Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
ntw001

Blocking 'dream' moves

This is starting to annoy me a little bit.

I'm playing as Blackburn. We're in 2019/2020 season. Last year we finished 7th. This year its January and we're top of the league.

Last summer window I lost two players to premiership outfits that I would rather have kept; David Raya and Ryan Nyambe. They got unhappy mid-way through the year over wanting a new contract, so I signed them up, sadly this now included a higher division release clause despite my attempts to remove it from the contract. When bids came in I rejected them and got accused of 'blocking their dream moves'. Now if this was Man U or Liverpool I could get it, but it was Fulham and Watford. Hardly 'dream' moves. Now eventually the chasing clubs met the release clauses so I made about £20M but I had to panic buy to replace them because the release clauses were met with like 1 or 2 days left before the window shut.

This January I am in a similar situation. Bradley Dack had to be offered a new contact mid-way through last season (to be honest he probably deserved it; he's the best player in the squad), but again no practical option to not have a higher division release clause. I'm now receiving bids for him from Bournemouth. I rejected (he has a release clause for a reason), he went moaning to the squad and they backed him for blocking his 'dream' move. Bournemouth. Come on! I ended up using the 'you can accuse me of many things but weak management isn't one of them' response and it seemed to work.

Adam Armstrong also received a bid from Leeds (they didn't even get promoted last season, are 3rd in the championship, so why would I sell??). I rejected, he moaned to the squad, who accused me of blocking his 'dream' move. How is a move to a rival in the same division a 'dream' move? OK Leeds are a bigger club in terms of stadium and weekly attendances, but I'd hardly call it 'dream'. I used the same excuse as last time (weak management) and again it worked except with Bradley who stayed angry. Adam doesn't have a release clause.

Ben Brereton also had bids from a mid-level premiership club, but I managed to convince him to drop it by promising to strengthen the squad in the next window. Something that I clearly fully intend to do should we maintain momentum and get promoted.

I realise player ambition probably has something to do with it (Bradley and Adam are both ambitious players), but I just find it not realistic that a) they should demand moves away when we're clearly on track for promotion anyway (and there's no option to promise to sell them if we miss out on promotion) and b) these moves are hardly 'dream' clubs....

I can't. The agent re-adds it and locks it if I suggest that. Only option is to withdraw from talks.

42 minutes ago, ntw001 said:

I can't. The agent re-adds it and locks it if I suggest that. Only option is to withdraw from talks.

When you remove it the first time, also exclude it from negotiations. It could be risky, as the players may stop the negotiations, but it could be worth it. You will have to pay the player more though, and give bigger bonuses I assume to keep him happy with the contract.

Another point. Do not be afraid to have players moan about you rejecting bids. More often than not they will get over it once the interest ends. This is especially true for players on long contracts. They cannot leave anyway, so stick to your guns. Always make sure key players have more than 18 months on a contract.

Finally, I'd suggest keeping tabs on players and having a shortlist that contains players you would sign if you lost on of your key players. I do this as a matter of course these days. That way you avoid the panic buying approach of finding and signing a guy you are not entirely sure will work for you.

Posted (edited)

Ahh thanks - hadn't clocked the exclude from negotiations bit. Thats helpful.

I do keep a shortlist obvs, but primarily for building up the squad, not as a contingency for unexpected losses. Its a good idea.

However the additional problem you have is one of funding. I only get 25% of transfer revenue to spend, so I often can't replace lost players cos I simply can't afford a like-for-like replacement, never mind an upgrade.

Edited by ntw001

first option is remove, second option is remove forever from discussion

To be fair regularly playing in the top flight is a 'dream' to a lot of players, so don't think there's much of a problem with the terminology.  

On 20/06/2019 at 08:58, ntw001 said:

Then that means the player and his agent see your club as a stepping stone and wish to play in a higher league. 

When i see that players want to use my club as a stepping stone i just accept it and make sure whatever price i get for them is worth it. It's a necessary tradeoff. 

En 20/6/2019 a las 6:55, Neil Brock dijo:

To be fair regularly playing in the top flight is a 'dream' to a lot of players, so don't think there's much of a problem with the terminology.  

I kind of support OP's point, i could see players from a mid-low table saying that of bournemouth or fulham, but not a player in the team leading the championship, heck even the leeds situation proves the "dream" move is a little extreme, dream move should be a team on mid table of the next tier, not a team fighting for relegation/mid low table i could see the "i want to play in the premiership" moan, but not a "dream" same happened to one of my players wanting to go to madrid, he was gone on a free since madrid was behind him a 3 whole years and couldn't renew his contract.

After he was gone madrid got eliminated from CL in group stage and i won it for what he leaved? The difference between both clubs was small (both at 5 stars) i guess the problem here is the reputation difference is too low for that to trigger

I've found that as difficult as it is, any unwanted clause in contract can be removed by upping their bonus. Yearly wage increases, min release clauses, salary after reaching X games, etc. All of those are annoying to me and I'd much rather pay an extra 2.5 - 5  million up front than be hamstrung down the road. 

I always permanently remove the Yearly Wage rise from player contract talks. 

Any other clauses I really don;t want will be permanently removed and excluded at the first offer I make.

If they don;t want to negotiate from that standing I am prepared to move on most things) then the talks don't go much further. It's surprising how ften the agent comes back after a while and says 'My client is willing to talk to you again' after he fails elsewhere.

