Sports Interactive Community
Peter Morgan

An upgrade (nearly) 20 years in the making!

The game has changed a lot since the CM days, but the bones are the same, so concentrate on the major items and leave the micromanagement for the moment.  The Tactics forum and their guides are a good place to start

Posted (edited)

Welcome back. I have fond memories of Championship Manager 99/00, as it was my first version of the series.

I did a similar thing to you, going from FM2006 to FM2018. Despite the amount that's been added over the years, for me at least, the game is much more intuitive and easier to get to grips with than it used to be. For a start, It's much easier to get working tactics these days then it was faffing about with sliders in FM2006.

Edited by DementedHammer

I’ll admit I currently have my assistant manager dealing with training - maybe something for me to get involved in at a later date! I’ve read quite a lot of the guides which should hopefully give me a good start, but yes the micro-management side might have to wait for now.

Oddly, the part I’m most looking forward to is the scouting aspect. I very rarely, if ever, used scouts in CM 99/00 as it seemed no matter where I sent them or what criteria I gave them, they always came back saying they couldn’t find anyone suitable - ha!

I also realised after I posted that there are probably alot of people on this forum that weren’t even born when CM 99/00 was released. A sobering thought. Mind you my very first football management game was, in fact, Football Manager. I mean the original Football Manager by the legend Kevin Toms! Played that on my BBC Micro - haha! He started the football management game genre, so we all have alot to be thankful to him for.

Like you i'm one of the 2D match engine users and still remember signing a wonderkid Fernando Torres and a young Samual Eto'o from Mallorca then watching them (flash flash text only) smash 60 goals a piece on the good old days of CM..

I only ever do a Spurs save so will be interested to see how you get on, now you've come out of retirement. Let us know who you sign/let go as the seasons progress. 

Yes I will do. Progress will likely be slow, but if I’m not going to upgrade again for another 20 years I’ve got plenty of time!

On 27/06/2019 at 07:12, Peter Morgan said:

I’ll admit I currently have my assistant manager dealing with training - maybe something for me to get involved in at a later date! I’ve read quite a lot of the guides which should hopefully give me a good start, but yes the micro-management side might have to wait for now.

Oddly, the part I’m most looking forward to is the scouting aspect. I very rarely, if ever, used scouts in CM 99/00 as it seemed no matter where I sent them or what criteria I gave them, they always came back saying they couldn’t find anyone suitable - ha!

I also realised after I posted that there are probably alot of people on this forum that weren’t even born when CM 99/00 was released. A sobering thought. Mind you my very first football management game was, in fact, Football Manager. I mean the original Football Manager by the legend Kevin Toms! Played that on my BBC Micro - haha! He started the football management game genre, so we all have alot to be thankful to him for.

Just a heads-up on this to be mindful there is a slight bug with training that SI are aware of but haven't been able to pin down yet.

When your fixtures are rearranged e.g. when you've progressed to the next round of a cup competition, the rearranged training schedule often "forgets" to have 'recovery' training straight after the match - so you might want to keep an eye on this otherwise you risk more injuries.

Will be interesting to see how you get on - I hope you will keep us updated! 

I went from CM 01/02 to FM 15 (onwards) myself. Truth be told I have never managed to get fully involved with the FM scene, I find myself loading up 01/02 instead even though I've started buying FM regularly too! I guess it's hard to break old habits. 01/02 just ticks all my boxes. :)

Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the future! It's really good to hear feel good stories such as this. 

Championship Manager 2006 (you know, the crappy Eidos ones) was my first. I spent so many years playing that game. I think I got 30/40 seasons into a Manchester United career on there and I remember that I would always sign a young Manuel Neuer, Gonzalo Higuain (who was an AM back then) and Carlos Tevez as my first signings. I used to have a really weird formation which 13 yr old me thought was a good idea (and to a degree it worked). It was a 4-2-3-1 but the 2 were both AMs and the 3 was WGL, FC, WGR with an ST up front :lol:

Thanks to everyone who has replied, either with little bits of advice or with memories of the CM days!

So I do have an update (of sorts) for you. I say 'of sorts' because I'm a few hours in but haven't pressed 'continue' yet! Expected this to happen though as just trying to get to grips with things.

So what have I done so far?

1. Reviewed all 3 squads (1st team, U23, U18) and noted some of my young players to keep an eye on. Offered new contracts to Vertonghen, Alderweireld, and Dembele (maybe should have negotiated more than I did - lesson for the future I think!).

2. Set up my tactics. I have my main one which will be used majority of the time, a more attacking one for home games against lower league opposition in cups or just struggling prem sides, and a more defensive counter-attacking one for the big away games in league/europe.

3. Tried to set up set pieces. Prob my least favourite part so far (just because it took ages to do!). Wondering if I should have just left it on default and tweaked it now and then! What do others do?

4. I've actually taken a u-turn with training and am now going to take over control of it. What's the worst that could happen eh?

5. Offered contracts to get some more coaches etc... Am I right that to get U23 or U18 staff you need to place adverts? No option that I could see on the staff search screen to search for those positions.

6. Um, read alot more on this forum about stuff and quite alot of youtube (prob too much but useful!).

Anyway, I need to just get on with it now. Got a match tomorrow (whenever tomorrow comes!) against my U23's. As Spurs are so awesome (no bias at all there) most of the 1st team are on holiday following performing at the world cup, so I plan to promote some U23's to the senior squad for pre-season, and if they do well they can stay there.

Must.Press.Continue.

Wish me luck!

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I think my first memory was CM back in 96/97.. I played Spurs or Rangers back then.

1 and 2 are a good start. I'll refrain from spoilers on who to look out for\keep an eye on for now, you'll find them when you play the U23's in pre-season

3. Always worth setting up, and I too, hate this part. But I get\have\develop good set piece takers, and target my best headers, which gets me a few extra goals each season, some in my third season have been worth the extra points.

4. I also take on training for all 3 squads. But very OCD, and much more aimed at developing a certain play style and squad, so it's all tailored. For someone new, Just try basics out, and see how it goes - There is a training thread in the top of the tactics sub-section that will be of use if you are stuck - If you want to do training, take a good look at that and ask anything there as well.

5. You can go to staff search and filter for staff for U23\U18s:

image.thumb.png.4dce485cb9daf7cb14c262350923fbd2.png

Edit search will be new search at first. I further refine that by attribute filters - DDM, WWY + the 3 goalkeeping stats for example. I then drill those numbers down until I get the better coaches.

3 hours ago, plcarlos said:

5. You can go to staff search and filter for staff for U23\U18s:

image.thumb.png.4dce485cb9daf7cb14c262350923fbd2.png

Edit search will be new search at first. I further refine that by attribute filters - DDM, WWY + the 3 goalkeeping stats for example. I then drill those numbers down until I get the better coaches.

Genius! Thank you soo much!

Rejoice people! For I have played my opening match!

A 2-0 victory against the U23's (although some U23's had to play for me due to lack of players!). In fact it was an U23 who got my first goal (great strike from Nkoudou).

Really looking forward to this career now!

I noticed after the game that 2 players had been given the following day off (I think I read somewhere on this forum that this happens automatically if a player finishes the game with condition below 75%?). No problem with that, but the next day I have a recovery session planned. Does this mean those 2 players miss recovery? Sounds a bit counter-productive as a player with low condition could probably do with a recovery session,  but I may have misunderstood how it works. Anyone know?

Oh, I have my training intensity for all my players set to 'auto', so that it keeps to the settings on the intensity section on the 'Rest' tab.