Struggling with tactics all the time

Hi. I'm a big fan of FM and really like it alot, but the fact and matter is that I suck at tactics. I usually start a save but ends up quiting before I've reached January. I can't create tactics, I just suck. I've watched alot of youtube videos explaining how they work and what would work, and I know that there is no ultimate tactic that works for everything. I've tried the presets, I've tried making my own, and I've tried downloading tactics (allthough I prefer to make my own or use the presets). I struggle alot with knowing how to fix up with the problems that occure. Whenever something happens, like I concede a goal, I can't understand what's going on and what I am doing wrong, I just don't understand it. I've had good saves before but I am slowly on a decline and on the phase of giving up completely, which is quite unfortunate since I have a lot of hours on this game and it's one of my favorites!

If anyone could give me some links for simple tutorials or come with tips to help my motivation or help me get better at tactics that would be great. I know alot about the game and have my routines such as giving my assistant multiple roles that I cannot perform. I also fill up the staff to upgrade it overall wherever I am. 

https://www.guidetofm.com/tactics/choosing-tactical-style

https://www.guidetofm.com/tactics/choosing-roles-duties

Read these and take in both things at the same time for example tactic formations/mentality+ roles and instructions to individual players. I would recommend watching a few games from your old saves. Watch your goals and opposition goals to see the way you defend and attack. Look at the defensive line first, who tracks who and can they do it consistently over the game + other several games. Are your midfield being overun or can they handle the attacks with roles. Are your attackers slow?can they hold up well? do they play well with others such as form, link play etc. 

Just to get a grip of things just play it basic and work your way through little changes and see if they work. Also take into consideration of statistics in games like passing, shots, chances created and the other stuff you think is useful. IMO stick with a 442 as a test save of any club. Make everything default such as PI's and TI's. If some things seem off, check your stats and attributes. Change it bit by bit to suit to your needs. If not then pick a preset, use the links above and use the advice of your own way. It's late for me now but ill send some scrn shots of mine tomorrow and give a low down and explanation of what I want and what happens.    

I'm not great with tactics - there are people on here who've forgotten more about tactics than I know, but I do understand where you are.

In terms of defending - are you conceding the same type of goals?  If, for example, the oppo are getting crosses in and causing mayhem, perhaps your fullbacks/wingers are too attacking.  If you are shipping a bunch of long shots from just outside the area, perhaps your midfield is too aggressive.  If you are using a 4-2-3-1 with wing backs and central midfielders in attacking roles, you might be too open and giving the oppo too much space to operate in.

If you are struggling to score, is it because the oppo is parking the bus and you don't have the movement to break them down - or is the midfield not linking up well with your strikers?

As BigV said above, it might be best to start simply - try a basic 4-4-2 and see what happens.  Perhaps something like:

AF-a    DLF-s

IW-s      CM-d    DLP-s      W-a

FB-a      CD-d    CD-d        IWB-d

From there, see why you aren't winning - you can always post back here and people can help you tweak.  I'm sure with the knowledge from the people on here, you can get something working and get you some wins!

If you dont know what to change then dont tinker just because you conceded.  Keep things simple, if you dont know exactly how you want players to play then give them the freedom to choose.

You've talked a lot about tactics but one of the biggest factors is the players. They can make a good balanced tactic struggle because there attributes and/or traits go against what the tactic is trying to do.

You said you've watched a lot of guides so I dont see any point sending you more.  I think you should pick a club you know well, really look at the players attributes+traits+reports then setup a tactic and post it here explaining your thought process.  Then we might be able to highlight misunderstandings you have.

14 hours ago, eliasojohansen said:

Whenever something happens, like I concede a goal, I can't understand what's going on and what I am doing wrong, I just don't understand it.

Every team is going to concede goals. It is not a reason by itself to change your tactics. Sometimes the opposition will just play well, or have better players, or even get lucky. This is not something to get hung up on by itself. You also have to learn to take defeats on the chin. Nobody likes them, but they will happen.

There are really only two situations where you should be considering making tactic changes because of goals/chances. The first is a general change when you are conceding the same type of goal over and over, against a diverse set of sides. That usually points to a flaw in your setup, which you will want to fix. Usually it just takes some common sense. If you are getting burnt by counters, do not commit so many people forward. If you are giving up too many goals from a given flank, reinforce that flank and give the defenders support. Tactics do not have to be complicated. I will also note here that sometimes you know you are going to be vulnerable to certain goals, but you do not care because it adds something extra to your attacking game. If you are winning games, changes are not always necessary.

The second situation is, well, situational changes. Changing things to counter specific threats from the AI. For example, if the AI has a striker with 19 for pace and acceleration, I am not going to play a super high line. It is asking for trouble. If they have 2 DMCs and are keeping the ball, I will look to get pressure on them. An attacking fullback who is causing issues can be man marked by the winger. And so on. These changes I would make for one match only. I do not think it is too complicated either. Most of FM is just common sense. However we see the tactical side of things as complicated, and many people assume it needs a complicated response. The hardest part of making a tactic, in my opinion, is moving from thinking of individual players in isolation, to thinking of them as a cohesive team.