Ok so I have a different contract situation now.

I managed to buy Wonderkid Palaya Morilla for a stupidly low amount of money whilst in the championship. He's great; can play all across the AM line, pitches in with plenty of goals and assists and is developing nicely.

We got promoted to the Permiership in 2019/2020 season and he (along with a load of other players) came to me wanting a new contract. I promised them I would do it "at the end of the season". Now its the end of the season and I've managed to tie everyone else down apart from him.

As soon as I enter negotiations, the agent puts a 13M non-negotiable 'Champions Cup' teams release clause in. I can up the amount to 15.5M, but I can't remove it; its got the brown 'locked' symbol next to it.

I've broken off talks twice now as there's no way I want such a low amount in the contract. Anyone know how I fix this? I'm resigned to putting some kind of release clause in there if champions league clubs come asking, but its got to be higher than that. I sold my Championship Goalie to Fulham for 11M for xxxx sake. Why would I release a Wonderkid attacker for a couple of mill more??

I feel I need to fix this at next attempt or my repeated breaking off of talks will ruin our relationship forever. He only has 12 months left on his contract now.

I think you're looking too much into the 'dream move' wording. It's basically a player's way of saying, in FM's terms, that they want to take the step up. From what you've said, it seems a realistic request in almost all of the scenarios. 

It's frustrating, and i'm experiencing exactly the same with my Sheff Utd side, but the lure of the premierleague (or a team challenging for promotion to it) is too hard for players to turn down. You might not consider the likes of Watford and Bournemouth to be 'dream moves' but i'd stop reading into it too much.

58 minutes ago, ntw001 said:

Ok so I have a different contract situation now.

I managed to buy Wonderkid Palaya Morilla for a stupidly low amount of money whilst in the championship. He's great; can play all across the AM line, pitches in with plenty of goals and assists and is developing nicely.

We got promoted to the Permiership in 2019/2020 season and he (along with a load of other players) came to me wanting a new contract. I promised them I would do it "at the end of the season". Now its the end of the season and I've managed to tie everyone else down apart from him.

As soon as I enter negotiations, the agent puts a 13M non-negotiable 'Champions Cup' teams release clause in. I can up the amount to 15.5M, but I can't remove it; its got the brown 'locked' symbol next to it.

I've broken off talks twice now as there's no way I want such a low amount in the contract. Anyone know how I fix this? I'm resigned to putting some kind of release clause in there if champions league clubs come asking, but its got to be higher than that. I sold my Championship Goalie to Fulham for 11M for xxxx sake. Why would I release a Wonderkid attacker for a couple of mill more??

I feel I need to fix this at next attempt or my repeated breaking off of talks will ruin our relationship forever. He only has 12 months left on his contract now.

If anything, this is a brilliant replication of agent's demands in real life. Unfortunately, the player and his agent have got you by the balls. If you want to keep him you're going to need to cave to his demands and hope you get promoted or into europe if you're already in the Prem. Many many championship clubs have this issue in real life. Why would a wonderkid commit to a long contract with a club they see no real long term future with? It may change if you overachieve, but unfortunately this is modern day football.

I'm fine with him moving on if Liverpool or Man City come calling. As you say, thats real life. But they need to pay up. Being restricted to a 15M release clause value doesn't seem right to me.

Do we know if I up the agent fees or the player salary / bonuses that he'll allow an increase in the release fee?

1 hour ago, ntw001 said:

Do we know if I up the agent fees or the player salary / bonuses that he'll allow an increase in the release fee?

You can try, but probably not. From my experience the only way you can avoid that clause is to not sign the new contract at all. But then you will break promise and risk to lose him for free depending on the length of your current contract with him. If you have a few years in his current contract, I would break that promise and look to try to get to europe in 2 years maybe. Or just to sell him during that period for a higher price then that clause.

On 20/06/2019 at 09:58, ntw001 said:

Remove and Exclude the clause from future negotiations. Also those are not dream moves really it's just wanting a new stepping stone. 

2 hours ago, Rich6907 said:

Remove and Exclude the clause from future negotiations. Also those are not dream moves really it's just wanting a new stepping stone. 

This doesn't work in the latest example. I can't remove the clause because the agent locked it in the very first negotiation. I have used this tactic in other negotiations, but often it results in the agent upping the players weekly wage or his own fee.

ok - this is what I'm going to try. Leave until close to the transfer window ends and then agree to his demands. Then at least no-one can take him before Christmas. Just before winter transfer window, offer a new contract and see if they'll be more flexible on the release fee.

Posted (edited)

update. waited till window was shut and offered contract for the third time.

Champions Cup release clause was now at £42.5M, which is a bit more reasonable. not clear why they allowed it to be upped so much but hey ho. happier now. and so is the player :)

Edited by ntw001

On 25/06/2019 at 05:50, Snorks said:

It's surprising how ften the agent comes back after a while and says 'My client is willing to talk to you again' after he fails elsewhere.

I wonder if you have you experienced this situation with the top players as well when managing big clubs? To be honest, my experiences have hardly ended well..

Was in FM18, happened with AC Milan and Liverpool.

It's not common though. Lower Leagues smaller clubs I don;t bother, there are plenty of other players available usually.