Long throw is still broken

The player being onside is okay (the rest not so much) :

"There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, a corner kick, a throw-in, or a dropped-ball. It is also not an offence if the ball was last deliberately played by an opponent (except for a deliberate save)." 

17 minutes ago, Filke said:

What is the point to report it when it was reported 200 times and still not fixed.

Has this issue really been reported 200 times, or is this just another of your pointlessly exaggerated posts?

Probably a pointless post. If hes not reporting as a bug. and SI generally are doing nothing about it. Personally I use the long throw in my tactics and find it an absolute treat. Why is it a bug ? How many times dose it happen ?

Also what is the bug the fact you were beaten by a goal from long throw and you lost and it got up your snout so it has to be  bug :applause:

27 minutes ago, DementedHammer said:

The player being onside is okay (the rest not so much) :

"There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, a corner kick, a throw-in, or a dropped-ball. It is also not an offence if the ball was last deliberately played by an opponent (except for a deliberate save)." 

Yeah but now days you could actually argue that at least 2,3 players are obstructing or interfering with play / obstructing goalkeeper view perhaps?? thus = a point for VAR clarification. If you wana get technical... :lol:

8 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The marking is a bit iffy here, and at least one of your players should be attributed a mistake leading to a goal. If not I'd flag it

Yeah 4/5 L'pool  players around that ball when it  drops and yet no 1 picks it up. looks like someone defo contributed to the mistake ( couple of years back you might of even said typical liverpool making costly mistakes lol )

13 minutes ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

Yeah but now days you could actually argue that at least 2,3 players are obstructing or interfering with play / obstructing goalkeeper view perhaps?? thus = a point for VAR clarification. If you wana get technical... :lol:

It's a goal - it would be checked by VAR regardless.

4 minutes ago, Snorks said:

It's a goal - it would be checked by VAR regardless.

Yeah. But personally I dont agree with that goal in my personal opinion.

Do you think it would be given IRL Snorks ?? I think there are definite cause for an argument on either side of the spectrum.

2 minutes ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

Do you think it would be given IRL Snorks ?? I think there are definite cause for an argument on either side of the spectrum.

Why would it not be given?  You can't be offside from a throw-in.  The ball is thrown, the next touch is the shot on goal (at which point the shooter is the furthest attacker forward).

Or are you saying this would never happen in real life?  Because, y'know, it probably has.

5 minutes ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

Nope it's a clear goal. Would be allowed.

The only point in the move where offside CAN be committed is when Mbappe strikes the ball at goal. Nobody is unsighting anyone. He cannot be offside from the throw and he is the next player to touch the ball.

When he strikes the shot, there are no attackers ahead of the ball, none between him and the GK, noone in an offside position.

The fact that a goal has been scored guarantees IRL the VAR will look at the build up, in this case, from the throw-in.

This is nowhere near an offside call.

Who do you think is in an offside position, at which point in the play and how do you think they are 'active'? 

Well as they say that football for ya.

Look I'm not saying its NOT a goal I say I disagree it being a goal. 

In my eyes mbappe I believe it is in the clip. interfering with goalkeepers sight in a position that the attacker has the upper hand I thought that , if a players is interfering with the goalkeeper view/line of sight then there is contention for it to be reviewed and left for the ref to make a decision... but it's only game I'm just giving a case for the what ifs... 

5 minutes ago, Snorks said:

Nope it's a clear goal. Would be allowed.

The only point in the move where offside CAN be committed is when Mbappe strikes the ball at goal. Nobody is unsighting anyone. He cannot be offside from the throw and he is the next player to touch the ball.

When he strikes the shot, there are no attackers ahead of the ball, none between him and the GK, noone in an offside position.

The fact that a goal has been scored guarantees IRL the VAR will look at the build up, in this case, from the throw-in.

This is nowhere near an offside call.

Who do you think is in an offside position, at which point in the play and how do you think they are 'active'? 

Okay very good point. And as you've duly pointed out! My knowledge of offside from a throw and interfering with play questions have all been pointed out and explained. Something I thought I had better knowledge of when I clearly did not. Once again spot on :thup:

4 minutes ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

Well as they say that football for ya.

Look I'm not saying its NOT a goal I say I disagree it being a goal. 

