Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Stubear

Fm 2019 unrealistic

Stupid second legs!!

Sports interactive you have a great game but you need to sort this crappy problem when you win a champs league first leg game  4.0 every year then lose 5.0 in the second leg. This has happened 5 times in 7 seasons now. Getting boring. Anyone else with this same issue??

Posted (edited)

Can't say I have, I have "seen" and "experienced" it though through Players who send me their pkms.

We're Talking stuff like:

- Player fields no proper defense whatsoever (which the game allows, and which the AI is completely unable to spot)
- Player wins the first leg big time
- AI in the second leg figures it Needs to make a big Change in order to still have a Chance.
- The Change by chance in return leg thoroughly exploits all that cans of space 

Example of this off a Prior release: Player fields a makeshift back three consisting of a LB -- CB -- RB. This visibly opens channels in between the three defenders as wide as the hips of Kim Kardashian. In the return tie, the AI makes a Change to 3 central Forwards, the outer of which sitting in that Yards of space…. exploiting and tearing the Player defense a new one upon each interception. First leg: 7-0 -- second leg 1-8 (and this isn't made up).

In any case, if something repeats, it damn sure isn't just "bad luck" aka every shot flying in against all odds. (High scoring games on FM very rarely involve but luck….)

tldr; SI, fix the nonsense you can still microtweak yourself into into the game's tactical UI (including optional man marking of centre backs causing them to be all over the place etc.) -- plus fix your AI. :D 

Edited by Svenc

38 minutes ago, Stubear said:

Stupid second legs!!

Sports interactive you have a great game but you need to sort this crappy problem when you win a champs league first leg game  4.0 every year then lose 5.0 in the second leg. This has happened 5 times in 7 seasons now. Getting boring. Anyone else with this same issue??

If this is happening as regularly as you say, then it would be good if you let us know exactly what you, as manager, have done to combat this happening by your tactical instructions in the second leg.

I once won a game 6-0 and then lost the second leg 7-0 but that was on FM17 I think and I was playing as the Portsmouth manager in the Europa league so we punched WELL ABOVE our weight when we beat them. But the total defeat made me realize that my defenders are basically not good enough when the pressure it right at them. 

In short new goal keeper and CB's my friend. 

Posted (edited)

Eh, ultra high-scoring games, in particular on FM, doubly more if they repeat typically involve Yards of space on almost every single interception/Opposition attack. Which is tactical at the root (or a possible bug caused by tactical instructions). 

As argued, the AI on this game isn't actually intelligent. Or you would be exploited like this every single match, rather than one in thousand times by random Chance. However, for as Long as you put something halfway coherent into the tactical UI (which still allows tons of nonsense you would never see on a Football pitch), you should be fine. As soon as you go all experimental, you can end up with a rock&paper scissors Kind of dynamism, where the AI suddenly pulls a scissors to your paper(-thin defense) every once in a while.- That's a dynamicism that has Nothing much to do with real-life tactical Dynamics at all, naturally -- as tactical decisions in modern semi/pro football tend to shift the odds in a match a few, not tear any Team a new one.

Edited by Svenc

On 26/06/2019 at 23:57, Stubear said:

Stupid second legs!!

Hey there Enersto Valverde! Nice to see real life managers play FM too, and come here for tips! :lol:

Joking aside, you are doing something wrong in the second legs. Either you have a very attacking tactic that you are not changing to defend your lead against good sides who are going to attack you hard. Or you are being way too defensive defending those leads and are inviting pressure for good teams. I cannot tell which from the info, but usually I expect the former when I have come across these things before.

If you have a 4-0 lead from the first leg you know you are going to be attacked hard. This means two things. You need to shore up your defense to minimize chances you give up. If you are normally very attacking, it means being less attacking. Attacking tactics give away a whole bunch of space for free, usually by pushing defenders high up the pitch. Stop giving that space when you need to defend a lead. The second thing is that you know there is going to be a lot of space for you to exploit, since the AI will be doing exactly what I just described. I handle this by playing my fastest attackers to exploit and run into this space on counters, while stopping any heavy pressing and defending in numbers and denying space. This is usually pretty successful, and I have never lost a 4-0 first leg lead. I have been eliminated by a 40 yard wonder goal in the 92nd minute of the second leg to lose on away goals once. But this happens.

Well if you are up by that much 2nd leg then a suggestion would have been to say flood midfield, play counter attack as the opposition may be all out attack, you may get a goal on the break, maybe some tough tackling on their play maker. The best striker in the world cant score goals if you prevent his team mates passing to him

However do look at real life e.g. Champions League semi finals - sometimes these things do happen