Squad status change suggestions??

occasionally in my "transfers and contracts advice summary" emails, I will get a suggestion to change a squad status from rotation to key player. What is the point of this? I feel like if I change the squad status, the player would demand more money. What benefit would I have to increasing a player's status?

In my view there are no advantages to changing a squad status in mid contract, especially if it an increase.   It may mean that other clubs will be less likely to try and buy him but he player will want more game time and a better contract so unless there are some very compelling reasons to change, best left alone.

Squad Status is quite a useful tool if you want to use it. 

It can guide you to how many games a player expects before getting disgruntled with playing time.

It can help with deciding wage/bonuses.

So as a rough guide, and assuming no injuries:

Key Player expects to start around 60% of competitive fixtures

First Team status expects around 50%

Rotation around 40%

I would suspect that your rotation player has been starting regularly hence the suggestion to move him to Key Player status. However, his expectations will rise accordingly - in terms of future appearances and, you are right to think, more money.

Now, you are able to alter this status at any time however, downgrading a status may produce some complaints from the player - I tend to leave this restructure until June/July, as it is much easier to handle. 

Upgrading a player status will encourage him to ask for a new contract 'due to his importance to the team'.

@FrazT just replied as well as  I was typing :-)

I use the squad status to help with contract negotiations, budgeting the wage structure and squad structure as well. I look at it every summer and make some adjustments. My 'sweet spot' is:

First Choice 11 = 2-4 Key Players + 7-9 First Team (Makes up 11)

2nd choice players for each position = 2-4 Rotation (backup to the KPs) + 7-9 First Teamers (rotate with the first choice squad)

Third-choice players are usually U23s on Hot Prospect/Youth or older players seeing out their contract as Backup.

That would be the 'Sweet Spot' and I find I reduce player complaints significantly - I periodically check appearances and select upcoming games to rotate/rest looking to keep the appearances balanced.

In terms of budgeting, I apply the 30/30/30/10 principle that I picked up from someone else, somewhere on this forum I think.

Key Players share 30% of wage budget

First Teamers share 30% of wage budget

Rotation/Backup players share 30% of wage budget

Hot Prospect/Youth contracts share the remaining 10%

This is particularly useful if you are with a smaller club with tight finances but again - is only a rule of thumb.

SO it can be a great tool to use in building a squad and a club philosophy, but like  I say, I use it loosely and review every summer - changing squad status can upset players if they aren't getting enough match starts to match the contract status.

I always change it when they tell me to and to honest, no has ever come  back and complain, even when I have downgraded there status. mind you with a big club with big players it maybe different.

Archived