I’m similar in that I’d love to be able to create a tactic that will win me 50% of my games then it’s up to me to get players to push the win ration up to 85-90% of my games.

Closest I got was a 4-3-3 3 striker formation for a 1st season in the Prem after promotion team that got me to 11th.

Now what I do is find a downloadable tactic in the formation I like/want and then slowly modify it to how I want the team to play.

10 hours ago, duesouth said:

I'm not great with tactics - there are people on here who've forgotten more about tactics than I know

Well, this (example) setup of roles and duties suggests otherwise - it looks very good and well-balanced :thup: 

10 hours ago, duesouth said:

AF-a    DLF-s

IW-s      CM-d    DLP-s      W-a

FB-a      CD-d    CD-d        IWB-d

9 hours ago, Grifty said:

I’m similar in that I’d love to be able to create a tactic that will win me 50% of my games then it’s up to me to get players to push the win ration up to 85-90% of my games.

That's a tall order, given that even Teams that have completely run away from the pack in the modern era of financially completely unbalanced leagues (PSG say) oft still not win about 20-25% of their matches. Such added pointd drops that are almost a given in football, given its low scoring nature (and silly men trying to put the ball behind a defense and on target with their head and feet ffs). https://readlaliga.com/2015/11/17/real-madrid-highest-win-percentage-la-liga-history/ Plus, what if the Players are ****? :D 

On 21/06/2019 at 05:41, eliasojohansen said:

Hi. I'm a big fan of FM and really like it alot, but the fact and matter is that I suck at tactics. I usually start a save but ends up quiting before I've reached January. I can't create tactics, I just suck. I've watched alot of youtube videos explaining how they work and what would work, and I know that there is no ultimate tactic that works for everything. I've tried the presets, I've tried making my own, and I've tried downloading tactics (allthough I prefer to make my own or use the presets). I struggle alot with knowing how to fix up with the problems that occure. Whenever something happens, like I concede a goal, I can't understand what's going on and what I am doing wrong, I just don't understand it. I've had good saves before but I am slowly on a decline and on the phase of giving up completely, which is quite unfortunate since I have a lot of hours on this game and it's one of my favorites!

If anyone could give me some links for simple tutorials or come with tips to help my motivation or help me get better at tactics that would be great. I know alot about the game and have my routines such as giving my assistant multiple roles that I cannot perform. I also fill up the staff to upgrade it overall wherever I am. 

What you are facing is quite common actually, most people usually have an issue spotting what could be wrong with their systems. Perhaps a better way to approach this is to do it methodically.

1. Start with a good team and perhaps start on FM Touch where tactical familiarity is moot.

2. Create a system that you are familiar with, use minimal team instructions and player instructions.

3. Understand that this game is fundamentally about choosing the right players for the task. Now this is the part most people assume they are getting wrong, but are quite mistaken. A player's attributes influence how well he performs his selected duty. If you want an area of the pitch to be defended well and you expect a player to drop back and help support the area then you need to make sure the attributes required for that task are appropriate. Take a 4123 for example which plays with a DM and 2 central midfielders. Here we need the flanks to be defended so we need players who will get back and help defend. So these players need the attributes to perform that task ( Determination, Bravery, Work rate, stamina, positioning, tackling) This could be relevant even for a role like a Mezzala on attack. This escapes most people. Even the AMs on the flank can come back and defend, if they have the right attributes.

4. This is one of the reasons why I suggest using a good side, here attribute divergences aren't so big, so you can spend time understanding transitions more effectively. Now if you are using a good side and you think your tactic is good, and if you have done Step 3 well, chances are most of your transitions will be good ones, because your tactic is well designed. However if you are performing poorly, then there is something either wrong with player selection or your good tactic was not good after all.

5. Using good sides allows you to understand transitions and this helps you learn why a system may not be working. You will be looking for moves that build up and lead to shots on goal. If a move fails at any point, you look at that phase and work your backwards to see whether it was a flaw in the tactic or one of your players is just not doing what is expected. I had done videos in the past where i did breakdowns on transitions, and explained why something wasn't working as i had expected. My game changer series sometimes has episodes where i analytically break down why someone's tactic is not working by exploring failed transitions.

On 21/06/2019 at 23:39, Svenc said:

That's a tall order, given that even Teams that have completely run away from the pack in the modern era of financially completely unbalanced leagues (PSG say) oft still not win about 20-25% of their matches. Such added pointd drops that are almost a given in football, given its low scoring nature (and silly men trying to put the ball behind a defense and on target with their head and feet ffs). https://readlaliga.com/2015/11/17/real-madrid-highest-win-percentage-la-liga-history/ Plus, what if the Players are ****? :D 

I did say I’d love to be able to do it haha.

I don’t expect to win every game I play, but I’d say the aim to win the Prem is to win 33+ games in a season which isn’t far off 85-90%.

Archived