it as I imagine the full release will remove them as being hard coded amateurs.

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

For anyone interested, they voted to turn professional. So if you're wanting to do their challenge as an amateur team, then you might not have very long to start it as I imagine the full release will remove them as being hard coded amateurs.

Pretty sure this is something you can easily edit back in though.