In my eyes mbappe I believe it is in the clip. interfering with goalkeepers sight in a position that the attacker has the upper hand I thought that , if a players is interfering with the goalkeeper view/line of sight then there is contention for it to be reviewed and left for the ref to make a decision... but it's only game I'm just giving a case for the what ifs... 

it is what makes the game so endearing lol.

He may be in front of the goalkeeper for the throw in, but you cannot be committing offside from a throw in so it is a moot point. Technically he is not even in an offside position when the throw is taken because there is no offside on a throw, a corner or a goal kick.

Law 13: "It is not an offence to be in an offside position........"

unless certain criteria are met by the player in an offside position, none of which occur in this clip.

3 minutes ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

Okay very good point. And as you've duly pointed out! My knowledge of offside from a throw and interfering with play questions have all been pointed out and explained. Something I thought I had better knowledge of when I clearly did not. Once again spot on :thup:

My previous post was posted at the same time as yours :lol:

2 minutes ago, Snorks said:

it is what makes the game so endearing lol.

He may be in front of the goalkeeper for the throw in, but you cannot be committing offside from a throw in so it is a moot point. Technically he is not even in an offside position when the throw is taken because there is no offside on a throw, a corner or a goal kick.

Law 13: "It is not an offence to be in an offside position........"

unless certain criteria are met by the player in an offside position, none of which occur in this clip.

Brilliant. Explaining. I know now that my thoughts were / are wrong.

But I thought your technically alowing for an advantage no ? Like I'm sure I've seen instances in the prem or world cup last year. But yet possibly those not coming from a throw in. You know.. like being in an offside position and coming onside like interfering with play but as you've pointed out he cant be interfering from a throw in so maybe it topic for a completely differnt question lol. 

9 minutes ago, gaz&Sacha7 said:

Brilliant. Explaining. I know now that my thoughts were / are wrong.

But I thought your technically alowing for an advantage no ? Like I'm sure I've seen instances in the prem or world cup last year. But yet possibly those not coming from a throw in. You know.. like being in an offside position and coming onside like interfering with play but as you've pointed out he cant be interfering from a throw in so maybe it topic for a completely differnt question lol. 

'Advantage' is a tool the ref can use, but the only time this happens with offside is if the defending team has the ball. So, a player in an offside position receives a pass from a team mate and thereby commits offside - BUT has a heavy touch and the ball rolls to the GK who picks it up. The Referee doesn't 'need' to blow for offside as there would be no advantage in doing so - the GK has the ball. Similar if the offending player misses the shot, or it goes out for a goal kick etc. Needlessly stopping the game for an Indirect Free Kick re-start would be pointless.

Most teams when they haven't had to defend against it are like statues. That was pretty much the big thing Stoke exploited massively.

I seem to recall one game against Arsenal with a goal in pretty much the first minute where the ball was thrown in and no one in the Arsenal defence had any idea what to do. 

I suspect the real limitation in FM is that it's not something of a novel strategy that works perhaps for a season or so and teams don't become wise to it. But its been quite a while now since someone had really effective long throws the like Delap had (most lack pace and the low trajectory) so a team probably could do well on the back of them again. 

The confusion Delap caused was almost comical - Right lads, mark up it's a throw in....Oh wait its a corner....no he's throwing it....S##t what just happened?

Wasn't it Delap who caused all the controversy over wiping the ball with a towel before taking the throw? Banned Ball Boys from carrying towels.

11 hours ago, Snorks said:

The confusion Delap caused was almost comical - Right lads, mark up it's a throw in....Oh wait its a corner....no he's throwing it....S##t what just happened?

Wasn't it Delap who caused all the controversy over wiping the ball with a towel before taking the throw? Banned Ball Boys from carrying towels.

I don't know if it was ever banned, but I think a lot of teams stopped providing them because they had to be available to both teams if they were there. There was some issue around it after teams were bringing their advertising hoardings too close to the pitch to try and prevent the throw.

Either way, it didn't stop the towel as Stoke just had one stitched into his shirt for him to use. 

There is something enjoyable having been able to bask in the whole anti-football ethos that surrounded Stoke at the time. It's largely just a shame that Tony Pulis management style of high turnover rate and marquee signings year on year isn't sustainable without going all in financially. When he spots a player its a 1-3 year thing whereas the contracts at the top level are 5 years as standard pretty much.

Archived